PDA

View Full Version : Where all in this togeather

Red Lead Ted
25th March 2012, 02:17 AM
This is the biggest donator to the Tory party who together with its coalition partner,s reckon we are all paying the price for the mess of the countries economics. QUOTE ? {We are all in this together} who is having a laugh and it will be the likes of leeks like this that will cause mayhem amongst the disabled/ pensioner,s/ unemployed/ and working people struggling to make ends meet in this country. What a bloody joke this coalition is {BEWILDERED} Regards lads Terry.

Top Tory resigns over '£250,000 for access to Cameron' boast - UK Politics - UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/top-tory-resigns-over-250000-for-access-to-cameron-boast-7584635.html)

Tony Wilding
25th March 2012, 04:12 AM
terry, if we knew all the underhand things that went on the whole nation would revolt, lots of scandals have come to light lately, the expenses fraud gave us the biggest insight of what people govern us, and that went on for years, if corruption starts with expenses then it is ongoing, it becomes the norm, am afraid we stand no chance, i complain about giving aid to corrupt nations, but its no better here, just better hidden, look at police corruption, taking money from newspapers, phone tapping, what else goes on we are not aware of, ? :th_thth5952deef:

Des Taff Jenkins
25th March 2012, 05:41 AM
Hi Terry.
Your post is apt, I have been reading where a NSW politician hasn't been seen for a few days, apparently he is over in the UK for a parlimentry meeting to find ways to stop corruption in politics, he's not even in the ruling party. His excuse for missing parliament, he has been in Parliament for five years and hadn't had a trip overseas, that isn't what we are paying them for, we give them free computers and internet for that sort of thing. The meeting is dead in the water before it starts.
Cheers Des

Keith Tindell
25th March 2012, 07:13 AM
Hi all, This subject is the very one that has me fuming for some time, ref my post on MPs expenses, the bar and cafe subsidised by us, Mps pensions etc. I happen to believe that the corruption is so deep now that it will take a major cutting operation to stop. I am emailing my MP several times a week on the above subjects, and am met with a stoney silence, the equivalent of two fingers. if you look at what they get up to after they finish as MPs, you will see how this big corrupt club works, they are directed into cushy jobs elsewhere. if i continue harassing my Mp with email, i would not be surprised to get knock at the door from some strange characters one day. So if i disappear of this site, you know whats happened ha ha. Oh well lads lets keep bitching, you never know, regards all Keith

John Pruden
25th March 2012, 07:34 AM
why are the army learning troops to deliver petrol in tankers have they had the word that we don't know about? has the tax man pushed a bit to far? the plot thickens.john

Robbyboy
25th March 2012, 10:59 AM
When I was a lad (now THERE'S a while ago :) ) my father told me
"We used to hang Rogues, Vagabonds, Thieves & Liars from gibbetts at crossroads. Now we send them to Westminster or the City of London and they rip us off with the power of the law behind them."
Nothing changed much there then in 50odd years. :mad:
Regards,
Rob

John Pruden
25th March 2012, 11:05 AM
my dad told me two things you are guaranteed not to see 1 a bookie riding a bike 2 a poor MP wise words:rolleyes:

John Arton
25th March 2012, 11:33 AM
Like every one else in this post I too fume at all our inept politicians. People say you only get what you vote for, but what alternatives do we have here in the U.K.
The three main parties are all tarred with the same brush, all get their noses in the trough as soon as they are elected as M.P's even if they are not in the ruling party. Then when they eventually leave power they go out and make mega money as "advisers". The only advise I can give to all our politicians is to march all of thereselves to the White Cliffs of Dover and just keep on going towards France, any that reach France can then are welcome to screw up that country just like they have ours. Seriously thinking of voting BNP next time round, UKIP seems attrative but they seem even more a bunch of nutters than the present lot.
When oh when are we going to get real politicians again like there was in the 50's and 60's. You may not have agreed with their policies and views but from my perspective they at least seemed honest. Wilson and Heath were the first in my mind to really start the rot, have met them both socially and would prefer to be in a room full of Bengal tigers rather than take my chances with them.
rgds
Capt. John Arton (ret'd)

Tony Wilding
25th March 2012, 11:39 AM
just look how mega rich ex PM,s have become after getting jobs in the Euro Parliament.

Jim Brady
25th March 2012, 12:14 PM
Mr Cameron was nearly right but he just slipped up on one word.What he should've said was YOU are all in it together and it's a four letter word begining with S and ending in T,that would've been nearer the truth.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Louis the Amigo
25th March 2012, 12:38 PM
hi shipmates A question is the U.K. a new banana republic? As Mr Cameron has said we are open for business ?and we take tax off everyone poor, and on a pension only some rich people will pay 45p in the pound after profits .

Red Lead Ted
25th March 2012, 01:31 PM
That ever walked into the houses of parliament was GUY FAWLKES !!!!!!!! No hidden agenda. As the good Capt Arton say,s what can we do about it. Well the students and youth did unfortunately take to the streets and riot. I can understand there frustrations but cant find it in me to condone riots But if this and other parties are to carry on like this it will breed contempt. So be it on there own heads i remember David Cameron before the election in the three party t.v. speeches specifically on this point saying those 4 words {NOT ON MY WATCH} :mad:Regards all Terry.:deadhorse:

Colin Pook
25th March 2012, 03:50 PM
Hi Ted, if the chancellors budget had been aimed at the working class causing them to lose out financially, there would have been mayhem with industrial action, strikes etc all over the country. But, shrewd man that he is, he picked on the pensioners because what can we do in retaliation? Boycott our local libraries perhaps. No, but what we can do will be known in the coming elections. I can smell a revolution over the horizon, yippeee.
Years ago when I became old enough to vote, I wes told that I would never earn enough to vote conservative, how true that was.
Regards,
Colin

John Pruden
25th March 2012, 04:52 PM
why did we not have a referendum weather to stay in Europe like we have been promised by every party another lie to get your vote???? most of the laws of the land need scraping. deportation needs a revamp all the relevant government offices working together. no we are just the people that lead them to the trough once they have their noses in it we {the people } don't matter? yes it's a new party for me and none of the mainstream either . our country is over run with sh.te dropping their hook here and then moaning about the British way of life? some parts of great Britain you need an interpreter to get around and we just sit and take it{soft johnny english} yes thats us.just my view john:mad:

happy daze john in oz
26th March 2012, 05:24 AM
We have a federal MP here, ex union boss of course, who has been accused of misuse of union funds. The enquiery into his antics is now in it's third year, bloody criminal like Kray never took thisd long to be investigated!! But it turns out half his family are invloved with the government as well as a dozen other union guys all corrupt and many advising our current gov. Crap on top of crap served with crap and more crap, like ALL governmenst around the world, just a big club for the RIGHT people who are lucky enough to get into it.

Neil Morton
26th March 2012, 06:25 AM
I am a co-ordinator in the my town for people who volunteer their time to help Senior Citizens and the afflicted. I recently attended the opening of a new computerised scheme to streamline this endeavour. My own skills are minimal but some of the younger unemployed are wizards and we are asking them to volunteer to get the dole.
The launch of this scheme was attended by our local Liberal MP ( please read Consertive) and our Labour Federal Minister. All went swimmingly with tea and bikkies and the photo shoot was called and yours truly stood between the MP's and a lass sat at the 'puter. The atmosphere most convivial until the camera man from our local newspaper gathered up his gear and left.
These two jerks could not get out of the building any faster with skates on, even our Mayor was left like a shag on a rock. It was obvious they could not give a toss and anyway it was after 5pm and drinkies called.
The big white limo that brought our Fed. Minister down most likely had a grog cabinet in it anyway so he could sip all the way back to the airport. I can assure you dear readers that there has not been any follow up calls to see how we are getting on.

George
26th March 2012, 08:28 AM
Hi Lads,
I have said it in the past and will continue to say it. If you want change then look at voting for the other parties IE Ukip, Green Party, BNP, Local Independent candidates, etc. Also try and persuade friends and family to do the same. If enough people throughout the Country did this at Local and National elections, the Morons would have to have major re-thinks on there policies. They are by and large far too complacent and full of there own P and Importance. This Tory Chancellor and his Liberal lap dogs have proven this by robbing the poor and Pensioners, to pay for the wealthy, tax cuts.
George
In Southampton

john sutton
26th March 2012, 09:54 AM
Whether
Conservative, Liberal
or
Labour , I think
you'll get
a kick out of
this!

A little boy goes to his
dad and asks, 'What is Politics?'

Dad says, 'Well son, let
me try to explain it this way:

I am the head of the
family, so call me The Prime Minister..

Your mother is the
administrator of the money, so we call her the Government

We are here to take care
of your needs, so we will call you the People.

The nanny, we will
consider her the Working Class.

And your baby brother,
we will call him the Future.

Now think about that and
see if it makes sense.'

So the little boy goes
off to bed thinking about what Dad has said.

Later that night, he
hears his baby brother crying, so he gets up to check on him.

He finds that the baby
has severely soiled his nappy.

So the little boy goes
to his parent's room and finds his mother asleep.

Not wanting to wake her,
he goes to the nanny's room. Finding the door locked, he peeks in the keyhole and sees his father in bed with the nanny..

He gives up and goes back to bed.

The next morning, the
little boy say's to his father, 'Dad, I think I understand the concept of politics now. '

The father says, 'Good, son, tell me in your own words what you think politics is all
about.'

The little boy replies, 'The Prime Minister is screwing the Working Class while the
Government is sound asleep. The People are being ignored and
the Future is in deep ****.'

john sutton

Neville Roberts
26th March 2012, 03:54 PM
sounds like the politicians over there are copying the yanks ones over here, coruption is legal if you are in congress ,or the senate and nobody cares ,its the American way ,get what you can while you can and screw everyone else , thats thier motto .you should take a look at the medical insurance mess here its unbelievable 100 ,s of insurance companies making big $$$ selling policy,s that only cover some of the costs wich are astronomical ,m,ine was just billed 7.500 for a stress test and I had too pay $230 deductable god help us all :smashPC:

happy daze john in oz
27th March 2012, 11:37 AM
I write to my local MP time I think the gov has stuffed up, which is about every week, yet to get a reply. So much for democracy.

Jim Brady
27th March 2012, 11:44 AM
Today planning permision ruling has been amended.We all know that some of the planning permission restrictions were well antiquated and did require some revision and we have seen some terrible acts of vandalisim carried out by local councils because some individual had not stuck to the plans,many petty liitle things that could well have been overlooked.The planning rules have been reduced from 1000 pages to 50,it's strange how this goverment can change things so quickly.Am I being cynical but recently David Rowland Property Magnate and Lord Sainsbury Shop Keeper had lunch with Mr Cameron (Part of His Come Dine With Me fund rasing) Rowlands £4.2 million donations past 5 years,Sainsbury £1 million donation.Do you think it was possible that planning permission rules were discussed at these lunches.Mr Sainsbury in the past has had trouble obtaining planning permission for some of his supermarkets.I suppose Rowlands wants the Green Belt laws altered and I would'nt be supprised if he has already bought some prime land which at present would be cheap as it is covered by the Green Belt Act.We're all in it together,thats if youve got money!!!!
Regards.
JimB.

robpage
27th March 2012, 02:07 PM
In my formative years I lived in central Derbyshire , and was having a pint in the Labour Club in Belper one Saturday afternoon . The Local MP took a position at the Bar there after conducting his weekly surgery . He was quite blunt to a couple of people who spoke to him and by half past two fell over in a spectacular heap in the bar . That was his regular Saturday afternoon pursuit , Surgery - drink-fall over . I always regarded that as an example of the men that we elected to represent us regardless of party . It was teh first time I had seen the results of the full trough and the diners who sup there . I spent twenty years taking a vote but caring little for who was elected , until Sealink were "offered " to the highest bidder , Which was the American James Sherwood , very keen to get his hands on a large piece of Real Estate that British Rail Owned at Parkstone Quay . Holyhead , Stranraer etc . I wrote to him and his letter was churlish to say the least . The next election I and 250 others in the borough voted for "The Havant Hot Bread Party " who had one policy , more hot bread shops in the town , but they were the only party that I felt were actually telling the truth . My father was a NUM part time shop steward , and a Labour Councillor on what is now Amber Valley council , Every Election in those days the same Labour MP , Raymond Fletcher , I think , was voted in with a comfortable majority . I remember the immortal words of the aged parent when discussing the local labour and conservative MPs , I dont think anywhere was liberal for 50 miles in any direction , I asked how they selected the candidated , The old man's reply was ( He may have pinched it I do not know ) in these constituancies you could dress a pig up in a red or blue tie and it would get voted in , trouble is the local parties often do !

How times have not changed

Red Lead Ted
28th March 2012, 12:56 AM
A big problem in this country, To many strongholds in most costituent,s. My M.P. is and always has been Labour regardless to what party i vote for. And i have not seen him in the flesh for the past 15 years Good thread lads Terry.:confused:

Captain Kong
28th March 2012, 10:19 AM
My MP is from Pakistan, I phone her Office quite a lot, her Secretary always says she is in Pakistan
I have sent her emails but no responce.
IS THIS DEMOCRACY?????????????
I am waiting for some country to bomb us and then invade us to Give us a Democratic Government.

John Pruden
28th March 2012, 10:37 AM
as regards voting i allways do and like the rest get lied to the old saying {pi..ing into the wind} springs to mind?.john

Red Lead Ted
28th March 2012, 12:04 PM
Half your offsprings are in Pakistan just dont invite them over here,,,,,,,, Thats Democracy.:D:D:D Regards Terry.

Captain Kong
28th March 2012, 12:19 PM
Hi Ted, Sorry you are wrong there, I did not do that in Pakistan.,
My off spring are alive and well living in Grant road, Bombay. And I have told them to stay there. they are better off.
Cheers
Brian Patel.

Tony Wilding
28th March 2012, 01:46 PM
Camerons latest squeeze, now if u go to a Bakers Shop and buy hot sausage rolls, pasties or pies , VAT will be charged, when will this thieving goverment stop, ?. any excuse to rob us more, bakers should put microwaves in the shop . let the customer heat them after payment, expect that would be illegal, ? they would tax the use of the microwave:th_thth5952deef:

Captain Kong
28th March 2012, 02:36 PM
What this country needs is a strong man like ex Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew of SINGAPORE, he is still the godfather of the nation in retirement.
He dragged his country up from a third world newly independent nation from Malaysia to the top country in the world. There are many disciplines there but he got the results for a better place to live for the people.
Cheers
Brian

Tony Wilding
28th March 2012, 04:01 PM
can you imagine it ever happening a UK citizen becomes an MP in Pakistan, ?:th_thth5952deef:

Captain Kong
28th March 2012, 04:43 PM
Hi Tony, Never thought of that, I will think about it next time they have an election. tho I may get my head blown off like that woman did last time.
Cheers

Red Lead Ted
29th March 2012, 12:37 AM
A new stealth tax tomorrow......... On jerry cans people are stocking up on them to warm there Greggs pasties they cant fuel me..........:D:D:D Jerry bombed are chipies during 2 world wars depriving us of our fish cakes, This government have deprived people of more than jerry ever did. Regards all Terry.:rolleyes:

happy daze john in oz
29th March 2012, 05:20 AM
Brain, maybe if you learned to speak Urdu she might answer. But maybe she could learn to speak English, now that would be something to write home about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you ever considered sign language using both fingers?????

Keith Tindell
29th March 2012, 05:51 AM
I have emailed my MP twice, re subsidised bar house of commons, and increase of booze for us etc, the reply i got was that he has forwarded my email to Francis Maude for attention, i suspect Maudes reply , if i get one, will be to stock up on booze using plastic jerrycans!!!!!!, the mans a bloody idiot, and he gets highly paid to create cockups like a fuel crisis. regards Keith

robpage
29th March 2012, 05:52 AM
can you imagine it ever happening a UK citizen becomes an MP in Pakistan, ?:th_thth5952deef:

Well if they chop the hands off thieves underr Sharia law it would make the politicians easier to spot , they would be the ones with two hooks !

Les Woodard
29th March 2012, 06:16 AM
Heard on the news last night and it is going to cause a real stir here in Oz. They are trying to get a bill through to DNA test all new babies to be stored by the police. Will not be long before we will all have a micro chip inserted in us so that all our information can be scanned. Where will this madness end. I am not to sure if it is a federal plan or a state one (I think it is a state one but not to sure) but as soon as I find out will amend posting to suit. I daresay that John daze will have heard about it if it is federal. Now that is one your lot have not thought of doing yet is it. I suppose the positive aspect would be to shoot all those who do not have a DNA profile as obviously they are illegal here.

John Pruden
29th March 2012, 07:09 AM
les i think the DNA should be taken of everyone{but not stored by the police} a data base for medical reasons yes and some crimes will be solved? it could be construed as a big brother type of law yes but there are arguments for the data base? nothing to hide nothing to fear? just my view.john:)

Les Woodard
29th March 2012, 03:08 PM
Well as I said earlier have found out it is our State NSW Liberals that are behind this. I can fully understand the principal of DNA testing everyone and yes it would enable law enforcement to monitor the population to the extent that a majority of crime would diminish. In reality though would anyone be happy with the antics of our governments to be in control of all this information. Just one rouge hacker getting into the data base could and would cause utter chaos not to mention the insurance companies and others chaffing at the bit to get into it as well. Seeing as there has not been much else on the news about it I think this has been shelved or someone was ahead of themselves in releasing the informantion that was intended to be a April the first new item. They do DNA test and keep records of any criminals here in NSW just not the rest of the population.

Red Lead Ted
29th March 2012, 10:30 PM
Fully understand the point maken, The question is can we trust our police forces to hold a national D.N.A. data base, I am not to happy or comfortable with it . We all know there still is a lot of coruption in the police force from the top down in all so called civilised countries around the world. And in the age of modern science where your countries C.P.S. Base there decision wether to prosocute or not mainly on D.N.A. Evidence i have to sit on the fence, I am really not convinced. If we can trust poloticians to hold a national data base under strict control, Only available to police forces under strict guidelines. That would make for Johns argument nothing to hide nothing to fear?. However as we all know are poloticians to be trusted 100%. Afraid not there are to many unsafe convictions now were people have been fitted up by police and government. Can you imagine a national D.N.A. database available to both very iffy in my opinion unless as i say regulated under an independent body of scientists and only available under strict control working together with the CPS Police government and a section of a trusted membership :rulez: of the state {no}. Regards Lads Terry.

John Callon
29th March 2012, 11:23 PM
Have read this thread with much interest and my take on what has been said only strengthens my resolve to vote BNP in the next election and lets get this country back to where it belongs i.e.back to the British. Up here in Scotland we have this moron Alex Salmond advocating an independant Scotland and breaking away from the UK. Total nonsense with no thought given to the ramifications of such an action. This will no doubt upset some of our Scottish members but what the hell, my shoulders are broad enought to take any flack. I despair what these politicians come up with. We have a government that has thown the entire nation into a frenzy of fuel buying whilst talks are to commence on Monday with ACAS to try and avoid the impending strike.
God give me some hope.
Regards,
John

Red Lead Ted
29th March 2012, 11:54 PM
As an Englishman !!!!!!! or as i prefere to be called British part of the United Kingdom. You may well take a lot of flack from your fellow Scots but i for one have nothing but admiration for your post, As anyone ever asked me do i want Scotland to stay in the U.K. No. The reason Alex Salmond and a few other,s up there are dragging there heals on a referendum. Is because in there heart they no this is not the right time to break away and i dont think Alex Salmond will be around long enough to see the right time if there ever is one. I have a brother who is married to a scotch lass lives up there in Dunlop so i am no stranger to Scotland and have many friends not all ex seaman. And i have to say the general mood i have found up there is that most people you speak to in Scotland have misgivings about going solo it is a very ambitious quest that could be gr8 for your fellow Scotsman. But dont rule out the other side of the coin there are a hell of a lot of things Scotland would have to impliment and not just there own treasurey it goes much much deeper i cant call your tune its up to the Scots themselves {IF} They get a referendum. All i will say is look at Southern Ireland since it joined the Euro. Have a pint of heavy on me m8 Regards TERRY LIVERPOOL. :clapping2:

Tony Morcom
30th March 2012, 12:05 AM
Watching all these people panic buying their petrol on the news today made me laugh. By the end of next week if strikes do come, they'll all have to do the exact same thing because most will have run out of petrol by then. All it seems to have achieved is some quick profits for the petrol companies because they have sold more than they usually would have done in such a short time. And just imagine how much fuel was wasted nationwide by people sitting in the queues with their engines running to keep their aircon on. Sheer madness. Next they'll all be panic buying in the shops as soon as the media hints that deliveries will be disrupted. Mind you the tanker drivers are probably coining in the extra overtime at the moment ready to see them through any strike. Couldn't believe it tonight when they said that the average wage for them with overtime was £47500. Wouldn't mind a bit of that myself!

Red Lead Ted
30th March 2012, 12:17 AM
My son ran out of petrol running around this evening looking for petrol?. And lets not forget not just the tanker driver,s raking it in how much do you think the chancellor is rubbing his hands. I want to here more about the biggest crises this coalition has had yet PASTYGATE.................:p:p { You cant kid a kidder} Regards Terry.:mad:

happy daze john in oz
30th March 2012, 05:38 AM
The concept of a DNA bank here in Oz has been around for a while. Argumenst for is that the police would in the event of a crime be better placed to aprehend the villan. Against say it is a breach of civil liberties. I can see benifits of such a scheme in the medical field and can see the police argument. The fact is that when G. Orwell wrote 1984 he was correct, just a bit early with the story.
I see the Libs won the recnt by-election by over 10,000 votes, they must be making some people happy.

robpage
30th March 2012, 05:41 AM
It took the press and TV away from the budget though ! . There is a new scandal over police corruption , releasing data , altering evidence , announced yesterday , would you trust Mr Bent Copper not to swap samples for the right bung , I cannot say that I honestly can

Les Woodard
30th March 2012, 06:22 AM
Posted this on another thread but think it should be seen if some of you have not seen it before. No wonder the UKIP party is getting more and more support.

Só Riso Mail Vídeos Cómicos Funny Videos - O político que representa realmente a população! (http://sorisomail.com/email/238743/o-politico-que-representa-realmente-a-populacao.html)

Captain Kong
30th March 2012, 07:28 AM
How is the Government going to get DNA SAMPLES from the FIVE Million Illegal Immigrants that no one knows where they are, If they cannot do everyone what is the point of taking some of the population.
Have a nice day,
Brian.

Ivan Cloherty
30th March 2012, 07:39 AM
On the news this morning it is reported that George Galloway of the "RESPECT PARTY" has won the bye election in Bradford by over 10,000 votes. Not one commentator mentioned the obvious that Galloway has his photo imprinted on large Iraqi flags hung from buildings in the city centre, not one commentator has mentioned the obvious that the vote is probably (or positively) made up from immigrant voters, possibly many illegals who are on the voters register (yes it happens) all the commentators and news stations it would appear are frightened to state the obvious. We the general public can see it so why not mention it.

Never thought I'd be posting anything on this thread, but it made me angry enough to do so, not angry that Galloway won, just angry that the news channels don't have any balls!

John Pruden
30th March 2012, 07:41 AM
lets say one night you are sitting watching the TV and a tin in the other the phone rings you get up the normal moan WHO THE ....IS THIS THIS TIME OF NIGHT? on the other end of the phone its a cry for help of a nurse from another land informing you you are a perfect match for bone marrow to a young child and its likely you are its only hope? do you say I DON'T WANT NONE or do you do your best to at least try and help? lads try looking at the good points not the bad? there is always argument for both sides. just my view.john

George
30th March 2012, 08:22 AM
Ivan, Rejoice in the fact that George Galloway has won. in the last election Brighton elected a Green Party member, ( her name escapes me for the moment) now Bradford have voted in a Respect Party member, For me these two Towns have shown the rest of us what this country needs to change things. With the majority he got up there in Bradford I would say that Edd Miliband and his Labour Party has a large headache this morning, also David Cammeron and his Liberal lap dogs must be feeling off colour with the collaps of there votes. Well done Bradford.
George
in Southampton

Jim Brady
30th March 2012, 09:10 AM
George,I dont think that we should celebrate George Galloway's victory with the Respect Party in Bradford,this result shows the further erosion of Britain to Johnny Foreigner.Ivan said he won by 10.000 votes so how many votes did he poll.99.9% of these votes will be of Pakistani,****** origen.
Gorgeous George loves the ****** people so he would be a cert to get in in any ****** area,his last constituancy was Bethnal Green another ****** stronghold.He runs the food convoy's to Palastine under the banner VIVA PALASTINA.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Ivan Cloherty
30th March 2012, 09:52 AM
I agree Jim, why would anyone (but each to his own) want to celebrate a George Galloway victory, the man is so Anti-British it is unbelievable. He only chooses seats where there is a non indigenous majority. His main aim his to disrupt any British Government irrespective of party, he panders to the immigrant vote so that he can gain power for his own ends and not for the good of the country. He is a powerful speaker (so was Hitler) extolling the virtues of immigrants, both legal and illegal and I acknowledge that some immigrants are beneficial to our country, Galloway's agenda is for his own ends and not for the benefit of his perceived constituents. At least the Green Party, whether or not you can remember their names have the interests of the whole country at heart, even if their policies are at times, or seem to be a little naive.

Just because we maybe anti-Tory or anti-Labour is no reason to accept the lowest common denominator.

But that's all I've got to say on the subject, as usually I do not get involved in politics around the messroom or saloon tables. It wasn't the fact that Galloway won that annoyed me it was the lack of backbone of the news media pointing out that Galloway had his face imprinted on the Iraqi flag colours and they were all hung over the town, this alone should show the measure of the man.

John Pruden
30th March 2012, 10:52 AM
WELL LADS you never know in a few years NO 10 will have a gold dome over the roof and a prayer Matt inside?{and that's no joke} either. the houses of parliament will be cooking halal on the menu we will have to go north of the boarder for a bacon butty? we the British white people are to lazy to get off our ar.es and vote and we will pay a price for that.just my view.john

Fouro
30th March 2012, 11:33 AM
Alex Salmond is going to destroy the SNP vote the same as the "Iron Lady" destroyed the Tory vote in Scotland. Being a Scot, I am proud that a Scottish king James VI of Scotland also became James Ist of England in 1603. This enabled the Crowns of Scotland and England to be united. James also decreed that the Royal Title would use the term "Great Britain" to refer to the "one imperial crown" made up of Scotland and England. James was also the first Stewart king to rule over Scotland and England. He ruled Scotland for 58 years and England for 22 years. My gt,gt,gt grandfather was John Stewart of Balquhidder. He was a direct line ancestor of Robert II. The Scots not being silly will vote to maintain a United Kingdom. Unlike Mr Salmond, I don't agree with his crazy idea of giving 16 year olds the right to vote just to suit his own needs. We elect politicians to give us the laws of the land, yet eight in ten laws now come from abroad. Nowadays our borders are left wide open, allowing thousands of illegal immigrants to live here in our country without trace. This country is going crazy, look at the panic over fuel at the present time. To be honest, I think the best idea for myself would be to build a shack on the slopes of Ben Vorlich and live the life of a hermit for the rest of my days. Maybe John Callon could do likewise and head for the slopes of Ben Lomond. In my opinion, the craziest people in the UK are the general public who put up with it all. Long may the Union Flag fly throughout Great Britain.

Regards,
FOURO ( a Scot who grew up in a hamlet situated 4 miles from the battlefield of Bannockburn and 6 miles from Stirlin Castle).

George
30th March 2012, 12:18 PM
Jim, Ivan, My appologies if I have mislead you in my last post. George Galloway is as you say anti British, and to say the least very essentric. My main point is he isn't a Tory, Liberal, or Labour, the very parties that have systematicaly brought this once Great Nation of ours to our knees. Resently we accused the chancelor of robing the pensioners to pay the rich tax cuts, wasen't it Gordon Brown as chancelor that robed us of some of the subsadies to our pensions when he was chanselor . What has either of the two main Parties done to halt the imigration to this Island, is it not the same two Parties that have pandered to the PC brigade, so that now we are no longer able to say what we think for fear of the courts. and what did either of the two Parties do while British industries like our MN, Ship Building, Steel Works etc, etc, folded, Lads I am sure you could add to the the Companies that have folded while the two main Parties have sat on there backsides doing nothing but pay lipservice to the problems, and paying themselfs scandulas amounts of money in expenses, drinking and eating in there subsidised canteen and Bar, payed for by us the tax payers. There is why I am happy to see one less sat in the House. Not becouse I like George Galloway, I don't. Just hope this explains what I was getting at in my earlier post
George
in Southampton

John Pruden
30th March 2012, 12:46 PM
it's maybe we do need the likes {and i am sorry to say} a different party altogether to tell the EU to stick there silly little rules up their ar.es we are an island stop the dross from dropping their hooks here and living of us through stupid loopholes in the immigration laws that they has dropped on us. having just watched a program on the roman empire there is an uncanny resemblance on then and now? it only needs one country to drop out and i think it would be like a house of cards but no one is willing to start the ball rolling? just my view.john

Ivan Cloherty
30th March 2012, 04:13 PM
Thank you George for clarifying your situation, it is appreciated. Unfortunately Mr Galloway will not be a benefit to the system because he has come under scrutiny in the past for (alleged) mis-appropriation of Parliamentary funds, seems they cannot help themselves, no matter what party they belong to. What he will bring to the house is lively debates but they will all be anti British and probably bring the House into more disrepute than it currently enjoys.

Again thanks for the clarification, it is appreciated

Regards Ivan

Ron B Manderson
30th March 2012, 04:13 PM
All together now.
"it's the same the Whole world over. its the rich that gets the pleasure. and the poor gets all the blame."
If you want to dodge paying vat on a pie, just wait at the end of the que and get a cooler one.
Easy, solved
Ron the batcave

Captain Kong
30th March 2012, 04:26 PM
Talikng about VAT on hot pies, what is the temperature of a hot pie when it is cool enough not to pay tax or what is the temperature of a cold pie when it is warm enough to pay tax, there has to be an interface temperature, Or you may be a tax dodger or a tax payer of a hot pie when it should be cool enough not to pay tax.
I think.
Cheers
Brian.

Ivan Cloherty
30th March 2012, 06:04 PM
Talikng about VAT on hot pies..........

Poor old Simple Simon, will he now buy the pie from the pieman on the way to the fair, or will he wait until the pieman gets to the fair and all the pies are cold or sold, and what about Georgie Porgie and his pies, and what about the four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie, does the Government not realise how many childrens stories they are throwing into a quandry, what do parents now tell their children!

and will the drunken seamen who get pizzed and pie eyed get charged extra VAT, it's all too much for me, makes you want to vote for the Monster Raving Looney Party

Chris Allman
30th March 2012, 06:08 PM
Monster Raving Looney Party

Arnt they the ones that are in at the moment Ivan :confused:

Chris

robpage
30th March 2012, 06:23 PM
it's maybe we do need the likes .......

That is where my problem is John , Labour politicians are no longer the men of the People they claim , the only one that I see that has remained stuck in his principles is Dennis Skinner . The Conservatives and labour politicians eminate from the same backgrounds . I look towards alternatives , they all seem to be on a lunatic fringe . The Green Lobby is unsustainable if the huge subsidies are taken away , The Monster Raving Looney party is what it says , I an highly suspicious of the BNP , only because it looks very similar to the Skinhead brigade in places , UKIP , well I am not sure about Nigel Faragee either ,So what alternative is there ?

Jim Brady
30th March 2012, 06:59 PM
Ivan,George Galloway never claims one penny expenses,Why?I am always a bit suspicious of somebody that likes to be lily white,he also does not drink but he does like a good Cuban cigar.He is a very clever guy and I must say that I realy admire him,his interrogation by the Yanks over the Iraqi oil was something tobe admired and a great performance.George I can see your view on the outcome of that vote and maybe this will make both parties realise that we have had enough.We are definitely heading for a double dip recession but the Chuckle Brothers have no intention of introducing a plan B.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Duke Drennan
30th March 2012, 07:12 PM
I agree with you John. I shudder to think what the politicians in an independent Scotland would do to the country, after emptying the cash registers, of course. I also think that the U.K. can ill-afford to be split up. I like to tout my Scottish heritage as much as the next Scot but I also feel distinctly British.

Captain Kong
30th March 2012, 07:42 PM
I once voted for the Monster Raving Loony Party, as they were only ones who told the truth.
They admited they were loony the other ones didnt.
Cheers
Brian

robpage
30th March 2012, 09:00 PM
Ivan,George Galloway never claims one penny expenses....

Hey he is not in the top ten , but his expenses are listed below , not a paltry sum to me !

George Galloway: Christmas cards claim on MPs' expenses was rejected - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/5412974/George-Galloway-Christmas-cards-claim-on-MPs-expenses-was-rejected.html) RE 2009 :- Mr Galloway turned up for just five per cent of votes, spoke in only four debates and submitted just three questions to Ministers. Despite this he claimed a total of £136,390 in expenses last year, including office and staffing.

Expenses

Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source (http://www.parliament.uk/mpslordsandoffices/finances.cfm)). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts (http://mpsallowances.parliament.uk/mpslordsandoffices/hocallowances/allowances-by-mp/george-galloway/).

Type
2008/09 (ranking out of 647)
2007/08 (ranking out of 645)
2006/07 (ranking out of 645)
2005/06
2004/05 (ranking out of 659)
2003/04 (ranking out of 658)
2002/03 (ranking out of 657)
2001/02 (ranking out of 657)

Staying away from main home
£0
£0
£0
£0
£20,902 (joint 1st with 187 others)
£17,150 (408th)
£18,900 (joint 371st with 1 other)
£5,000 (604th)

London costs
£2,916 (joint 1st with 49 others)
£1,978 (49th)
£2,712 (joint 1st with 46 others)
£2,360
£0
£0
£0
£0

Office running costs
£21,055 (172nd)
£17,721 (358th)
£13,718 (573rd)
£6,176
£10,660 (595th)
£18,799 (joint 13th with 178 others)
£16,899 (483rd)
£60 (656th)

Staffing costs
£101,343 (115th)
£94,005 (79th)
£89,700 (75th)
£97,809
£86,198 (12th)
£59,007 (600th)
£72,310 (joint 1st with 23 others)
£63,644 (8th)

Communications Allowance
£4,983 (476th)
£10,000 (joint 130th with 10 others)
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

Members' Travel
£0
£0
£0
£199
£4,903 (539th)
£7,236 (429th)
£9,748 (332nd)
£12,618 (122nd)

Members' Staff Travel
£0
£0
£0
£304
£1,856 (87th)
£1,581 (91st)
£699 (213th)
£443 (261st)

Members' Spouse Travel
£0
£0
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

Members' Family Travel
£0
£0
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

Centrally Purchased Stationery
£43 (642nd)
£47 (640th)
£259 (617th)
£182
£252 (joint 615th with 1 other)
£259 (611th)
£705 (joint 468th with 2 others)
£1,227 (254th)

Stationery: Associated Postage Costs
£485 (joint 619th with 1 other)
£163 (634th)
£0
£1,640 (471st)
£1,738 (457th)
N/A
N/A

Centrally Provided Computer Equipment

£1,058 (533rd)
£1,058 (joint 320th with 22 others)
£0
£1,823 (432nd)
£1,823 (425th)
£1,781 (444th)
£1,781 (388th)

Other Costs
£0
£11,096 (8th)
£0
£0
£16,838 (3rd)
£0
£5,717 (24th)
£0

Total
£130,340 (538th)
£136,390 (456th)
£107,610 (611th)
£107,030
£145,072 (46th)
£107,593 (541st)
£126,759 (54th)
£84,773 (joint 414th with 1 other)

Red Lead Ted
31st March 2012, 01:59 AM
Having had many a conversation with him on Talk Sport radio many times, I have nothing but respect for him . He says it as it is and not how he we want it to be. He very cleverly picked on Bradford as a Labour stronghold not in my opinion to discredit the Labour party, But to show people they can change things in there own constituent yes it may be true that bradford is awash with ethnic majorities which George Galloway was well aware of but he put his money were his mouth was and made his point he was never going to stand for Liverpool South or Glasgow East but love him or hate him he won by a very big majority when New Labour are 9 points ahead of the coalition in the poll,s.. The last time i personally voted Labour was at the sad death of one John Smith, A scotsman who believed in old labour values the values that most of us were brought up amongst. Our own Big Society, Know one had a pot to pis* in but there was know one seeking soup kitchens which is happening all over the U.K. Today. That phrase by David Cameron {BIG SOCIETY} Has ended up were Maggie Thatchers handbag did up for auction as an antique. I hope although dont think George Galloway,s victory will serve as a reminder to all the three major parties you can kid some of the people some of the time. But you cant kid all of the people all of the time Regards lads Terry.

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 AM ----------

Hey he is not in the top ten , but his expenses are listed below , not a paltry sum to me !

Look up the same figures on the two Northern Ireland MPs Who refuse to take there seat at Westminster it will amaze you Regards Terry.:mad:

---------- Post added at 02:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

.....Up here in Scotland we have this moron Alex Salmond advocating an independant Scotland....

Alex Salmond and the rest of the S.N.P. Have jumped on the gravy train just like Westminster. Unfortunately as in England you have citizens who cant see past there nose. Give a thought to Scottish indipendence for one minute on Defence/ Health/ Education/ Welfare/ Currency/ Resorses/ And power as in switching the light on which could end up a very soar point. We may have seen the best of it when we all sailed under the British Red Duster together thats why sites like this must stay alive in our memory, We are all in it together in Afghanistan Scots Guards, Irish Fusilierers, Lancashire Guards, Welsh Guards, We all as them young men will tell you have each others backs long may it continue Regards John Terry.;)

happy daze john in oz
31st March 2012, 04:58 AM
Maybe we should send it to our lot Les, they have a large black monetary hole just now!

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

WE had a state election in Queensland (aptly named) last week. 89 seats in a one house parliament. Labor was the outgoing party having lost. But the result was astonishing as the new house is,
Greens none,
Independents 2
Australian party 2
Libes (conservative) 78
Labour 7
The labor party leader has now quit so a bye election wil be called. Labor has less than ten seats so is not recognised as a political party. Most of this is a result of the outgoing premier lying to the electorate. Will not take the subsidy off fuel, will not sell the railway, etc, etc. What does she do, takes the subsidy off, sells the railway etc, etc. But now the real truth is coming out, the size of the fiscal deficit, oh boy.

Jim Brady
31st March 2012, 08:53 AM
Rob,G.G's expenses look quite good to me,I think most of it that was on there was his actual running costs.He must've moved to London 06 no claims for staying away from home (That can easily be fiddled) also no travel to work expenses from 06.I dont think he is the type to claim for a coffee and a kitkat.Looking at his stationary very low to my MP who claimed £1,600 for stationary and postage,I never recieved one letter from her.
Regards.
Jim.B.

John Arton
31st March 2012, 09:14 AM
George Galloway I can have some kind of respect for, any politician who goes into "Big Brother" house on T.V. and then dress's up in a silly costume and plays at being a servant to one of the other contestants cannot be taking him self to seriously, unlike the rest of the pigs at the trough.
My local M.P. a certain Milliband who earned £500,000 last year from lecture tours etc. has now signed up to the anti-pasty debate where VAT is going to be imposed on hot take away pasties and pies. Pictured with a Greggs pie in his hand demanding the goverment re-think its idea of imposing VAT on hot take away pasties and pies. My guess is he has never had a Greggs pasty or a Dicksens pie in his life before and would frown on such low food, but spotted a good photo opportunity to show that he really (sic) cares about local business's. If you have to pay VAT on take away fish and chips then maybe you should pay VAT on hot take away Pies and Pasties. Apparently the rule is that if take away food is served at more than the ambient temp. then VAT is chargeable.
This is another stupid Euro reg. which just goes to show how dumb they are in Brussels and how they make regulations so complicated as to make them incomprehensible to the average guy in the street.
rgds
Capt. John Arton (ret'd)

john walker
31st March 2012, 09:29 AM
On a slightly lighter note, when G.G. was campaigning for re-election to his east London constituency a few years ago. It was reported in one of the more right wing national tabloids, that he was touring the area on an open top campaign bus when somebody threw a piece of fruit at him. This scored a direct hit, there was a photograph of him looking very angry with a caption reading 'This is a case of the fan hitting the S**T'

robpage
31st March 2012, 12:27 PM
The pie I always remember John , is the ones that used to get served in the " Westoe " at South Shields , they got to the pub direct from the Baker's shop somewheer just off the Westoe Road near the Civic Offices , they were about 6 inches round and beef and onion , with a layer of scalding hot fat floating on the meat , They used to remove the skin off your lips and palate on a daily basis , and required at least three pints of McKewans to cool your mouth down afterwards . They used to be at least twenty percent FAT , which may have been a forerunner of the modern VAT

I don't have a problem with any elected MP , as long as they are elected by the right and proper means , and don't steal from us , I do have a problem with them earning from lecture tours , and flying the world for meetings with vast entourage all at our expense . If you preach austerity then you should practice it . and if you want to be an MP it is a Full Time job , not a part time hobby so I expect 40 hours a week 46 weeks of the year from them . I also dont understand why secreterial services for their parlimentary job cannot be state funded rather than claimed for , why overnight accomadation is not paid at the rate of the Holiday inn , single room rate , per night that it is needed .

George Galloway is one of the less greedy ones , but it costs £130,000 a year to run his office , so what do we pay for the rest of the members . I think they could practice some savings there , I thought the allocated offices in the Houses of parliment were free , so I think the £130,000 is quite high for one man's support team .

Tony Wilding
1st April 2012, 07:03 AM
Its still one gigantic fiddle, no way will they lose there perks, just find other ways of claiming them, they are just plain dishonest, its gone on too long for them to change. they earn vast amounts of money from other means, :th_thth5952deef:

Jim Brady
1st April 2012, 07:04 PM
Imagine what we could do with £250m,couple of new schools hospitals etc,no money for such things.But then we have the Overseas Aid Budget this helps out the worlds poorest people.Poorest people!!! but then again if you are Lord Ashcroft the Tories biggest donor by far you may have a pet project of yours in mind that you want funding.He has paid the Tories some £10m and recently had one of Daves £250.000 lunches,result the goverment has decided to fund an airport costing £250Million on the remote island colony of St.Helena.Maybe Lord Ashcroft would like to fly his private jet there with William Haig and a few more of them that have had a go in it,he remembers being there in 1948 and falling into a pond it would be nice to fly back there in ones own jet and have a look at the place.What is this Government thinking of cutting back of every thing then funding something like this,I just dont believe it.
Regards.
Jim.B.

robpage
1st April 2012, 08:16 PM
WE gave 1.4 billion to India who has a Space Programme and a Nuclear Bomb , so do they really need our cash . I'll agree with the St Helena project though , I believe that the RMS St Helena will go out of service in 2015 , so those citizens of the British Overseas territory will be cut off from medical aid , emergency supplies etc . If the St Helena was replaced the service has to be at the best monthly , so I think the airstrip there is overdue , It is still an 800 mile stretch to Ascention a military base or 1200 miles to Angola or Namibia . AND !!! it is s good staging post in case of an Argentinian agressive action in the Falklands .

I cannot bellieve in the aid to the poor and starving which ends up in a Swiss Bank in the name of an African Goverment's own officials , we supported 7000 workers in Zimbabwe last year , I wonder how much of that aid is in Mugabwe's bank account , I know the BBC apologised to Bob Geldolf for accusing Band Aid of being fooled by African Rebels , but I dont trust the Somalis in general .

Current commitments for this year are

India

£295m

Pakistan*

140m

Ethiopia*

£214m

Afghanistan

£133m

Bangladesh*

£149m

Nigeria*

£114m

Sudan

£146m

Congo (Dem Rep)*

£109m

Tanzania

£144m

Ghana

£90m

I would stop a lot of those on several grounds , but the St Helenans , I would let them have their Airport

happy daze john in oz
2nd April 2012, 06:18 AM
But how do they determin if a pie is hot or cold. Our health regualtions say food must be kept at 60 degrees to keep it free from bugs. Once it goes below that it must be dumped!
Now I need some info, I have heard that in UK even the unemployed have to continue paying NH contributions or their future pennsion will be cut. Is thsi the case?

robpage
2nd April 2012, 07:09 AM
To get your "Old Age " pension you need thirty years of contributions on your records , it used to be forty years , but changed on 2009 . If you are unemployed you need to sign on to become exempt from the contribution , or rather to have the time in counted . A slight unfairness when it comes to Political Coorrectness , is mothers can get an exemption for the years that they were bringing up the children , I do not believe that this applies to husbands . When I retired in 2008 at 58 I rang the local dole office who said I needed to sign on , but because I had a private pension of over £35 a week I would not get Jobseekers allowance or any other benefit , as it is all a means tested benefit . I asked then if I would get an expense for the fortnightly 16 mile drive and the parking fee to "sign on " . All I can say is that the advisor ob the phone was quite rude and unhelpful . I was not able to get a sensible answer , all I got was "you people need to sign on HERE !!!! " . I rang the central National insurance office in Gateshead and not only got the advice I needed but it was dished out in a pleasant and helpful manner . They advised that the change in requirements from 2009 meant that only thirty years NI contribution was needed , but currently I already had forty years in , having been continually in employment from the age of 16 . I know they have a tough job dealing with teh public but the guy at Cosham , Portsmouth Jobcentre was ignorant and uneccesarily rude .

Keith Tindell
2nd April 2012, 07:21 AM
I had a similar situation, when i retired at 52 the following year they sent me a bill for the missing contributions, i went in to the office with my cheque book, a very helpful women said dont pay them, from 60-65 you will have them credited to you free, that will give you enough for a full pension. And thats what i did, regards Keith

Jim Brady
2nd April 2012, 07:55 AM
I appreciate your sentiment Rob but when you see a school here in a desperate need of repair but we are told there is no money in the kitty to spend on it,it is annoying to say the least when you see an airstrip costing £250M built on some island thousands of miles away,as does the overseas aid to those other countries that you have listed.Yes you say the people of St.Helena need our help but it is my view that our children here need a school fit for purpose and they should be given priority.I think I'm more annoyed to think that Lord Ashcroft could've persuaded this government to fund the airstrip because of his donations and connections.
Regards.
Jim.B.

john walker
2nd April 2012, 08:16 AM
I received a letter a couple of years ago from the National Insurance people, stating that I was also short on my contributions. It gave me the option to pay (A bit less than a £1000) or not pay, It pointed out that if I did not pay it could affect my pension on retirement. On making further enquiries I also discovered that by the time I retire at 65 I will have paid enough contributions. that is a legal form of embezzlement.
The other way the government is squeezing money out of us on N.I. contributions is by the % route where as it was a fixed amount for everybody per week it is now (I think) 11% of my monthly salary. £282 per month is an awful lot more than the £5 per week or whatever we used to pay.
There is one other thing about this N.I. contribution that bugs me If I had spent most of my life on the dole or in prison the government would have covered my contributions and on reaching 65 I would receive a full pension. The few years that I have missed were because I was working on Foreign Flag vessels or in shoreside employment in Foreign countries that is not covered and would mean a lesser pension.

Captain Kong
2nd April 2012, 09:01 AM
but the St Helenans , I would let them have their Airport
Rob.
Hi Rob, I dont think St Helena should have an airport. it would be the ruination of a beautiful Island.
I last went to St Helena in 2002 and it is a naturaly beautiful place. They had just got Satalite TV and for the first time those lovely people were seeing crime, on those awful American TV shows. It really was affecting them.
The people there were living in a time warp where it was the same as a hundred years ago,
The people were very happy in their isolation. A little fishing, a little farming etc.
Now if you build an airport all that will end, Holiday Inns and Hiltons sprouting up everywhere, KFCs, MacDonalds, rubbish, garbage, polluting everywhere, hundreds of thousands of daft tourists pouring in, Ski boats speeding round the bay, the whole environment, peace and quiet, being destroyed. The poor people who once lived in a paradise will now have to work for peanuts, whilst being exploited by all kinds of foreign companies, just to survive. They will be pushed off their land to build the airport and again when the Hotels come. I have seen it happen so many times around the world, Paradise to be destroyed for Profit by foreign Investors.

NO, a Thousand Times No to the Airport.
Just leave them alone.
Cheers
Brian.

robpage
2nd April 2012, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=Captain Kong;85120]NO, a Thousand Times No to the Airport.[QUOTE]

I was last there in 1972 , It was idyllic , a little fishing and farming , the only attraction was Napoleon's old house and empty grave , We got there with a Deck cargo of petrol in 45 gallon barrels , the Island had run dry , no tanker drivers to go on strike there . Clan line used to boost the regular monthly Mail ship call from the Good Hope & Southampton Castles . The kids had to come back to the UK for a good secondary education , there was limited medical facilities etc . I would agree with leaving it alone , I dread it when I see cruises to the Galapagos and the Antarctic . The proposed runway is 6000 feet , which restricts the aircraft that can use it to planes like the Airbus 319 , Boing 737 etc , but it is unlikley that from a major centre like Cape Town that these could run fully loaded , so I would hope that this alone would restrict tourism . My thoughts were that this development was impossible back forty years ago , because there was not a straight enough piece of island to build a runway on , modern technology , like most things today has a way around that . When the St Helena eventually retires in 2015 then I cannot see what alternatives there are for the St Helenans except the Airport ./ (http://www.sainthelenaaccess.com/news/2009/11/02/consultation-report-on-whether-an-airport-is-the-most-appropriate-option-for-access-to-st-helena-in-the-current-economic-climate/)St Helena currently costs the UK about £20m each year to administer and while the airport would cost £250m, it was hoped that it would enable the island to become sustainable. I understand that there was considerable local anger when the plan was shelved a few years ago . At the moment the local wage is £70 a week , so most of the working men/ women leave the Island , leaving granny to hold the babies . I share your sentiments Brian , after all when the airport arrives the first Kebab shop and Curry house will follow very soon , but what is the alternative to the end of the St Helena , and as far as I know the end of the last Royal Mail Service ship , there will be a tear from me when R.M.S no longer preceeds a Ship's name anywhere in the world . The decision dates back to 2009 , and there is a very good consultation document at Consultation report on whether an airport is the most appropriate option for access to St Helena in the current economic climate : News and Press Releases – Saint Helena Access Project (http://www.sainthelenaaccess.com/news/2009/11/02/consultation-report-on-whether-an-airport-is-the-most-appropriate-option-for-access-to-st-helena-in-the-current-economic-climate/) which is a great insite to what the Islanders actually want . I Still think a Ship is a good option , but no one , it seems wants to run or build one , if what I am reading is true then there is no alternative other than abandonment .

Captain Kong
2nd April 2012, 12:29 PM
Yes I can see your point Rob, it is just that I have seen it too often around the world, these lovely little places destroyed by Big Business and over development. The native is pushed out. . I guess it is all called `Progress`.

It is like a joke that I Half remember......
the business man says if you work for me then when you retire you can buy a boat, go Fishing, go swim on a beach, relax in the sun and grow bananas, Paw Paw, mangoes and all kinds of stuff in your garden.
The Native says,
"I do all that already."

Cheers
.Brian.

robpage
2nd April 2012, 12:36 PM
One of my favorite places in all the parts of this globe that I have travelled is a small greek Ionian Island that 20 years ago had one ATM cash machine , a lot of Greek owned Tavernas , and a great life style , now the Tourists ( 18- 30 style ) has not only destroyed it but they have taken it beyond the point of no return . I just hope that St Helena remains remote , and that even the rich tourists , just dont make it there . I like you think there has been too much too far , but the balance is sustainability and what tips the balance with me is the loss of the RMS St Helena in 2015 , If that still ran , I would not be defending the airport one tiny iota .

happy daze john in oz
3rd April 2012, 06:45 AM
There are many spots around the globe that have been destroyed by tourism. Bali is one, but next door is the Island of Lombok. Only one small part has been taken over, the rest is still pristine, well for now anyway. Driven all around the island and it is pure paradise, but then many parts of Bali away from the tourists is much the same. Been to places there that even the locals only go to on specila occasions. But as with any country, get away from the toruist areas and eat where the locals eat.

Ivan Cloherty
3rd April 2012, 07:15 AM
Isn't it funny when we go somewhere out of the ordinary and find that idyllic spot we say "we hope it doesn't get spoilt by tourists" perhaps forgetting that we are a tourist at that time and are starting the avalanche !

alf corbyn
3rd April 2012, 04:12 PM
thats ok john, but some of the native food takes some getting used to. i have just read about slicing a mokeys head open and all eating its brains while it is still alive.

Willie Saunders
3rd April 2012, 04:13 PM
Ivan, we werent tourists, we were visitors !http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.png

Captain Kong
3rd April 2012, 05:11 PM
Last year I went to several Islands in the Tuomotus, Kiribati, Fanning Island and Marquesses in the South Pacific.the islands had no airstrips, No hotels or Kebab shops. just pure natural south seas, I guess we were just visiters not your average tourists. each Island especially Fanning Island where the people had nothing, not even a water supply, or electricity etc
We left six Barrels for them to collect rain water in and a few supplies to keep them going until the nex trip,
The ship went there every year and left a few supplies for them. The people were happy that we had called, they were singing and thankful that we had taken the trouble to visit them. I think a hord of tourists an airport and hotels and Spud U Like would destroy their little paradise. they would never be the same again.
Cheers
Brian.

Ivan Cloherty
3rd April 2012, 05:29 PM
Willie, it wasn't personal, it was a generalisation, I don't do personal :rolleyes:

robpage
3rd April 2012, 05:36 PM
In Post #82 there is a link , the vast majority of Islanders want the Airstrip , The Island population is decreasing quite rapidly . I would leave everywhere alone , but their words tell us that is what , rightly or wrongly they want . After all the Falklenders have chosen to be British as have the Gibraltarians . I think tourists either the rich or the masses should be banished from the faces of quite a few places , but economies and growth in remote communities , in Western states such as Greece people live for the Tourist Euro .

I had a good think about this one , despite Lord Ashcroft's desire , the Islanders say it all , an overwhelming majority want that runway , Greed will overcome them and the Hilton will appear and the 1955 Morris Oxford taxi that I toured the island in will be updated to a Mercedes E 320 , and Jamestown will get a McDonalds , but the Island will approach self sustainability ( Maybe )

Red Lead Ted
4th April 2012, 12:01 AM
Fouro, quiet correct if 16yr olds get the vote up there which is a move that i would hope even them can see through. I seriously think if people get off there backsides and vote not just in general elections but local and bye elections. This coalition will not get another term in office. Having said that as i have said i personally have not seen my M.P. In the skin for 15yrs They have got to get off there ar*e and put a manifest together that will reunite the {BRITISH} Public Regards Terry.:mad:

Les Woodard
5th April 2012, 06:38 AM
Not really in the same subject as this thread but did not want to start another one of so posting it here. This happened here in Sydney and as far as I can tell it is the rag heads that made this a racist issue. Now I know that they do not have a sense of humour maybe they spend to much time with the rectum up in the air. Might not be to everyones taste but agree with what the people where talking about in we are not all considered equal and I am sure that is what the rag heads are on about as well but obviously not from this clip. Bear with me and if this does not turn out will delete the post.

****** man angry at protesters wearing burqas - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy_0mz03LpI&feature=share)

Evan Lewis
5th April 2012, 10:15 AM
Can't go past john Prescott.
Enabled in to parliament .over the backs of the National Union of Seamen.
What's the saying?
"You can fool some of the People some of the time etc.
He made it an art form.

Ron B Manderson
5th April 2012, 06:35 PM
I drag my wife to vote.
I don't care if she puts a cross on every box. That's her business, but I still want her to make the effort.

On the 16 year old voting.. You send them off to war not long after that boirthday, so if the are good enought to do that , they should be able to vote.

I see up here the new voting papers have 6 boxes in Forfar. They now want you to but in your first choice then the second and so on.
I thought that was chucked out or was this only for voting for westminster. Or is this backdoor trick again.
I think as in some counties you have to vote.
Next door from me voted one way as she thought that person was better looking than the other. With that, what can you do. As one kid said to his father " Is it true in scotland they have more Pandas than tory MP." I think it will stay that way.

This lot in westminster will be shot at dawn next election.
I hope the really rich don't loose their work credits.( toungh in cheek)
Ron the batcave

Les Woodard
5th April 2012, 06:49 PM
Ron here in Oz you have to vote otherwise you get fined for not doing so. We have that system of preferential voting where you tick all the box's and can end up with your vote going to the party that you did not vote for. Some just tick the one box so that if that candidate does not get in then your vote is null and void. A lot of voters just go and get their name ticked of the register. You should see the upper house voting sheet. if you where to tick all the box's you would be in there for about half an hour as there are about a hundred box's or more to tick or just one tick above the line for a party vote.

Was glad to see on the news the other day that the young ones are protesting (in Denmark I think) about the ******s trying to take over Europe. It is good to see that generation is not going to take it lying down and there is hope for all of us still.

Tony Morcom
6th April 2012, 12:14 AM
I think that we should have that system here as well. One has to wonder what the situation would have been if everyone had been forced to vote in the last election. One thing is certain the present coalition seems very unlikely. Just my thoughts.

Keith at Tregenna
6th April 2012, 12:28 AM
To be honest I have not read all but will: I do ask how in the world do you anticipate all being in it together, when prescription charges have been raised again in England ? There is no charge for the same in Wales, Scotland N.Ireland. Surely, it makes sense that all pay say 2 pound than England and the English pay over 7 subsidising all ?

Of to see the Doc, over the border in the morning !

K.

happy daze john in oz
6th April 2012, 06:20 AM
Les you can make your vote count by just putting one against the person you want and zero against all the others. It is legal that way and you do not end up giving your preferences to Donald duck.