PDA

View Full Version : Olympic games

John Pruden
13th July 2012, 10:08 PM
a security firm is said to be disappointed that it cant get staff and soldiers are going to do the job? i think its about time our troops protected us the people that appreciate them and the soldiers can get to see the games and do proper protection instead of protecting some toerag in a far of land that don't give a toss about our boys lives? jp

Tony Morcom
13th July 2012, 10:33 PM
It would have saved the country a fortune if they had considered using the services in the first place instead of paying G4 all that money for something they can't even deliver.

Keith at Tregenna
13th July 2012, 10:41 PM
Olympic Games:

Certain others will have a view, mine is stuff the Olympics, I have no interest.

Better to have built a few more state of the art hospitals etc ?

Just my view ?

K.

Red Lead Ted
14th July 2012, 12:27 AM
Water handball team are from the north west favorites to win gold in the Olympics, They have just secured there entry into the games as they are not sponsored HOW!!!!! By collecting there body weight in bottle tops. What a bloody great country this Great Britain is. :mymy: Terry.

John Pruden
14th July 2012, 08:54 AM
the armed forces will do a far better job than any security firm and it will give a few of our troops ring side seats for some of the events the troops are far better equipped for anti terror threats and i hope everything will go in good spirits. this firm G4 will lose money but that should be their headache maybe after the last fiasco in London were security were bussed into the capital and left there to sleep under bridges for the night would you apply for a job there!!!!!jp

Captain Kong
14th July 2012, 10:27 AM
The OLYMPICS will be of no asset to Britain, the Government says it will bring investment into Britain.
Every souvenir of the Games is made in China, all the teams Uniforms are made in China. All the steel for the structures of the Stadiums were made in China. Countless millions of pounds given to China
The British Olympic Games are a wonderful advertisement for Investment in ....... China.
HOW DAFT IS THAT.
For more than Five years we have been preparing for these Olympic Games, more than enough time to prepare our own British Made goods and materials. Thus creating more jobs for us and investment in our nation.
I despair of this once great nation.
Brian

alf corbyn
14th July 2012, 10:50 AM
i think its an utter waste of money. it also does not make sense. two swimming trainers from plymouth are in the news. training athletes from other countries.
at a previous royal event japan supplied all the flags etc.

Red Lead Ted
14th July 2012, 11:07 AM
Ask yourself the question why 3,000 troops? Sams on rooftops, chinook hicopter,s, The Airforce on red alert, Do they know something we dont. Just been anounced on sky news it is now 11,000 Troops being posted. Anyone going to the games could end up walking away with a veterens badge. { BLOODY WAR ZONE} Terry. :Seeya:

Captain Kong
14th July 2012, 11:14 AM
If there is a Security problem then the Public should be told what the problem is and where it is coming from and from who it is coming from and what to expect, then we can all keep away,
I know who it is coming from, why doesnt the Government take them out?
A few months ago the home grown terrorists of a certain Religion announced they were not going to attack the Olympic Games, but attack the transport systems instead as there would be less security, they have done that before.

Just have the games with the terrorists and the Security Forces. Winner take all.
Brian.

John Pruden
14th July 2012, 11:32 AM
the Olympics like the world cup is like a poison chalice everyone puts in for them but i think the majority of countries don't want it. give the Olympics back to Greece{that's were it started} permanently that might help there economy? as regards security imagine taking your post in your high vis jacket and coming down the road someone that has a middle eastern look with the same firms logo carrying a back pack i would be more interested in him than doing your job so all in all the troops are the best option plus some of the businessmen {in the now} have lost a few bob? so it proves the trough is not always full:pjp

Keith at Tregenna
14th July 2012, 01:43 PM
Why do countries want to host the Olympic Games?

The Games are seen by many to be a huge waste of public money. London: originally estimated at a cost of £2.4bn, the budget had by 2007 ballooned to £9.3bn. Now that it looks likely to come in at just over £9.2bn, organisers are claiming that the Games are "on time and on budget" ? But, which budget surely not the original £2.4bn.

Rather than seem to P on this parade, my own view remains the same, the Olympics are not my cup of tea. I do understand that many enjoy the games and will have a ball. But most will have to watch all either on TV or at Live Sites - a permanent network of giant outdoor screens in public squares with a piece of dedicated space in at least 60 major cities and county towns. This is necessary as the modern Olympic Games are always hosted by a city - not really by a country.

The cost of building facilities etc. for the Olympics is huge and may not help the economy of a country at all. Much depends on how these Olympic facilities are used after the Games - the Olympic legacy.

Hopefully after the Games, four arenas, three 50m swimming pools and the water polo pools will be disassembled and rebuilt in other parts of the UK. All the sports equipment used will also be donated to UK sports clubs and charities.

I do wish all our athletes well and ask that they go for Gold, otherwise all would be even more of a waste. I have faith in team GB, just cannot be arsed sitting around watching the stuff. Five minutes on news at 10 is enough for me.

Staging a large international sporting event means different things for different host cities, in terms of the Olympics, for Barcelona the driving force was regeneration, for Sydney it was about putting itself on the map as a global destination, for Athens it was about redefining itself as a modern European city.

All this means to me is travel chaos and sitting on the M25 for longer.

I do admire our athletes and those that compete, but it is all meant to be amateur, so why does it have to cost so much ?

I do hold more time for the Paralympic Games, a unique element of Paralympic sports, intended to ensure fair competition. As each sport at the Paralympic Games requires different skills and competencies, the impact of impairment on the performance of the athletes varies. That’s why each sport has its own unique classification rules.

K.

Captain Kong
14th July 2012, 02:46 PM
As I have posted before, My Uncle Ted was in the Olympic Games, in 1908 he got nothing, no expences or sponsership. Just told to be there. Today the Competitiors can become Millionaires. with the sponsers.

John Pruden
14th July 2012, 02:55 PM
no doubt some pen pusher will come up with some numbers to say it was all worth it{then lick his wounds}:pjp

Keith at Tregenna
14th July 2012, 03:02 PM
Someone needs to have a quiet lie-down here then have themselves fired. This is sport, for heaven’s sake. It is fit people running around and throwing things and hitting each other with sticks and having a swim. It is entertainment. It doesn’t matter. It is not important. It is supposed to be fun. Otherwise there is no point. If, at any time surface-to-air missiles are involved, you know it cannot be fun.

Olympics should be in Africa, South America or Asia – places where thousands of visitors would be welcomed not resented, where local businesses would thrive as a result, not some American mega-corp fast-food outfit. But this is not a sane world, clearly, because we now have guns capable of shooting planes out of the sky guarding a gigantic international school sports day.

LINK: A Gold Medal for getting us to hate the Olympics - Mail Online - Michael Hanlon's Science blog: From The Cutting Edge (http://hanlonblog.dailymail.co.uk/2012/04/a-gold-medal-for-getting-us-to-hate-the-olympics.html)

K.

Red Lead Ted
14th July 2012, 03:10 PM
KIETH M8 I want to see the ring master of London Boris Karloff the mayor ? Sat bang smack in the middle of his glorious olympic stadium {But i dont think i will?} Regards Terry. :hair_raising:

Keith at Tregenna
14th July 2012, 03:41 PM
There is an awful lot that is good about the Olympics, an awful lot and one if you actually like them.

Does make my blood boil a bit with the 80 year gran, suffering and on a waiting list for a hip replacement etc and London spending 20 - 90 Billion on behalf of the country in times of austerity.

Football will be shared around the country at existing National venues, Much to do with sailing will occur of the South Coast, the country could have shared the event and a few hospitals been built and the NHS etc rescued ?

K.

Ivan Cloherty
14th July 2012, 06:28 PM
Keith I find myself agreeing with all your reasons for not having the Olympics, as it could bankrupt us and money could be wiser spent, tourists already know where we are and the sponsors are taking legal action against small shops who even dare to put five rings in their windows and one old lady was told she would be prosecuted if she did not remove a cake she had decorated with five intertwined rings from a "Bring and Buy" event, who the hell is reporting (spying) on these events.

I think you will find that the first Olympic football match is being held in the Cardiff Stadium, but I could be wrong

Rgds Ivan

Keith at Tregenna
14th July 2012, 06:41 PM
I really am not anti the Olympics:

Just anti farce:

Will roll with: Sited above the White Cliffs, the very front line of World War Two, the final embarkation point for many of those who gave their lives in World War One. The creation of the memorial will be a single great gesture detailing the names of the 1.7 million individuals who made the ultimate sacrifice in the two World Wars.

We still talk monies: but a worthwhile cost:

THE UNVEILING - 3RD SEPTEMBER 2008

Merchant mariners are a forgotten service of war-time, yet key to survival, for, without them vital supplies could not have been transported. Over 30,000 British merchant mariners lost their lives in World War II, and some 17,000 in the Great War.

Plans have recently been unveiled to create a new national war memorial in Dover. The proposed memorial would stand in Drop Redoubt, a disused Napoleonic Fort on Dover’s Western Heights.

It would include a series of free-standing stone walls listing all those from the UK and Commonwealth countries who died in the First and Second world wars - an incredible 1.7 million names, making it unique in this country and probably the world.

If successful, the plan is to open the memorial by 2014, the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War.

The first Merchant Navy Day was held in 2000, on 3rd September. This was the anniversary of the torpedoing of the SS Athenia, mistaken by U-30 for an armoured cruiser, some eight hours after war had been declared against Germany in 1939.

On Merchant Navy Day 2005 Donald Hunter, retired Merchant Navy man who had served during the Second World War, proposed a Merchant Navy memorial in Dover. Three years and nearly £50,000 of fund-raising later, the new memorial, situated on Dover seafront, was unveiled.

Plans have recently been unveiled to create a new national war memorial in Dover. The proposed memorial would stand in Drop Redoubt, a disused Napoleonic Fort on Dover’s Western Heights.

It would include a series of free-standing stone walls listing all those from the UK and Commonwealth countries who died in the First and Second world wars - an incredible 1.7 million names, making it unique in this country and probably the world.

If successful, the plan is to open the memorial by 2014, the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War.

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-18438245

LINK 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiInhoAmFfE

Tony Wilding
15th July 2012, 12:01 AM
I am not interested in it, ok for those who are, every souvenier sold in London for a few years now is made in China, including those at the National Maritime Museum, a Soldier reported that half the new Security do not speak hardly any English, another G4S Security Member stated its impossible to fail the Job Application, all pass who apply, G4S is supposed to be the biggest Security Company World Wide, the large Military presence is for one of 2 reasons, either someone knows of a threat, or to warn off potential threats. sooner its over the better, London will be utter chaos.

j.sabourn
15th July 2012, 03:14 AM
The Olympic Games to me lost most of its attraction, when the amateur status was taken away. Now I see it as many sports, as a means of income to the participants. I suppose it is like the old Town councils when councillors were unpaid and did it out of a sense of responsibility to the community. I certainly wouldnt pay probably the very large entrance fees to some of these venues, the same as I wouldnt to see some of these so called shouting rock bands. Sportsmanship lost its attraction when big money became involved. Cheers John Sabourn.

Glenn Baker
15th July 2012, 06:20 AM
The Olympic Games is a total waste of money in my opinion, we are sending 470 autralian sports people over there and all they can talk about is how to win a gold medal .
they are egotistical people who think they are the best in the Country how can they be the best when they havent competed against every single Australian, they are simply just a selected few.

They built a huge stadium in sydney when we had the games and the Stadium is now a white elephant.
while people are struggling to get a job in the UK and pay their mortgages and things are so tight how come they found billions to spend on this stupid waste of money.

They have made cutbacks everywhere in the UK but the Pollies found the money to spend on this ridiculous flaunting of selective importance. every Name dropping parasite will get a fee ticket and wine there. plus all the Zulu Presidents and all the other republican wasters that dont spend their money on the people..

Olympics had a big hand in sending Greece broke think about it. all the best Glenn

Jim Brady
15th July 2012, 08:44 AM
Why are we such a bunch of doom and gloom merchants in this Country,nothing but negativity thats why the Country is in the state that it is in.Without the Olympics the 80 year old would still be waiting for a hip replacement,hostpitals and schools would still not being built and life would be going on just the same.I dont think there was one word of positivity and this is the whole story of G.B..We have the Governer of the Bank Of England and other so called economists in. the media and all they want to do is talk down the state of the economy and it could be 2015/2020 before we are out of it.What kind of message does this send to the consumer.It puts people in fear of loosing their jobs and so wont have that new fitted kitchen,extention ,loft conversion or other home improvements which in turn puts the tradesman out of work which puts the manufacturers out of work and so on and so forth.If these people in power spoke with more positivity I'm sure that there are ways of talking yourself out of recession.I dont think that there are many people in the country that are not in fear of loosing their jobs because of the doom and gloom brigade.Think positive get behind our athletes that have trained bloody hard to get where they are and dont forget without the Olympics we would't have the Paraplegics,I think we could all learn something from these people who are far less fortunate than us.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Tony Wilding
15th July 2012, 09:54 AM
It must be rather difficult for people to think positive now, never knowing when you may be made redundant, or haveing to re apply for a job where you have been working for years, even people on benefit through no fault of there own are not safe from cuts, news of big bonuses for bankers and fat cats getting fatter while the majority are being taxed out of existance. not good reasons for positive thinking.

Keith at Tregenna
15th July 2012, 10:30 AM
Let the Games begin:

The Games' will open on 27 July, they will continue in years to come in other City venues, so be it. Just not my cup of tea as stated previously. I am certain they will entertain many and be a sucess. Just I would prefer possibly to decorate my house and watch the paint dry.

Hopefully, Team GB, will do good for the country and although I will not be watching, do support every effort they make.

Just all the other stuff going on makes it all sound more like a war zone rather than a huge leisure centre.

Rain, the G4S security fiasco, a cracked flyover, officials selling tickets on the black market… all this and more, yet the Games are set to be a triumph.

Critics remain convinced that the London Olympics is worth its weight in gold, but only if you count the bounty that will accrue to the corporate sponsors – among them McDonald's and Coca-Cola.

LONDON 2012 OLYMPICS: HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSERS, TAX AVOIDERS AND FRAUDSTERS WELCOME...

LINK: Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: London 2012 Olympics: Human rights abusers, tax avoiders and fraudsters welcome... (http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/332925/London-2012-Olympics-Human-rights-abusers-tax-avoiders-and-fraudsters-welcome-)

Vast vessel: The Royal Navy's largest ship has been carefully manoeuvred into position on the Thames, where it will be used during the Olympic Games as a base for helicopters and military personnel

Read more: London 2012 Olympics: Makeshift barracks where thousands of troops will live during the Games | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2173703/London-2012-Olympics-Makeshift-barracks-thousands-troops-live-Games.html#ixzz20gYABQf2)

The kids will be out playing spot the sniper again, rockets on roof tops and security in camouflage fatigues and the latest RN ship based on the Thames with helicopter gunships and the RAF on the ready.

I know the country has to protect against the threat of terror, but all this will make me give the London WAR ZONE a miss for the duration.

LINK 2: London 2012 Olympics: Makeshift barracks where thousands of troops will live during the Games | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2173703/London-2012-Olympics-Makeshift-barracks-thousands-troops-live-Games.html?ito=feeds-newsxml)

K.

Jim Brady
15th July 2012, 10:42 AM
Keith,everything you have just posted is negative,as I said thats whats wrong with the Country.Tony cant see any future neither.I rest my case!!!
Regards.
Jim.B

Captain Kong
15th July 2012, 10:54 AM
The Country is Good, it is just that we have always had Bad Leadership, that only think of what they can pocket.
I read that Bliar wants to make a Political come back, what is he after now.? more money?

Keith at Tregenna
15th July 2012, 11:24 AM
Keith,everything you have just posted is negative,as I said thats whats wrong with the Country.Tony cant see any future neither.I rest my case!!!
Regards.
Jim.B

Not my cup of tea and I will not get up to smell the coffee:

Negative about the Olmpics: I agree with that !

I made my point that the Olympics are not my cup of tea, the rest is basically world news. I need say no more and rest my case also. I am certain that many members do and will enjoy the event and someone else will be more positive, I will of course look in, pos someone can change my mind: Doubt it, I just do not and never have liked or enjoyed many sports.

Not supporting the likes of athletics and tennis etc, will not prevent me from supporting Britain.

B F N.

K.

Jim Brady
15th July 2012, 11:52 AM
Keith,I have no plans for watching the games,I wll watch the boxing if it is on whilst I am at home.My point was more todo with the state of the country because of the feeling of hopelessness by the vast majority of the populace.The Country should be talked up by Mervyn King and others,not predicting another 5/10 years of misery.World recession many other Country's pulling out of it so why are'nt we!!!!
Regards.
Jim.B.

Tony Wilding
15th July 2012, 01:25 PM
i Have nothing against the Olympic Games, just not my scene, and i think very badly organised, the security , the situation where the Arena is sited, the disruption to London traffic, and Londoners going to work, one venue on the South Coast where the Yachting events are held, the whole seafront has been boarded by 6 foot fence so residents cant watch for free, in front of Hotels and Guest houses,, nice when you have paid for a holiday there,! the catering prices are shameful, give a sandwich a fancyname and charge double for it, ATM,S will only accept Visa cards in the areas around the stadium, tickets are only for the rich, and allocation most unfair, No not my scene,! only the big multinational companies will make money there, they pay a fortune to get the catering rights, then the cost is charged to the captive audience, to cap it all half the security is is untrained, not British, cant understand the Language, just one big Fiasco, at treble the original estimated cost,, my opinion, only hope it runs smooth,and no incidents there.

Captain Kong
15th July 2012, 01:58 PM
That is Disgusting Tony.
It is the biggest turn off in Decades. I didnt know they could barracade a Sea front with six foot fences. The local population should pull them down. and foreign security unbelievable. Why do we have to live in a cess pit.?
Brian............. on my way to the Asylum.

John Albert Evans
15th July 2012, 03:30 PM
For what its worth I would have thought that for the benifit of the whole country the NEC would have been a better place to hold the Games. It is virtually in the centre of the UK. It has ready built hotels there, its own airport, train station, canal port and connecting roads to all the major motorways. Huge parking spaces for cars, caravans, buses and space to camp. There is ample space to have built the main stadium and Swimming pool and athletes accomodation. the remainder of the sports could have been as they are now, except that there was no need to have a purpose built country cycle track as there are two international sites already in Wales. I suspect that our MPs would have baulked at the idea of people from London having to travel to the Midlands, themselves included. I hate to be thought of as a cynic but I wonder how much money will have been made by Lord Coe.

John Albert Evans.

Keith at Tregenna
15th July 2012, 03:52 PM
Had not thought in particular of Birmingham, but Brum would have been great, existing stadiums and venues around the country as with the football would have better made a British Games rather than a London Olympia and possibly a fraction of the cost ?

AND A BALTI TO BOOT !

Meanwhile, attempting to put the Great back into Britain at LINK: http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/general-member-discussion/15425-making-britain-great-again.html

K.

Gulliver
15th July 2012, 04:13 PM
'QUOTE Tony Wilding one venue on the South Coast where the Yachting events are held, the whole seafront has been boarded by 6 foot fence so residents cant watch for free, in front of Hotels and Guest houses'

Tony,where did you see that?
If you mean Weymouth then apart from the ticket-holders arena,there’s going to be public giant screens in the town,which to my mind is better than trying to view the events through binoculars anyway.
Not seen anything about barricades on the sea front..

Anyway,in general,-Personally I ‘m not all that much interested in the Olympic Games, but we've got them and I wish people could be more positive about it.
This is Britain staging them ,not some third world country…

And if we are complaining about using our Armed Forces as security for these Games, or the foreigners complaining about too much security everywhere then at least it’s showing us and the world that we take security very seriously,and I’d rather pay them to protect our country right here,than in some backwater like Afghanistan..

Keith at Tregenna
15th July 2012, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=Gulliver;95461] RE: Anyway, in general, Personally I ‘m not all that much interested in the Olympic Games, but we've got them and I wish people could be more positive about it.[/FONT][/SIZE]
QUOTE]

It is difficult to support something you just do not like, may seem negative, do support anything that is good for the country, may become convinced that this is good for the UK, But will be watching the traffic lights change in Aylesbury in preference.

Hopefully the masses will enjoy all, but the last bit of the games I found intersting was is her name Monica Seles (Grunting tennis players: illegal or annoying?) LINK: Grunting tennis players: illegal or annoying? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=r1RW4Iiqeys)

And the poster as a kid in my bedroom:

The famous saucy picture was licensed to Athena and became an instant best-seller when it was first published as a calendar for the Queen’s Silver Jubilee in 1977 – the year Virginia Wade won the Wimbledon singles title.

The photo was released as a poster which became a worldwide sensation and adorned the bedroom walls of teenage boys for a generation. 10185

NOW THAT WOULD BE WORTH WATCHING: AGAIN:

K.

Tony Wilding
15th July 2012, 05:50 PM
It was in the National Press about the fences along the seafront at Weymouth months ago.

Jim Brady
15th July 2012, 06:41 PM
Tony,was it that comic The Daily Mail ?????
Regards.
Jim.B

Keith at Tregenna
15th July 2012, 06:58 PM
JIM, You have no plans for watching the games, and wlll be watching the boxing if it is on whilst you are at home. Your point more to do with the state of the country because of the feeling of hopelessness by the vast majority of the populace would require your input in another forum that I have started for you: If Typhoo put the Tea in Britain who in the world put the really rude word in Scunthhorpe.

Let those that want to enjoy the Olympics do so and join me in repairing Britain :

LINK: http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/general-member-discussion/15425-making-britain-great-again.html

K.

Tony Wilding
15th July 2012, 07:44 PM
It was on the News on the Internet, also in Weymouth a Public Park is being fenced in,a viewing tower erected and the Public are being charged £20 to£50 each to watch. all agreed to by the local council, they allready pay Council Tax to use that Park.

Keith at Tregenna
15th July 2012, 08:05 PM
Interesting fact...

In World War Two Weymouth beach was used for practice landings by the Army, and was closed off with barbed wire fencing.

Fencing if at Weymouth appreciated, fences:

Just adds to the War Zone Image and feeling now:

K.

Glenn Baker
15th July 2012, 11:39 PM
I(ll put it to you in a more clearer way about the olympics.
When they have to run drug tests for every competitor to check if they are cheating or not , then its time to give the games away.
When you have to spend millions of pounds having security and guns on buildings rockets etc then there is something seriously wrong about who is entering the country.

When total distrust has reached the stage where it is now, the money and Billions of pounds of it would be better spent on Creating industry, or building a few pleasure ships to cruise around the UK, or using the money to make life easier for Aged care people in nursing homes.

Its not about negativity its about pre wastage of Billions of pounds when the govt just a while ago told you all the Money bin was empty and cutbacks like Police services and the Armed forces were being cut back.

Most ordinary people wont even be able to afford to see any of the Olympics, and all the facilities will become dumping grounds for Illegal Immigrants afterwards.

A few Billion pounds would create plenty of jobs in recession hit area,s.

Throwing a Javelin will create nothing.

happy daze john in oz
16th July 2012, 06:19 AM
Must agree with Jim #22, so much negativity not only in UK but here in Oz as well. Went to a lceture a couple of weeks ago about economic crisis. The main problem is no one is prepared to look at even the smallest bit of good news. But as for the games, we had them here in Sydney, going to set the country on fire, do so much for us, still waiting!!! Had the commonwealth games a number of times, same result. It costs the country a great deal of money but the returns do not justify the expenditure. The only benifit is the infrastructure left behind. Athletes villages becoming housing, new sporting satdiums that may otherwise not have been built. But there is also a lot of disruption to the locals, hotels and restaurants do well, as does some private dwellings let out during the time. Bit like the curates egg, good in parts. As for the media, they are just another bunch og parasites who would spin their grannie if they thought there was something in it for them.

j.sabourn
16th July 2012, 06:25 AM
What about the next great meeting of our world leaders in Brisbane. I reckon shes getting her own back on Queensland. Cheers John Sabourn

Gulliver
16th July 2012, 07:30 AM
In Weymouth? I doubt many pay it Tony!:rofl:

Those fences?

Weymouth& Portland Council:-
“The decision to close off the gardens has prompted rumours of other fences being set up to block views of the sailing race areas. There are plans to build security fences around the national sailing academy, where teams, boats and officials will be based, and the athletes' village on Portland.
However, the organisers insist there are no schemes designed to block anyone's view of the water.They say they want to include everyone, pointing out that those without tickets to Nothe Gardens will be able to follow the races from Weymouth beach, where a big screen will be set up.”

That quote is not from the Daily Mail.(God forbid) !

Back to my thoughts again.
About those fences round the Gardens?

You will find that the decision by the council to utilise the park and earn some money by opening Nothe Gardens as a paid viewing venue ,is opposed by those anarchic Brits who have no intention of watching the Games anyway but ,just like the summer riots of 2011, want to bring down the country and protest by kicking everything that Britain tries to do for it‘s residents..I heard the two other groups of ‘dissidents’ who don’t like the idea are the down and outs who won’t be able to leave their syringes and empty vodka bottles in the park,after another good night out , and the dog-walkers who won’t be able to let their pooches sh*it all over the place in the morning.
And at least no residents are going to have their homes demolished,like they did to build certain venues for the 2008 Beijing Olympics !

Damn,I sound like a Guardian reader now. Maybe I’ve finally grown up……..:faint:

Gulliver

happy daze john in oz
17th July 2012, 06:56 AM
What about the next great meeting of our world leaders in Brisbane. I reckon shes getting her own back on Queensland. Cheers John Sabourn

Methinks it is her back she should be watching!!! I can see a Ruddy great knife lurking in the wings.