PDA

View Full Version : Conway, Anglesey

Wagga
15th March 2012, 01:04 PM
Anyone remember Mr McLeod who worked at Conway during the sixties?
Here is an interesting story surrounding him which had great repercussions on my life:

My Dad was in the RAF, based at Valley just down the road from Conway. Mr McLeod and him seemed to become good friends. I was encouraged to become a Merchant Navy Officer and an entrance exam was procured by Mr McLeod. I was show round the college and indeed it was an impressive place.
I had high hopes but my parents made me sit the exam in an official manner and I failed. Mr McLeod was bemused and said how about the Indefatigable just down the road? The rest is history.

Not long after this Mr McLeod was due to have a meal with us one night at Valley in our married quarter. He didn't turn up. Then quite late, there was a knock at our door (we did not have a phone) to say that he had collapsed and died whilst trying to fix his car. He was only 50.

I was able to visit his grave once, in Menei Cemetry (I think) in about 1970

It's all part of the book "Running For Home".

john sutton
15th March 2012, 03:23 PM
I used to know conmay well as I kept a boat there for about 12 years.cant recall a Mcloed.What did he do.
The duncalfe family were good friends of mine and several members of the cruising club.also remember dave "jasmin"
john sutton

Wagga
16th March 2012, 05:51 PM
To be honest, I can't remember. I was only 13 at the time. He was one of the Officers there, one of the instructors I imagine. He had no problem getting me an entrance exam to play with. Didn't work though, never mind its all a long time ago!