PDA

View Full Version : Canada Day

Dennis McGuckin
1st July 2012, 04:05 PM
Would like to wish you all a 'Happy Canada Day' July 1st.
Been here 44 years July 10. When we arrived we didn't know it was Centennial year.
Thought all the flags were in honour of our arrival!!
Great country to live in.
Den.

Keith at Tregenna
1st July 2012, 04:54 PM
Canadians also celebrate a 145th National Birthday:

From coast to coast to coast, communities put their unique stamps on the day. On Parliament Hill, the Peace Tower carillon will ring in British-legacy military pageantry, including a 200th anniversary look-back to the War of 1812 and a concert. Elsewhere, people will celebrate with citizenship ceremonies, maple beer swigging, a yoga fest, block parties, some cheering for our Olympians, kicking back at the cottage, horse shows, “O Canada” singing contests, a Montreal “mega-cake,” salmon barbecues, Inuit games, bannock-making, a Bollywood fashion show, line-dancing, and all manner of revelry.

"As the world goes, the challenges we face are modest and the resources we can marshal are vast. Canadians are strong, united and confident. With national leadership and vision, there is little that we can’t accomplish. There is much to celebrate today and good reasons to wave the flag".

Enjoy !

LINK: On Canada Day 2012, show the flag for all of us - thestar.com (http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/article/1219677--on-canada-day-2012-show-the-flag-for-all-of-us)

K.

Keith Moody
1st July 2012, 05:06 PM
Dennis in Vancouver

Yes it stretches all the way across Canada, but whilst you are having a late BBQ, we shall be thinkng of watching the fireworks!!!! and those on the east coast will be in bed!!!! what a vast country this is and what a wonderful place to live, I have been here since 1972 and cannot think of a finer place to have moved to.
We in canada listen to all the folks on this site moan and groan about good old England but when it comes down to it you all have a choice of where you want to live and with that goes the problems that every country has of one sort or another, yes we have them here too. but the advantages outway the disadvantages and thats why it is a good place to live.
happy 'Canada Day" to all my onsight friends accross the country, and to the rest I hope you all have a happy day too.
keith moody
Winnipeg,
Manitoba,
Canada

Jacyn Wade
1st July 2012, 09:18 PM
And a Happy Canada Day to you as well. It's been a beautiful day here in central Ontario so far, with festivities in small towns everywhere. Saw the Snowbirds fly over Orillia yesterday and will be watching fireworks from Blue Mountain this evening. All in all, a lovely weekend.

Cheers!
Jacyn

Doc Vernon
1st July 2012, 09:34 PM
Hello old Friend!
Well hope you had a good Canada Day (not Canada Dry haha)9992
Sorry i am a wee bit late,but actually Yesterday on the 1st July it was my Sister-In-Laws Birthday on the day!
We went to Gosford Central Coat Leauges Club,to Celebrate it!
Hope things are not too bad with you! and Family!
Keep smiling mate!

The Birthday Girl is travelling to Canada as well mid July,will be visiting her Cousin in Toronto!

Take care Den!
Doc Vernon

Awish for you too Jacyn! Hope the day was great,at least you say the Weather was good!
It was Snowing here in the Blue Mountains (here too)on the 1st July! Brrrrr!!

Jacyn Wade
1st July 2012, 10:08 PM
Thank you, Vernon, for your wishes. Your Blue Mountains appear much more impressive in size than ours, ours resembling more a large hill than a mountain. Our Blue Mountain marks the beginning (or the end, depending on one's point of view) of what's known as the Niagara Escarpment and runs for miles towards Lake Ontario. It is a very popular place for skiing in winter, though, and the view from the top over Collingwood and Georgian Bay is spectacular.

Stay warm... ;)

Jacyn

Doc Vernon
1st July 2012, 10:43 PM
Hi Jacyln
Our Blue Mountains are also very large in Area,and if you go up futher towards the Snowy Mountains about 4 hrs from here there are lovely Ski Slopes all over very popular resorts!

I love it here in these here Mountains!

Ski Fields, Snowy Mountains, NSW (http://www.southcoast.com.au/snowy/skifields.html)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Mountains_(New_South_Wales)

Lou Barron
1st July 2012, 10:58 PM
Canada as one of the countries that i took a fancy to .Vancouver i really liked the place i did think of jumping ship there .I also liked St John

Tony Morcom
1st July 2012, 11:39 PM
Believe it or not Lou I also came very close to jumping ship in Vancouver in June '77. We were there for 6 weeks after discharging and awaiting orders. Not untypically for a young newly qualified 3rd mate, I met and fell in love with a girl and the sparky fell in love with her flat mate. Our last night there was a very long night for me and him trying to decide whether we were going to stay or sail. But sail we did. The sparky subsequently jumped ship in Singapore and flew back there. The first big regret of my life was not going with him, the 2nd was coming back to the UK and marrying the girl I was already engaged to which led to the single biggest mistake I ever made and that was leaving the sea at the end of '79. My mother told me some years later that the girl had been trying to contact me via them for nearly a year after I left Vancouver. I've always wondered whether this was true love or was it that I have a son or daughter that I don't know about?? Guess I will never know as I have never been able to contact her again.

Richard Quartermaine
2nd July 2012, 03:58 AM
I am a bit late but just opened my PC. I left the sea in the UK in March 1953 and went to Canada on the old QE to NYC and the train to Toronto where my uncle George had immigrated to after being demobbed after the first World War. I got a job with the (Canadian) Western Assurance Company in Scott Street, Toronto and had two and a half years there. Left just after the the new subway train lines opened and Eatons and Simpsons were independent stores. Wonderful country and wonderful people. I still have cheese my apple pie and wonder what could have been had I made it "My home for years to Come".

If you like a good story about Canada in the depression of the 1930s and the life of a "Mountie" in the Arctic, Canadian John Owens has recently written a novel that is based on reality. it is "On the Rails" featuring a lad from Winnipeg.

Here are some pictures I took just before I left in September, 1955.

Dennis McGuckin
2nd July 2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks for all the good wishes on Canada Day.

Just a couple of comments.
Keith I live on beautiful Vancouver Island.Not Vancouver. Us Islanders are very particular about that.
Jacyn. You folks on the other side of the Rockies don't know what a real ski hill looks like.
I can say that with a certain amount of authority after teaching skiing for more than Twenty two years over a large amount of this country. Including Whistler.
Also fantastic powder skiing in the Rockies and central B.C.
Don't know anything about Vernon's mountains though.
The above comments to be taken in the spirit they were given.
No offence please.
Regards.
Den.

Keith Tindell
2nd July 2012, 04:41 PM
Hi Dennis,
I also loved Vancouver Island, only saw a small part, Comox, Courtenay,and a couple of days across to Tofino, sure is a nice part of the world, my cousin lives in Comox. I also think that Vancouver is one of the nicest cities that i have visited, closely followed by Perth WA. With the weather we have here in Uk at present i envy you. Regards KT

Jacyn Wade
2nd July 2012, 04:42 PM
Den, no offense taken whatsoever and even though I am not a skier, I quite agree. First saw the Rocky Mountains 6 years ago and was awestruck; they are absolutely beautiful. However, our little Blue Mountain is all we've got and the view from atop is beautiful. Hope you are enjoying the same brilliant weather we're having here in Ontario.

Richard, yes, it's a wonderful country but you wouldn't recognize Toronto now. Lived most of my life there and glad to be out of it now. The subway lines have extended themselves greatly and are continuing to do so and, most sadly, the old Eatons store is long gone, replaced by the Eaton Centre, a large mall and the recent site of a deadly shooting. So sad to see the city go this way...

Cheers!
Jacyn

Keith Moody
2nd July 2012, 05:14 PM
sorry den. didn`t mean to insult you by saying you lived in Vancouver, just one of the slip ups i seem to make the older i get.
I have visited both the island and main land of BC and think it is beautiful countryside all over, there is an exception though and that is around 100 mile house where they took all the trees away, looked a bit baren last time i was up there in the 1980`s, I too have relatives living in Vancouver and also Prince George whom we visit on a regular basis, but not this year due to the flooding out there.
we on the other hand are in the middle of a heat wave, no rain in Winnipeg for the last week and apart from a shower this afternoon nothing in the forcast for another week except highs today of 32 and the rest of the week around 27-29, WONDERFULL!!!
we will be thinking of this weather in december when the temps. drop to -35-40.
jaycn, I know how you feel about the mountains, we have one here called Riding Mountain, Well the Manitobans call it a mountain but when i went to school in Dover ( England) I had to walk up a bigger hill than this just to get there.
in regard to ski slopes, yes even in the middle of the prairies we have them, some are man made others are natural, not as big as the BC ones either, most people have heard of the RED RIVER VaLLEY, this depression in the ground is quite deep in places which lends it slopes to ski resorts in the winter, so we have 10,000 lakes to fish and water ski on in the summer along with some fantastic beach`s for swimming and all the winter sports you can think of, what a wonderful country, what more do you need??????
keith moody
R635978

Jacyn Wade
2nd July 2012, 05:45 PM
I hear you, Keith. It doesn't really matter where you live in Canada, there is something for everyone. As much as I love the Great Lakes, personally, I really love the East Coast, or at least what I've seen of it which is only New Brunswick and Nova Scotia so far. Fell in love with Lunenburg a few years back and I'm dying to see the rest of it, Cape Breton, PEI, Newfoundland and Labrador. One of these days...

Cheers!
Jacyn

Dennis McGuckin
2nd July 2012, 07:59 PM
Hi Keith, as I am sure you know. Courtenay is a part of the Comox Valley. We are just 4k from Comox. Also agree with your comments regarding Vancouver. Lived there when we first arrived. Love the Island best though.
Give me a call when next in the area.

Jacyn. I have heard of your mountain. Have skied Calgary Olympic Park.
Believe that was also built out of garbage or some sort of waste.
Love the old comment from a Prairie man.
When asked how he liked BC, he replied. Not bad, but the mountains spoil the view!!
No doubt you have heard that one, but non Cunucks may not have.
Den.

Jacyn Wade
2nd July 2012, 08:17 PM
Yes, have heard that one, Den. Trust a prairie man! Found the mountains a bit claustrophobic, myself, and not too turned on by the prairies. Couldn't live without a large body of water nearby - would prefer the ocean but the Great Lakes will do for now.

Cheers!

Doc Vernon
2nd July 2012, 10:00 PM
Hi to you both!
Here is just a little Vidoe of the Snowy Mountains Area,its not just about the Skiing,but may give Den and you Jacyn a look at the other side of us Mountainmen!
Its a beautifull part of the World,and the Ski Slopes are very large as you will see!
Well just a small insight!
This is of course quite an old Video,and much has improved since then!
Many more Ski Slopes,Lifts etc!
Hope you may enjoy this!
Cheers

Roof of Australia - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utegBJHVYS4&feature=related)

Best vision from Perisher Blue - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqyvorlpjNI&feature=topics)

Dennis McGuckin
2nd July 2012, 10:47 PM
Hey, good stuff Vernon.
Looks like nice snow.
Some years back, I was asked to go to OZ on an exchange program for instructors. For some reason I declined. Think it had something to do with my Bride.
Also had the same offer from Japan.
A large percentage of the instructors on our mountain [30 minutes from my house] are from OZ and NZ.
One of my friends used to bring over a bunch to Whistler for six weeks of training for level 1 and 2 CSIA [Canadian qualification]
Think now they have their own standards down there.
Always fun guys to ski with. Sometimes they were known to have the odd party!!
Den.

Lou Barron
3rd July 2012, 01:39 AM
I have enjoyed reading these posts and i must admit Vancouver Island was really beautiful it is something like NZ fiordland we also have some very lovely mountains all within a few hours drive from where i live not that i am a skiing fan i love living near the sea

Dennis McGuckin
3rd July 2012, 02:33 AM
Hi Louis.
Interesting you should say that.
The west coast of Canada reminds me a lot of the NZ coast.
Is it just me, or do others think that Vancouver is a bit like Durban?
Den.

Richard Quartermaine
3rd July 2012, 12:21 PM
Sooke, Vancouver Island, BC
My next door neighbours here in Katoomba left for Sooke, Vancouver Island with their Huskie dog Ruby more than a dozen years ago. Glen and Kay Lovett. Kay Is Canadian and Glen an Aussie. She is is an accomplished fine artist and he draws adventure 'comic' series such as The 'Adventures of Jasper'. Jasper was one of their huskies they had in Park Heights Road, Sooke and was part of the sled team they adored.

They came by and visited us a few years ago. Nice people.

Richard Q

Dennis McGuckin
3rd July 2012, 02:47 PM
Hi Richard,
Sooke is just a couple of hours south of us, this side of Victoria. Renowened for it's good Salmon fishing.
Also an artist location.
Den.

Duke Drennan
3rd July 2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks for all the good wishes on Canada Day......................................

Hey Den,
You fail to mention that the finest weed in N America is grown on Vancouver Island. Beautiful place indeed.

Lou Barron
4th July 2012, 01:09 AM
Having been to both Vancouver and Durban i think they are similar in some ways but Durban would be a bit warmer but both are very nice places and both had some really nice girls that when i was a lot younger

Jacyn Wade
4th July 2012, 01:27 AM
There are nice girls all over Canada, Lou... I'm sure Durban is a fair bit warmer, BUT we Canadian girls know how to keep warm here... ;)

Cheers!

Dennis McGuckin
4th July 2012, 03:54 PM
Hey Den,
You fail to mention that the finest weed in N America is grown on Vancouver Island. Beautiful place indeed.
Hey Man. That would be BC Bud.
Best weed [so I am told] is from Denman and Hornby Islands. Both in Georgia straight five minute ferry ride from the big Island.Think it is their main source of income.
Two Mounties on both Islands.I believe they are very happy there!!!
Den.

Lou Barron
5th July 2012, 01:42 AM
Yes Jacyn the nice girl in Vancouver i met she wrote to me for a couple of years after i left Vancouver and i did keep in touch but coming to NZ it came to a end ..I even had anice photo of her but thats a long time ago

Duke Drennan
5th July 2012, 02:03 PM
"So I am told"....Aye, right Den, I hear ya, (man). Retired and living on Vancouver Island with Bud for company, now that's what I call ..NICE !!!