PDA

View Full Version : Air fares

Tony Wilding
14th June 2012, 09:08 PM
I have been looking for International Flight Fares to Cebu in the Philippines for a few months , every day the price changes, usually upwards, last week the cheapest was just over 1000 pounds, even though they say much less on the advert, when you try to book it doubles, some were 1400 last week for economy class,most through travel agents, so today i went to Cathay Pacific book on line website, many price variations there also, looked at departures in August, up untill the 27th it was over a 1000, but next day same flight , same departure and arrival time, same route London, Hong Kong to Cebu was just over 600 pounds, so thats my day to go, booked the ticket befor it changes again, has anyone flown with Cathay Pacific, ? a new one for me, last one was Virgin Atlantic, was not really impressed with them,Sri Lankan were better, i dont like flying, looked at the option of going by a container ship, is as dear as a cruise liner,

Keith Moody
14th June 2012, 09:54 PM
Tony,
remember that all airlinesare trying to stay alive in this mad world where airlines like Ryan air are trying to give the lowest fares but charge other costs for anything else to do with your flight, I spent 16years with airlines and to my mind, Cathay Pacific was one of the best airlines I ever traveled on, it always had a good reputation for service, punctuality and good clean aircraft. this was a few years ago and like all the things in the world could have changed ( but i hope not).
the fares vary due to time of year when passenger loads change, ie.... holiday times etc.
I wish you a good trip and an enjoyable flight (even though it will be a long one ).
keith moody
R635978

Tony Wilding
14th June 2012, 11:17 PM
thanks Keith, someone else gave good reports also, yes it will be my longest flight , ten hours was previous longest, so boring, as its a one way trip its not so bad, also never been there befor so quite exciting.

Peter F Chard
15th June 2012, 12:08 AM
Cathay is part of the Swire Group ( China Navigation Coy, Swire Offshore etc ) and I have always found them to be very good, staff are polite and the service is good, cheers Peter in Auckland.

Lou Barron
15th June 2012, 12:49 AM
Hi Tony I recommend Cathy Pacific my wife and i flew to the uk .Having flew with a few different air lines i would say they would be one of the better ones regards lou

Peter F Chard
15th June 2012, 03:37 AM
This is nothing to do with air fares but just a recollection of my time at sea -- I was sailing with China Navigation, part of the Swire Group, and was changing ships and needed to get from HongKong to Singapore. I flew Cathay, also part of the Swire Group and found myself at the rear of the plane. I think I was the only passenger on the plane who was not a member of the Morman Tabernacle Choir who were touring the Far East. After take off the cabin staff brought around the drinks trolley and to the utter surprise of the cabin staff all offers of an alcoholic drink were refused but a soft drink was OK. By the time the steward had reached me at the back of the plane he was totally cheesed off that no one wanted one of his cocktails but brightened up when I said I would have a drink. Sir, he said, you have made my day, I will leave the trolley here for you to help yourself ! And he did, a trolley of beautifully made Dry Martinis. That was one of the best flights I have ever made !!! Cheers Peter in Auckland.

happy daze john in oz
15th June 2012, 06:04 AM
Tony, Cathay is a good airline are is Emirates, Thai, Garuda (believe it or not) Singapore, but what ever you do don't try Quantas or BA. They think service is something you have done to your car. Gulf nad Ethiad also offer some of the best service around.
Tony, I assume you are taking a one way ticket. From my experience this is the hardest to get a good deal on, they want you to come back. Shop around on the net, you will get a better deal than through an agent, and you should be able to get something. I have found that it is sometimnes easier to get a one way if you leave it until about a month before you go.

Captain Kong
15th June 2012, 08:37 AM
Hi,
Flown Cathay Pacific , excellent airline,
I was joining a tanker in Japan, there was the Captain Mate and me Third Mate.
We were sat in a row, in working class, The stewardess came to me and said `Excuse me Sir but that seat you are on is prebooked, would you mind moving? I said `Where to`, she says `to the First Class , if you dont mind,`
I said `Thanks`, The Captain says, ` I am the Captain, I will go to First Class. ` The Lady says , ` Sir you are Not Captain on board this plane, your seat is your seat.` He was furious. I got up and went . Fabulous treatment a pair of slippers to put on and free drinks with full silver service. He tried to give me a hard time for the next five months.
Tony sometimes it is cheaper to buy a return flight than a single, I tried several times last year to buy cheap singles to LA and come back from OZ single. I bought returns and saved a few hundred pounds. Try That.
A Single ticket to L.A. was 920 I got a return ticket for 440 with BA, just went one way.
Not happy with QUANTAS, just came back from Singapore on the Big Double Decker A380, inside so cramped and no space, very uncomforable seats and too close together, the woman in front of me let the back of her seat down and it hit me in the face knocking off my reading glasses. quite painful and she got a whole mouthful of seafaring language, ignorant bitch. No chance of getting out of those seats in an emergency. Never fly on a Double decker.

Cheers
Brian.

Tony Wilding
15th June 2012, 09:16 AM
HI, thanks for all advice and experiences, as i am not a citizen of Philippines i have to have a return ticket, and the price is often dearer for a single, u can stay 30 days with no visa, or get a 59 day visa u can keep renewing out there up to one year, then u have to leave, people usually go to hong kong for 2 or 3 days then come back, but i can apply for permanent retirement visa there. just a one off visa, the problem with the Arab Airline is they go via Manila, so 3 flights from UK, London to Doha, Doha to Manila, Manila to Cebu, Korean Airlines the same, via Seoul and Manila then Cebu.takes 36 hours, Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific only 1 stop, either Singapore or Hong Kong and less than a 2 hour wait for connection to Cebu, only 16 hours total time, apparently Manila Airport is classed as the worlds worst international airport,, Cebu is a much nicer area, one of our members lives in Cebu , and we are in contact, regards, Tony W

Captain Kong
15th June 2012, 10:13 AM
Last time I flew to Manila was on Philipine Airlines, Anne and I flew from London to Bankok then to Manila. In Manila we landed NEAR THE AIRPORT, we had circled Manila Bay dumping fuel from the wings, they could not get the wheels to come down, So the Pilot dumped all the fuel and then we couldnt make the airport and belly flopped into a field half a mile from the Airport with a BIG BANG. and then the plane just heeled over with a big list like the Costa ship. We got out and then the fire engines came and Ambulances and buses, and got us to the Airport. We had to wait for hours to get our luggage.
On the way back we left Manila for Bangkok and coming in to land there the Pilot was screaming into his radio,
"I cannot control my Plane, I cannot control my plane" over and over again. we hit the deck and the front wheels fell off and the plane was spinning around like a carousel. Lousy Planes. The Cabin Staff were he best I have ever flown with.
After leaving Bankok on another plane we had around Thirty German men, all drunk and shouting and screaming, They were abusing the Stewardesses, urinating in the allyways and in the seats, I got up after one was screaming abuse at the Ladies for more `Visky and coke`. I hit him and knocked him down, I stood on him and shouted at the rest of them to shut up or I would sort them all out. They shut up.
Ignorant drunken pigs, I hate Germans, The cabin Staff came to me afterwards and thanked me for sorting them out. We landed at Frankfurt and they all staggered off. the dirty filthy bast4rds, the plane stank.;

Tony Wilding
15th June 2012, 01:39 PM
as i said i find flying so boring, plus i have a fear of flying, but no choice, last time i flew to Colombo was ten hours, so i had a couple of drinks not long after take off and woke up somewhere over the Arabian Sea, shortened the flight, maybe same plan for this one.

John Arton
15th June 2012, 03:17 PM
Tony
can only endorse what everyone else has said about Cathy Pacific. I used to regularly use them flying from the U.K. to Singapore when I was working out there and found them excellent, far better than Singapore Airlines.
Cathy is used heavily by the manning agents flying Philippino sailors out and home and in my experience the boys have always been well treated and arrived on time and with their luggage!
To ease the boredom make sure you take plenty of reading matter, have a few drinkies before and after the meals and you will be suprised how quickly the time passes.
rgds and good luck in your new life in Cebu, which was one of my favourite islands when I used to trot round there loading timber or veg oils. Also always found the locals and sailors from Cebu the nicest and best.
rgds
Capt. John Arton (ret'd)

Captain Kong
15th June 2012, 03:30 PM
Tony, if you can try and book your seat in advance so you get a good spot. there is usually a charge for that.
On a 747 Jumbo for the two of us I usually book the last row of two seats on either side, usually row 51 to 54. If you have a window seat in a row of three then you are stuck trying to get to the toilet, cant get past the other two especially if they are asleep, if you cant book your own seat then always have an aisle seat, you can get up anytime you want and walk around without disturbing any one. The centre seats are best for that, you would only have one person next to you to disturb you, on the side seats of three you would have two people disturbing you.
Sometimes it is possible to get a door seat, always an extra charge, so there is no one infront to drop their seat on top of you and you also have plenty of leg room. and no one to disturb you.
That is the best one in Working Class.
Enjoy the trip.
Cheers
Brian.

Tony Wilding
15th June 2012, 04:16 PM
HI BRIAN, thanks for that, i was just on the phone to Cathay Pacific, i wondered why my E Ticket had not arrived, in all the excitement of booking i gave wrong EMAIL, OK now and i have printed my ticket, you can choose a seat but have to wait untill 48 hours before it leaves to do that, i will choose an aisle seat, easier for me to go to the loo, ! dont fancy being trapped by the window, cant see much anyway, only on take off and landing, all baggage is transferred to connecting flight at Hong Kong, then another Cathay Pacific plane, first one is a jumbo 747 series 400, then a 777 series 200, never flown in either befor, i presume the numbers denote passenger capacity allways wanted to visit Hong Kong, wont see much this time only there 2 hours, the floating harbour of Junks and Sampans fascinated me, but i expect all gone now, Junks have motors now, but would be nice to do some Red Star Ferry trips, still easy to get to from Cebu, my Lady there has never been off the Island , so a nice trip, about ten weeks to wait, thats the killer. regards , Tony W.

Captain Kong
15th June 2012, 04:31 PM
Hi Tony, The seat row configuration on a Jumbo 747 is 3-4-3
on a 777, it is 3-3-3
If you are only in Hong Kong for two hours in transit then you will not get `ashore`, you will have to stay in the airport, inside of the Security `Curtain` just hang about. usually your baggage is transferred for you to the next plane
you do not see it. but check on it, it usually goes through to your destination.
Cheers
Brian.

Tony Wilding
15th June 2012, 04:38 PM
Hi Brian, yes , they confirmed i do not have to claim my baggage untill Cebu, just found a photo of a 747 and 777, sorry to bore everyone, but i am so excited about my trip, another adventure. 9796

Captain Kong
15th June 2012, 05:46 PM
Hope you have a good trip.
Cheers
Brian.

Ivan Cloherty
15th June 2012, 06:27 PM
Well Tony, just to confirm what the others have said CATHAY is one of the better airlines, flown them many times when living in the Middle East and working in Far East.

As Brian said on the 747 try and get one of the very back seats which are in pairs, always plenty of room and leg room. Getting a seat by the emergency exits now can be quite expensive on some airlines and sometimes have no chance if your over 60 as they say they want young fit people to open the doors, they don't seem to realise that some of us oldies are far fitter than younger fat forties. (sorry don't know your age so the foregoing observations may not be applicable)

Can fully understand your excitement entering a new life and a new world, the ten weeks will pass quicker than you think possible. We all wish you luck and happiness in your new life

Regards

Ivan

happy daze john in oz
16th June 2012, 05:59 AM
Have not used a travel agent in years do all my booking on the net. Here in Oz if you do it thta way you can pre book your seat when you make the booking. With an agent you have to wait until you get to the airport.
Only flew Phillipines oince, Christmas day 1987 out of melbourne. Incoming plane in Manila delayed 24 hours so had to be put up in a local hotel. The airport as Brian said is the pits, staff are not sure what is going on at any time. Lost luggage there as well, but the hotel they put us up in was very good.
Interesting point on air fares. Flight from here to London, which her indoors does regularly, is more expensive than if some one from UK wants to come here.

Tony Wilding
16th June 2012, 06:37 AM
Hi John, i did book my ticket on line, but Cathay Pacific told me when i phoned them the next day seat bookings cant be done untill 48 hours befor departure time, i have experienced that befor with other airlines, Manila Airport is classed as the Worlds worst Airport, thankfully i fly to Cebu, Cebu is totally different to Manila, Manila a crazy place, Cebu is in central Philippines , much more protected there from Typhoons and Tsunamis, my house there is in a high position, regards Tony W

Keith Tindell
16th June 2012, 08:44 AM
As a slight aside, the best airline i have ever flown with is Shri Lankan air, they have a camera in the nose of the aircraft, and another in the belly, you can switch to them on your normal seat display. When coming in to land there is total silence in the aircraft, everyone is seeing what the flight deck sees, everyone is glued to their monitors, totally fascinating. Anyway have a good flight, regards KT

Ivan Cloherty
16th June 2012, 09:11 AM
Did some internal flights on Japanase planes and they had the same system, but I think the passenger sees more than the pilot would physically as cameras are slung underneath the aircraft. But it is really interesting and passenger silence is deafening, and it doesn't matter if you have a window seat or not, but me I always plumb for the aisle seat, at least you've got some free space in case you get Humpty Dumpty sitting next to you.

Captain Kong
16th June 2012, 10:21 AM
I Need a Hero - YouTube (http://youtu.be/fDdPuCsOLaQ) bonnie tyler
THRILLER - CEBU Dancing Inmates - This is it (HQ) HD Quality - YouTube (http://youtu.be/3ZC6JuTlOVM)
Filipino Prisoners Dance Micheal Jackson's Thriller - YouTube (http://youtu.be/y4NN023L02g)

Hi Tony if you go to gaol in Cebu you can have free dancing lessons.

Tony Wilding
16th June 2012, 10:38 AM
Its brilliant, will try to keep out of there, some great videos of Whale Sharks at Cebu on Youtube, Also driving in Cebu, some terrible slums there, Manila far worse, dont think i will be using the Ferries there, not good safety records, one sank this week, another broke down going to Cebu , was towed in , built in 1961,

Captain Kong
16th June 2012, 10:42 AM
I think you would be safer in the CEBU GAOL tony

Ivan Cloherty
16th June 2012, 03:20 PM
If you are unfortunate to end up there make sure you always keep your soap on a rope, but we know the situation will not arise :rolleyes: