PDA

View Full Version : neville

Neville Roberts
11th July 2008, 12:45 PM
the orient boat ORONTES, was the worst one I was on. and the ORIANA. was the best all round they were both Orient line boats . but PO took over shortly after the ORIANA was launched.2 berth cabins . a crew pool, and closed circuit TV. WOW that was cutting edge in 1960. sinks in every crew cabin and piped in radio, 2 channels. movies twice every week .

happy daze john in oz
12th July 2008, 05:10 AM
Movies at sea were sometiens good. Remember on one trip on cargo ship we had a movie show on deck it was so hot. Screen was see through so you could watch from either side. In a John Wayne movies depending which side of the screen you were you could not tell if they were coming or going. ;)

Doc Vernon
13th July 2008, 08:57 AM
the orient boat ORONTES, was the worst one I was on. and the ORIANA. was the best all round they were both Orient line boats . but PO took over shortly after the ORIANA was launched.2 berth cabins . a crew pool, and closed circuit TV. WOW that was cutting edge in 1960. sinks in every crew cabin and piped in radio, 2 channels. movies twice every week .

Hi Neville,
My late Uncle George Van der Poll served with the P&O Line for many years after leaving his first company of UCL.which he was with from 1955 to mid 1966
Not too sure on the dates with P&O but was around the end 1966 to 1982 and was on the Himalaya first then on the Sea Princess (old Kungsholm i believe)
Various jobs but main one was Head Barman on the Sea Princess.
Funnily enough in March of 1980 when we arrived in Aus (immigrated) and not long after that the Sea Princess docked in Sydney,so i was able to catch up with him after about 12 years!
Cheers
Vernon

alf corbyn
25th July 2008, 10:47 AM
hi neville. nice to hear from you. i recently picked up a video of the orontes oronsay and orsova.haven't watched it yet. wish they would poduce some of the other lines.cheers. alf

Doc Vernon
25th July 2008, 11:04 AM
hi neville. nice to hear from you. i recently picked up a video of the orontes oronsay and orsova.haven't watched it yet. wish they would poduce some of the other lines.cheers. alf

Hello Alf mate,
Thanks for the helo on the other post.
there is a place Alf that you can get a lot of good old Videos from if you want to see more of the old Ships.
I have 2 on the UCL and have really enjoyed them.
Go her and see what they have,
When page opens just click on the Video at top and then browse through all they have!
Cheers and good hunting!
Vernon
Hope you are keeping well mate!:D

http://www.snowbow.co.uk/index.html

alf corbyn
28th July 2008, 08:22 AM
hi vernon. have now reached my centenary. thanks for the info on vids. cheers. alf:D:D

Doc Vernon
28th July 2008, 08:35 AM
hi vernon. have now reached my centenary. thanks for the info on vids. cheers. alf:D:D

Hi Alf,
Well mate thanks for joining the oldies haha!!
Yes the Videos there are good,and thet have a good selection!
I like your Avatar too,very cute indeed!
See now all the fuss is over most everyone on here now has an Avatar! At last LOL! Whew!!
Keep well and keep smiling Alf!
Cheers
Vernon:D

Brian Gates
24th October 2008, 10:14 AM
Hi all, any one here who sailed on the 'Orcades' between sept 1968 - feb 1969, be glad to hear from you.
Brian Gates, R768931.
setag.b@btopenworld.com

Laurie 796028
6th December 2008, 12:10 PM
Hi Brian,

I was a Bedroom Steward on the ORCADES at the same time you were on the ship and I left her in August 69.
and all I can remember from that trip is two deck hands Pete and Dave both from Leicester and they were never sober.
I know we sailed from Southampton on the 24th September to LE HARVE / LISBON /BARBADOS /TRINIDAD / PANAMA CANAL / ACAPULCO / LOS ANGLES / SAN FRANCISCO / VANCOUVER / HONOLULU / SUVA / AUCKLAND and arriving SYDNEY 27th November then Aussie Cruising then Home Via the Cape arriving at Tilbury docks on the 3rd February.

Last Ship HIMALAYA 1974 Paid off in HONG KONG ship went to the scrapyard in TAIWAN and I boarded a plane for Australia and have lived here ever since.

What did you do on the ORCADES?

Cheers
Laurie

Doc Vernon
7th December 2008, 02:32 AM
Hi Laurie,
Welcome to the site mate,hope you have a great time here with lots to read and see!
I notice by your post that you were on the Himalaya,and am just wondering if you read my post above!

'My late Uncle George Van der Poll served with the P&O Line for many years after leaving his first company of UCL.which he was with from 1955 to mid 1966
Not too sure on the dates with P&O but was around the end 1966 to 1982 and was on the Himalaya first then on the Sea Princess (old Kungsholm i believe)
Various jobs but main one was Head Barman on the Sea Princess.'

You didnt per chance know of him at all,as he was i know a very popular Guy!
Went by the name 'Dusty"

Thats him on the extreme right of Pic!
If you right click and open in new Window you will get better view of him!
Thanks again!
Also please see your Private Message

Thanks

xyyJo
16th February 2009, 11:26 PM
Hi Neville, you are right about the orontes, i sailed on it too. Were you on it when it hit M****illes harbour while homeward bound to tilbury, after that we scrapped it in Valencia. My next ship was the Oriana, and you are right about it, big chance. I spend 2 years on it, engine room department, another big change! Did you by any chance know Eddy Bragg from Tilbury, he was on the Orontes many years, even during WWII, he ended up coming to Valencia with us.It was Eddy's favourite vessel

Neville Roberts
17th February 2009, 01:55 PM
I wason the Orontes aug, 58 to nov ,and the Oriana oct 1960 to march 61, maiden voyage,only did the one trip on each , I should have stayed on the Oriana , but at that time I did a trip a ship, wanted too get around and see the world, Ha, Ha,until the Empress of canada, for my last three years on the briny:rolleyes:

David Williams
25th February 2009, 09:41 PM
Hi Neville.
I did one trip on the Orcades and a couple of other Liners,
but soon went back to tankers/cargo boats,apart from one
ship,all I sailed on had single berth cabins,and a few had
small pools.Good old days??

Dave Williams(R583900)

Neville Roberts
26th February 2009, 01:59 PM
Hi Dave dont let the name fool you , peoplep thought I must be gay with a name like that :D: had too defend it many a time :eek:I was never on a ship with single berths , some cargo boats that had two bunks but one crew member in them, and Dave I was single all my 10 years at sea , so I had to have as much fun as possible. no regrets:rolleyes:

David Dickinson
6th October 2009, 04:01 AM
Hi Neville. I started off on "Otranto" as a Cadet Purser and spent a whole voyage (3months) below deck understanding the operations of the Pursers department as it was called in those days. Then to "Orsova" and finally "Orontes" when I swallowed the anchor in 1957 and joined the Company in Sydney. I retired from P&O in 1986 and now live in Victoria, Australia. Regards David. PS I do enjoy this site but being one of the oldies I dont think many shipmates from my vintage go on line that often.

Doc Vernon
6th October 2009, 04:53 AM
Hi David D
Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
So sit back,relax and just enjoy the trip!
Hope we will have you here for a long time!
A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!
Cheers

Note Well

If you would like to join in and have your Full name R Number and First Ship
Included in the Flag project then please pass it on to Mike Hall who is doing a Main Flag for all
to be displayed some time in one of the UK Museums!
We need your names to get the New Flag full,so please do respond!
Thank you
Vernon (castleman)

Please go to following Link

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1974

Or reply to me in person! Via Private Message Link and I will pass on the info!

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=18

If you have already done this then please accept my apologies!

I am sure you will find quite a few of your Vintage (very good Years) haha!
here online at certain times!
Just keep awake and you will see them popping up !:D

Doc Vernon
6th October 2009, 04:56 AM
Hi XyyJo (name please) thanks!

Hi
Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
So sit back,relax and just enjoy the trip!
Hope we will have you here for a long time!
A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!
Cheers

Note Well

If you would like to join in and have your Full name R Number and First Ship
Included in the Flag project then please pass it on to Mike Hall who is doing a Main Flag for all
to be displayed some time in one of the UK Museums!
We need your names to get the New Flag full,so please do respond!
Thank you
Vernon (castleman)

Please go to following Link

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1974

Or reply to me in person! Via Private Message Link and I will pass on the info!

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=18

If you have already done this then please accept my apologies!

happy daze john in oz
6th October 2009, 05:05 AM
David welcome to the site. If you care to add some dates to your list of ships you may well hear from some who knew you. Yes there are a few of the older brigade on here but they are still very active, and it is good to see another name in Victoria.:eek: