PDA

View Full Version : The Canberra

Doc Vernon
13th June 2012, 07:39 AM
The following Link kindly supplied by John Duplock,for any here that may have served on this great Ship!
Tahnks John!
Appreciated!
Doc Vernon

The last time I saw Canberra (version #2) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij3a405vCz8&feature=related)

Ivan Cloherty
13th June 2012, 09:06 AM
The best of British, brings a tear to the eyes, nice tribute

Tony Morcom
13th June 2012, 04:44 PM
A very fitting tribute to a grand old lady of the sea. I never sailed on her but like many, I am sure, met up with her in various ports on my travels. I am copying this to our Video Forum so we have a permanent and easily accessible link for members in the future.

Ivan Cloherty
13th June 2012, 05:43 PM
"Canberra" Only saw her once, my log shows we passed close by whilst serving on "Wandby" on 17th March 1962 in the Arabian Sea in apprx Lat 13 degrees North and 60 degrees East. We passed close to each other within a mile no doubt to give her passengers something to look at, she was homeward bound, we were on passage from Djibouti to Hong Kong on the start of our 20 month voyage, but of course we didn't realise it was going to be 20 months at that time.We were dumb enough to think it would be Hong Kong for discharge and west Oz for grain for UK.

Anyway she was a lovely sight and made you proud she was one of ours, even if those on board her no doubt thought we were just "tramp" men,(we were a very clean new tramp!) we dipped our ensign to her to which she responded. Those were the days

Wagga
1st July 2012, 08:47 AM
When I was at the Indefatigable sea training school in North Wales, I imagined that I would get to serve on the Canberra.

I finished my training in 1969 and got issued with my kit for my first ship. The ship I had been allotted was.....the Canberra the incredible cruise liner that everyone aspired to sail on......but wait just a minute, read on....the second line read Star. The Canberra Star! Read it again Canberra Star of Blue Star Line. Oh well, you can't win them all!

Later, whilst in South America (possibly) and in port, I spied the Canberra from a long way off entering port. I was the first to recognise her, especially with her distinctive funnels. I remarked to the crew "look the Canberra!" to which one of them replied; "if that's the Canberra, then I'll eat my hat!"

As she graciously manoeuvered passed us to berth, I felt supremely smug.......but needless to say, the guy never ate his hat.

Colin Hawken
12th July 2012, 01:42 PM
A very special Lady.She'll never be forgotten while any of us who knew her are still alive.

happy daze john in oz
13th July 2012, 06:04 AM
When I look at her I realise that some of the modern day cruise ships are of a similar style. Not the floating blocks of appartmenst but some of the 70,000 or so ton ones.
But the saddest thing for me is to see the P&O logo, a logo from a time when P&O was a premium company. Now I see P&O Australia cruise ships and hear the complaints about how they now opperate and read some horriific stories from those who have cruised with them. Very few ever do a second one with them.

Glenn Baker
13th July 2012, 06:49 AM
Fully concur with you on the mention of the P&O logo, even another Branch of the Company which was the New Zealand Shipping Co Ltd had far superior service and accomadation on ships such as the Rangitoto, Rangitane Ruahini, for a months voyage to and from the UK was classified as One class and was excellent, with the passenger population being only around 380 passengers far surpassed any of these floating Sardine cans which from day one only want you to spend your cash or credit cards on their poker machines and other services outside the normal mealtime hours.

its rather sad to see Icons such as P&O go the cheap and nasty way . Mind you even many of the passengers of todays ilk are a totally different kettle of fish.

A few years ago Manners and well dressed people were the go, especially at meal times on passenger ships. all the best Glenn

Colin Hawken
17th July 2012, 08:26 PM
I don't think the P&O Ships out of Southampton are quite that bad. I know several people who cruise with them every year.They can't be that bad. Don't know about the ones in OZ though.

Doc Vernon
17th July 2012, 09:26 PM
Hi Colin
I wonder if its possibly the Crew on the Southampton ones that make the difference!
I think most of the other ones have most;y Asian Crew nowdays?? I stand corrected on that though!
Cheers

Evan Lewis
18th July 2012, 01:16 AM
Regarding the ongoing criticiism of the P&O Cruise ships.

I've recently taken a trip on the Pacific Sun. Great value for money .Top -deck Cabin .King -size bed Marvelous food Entertainment etc.Finest Theatre ,I,ve seen anywhere. ,That includes London ,Cardiff ,Syd -Melb, Birmingham, Liverpool N.Y..
Total cost less than one thousand dollars for eight days.
No tipping fees!. Threw a few dollars in the way of the B,R. Case he "Pointed the Bone": at our backs.

Have previously cruised ,World -Fly-Cruise 60 days

Canberra : . Oriana ,three trips ,Polynesian Islands ,etc, Couple of similar trips out of Sydney. on Russian ships Fairstar and Angelino Laura U.K. to Oz. Plus anumber of years as crew ,with Cunard including Caronia ,Mauretania. P&O's

Himalaya ,Arcadia, Strathmore and Strathnaver.

So feel I have some experience. Incidentally during the last cruise, next Cabin were a couple ,on their 80th Cruise. Presented during the cocktail evening, to be followed by a gent accompanied by his brother 'WAit for it!" on his 125th Cruise.

As Judge Judy might say. Hearsay is inadmmisable.

Keith Moody
18th July 2012, 04:39 AM
your time spent on Arcadia, when was that?
I spent from 1956-1959 on her, had a great time even though we were 8 to a cabin. unlike Canberra with only 2 to a cabin. what position did you hold on there?
keith moody
R635978

Evan Lewis
18th July 2012, 06:38 AM
Keith wecome your enquiry.
Ijoined the good ship Arcadia . 3rd july 63. Til,midaugust . Medi Cruidse . The great P&O created a position for me .Beachmaster. Tried explaining in earlier Mail ..It's gone into Space !

Used to go ashore ,firsr Launch ,Set up Position for landing . Accompanied and supported by . Chief Officer (then ) Captaain Philip Jackson. And the well known (immaculate Chief Steward David Davies. A legend amongst the Staff.
incidentally from my Village . Llnharan . Glamorgan. Thank You for the opp.to Post This Evan

Doc Vernon
18th July 2012, 06:49 AM
Hi Evan
You may have allready read a post by me a long while back??
But just wondered if you knew Dusty on the Himalaya! He i know was well known!
Cheers
Doc!10218

happy daze john in oz
18th July 2012, 06:54 AM
I don't think the P&O Ships out of Southampton are quite that bad. I know several people who cruise with them every year.They can't be that bad. Don't know about the ones in OZ though.

Ony did one with P&O Oz, one better not spoken of. Know a couple of people who did a number of trips with them then went to royal caribbean or Princess, all said what a waste of time P&o is compared with the others. They mainly do trips around the spoth sea islands and appeal to the younger generation as they are the ones most likely to spend all day at the bar.
One purser told me Princess have been given the task by Carnival to assist P&o in bringing their ships up to Princess standard. As he told me, it might be easier to raise the Titanic.

happy daze john in oz
18th July 2012, 06:57 AM
[QUOTE=Evan Lewis;95733]Regarding the ongoing criticiism of the P&O Cruise ships.

I've recently taken a trip on the Pacific Sun.
Believe she has now been taken back to europe and will be sold. Oldest ship in theior fleet. But what suits one may not suit another, each to their own.

happy daze john in oz
18th July 2012, 07:00 AM
Hi Colin
I wonder if its possibly the Crew on the Southampton ones that make the difference!
I think most of the other ones have most;y Asian Crew nowdays?? I stand corrected on that though!
Cheers

Vernon, that may be the case but with the ones out of Oz I believe it is ageneral management problem. Most goes back to when D. grimble was found dead in her cabin a few years ago.

Evan Lewis
18th July 2012, 07:28 AM
Suggestb you're Clutcing at straws ,John
If by trying to justify your opinion of p$O ships . by using the Dianne Brimble case . Is in my humble opinion nwa\rranted.
Considering in the number years since that unforttunate inciden "God Bless her Family.
the same ship. has probably accomodated some 1500 souls ,. Surely some incidents are bound to occur. This is 20012 .Getb Real!

Evan Lewis
18th July 2012, 10:00 PM
Apologiies ,previous post should read 2012
the1500passengers ,should have been 15,000 yearly approx.

Re.
Posting to keith. Chief Officer ,was Mr. Le. Fevre

Mr. Jackson was next ship Himalaya .Which I did several on.

Sorry Vernon ,cannot recall Dusty.
THe Chief Barman was A fairly tall fair complexion, London Area man.
Extremely good position .Often in Good company, in the Better Lounges. . Big Gambler by reputation,and regarded ,the biggest Money eaner aboard. . Though that may have applied to All the Chief Barmen at that time . With all the intrigue associated with the Position.I.e. Dropsies
Like the Chef on the Queens ,Powerful position.

The late Captain Donald Sorrel ,of the Queen Mary. Often ensured the benefactors of those positions, frequently, By Putting a Notice in the Glass case .That donations to the m
Missions to seamen ,would be personally acknowledged by him. He was well known for his support

Ivan Cloherty
18th July 2012, 10:43 PM
I ave notished lately that tere are a lot of spelimg mistooks on thes post wen shent late at nightsh. Now boytsh it is time to pull yourshelf toguther and tink about wansh yoy wansh to say. Anyway wash time are we shailing tomurrow

happy daze john in oz
19th July 2012, 06:45 AM
Suggestb you're Clutcing at straws ,John
If by trying to justify your opinion of p$O ships . by using the Dianne Brimble case . Is in my humble opinion nwa\rranted.
Considering in the number years since that unforttunate inciden "God Bless her Family.
the same ship. has probably accomodated some 1500 souls ,. Surely some incidents are bound to occur. This is 20012 .Getb Real!

I am my friend very real. The D. Brimble case was the begining of the demise in the standards of P&O. My experience with the company and those of others I know, as well as comments by the purser on a Princess ship makes me belive my comments are in order.
At no time did I imply that the D. Brimble case was the sole reason, not that I have to justify any comments I make to you. I am a firm beliver in freedom of speach and I speak as I find. If that upsets you so be it.

Captain Kong
19th July 2012, 04:04 PM
I found that after reading the full story of the Dianne Brimble case, I would certainly not like to sail on those P&O ships, if those men are the kind of passenger you could expect to be on there.
Brian.

Captain Kong
19th July 2012, 04:09 PM
I ave notished lately that tere are a lot of spelimg mistooks on thes post wen shent late at nightsh. Now boytsh it is time to pull yourshelf toguther and tink about wansh yoy wansh to say. Anyway wash time are we shailing tomurrow Ivan.
They are not spelling mistakes Ivan, those words are spelt correctly for the burbling of a drunk. I know, that is the way I burble.
Cheers
Brian.

Gulliver
19th July 2012, 06:13 PM
I must admit I'd never heard of this case.
How vile it was.

Perhaps THE INQUEST FINDINGS (http://www.coroners.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/agdbasev7wr/_assets/coroners/m401601l3/17_brimble,dianne-findings-only.pdf) is the best document to read for those like me wanting to know more about the case.

happy daze john in oz
20th July 2012, 06:37 AM
It was a sad case and one of some mystery. It did a lot of damage to the reputation of P&O and quite understandably so. The company found that passenger numbers went into a decline aftre the incident so attempts were made to revive the companies fortunes. They began offereing a number of what appeared to be very good deals. One of the problems though was it began to attract some who were only interested in the pool and the bar, mainly younger people. Nothing wrong with that but it did not help to improve the company image. On the one and only cruise I did with them there were a number of passengers who had done the same cruise the year before. They commented on how in even one year the standards had dropped. The shows were all ameteur ones using only crew members, no international artists as is the case with most others. The only bar of any concequence only had kareoke, so if that was not your style then there was little else.The food was of very poor quality and if you did not want egg and bacon for breatfast, well just too bad as that was about all there was. Cabin care was below standard and the ship looked very tired. Evening meal was not too bad but they had gone to what they call any time dinning. That meant you had to re-book a table every night. A number of people I heard complain about the spirits on sale in the bar, going as ar as saying they considered them to habve been watered down. As for the on board security, some of the worst I have ever seen.
I found it very sad that a company that had at one time been one of the Uk premium companies had fallen to this level.

Unlike some I have written this when NOT in my cups.

Louis the Amigo
20th July 2012, 10:33 AM
Hi shipmatesI help bunker her many times in Southampton {was her nickname the milk bottle? } Very nice ship I have a tie with The Canberra on it.

Evan Lewis
20th July 2012, 12:32 PM
Seems I have to justify myself to others regarding previous Posts .Not only the Cruise Ships .opinions of your. Seem to be taken as gospel by some.
Doesn't wash with me .and there"s plenty of content available to make your asssertions unrealistic and unreliable. I was prepared to give you the last word on this Subject , but it appears you want to persue the issue. I give All my lady friends the last word.Was surprised I didn't see you amongst the Sunbury Divas in some or other capacity. Hope my spelluing is in order ,to satisfy .
Re. Port Melbourne .so fear as I'm concerned . your "Way behind the eight Ball. Having spent some eighteen years in the Area wurking mostly with port Melbourne People . I find I have some right to criticise you tenous links to that Area .Let's take it further. I probably spent more time On the Bridge of Casle Boats ,with yje much maligned by you. Capt. Lloyd. Thamn you alone, as was Known in your podsition as an engineers steward .
Re. the attack on P/O liners by you .You fail to ignore the fact yhat passengers on my recent cruise ,were lining up to Rebook. So Please give some consideration to that. As regards Free Speech .Yes . Drivel No!

Captain Kong
20th July 2012, 12:48 PM
Gentlemen,
I dont think we need this type of conversation. It isnt pleasant and we should be courteous at all times.
After all we come on here to have a pleasant hour or so, not to defend our titles.
I have never sailed on P&O cruise ships, mostly Cunard`s, Caronia, QE2, QM2 and QE, always happy with the clientel and the ships., Also Swan Helenic, Holland America and Carnival, but I have heard a lot about P&O to turn me off.
Cheers
Brian.

Colin Hawken
20th July 2012, 03:13 PM
We have seven P&O Liners sailing out of here in Southampton. I've never done a cruise on any of them. I have several friends who cruise on them every year,some more than once a year. They all say the same thing,"Can't wait for the next one." Does this mean my friends have poor taste? After all. the "wonderful "Cunard Liners all belong to Carnival Cruises as do the P&O Liners.No disrespect to Cunard,a well respected and loved Company here in Southampton.

happy daze john in oz
21st July 2012, 05:58 AM
Colin that well may be the case in Southampton, but here in Oz the name is not so good. A friend of mine, now retiered was a travel agent for many years, he has confirmed to me on numerous occasions similar comments to mine regarding P&O. Though both P&O Australia and P&O UK are owned by Carnival they operate as seperate companies.

happy daze john in oz
21st July 2012, 06:02 AM
Seems I have to justify myself to others regarding previous Posts .As regards Free Speech .Yes . Drivel No!

Well what can I say, that is your opinion and whilst I may not agree I will defend your right to have your say. However I find your loquatious verbosity useless, futile and tiresome, doing nothing for the intelect of the conversation. Any comments I have made, or will make in the future are based on either personal experiences, or information gleaned from a reliable source. As such any comments are not, and cannot be deemed derogatary. But if we are to be factual in all our comments then I must advise that I was not an engineer steward, rather an officers steward tending to the needs of deck, engine, radio, electrical and refrigeration officers.
I conclude from your comments regarding the bridge that you were part of the deck department, an integeral and important part of any ship, be it cargo or passenger. As to Port Melbourne, that has changed greatly since Thursday July 11th 1964 when first I saw it. No doubt you are aware of the changes made over the years, such as the removal of the mission to seamen, the reinvigoration of Princes Pier, and the rebuiding of the area.
We are all entitled to our opinions on any matter, it is just that we see and interperate situations in a different way.

Captain Kong
21st July 2012, 07:58 AM
Hi Collin, I wasnt sugesting that your friends had poor taste. All I said was from whatI had heard P&O wasnt for me.
P&OAustralia , like John says, does have a very poor reputation, they are more for the younger and wilder type of customer. . P&O UK does have a good reputation, but there are differences between them and Cunard.
For example it is what people preferr, I believe in P&O there is open dining, you can sit anywhere in a restaurant or sometimes at peak periods you have to wait for a table. In Cunard you are assigned a table of your choice and with people of your choice. and that table and dining time is yours for the voyage.
Cunard is more formal, the wearing of dinner suits etc every night. A lot of people do not like to be formal, they preferr casual. That is their choice, it is their holiday.
I preferr Formal, and to be able to sit at my table talking to my companions over a bottle of wine after the meal, without the steward moving me on because someone else is waiting for a table. It is all about whatever suits you. You are paying for what you preferr.
Cheers
Brian.

happy daze john in oz
21st July 2012, 01:26 PM
That Brian is what it is all about, the choice of the individual as to what they require from a holliday. There is nothing wrong with P&O Australia appealing to a certian type of client, who well may re-book having had a good experience that satisfied their requirements. But the requirements of individuals is as I said a very personal choice. You are happy with an inboard cabin, I prefer an ocean view. Fine dinning suits me where i can if I choose sit and talk lng after the meal is over. Choice is the issue here, and choice is often based on previous experiences or the advice of trusted others.

Graham Lewis (2)
22nd June 2016, 08:13 PM
Hi all you devotees of the Canberra, she has recently undergone a multi million pound refit

and is now a cruise ship for CMV, renamed COLUMBUS. I and my wife are taking a Baltic cruise aboard in July 2017

Rgds Graham Lewis

Ps In previous I mixed dates and destinations.We are going to the Baltic this year on the Magellan, and to Iceland and the Northern Isles next year on the Columbus, .A senior moment!!

I can, however remember my first ship to sea in 1954,! it was the REGENT SPRINGBOK, a tanker of C T Bowering

Doc Vernon
22nd June 2016, 08:18 PM
Enjoy the Trip Graham
Will I am sure bring back some Sea memories to you!
Cheers

Gulliver
22nd June 2016, 10:22 PM
Hi all you devotees of the Canberra, she has recently undergone a multi million pound refit

and is now a cruise ship for CMV, renamed COLUMBUS. I and my wife are taking a Baltic cruise aboard in July 2017

Rgds Graham Lewis

Hello Graham,you really puzzled me for a minute or two there,as the Canberra was broken up at Gadani Beach in October 1997 ! I think there's even a video of the event in the Gallery.So Columbus is not the ex P & O Canberra of 1961 which many knew and loved . Your Columbus is the 1998 vessel R-One built for Renaissance Cruises,becoming Insignia in 2004,then 2012 Columbus 2, then 2014 Insignia again,then presumably Columbus again after refit in 2015/6.

Gulliver

Peter F Chard
22nd June 2016, 11:43 PM
During one of her calls at Hong Kong I visited a very good friend of mine since primary school days, the Chief Engineer, Geoff Connolly. I was with China Navigation at that time and my ship was in port during that visit. We had had a fair amount of the brown stuff and it was getting near to sailing time so Geoff called his steward and told him to make sure he was given fair warning of " Standby for sailing " so that I could get ashore. We continued drinking the brown stuff and then all of a sudden I realized that the ship was moving ! We raced up to the deck and sure enough we were at sea and the Pilot was just about to disembark into the Pilot boat - I actually fell down that gangway and landed upside down in the Pilot boat to the surprise of the Pilot, crew and skipper of the pilot launch. I just walked ashore at the Pilot station, walked out to the street and hailed a taxi to take me back to my ship !!! No security or immigration bull like today. In passing my youngest brother was Frig engineer for two years on her and always said that they were the happiest days of his time at sea. Regards Peter in NZ.