PDA

View Full Version : P&O Containers Bay Boats

Lofty Shears
16th December 2008, 12:18 PM
Anyone around who was on the bay boats, i was on them from around 1984 to 1992

ady porter
5th May 2009, 06:40 PM
Lofty ,was on your last trip on the Palliser bay ,tried emailing you a couple of months ago .
hear theres a reunion shortly ,would love to go ady 01723 378922

Tommy the T
9th August 2009, 10:16 PM
My brother Dave Smales sailed on the "bay boats" between 78 to 85 , his last i believe was the "Encounter Bay".

cheers
andy(Tommy the T):)

alf corbyn
10th August 2009, 08:23 AM
hi lofty. could you be more specific when talking about the bay boats. i did two trips on the esperence bay in the fifties. there was also the largs bay, the hobsons bay, and the famous jarvis bay that took on a german raider.these were shaw savill not p&o. don't take this the wrong way but it keeps the record straight. cheers. alf:D:D

Debra
29th September 2009, 08:04 PM
Hi my names Debra and have recently become a member.

Im on the search for ship mates of my uncle who i have recently lost. I have his discharge book in front of me and he was on TOKYO BAY(1989) and ENCOUNTER BAY. TOLAGA BAY (1990),PENINSULAR BAY( 91,92)
CARDIGAN BAY(1990) PROVIDENCE BAY and I think it says stable bay.

My Uncle served for 38 years, i dont seem to be able to find his previous book.

His name was TERRY REID R830359 He would have been 60 this November

Doc Vernon
29th September 2009, 09:16 PM
Hi Debra
Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
So sit back,relax and just enjoy the trip!
Hope we will have you here for a long time!
A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!
Cheers

Also"

If you would like to join in and have your Full name R Number and First Ship
Included in the Flag project then please pass it on to Mike Hall who is doing a Main Flag for all
to be displayed some time in one of the UK Museums!
Thank you

Please go to following Link

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1974

The above of course allplies to your Uncles R Number etc,so ig you can send it to Mike,i know he will add the name to the list for the Flag!
Thanks and good luck in your quest!

Des Taff Jenkins
30th September 2009, 06:45 AM
Hi debra.
A warm welcome to the site, and I hope you get some info about your uncle who you obviously loved.
Maybe Lofty Shears will read your post and reply as he seemd to have sailed on the bay boats at the same time as your uncle. Also Ady porter who says there is a reunion of old Bay Boat seamen, don't know if that is a phone number he has on his post.
Good luck
Cheers Des

Anthony Atkinson
30th September 2009, 03:05 PM
:eek:
Yes Lofty, I sailed on the Bay Boats from 1971-1977. good food, good beer, good crowd and great trips.

Eddie Drewitt
19th January 2010, 05:44 PM
I saiiled on the Table Bay July 78-Mar 79Barcelona (Table Bay renamed) Mar 79-Aug 79 as CPO Marine Mechanic,if my memory is correct it was crewed by Cayzer Irvne men.

Ed Drewitt

simon adams
29th January 2010, 09:35 PM
Hi Lofty, I dont know wether Isailed with You as You haven't said what department You was in. I do remember sailing a steward called LoftyOn the Resolution Bay in 85-86. I also have a younger brother Geoff who sailed on the Bay boats between 82-88. I hope this is of use to You,& if You need any other info let me Know, as I still see a few of the boys who live in Tilbury/Grays area
Regards
Simon Adams
P.S. Some people also called me Spike Adams

Doc Vernon
29th January 2010, 09:40 PM
Hi Simon A
Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
Cheers

If this applies to you then please do send in your details!
Note Well

Included in the Flag project then please pass it on to Mike Hall who is doing a Main Flag for all
to be displayed some time in one of the UK Museums!
We need your names to get the New Flag full,so please do respond!
Thank you
Vernon (castleman)

Please go to following Link

www.merchant-navy.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1974

Or reply to me in person! Via Private Message Link above below I will pass on the info!

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=18

If any new Members or old ones too want a bit of info on the Flag Projects please
Go to the following Links where you can see Pics and Write ups on this subject!
Thanks

http://www.merchant-navy.net/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=558

If you have already done this then please accept my apologies!

happy daze john in oz
30th January 2010, 05:00 AM
G'day Simon and welcome tot he best site in town. Do you have a list of the ships you sailed on, maybe with some dates? If you do and care to list them you may well get to hear from some who sailed with you. So sit back with a cold one and enjoy the voyage.:eek:

dave walkling
18th March 2010, 03:30 PM
Hi I was on the Talaga Bay, Encounter Bay and Cardigan Bay between 88 and 90 regret leaving them espiecialy Encounter Bay.

Dave Walkling (Dover Dave)

Russell field
18th April 2010, 01:28 PM
Hi Lofty,
Its Russell sailed with you on one of the far east ships think i was your leading steward at the time.
It was the trip your Grandad passed away .Have been looking for old mates on face book but cant seem to find any.I do miss the old Bay boats they were good times . Russ

happy daze john in oz
19th April 2010, 06:18 AM
G'day Russel and welcome to the site. Do you have a list of your ships maybe with some dates? If you do and care to post them you may well get to hear from a few more who knew you. So sit back with a cold one and enjoy the voyage.

GARY GRIFFITHS
17th July 2010, 02:16 PM
Dear deb my name is gary griffiths an i think i sailed with terry on more than occation he was about 5ft 6in an reminded me of david bellamy clever man use to have a lot of good conversations with him ,sorry to hear about your loss i always reguarded terry as a good friend my email/ gary.griffiths1@sky.com

paul allen
6th September 2010, 08:12 PM
hi anthony my first ship was the black floating machine[ remuerabay] back in 75 then iwas on jervis.moreton,discovery,botany bay.igot married on the resolution bay in auckland in 79/80 i started as d/boy peter hall was boson,blackburn was the old man,dereck barns and candy were cooks.i left in nz.and now live in ozzie,work on the coast here now, hope to hear back from you reguards paul allen

Doc Vernon
6th September 2010, 08:37 PM
Hi to Dave Walkling, Russell Field,Gary Griffiths,Paul Allen,Lofty Shears and Ady Porter

Cheers

Included in the Flag then Please join the Crew List and leave full details on the Registration Form.
We need your names to get the New Flag full,so please do respond!
Thank you
Vernon (castleman)

Donít forget to note your First Ship on the Form!

If any new Members or old ones too want a bit of info on the Flag Projects please
Go to the following Links where you can see Pics and Write ups on this subject!
Thanks

http://www.merchant-navy.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=8380

If you have allready done this then Thank You!

Harvey G Williams
18th September 2010, 10:42 AM
Hi lofty i remember you

happy daze john in oz
19th September 2010, 06:32 AM
Hi lofty i remember you

A song made famous by Frank Ifield.

Jack Secker
20th September 2010, 04:43 AM
G'day Alf, I was on the Moreton Bay '54 - 55' and at that time they were Aberdeen and Commonwealth. Was that all part of the Shaw Saville Line in those days? 1jake1

Lofty Shears
2nd August 2011, 04:41 PM
I have contact with a very large number of lads that sailed on the OCL/P&OCL Bay Boats from the 70's to the 90's, please do not hesitate to contact me anyone looking for old mates or information.

use the facebook link below or PM.

Regards

Lofty(Julian) Shears

Glan Phillips
3rd August 2011, 05:46 PM
Just wondering whether anyone sailed with a Captain Mike Twomey on the 'Bay Boats'

Glan