PDA

View Full Version : Well almost there!

Doc Vernon
21st June 2012, 03:56 AM
I have made the Decision Lads and i will be off on the 3rd Sept 2012,God willing!
Today took the plunge so to speak and booked my Itenary!

Paid a deposit $3000 with balance $1525 due by next Thursday 28th,so plenty of time!
This Total $4525 includes the Insurance,and the 3 day stay at a top Hotel in Paris!

Will be going to Paris Flying Etihad Airways first for 3 days to see the old Fort at Vincennis near the Gare De Lyon Station if it is still there? Then the Eifell Tower,and the Arch de Triomphe.
Then just take in some more sightseeing,and a few memories of the past!

Then off to London Heathrow with British Airways arriving on the 7th Sept!
Will try and catch up with Brian before going off
to Birmingham by Train to see my dearest Daughter! Just for 2 or three days as i havent too long in the UK. only 7 Days in all!

Will really endeavour to get to Southampton,to see George and possibly one ot two others if they are around.posibly George can get one or two together?? Leave it with you mate!
I want to desperately get a Photo of the Flag that Mike donated and also the one i sent!
Also then take in a few Sights of the old place! Yes George i know i will get lost haha!

Its off to Cape Town next leaving from Gatwick Airport with Emirtaes on the 14th Sept to see my dearest Sister,its been a long break nearly 10 years now!

Will be there for a futher 9 Days leaving on the 24rd Sept back to Sydney via Johannesburg with South African Airways from CT to JHB then again Emirates to Sydney arriving Sydney 25th!

Then Irene and myself are off on a Car Tour the Following Weekend,no plans as to where as yet!

So thats it,now all i have to do is WAIT!!! Damn!!!

This is the hardest part !!! Eeeeeekk!!:eek:
Cheers

Ivan Cloherty
21st June 2012, 08:20 AM
Hope you both have a good trip, enjoy it, but sounds like you may need a holiday after that lot.

Bon Voyage

Ivan

Captain Kong
21st June 2012, 08:35 AM
Vernon , still an adventurer, ENJOY.Cheers
Brian.

alf corbyn
21st June 2012, 09:40 AM
hi vernon. very pleased to hear you are going to visit your old barracks in gay? paris. will try to be in southampton to see you but cannot promise. enjoy yourselves mate and take good care of irene. best regards . alf

Tony Wilding
21st June 2012, 09:40 AM
hello Vernon, WOW, what a trip, good luck too you, enjoy it all, France, UK and South Africa, hope the weather here is kind to you, you are right mate, the waiting does your head in,

Doc Vernon
21st June 2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks Lads!
Alf it would be so nice if you coud make it,but i will fully understand if you cant mate!
Will seee what happens!
Take care
Doc!

Michael Lawrence
21st June 2012, 12:39 PM
Have a great trip mate and lets hope the waether improves for you when your here. I'll 'ave a word with Brian(Kong) he's bound to know someone in the weather dept.,:th_thth5952deef:

Captain Kong
21st June 2012, 01:27 PM
It will be a Sunny week when Vernon is in UK he wont want to go home,
:cool:
Cheers
Brian

John Arton
21st June 2012, 03:13 PM
Vernon
Your itinery would make anyone jealous.
For yourself it will be magical to see your sisters, its been an age since you last saw them. I have not seen my brother or sisters for around 6 yrs now and they only live on the otherside of the country so if and when we do meet up it will be a day of talk and drinkies, just like yourself.
Have a great trip, stay safe and beware frenchmen bearing gifts.
rgds
John A

Tony Wilding
21st June 2012, 03:17 PM
hi Vernon, you leave OZ 6 days after i leave here, going in opposite directions, i planned to go a year ago, but many disasters along the way, worst was when i lost a part time job at Christmas, that was my flight fund, had a big clear out here, so all OK now, sad to sell my collection of model ships but that funded furnishing my house in Cebu, all done now, i got my ticket with Cathay Pacific for just over 600 , after lots of searching for months, looked at same flight again today, price has increased to almost 1000, so i was lucky, expect you will be happy to visit South Africa again, but i think very different now, last time i was there was around 1968, exchange rate for the Euro is good now, in your favour, over 120 to the pound, best wishes, Tony.

Ivan Cloherty
21st June 2012, 03:36 PM
, exchange rate for the Euro is good now, in your favour, over 120 to the pound, best wishes, Tony.

Eh Tony if I send you a couple of hundred quid can you get me some Euros please! :rolleyes:

Tony Wilding
21st June 2012, 03:49 PM
WOW, what a clanger,! should be 1.24 to the pound, :tr_oops:

Doc Vernon
21st June 2012, 07:57 PM
Hi Tony W
Glad that all you plans etc have worked out too mate!
Its sommetimes very daunting making decisions in life,but has to be done at times!

Gees i wish that exchange rate was real haha! I would be going much futher and faster too LOL!

Yes i am excited about seeing my Sister in SA ,and then also my Daughter in Birmingham!
As said there is a big change in SA,i was there in 1998 and then it was so different!
Done a lot more since then too according to news i get from my Sister!
But then parts of Cape Town are still the same, not many i know!
Be an eye opener for me ! haha!

Hope that you enjoy everything you have managed to accumalate,sounds nice the new Home etc! Now is this just s Holiday place! You not moving there are you?

Anyway whatever you do enjoy and most of all BE HAPPY!!:D

All the best
Cheers

Awe! you just shot me down in flames! Exchange rates not what they should be LOL!

Doc Vernon
21st June 2012, 08:09 PM
Hello John A
Will definately be a buzz seeing the Sister again after 10 Years mate!
Pity i am only on the Ginger Beers haha!

Also so looking forward to seeing the Daughter in Birmingham again too ,its been 9 Years

I will not worry about looking out for Frenchmen bearing gifts John,all i will look out for is French Woman bearing more than just Gifts LOL!:D

Tony Wilding
21st June 2012, 08:40 PM
hi Vernon, when i go, thats it mate, not coming back, no more cold weather for me, council tax or massive heating bills,, tv licences, YUK, am poor here, a wealthy man there, anyway she wont let me come back, need somone to look after me now, fed up being alone, 2 years i have known her on sunday, 9879

Captain Kong
21st June 2012, 08:46 PM
Very nice Tony,
Has she got a Sister?? Anne pack your bags I am off too.
Cheers
Brian

Doc Vernon
21st June 2012, 10:27 PM
Good on ya Tony
Have a lovely life mate,be good to your LADY,and she will return it for sure!
Can i take a detour there ,mabe i can find another one too haha! Opps! Better not let her indoors see this! LOL!

All the very best for your futures!
Cheers

Thats both you and me Capt haha!

Tony Wilding
21st June 2012, 11:55 PM
Thanks Vernon, you would never believe the poverty and conditions she was living in when i first knew her, shared a room with her sister and 3 children, slept on the floor, but allways so smart and clean, first time she slept in a proper bed was 2 months ago when i got furniture for our house, she painted every room, never does anything without asking me if its ok, has kept receipts for everthing she has bought with the pesos i send her, never had a fridge, was 34 when i met her and never owned a watch, or anything else,so sad, never had a cell phone, 6 year olds have them here, have seen her on skype almost every day for 2 years, got her a tv last week, fridge arrives next week, to me its just an ordinary small house, but she is so proud of it, cleans it every day, says she still cant believe she lives there, if you question why she has not got something, the answer is allways, no choice cant afford, just resigned to there fate, so kind and allways so polite, she is a country girl, parents have a small farm, she is not streetwise like some there, so its my pleasure to spoil her, she was working 60 hours a week in a hospital for less than 25 a week, made me so angry, best wishes, Tony W.

John Callon
22nd June 2012, 12:05 AM
Hi Vernon

I don't have to tell you to enjoy your vacation as with an itinerary like yours I am sure you will. Pity you are not taking in Bonnie Scotland and in particular Loch Lomond as I have said before you are more than welcome at my humble abode. Enjoy my friend.
Regards,
John

Lou Barron
22nd June 2012, 12:52 AM
What can i say but say good on you i hope that both you and your wife will have most enjoyable holiday .Some one said watch the French women its not that you have to its the traffic they enjoy scaring people also if you have time in London go to Tower Hill and see the MN memorail BON Voyage

Lou Barron
22nd June 2012, 12:56 AM
To Tony i wish you all the happiness in your future life and take care LOU

Doc Vernon
22nd June 2012, 12:57 AM
Hi John C
Pity time is of the essence on this John,but who kmows mate!
Send me you Phone Number just in case!
You can send it via Private Message John,and your address too!
Thanks for the words and kind offer!
Cheers
Bonnie Scotland Forever!:th_thth5952deef:
And laying onthe Banks Loch Lomond !!;)

Keith at Tregenna
22nd June 2012, 01:15 AM
[QUOTE=Doc Vernon;93213]I have made the Decision Lads and i will be off on the 3rd Sept 2012,God willing!

Only just realised the significance of your departure date:

MERCHANT NAVY DAY
September 3rd Every Year

I see the ensigns flying, my heart fills with pride,
I see our colours carried, with seamen by my side,
I remember ships and mariners - ( and the debt we owe)
Now resting in the oceans, fathoms deep below.

Joe Earl Aug. 2010

THE MERCHANT NAVY WAS THERE EVERY DAY

The commemoration this year is later than norm, will confirm all, any chance you could make Tower Hill, would be great ?

K.

Doc Vernon
22nd June 2012, 03:02 AM
Hello Keith
I would dearly have loved to make the Day mate,but i am only in London for 3 Days being the8th/9th and 10th Sept and i fear that i wont be held then!

Yes the Flight date is a good one for me,and i did realise the significance when i Booked!
I aws wondering when someone would pic that up! Well done that man!!

Will wear my MN Blazer and Badge with pride on the Flight and hopefully educate some in Flight! ??:rolleyes:

Nice little Poem there mate!
Keep well

Doc!

George
22nd June 2012, 08:28 AM
Will really endeavour to get to Southampton,to see George and possibly one ot two others if they are around.posibly George can get one or two together?? Leave it with you mate!
I want to desperately get a Photo of the Flag that Mike donated and also the one i sent!
Also then take in a few Sights of the old place! Yes George i know i will get lost haha!

Hi Vernon, You will find that the old place has changed a lot since you were last here, that's for sure. It will be nice to be able to meet up with you and share that POT of TEA, hahaha. Vernon you must let me have a day and time so as to give me chance to organise something.A phone number would be good.
George
in Southampton

Doc Vernon
22nd June 2012, 08:44 AM
Hi there George
Hope you may find one or two others to join us in a Cuppa haha! At the Local Pub that is!!??

I will now definately be in Southampton on the Day of the 10th Sept, and leave again on the Afternoon of the 12th back to London!
Awaiting confirmation on my Hotel Booking !

Dont know what time the Train will get there from London on that day,so if we make it on the 11th Sept somewhere within southampton City! Possibly meet up at the Bargate! You name a time and i wll be there!

So not much time there, but still better than naught!
Cheers !Thanks
Doc!

Keith at Tregenna
22nd June 2012, 04:29 PM
Hello Keith
I would dearly have loved to make the Day mate,but i am only in London for 3 Days being the 8th/9th and 10th Sept and i fear that i wont be held then.

Doc!

If it had not been for the Olympics and a change of date for the Tower Hill Commemoration, If I have got my maths right, could have got you a pint in at Wheatherspoons by the Tower ?

Will follow your agenda and attempt a meet up if pos, Southampton could be possible ?

K.

Doc Vernon
25th June 2012, 05:43 AM
Slight change George
I will still be arriving Southampton Main Station on the 9th but it will be a late arrival,so straight off to the Hotel (Jurys Inn Southampton) so we can meet on the 10th at the Bargate by the Arch! From there possibly the Juniper Berry for a few Pics and Pints haha! Then whatever ! I will also have to leave you Guys (whoever may be there) at about 2pm,have other things to do! I also leave Southampton on the 11th now not the 12th!
But will have most of that day there too,late Train back to the Big Smoke!
Hope this is acceptable to you and others!
Cheers

PS Just looked at number 69 Cheriton Avenue where the old Love of my life used to live,it hasnt changed one bit! Amazing!!

Hope you can make it too Keith!!

Tony Morcom
25th June 2012, 07:00 AM
Reading between the lines Vernon it appears you may have been let out on your own for this trip:confused: Is that right or is Irene coming along to keep you in check?

Doc Vernon
25th June 2012, 10:30 AM
No Tony
You are correct its a Solo Flight!
Can do and go as i please now! haha!
Her turn comes next Year !
We do it this way so as we can really enjoy the Holiday!
Just our ways mate!
Cheers

I will be having a Ball!!!

Doc Vernon
13th August 2012, 11:15 PM
Yes Tony
there are many Lines in my life that have gaps in between,some really good and others not too good!
But its a fact mate,a lot of us oldies have some hidden secrets,i only wish that i knew a lot more about what happened when all Grogged up!
Could be many little Macs walking about these days who knows! LOL!
Cheers

Sorry for late reply!

happy daze john in oz
14th August 2012, 06:22 AM
Vernon mate, believe me there are some parts we are better never finding out about. Have you any idae the cost of maintainance these days???????

Doc Vernon
14th August 2012, 06:29 AM
Yes i have John my poor Son fell into that trap,but thankfully now through it .
But the silly bugger got another Lady,and wallah we have another Grandson!
It now is another long road for him,but at least they are still together!
I am not worried now as any who may be walking around with the little Mac name is well and truly over the Maintenance Hill haha!
Cheers

Doc Vernon
28th August 2012, 06:28 AM
I have sent an Email to all my contacts regarding me being away from the 2nd Sept up to and including the 27th Sept this being as i am going on Holidays!

So this is just for anyone else that may not have received that Email for whatever reason (sorry if i did miss you) but can all please hold any Emails to me during this period!

I will not be looking in while away,as i have a very busy and tight schedule,so any Emails sent will not get any replies !

I had suggested that the best way would be to delete my Email contact from your address Book,for the duration,and then you can always add it again after my return!
This way will ensure that when someone send out say a Joke etc to all your Email Contacts it will not get sent to me!
Thank you for your co-operation in this matter!
I will Post when i get back!
Cheers

Now be good and behave ! LOL!;):eek:

Thanks for moving this Tony it is more appropriate here! Cheers

Captain Kong
28th August 2012, 08:19 AM
Hi Vernon,
I am so sorry that I will not be able to go down to Southampton to see you this time.
I have hospital appointments on Tuesday and Wednesday 11 and 12 September, also my niece will be over from Wollongong that week so I am stuck
. Catch you next time I get down to Sydney.
Cheers
Brian.

Doc Vernon
28th August 2012, 08:42 PM
Hi Capt
Sorry that you will not be able to catch up mate,but then thats life isnt it,there is always something that has to be done!
Dont worry my Friend i quite understand! Hope al goes well at the Hospital appointments! Take care!
I am sure you too are looking forward to your Duaughter being there with you !
All the best,i will have a Pint of Ginger Beer for you haha!
Say hi to all there for me!
Catch you again one day i hope!
Cheers

Captain Kong
28th August 2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks for that Vernon, so sorry, That means I will have to go all the way back to OZ again.
Have a good trip.
Cheers
Brian.
.Vernon mate, believe me there are some parts we are better never finding out about. Have you any idae the cost of maintainance these days??????? Unlike HD John
, DId any one ever use condoms in the old days when leaping ashore after all the young and not so old ladies????
That is why one day YOU will get a knock on the door, DADDY you ******

John Callon
28th August 2012, 08:50 PM
Bon Voyage Vernon,
Have a safe and happy trip and hope everything goes just as you planned. I know you won't be in my part of the world, but if things change and you find yourself on the bonnie banks of Loch Lomond, then let me know, you are always welcome here.
All the best Vernon,
enjoy your holiday,
John

Keith Tindell
28th August 2012, 08:56 PM
Have a good time Vernon, ex shipmate Keith tindell Sterling Castle, although we never met on board Best regards

Doc Vernon
28th August 2012, 09:06 PM
Thank you ALL for the good wishes!
Yes its a pity that i wont be able to take in Bonnie Scotland,part of my Heritage! Grandfather hails from Inverness!

Dont worry Capt. i know that you will again hit our Shores here downunder!
Take care!
Cheers

Catch up when i return!

Thanks also in advance to any others that may post wishes for me!
Cheers

Oh well Keith at least we met in a roundabout way on the old Sterling Castle,we were as you say Shipmates!
You know one never knows,with all our runing around on board and ashore we did most probably bump into each other,not knowing then that we would be on this site! Strange World!
Take care too shipmate!

Doc Vernon
30th August 2012, 03:55 AM
This is just a short Apology if anyone has sent me Emails and hasnt received a reply!
Reason being that i have over the past two days had endless trouble trying to send out Mail!
I just Today found out that my ISP was rejecting my Outgoing Emails,now dont ask why its too Technical for me!
Anyway they have now reset my Modem and i have now had to enter a new password! But thank goodness al is now back up and working!
So again Apologies!
Thank you and dont forget from Sunday to hold all Emails to me!
Cheers!

happy daze john in oz
30th August 2012, 05:57 AM
DId any one ever use condoms in the old days when leaping ashore after all the young and not so old ladies????

Kncok, knock, who's there??? Quick out the back door before they see me.

David Williams
29th September 2012, 02:54 PM
Hi Vernon.
Needless to say,I was gob smacked to read that you
had been in the UK.If I had known,I can assure you that
I would have been at Southampton to meet up with you.
I hope that you enjoyed yourselves,maybe we shall meet
up at your next visit to the UK.My regards to Irene.
Dave

alf corbyn
29th September 2012, 03:51 PM
hi davey i wish you had been there it would have been nice to see you again. i enjoyed meeting vernon very much and also george colin syd and sue.
unfortunately i will not be seeing them again as i have given up driving, owing to a couple of nasty attacks.

donald w gillies
29th September 2012, 07:05 PM
Hi Doc
Hope your tour went smoothly far exceeding your expectations and that you bring back many good memories. Next time you will have to include Scotland. So you are from Inverness? did I see somewhere you're a Macdonald? now with my interest in genealogy and a quarter Macdonald myself I can not but wonder will there be an Island connection there, one of my Grand uncles went missing in Africa and another one died in Inverness, Ho Ho Ho! just a thought.
Slainte!
Donald.

Doc Vernon
30th September 2012, 01:31 AM
Hi Donald
Yes i really enjoyed the trip,and was really amazed at all the changes over the Years!Took in Paris,the UK,nad South Africa.
Everywhere i went it was so good and people all over too willing to assist in any way!
Yes my Grandfather and his Father etc hailed from Inverness so much a Scott myself,and bleedin proud of it too i must say!
Pity the trip was too short to get to Scotland,but possibly the next time round!

To Dave
My friend,well mate i had posted a long time before my departure,so i hope you dont blame me!
So sorry that you didnt see the post earlier,it would have been great to see you too!
Had a great meet with the other Lads!

Alf
My dear friend,i am sorry to hear that you have now given up driving,but mate i do really understand!
Next time i will make it my business to get to you. I hope that your trip back was not too tiresome,and that the Weather wasnt too bad either,as the forecast when wasnt of the best mate!
Thank you so much for the great effort you put in to come down! That my dear friend i will not forget! God Bless You!

To George
It was great to meet you too at last friend,and although we never had that Cuppa haha! we had a lot better didnt we!?
Gee it still doesnt seem real that we actually were together!
Thank you for the Scenic Drive around the Town and all the old haunts! It was great!
We must do it again!

To Colin
Nice to have met up with you Colin,a good few yarns from all there and i enjoyed the company a lot,thanks mate!

To Syd and Sue
Thank you both for the effort as well to make it down by Coach to the meet,it was really good of you to do that,i hope that your trip back was good one.
You are looking very good Syd and Sue,thanks for the great time and company
Sue that Skype name doesnt work as when i type it in it says not found??
Can you please ask Syd to send it again! Thanks! He can send it through George that way i can also get your Email address,Irene says she would love to talk to you!
Cheers

SO TO END TO ALL CONCERNED

Once again a very BIG thank you to one and all for the great meet!
Pics will be posted in time!
At present i have so many Pics etc to sort out it will take me some time yet!

Hope you all get to read this!
Cheers
Doc Vernon

Des Taff Jenkins
30th September 2012, 03:47 AM
Hi Vernon.
Welcome home, boy did that go quickly, glad you had a great time over there.
Cheers Des :rolleyes:

Doc Vernon
30th September 2012, 06:29 AM
Hi Des
Thanks for the Welcome Home mate! Yes it did go very fast,but had a great time all over!
As said will try and post something much later!
A lot to do at home etc!
Cheers
Vernon

Chris Allman
30th September 2012, 08:41 AM
Welcome home Doc, been very quiet without you ;) Glad you had such a great time.

Chris

Doc Vernon
1st October 2012, 07:46 PM
Possibly some have missed this Post so here it is again in case!
Cheers
Vernon

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/general-member-discussion/15142-well-almost-there-5.html#post103943