PDA

View Full Version : Vindi Sea Pie

George
27th November 2008, 11:39 AM
Have just read in my Vindi Mag the recipe for the imformace sea pie but how did the cooks prepair it and what seasoning did they use (please don't mention the cockroaches) Regards George in Southampton :eek::eek:

David Williams
27th November 2008, 01:46 PM
Hi George.
Dont know what went into the Sea Pie,I dont think
that I even want to know.Just talking about makes
me imagine that I can still taste it!!!.

Dave Williams(R583900)

deckboy
11th April 2009, 09:13 AM
The major thing I can recall is the cook always having a fag whilst serving sea pie scouse or any other delicacy. The only thing you hoped was that the ash didn't fall on your plate. It didn't seem to matter if it fell in the soup as it was stirred in quite swiftly. We all survived it anyway.

Peter Clarke, Deck 1958.

Doc Vernon
11th April 2009, 09:51 AM
Dont know about the Vindi days (heard a lot about it though) and never heard of that Sea Pie but sounds as if it could have been rough stuff haha!
Anyway all you Vindi Lads this is for you!

VINDI BOY

Born and bred in Tiger Bay

In Ď49 I made my way

To Sharpness on the river Severn

To join the Vindi; it wasnít heaven

Up at dawn, go for a run

Something I had never done

More of this every day

How I long for yesterday.

Knots and splices, learn the ropes

When I left home, I had high hopes

Now I know I made an error

ĎCos captain Angel was a terror.

Under the clock, in distress

Said captain Angel, "Scrub the mess"

Pangs of hunger every day

Iíve just had a parcel "hooray"

Woodbines, and money, just what I need

Now off to the village for a good feed.

I finished the course, so Iím off to sea

A life on the ocean-wave for me

Looking back, I can say

The Vindi made me what I am today.

Cheers

Neil Morton
15th July 2009, 05:23 AM
G,day fellas, this may sound corny but I never had a moments discomfort whilst at the old Vindi.Of the 32 young men in my hut I still call two my mates. I passed all the tests and ended up with badges all over that itchy blue serge uniform they gave us.When I joined my first ship "Andria" Cunarder out of Vic dock I walked proudly down the wharf in full bib and tucker that stupid berret on my bonce to cat calls from all and sundry. At the top of the gangway a docker said, " Hello sailor, who's a pretty boy then"? If I had been two feet taller and three stone heavier he'd have been off work for a week. Ha Ha !!:eek:

Neil Morton
15th July 2009, 05:40 AM
Believe it or not I taught my wife to make Sea Pie, only nowadays we use fresh fish.Here goes.

First you take some nice juicy prawns and fry them in olive oil, butter and garlic. Set aside to keep warm
Next you need a little smoked cod gently seethed in milk, butter and a little cracked pepper.

Add some white fillet of any fish, we use John Dory. add all the fish in a casserole dish and cover with white sauce which is made with cream and a dash of sherry and a squeeze of lemon juice. Cook in a moderate oven for 20 mins. Meanwhile boil and mash some spuds, remove casserole lid add the spuds and return to a hot oven for 20 mins, and voila Sea Pie.

Now that aint Vindi style cos nothing is out of a tin.Bon Appatite guys.

Neil Morton (mort)

albertliss1935
1st November 2009, 10:39 PM
I was on the vindi in 1951 and I am convinced the sea pie consisted of cockle shells and saw dust and was bonded together with cow dung and the crust was made from sand and cement. if my wife ever served it up to me there would be a quicky divorce:confused:

happy daze john in oz
2nd November 2009, 04:33 AM
Are you sure there was fish in that pie? I recall one day seeing one of the cooks picking up a dead seagull, they taste very fishy I am told, and the feathers would add texture to the dish.

alf corbyn
2nd November 2009, 09:24 AM
hi lads. at gravesend(the better class school) we had a kind of sea pie. same as the steak pie but with fish. both had a topcoat of a kind of suet pastry very doughy and heavy. cheers. alf.:D:D

Graham Payne
2nd November 2009, 05:36 PM
Hi All,
At The "Indefatigable" where a most superior class of students where accomodated ( most where from the goverment approved schools list ) , take that as you wish ?? we had a green mincemeat curry cooked by the Storeman, kept your bowels regular!!!:rolleyes:

happy daze john in oz
3rd November 2009, 05:41 AM
Graham mate, are you saying that was Irish meat they used, or was it something worse?????

Graham Payne
3rd November 2009, 01:46 PM
Hi John
Think it was Welsh Lamb 5years past it's sell by date, the Storeman WAS Welsh. NO offence whatsoever intended to our Taffy mates." PHEW" .:);)

Kevin Hargin
4th November 2009, 01:26 PM
Believe it or not I taught my wife to make Sea Pie, only nowadays we use fresh fish.Here goes.

First you take some nice juicy prawns and fry them in olive oil, butter and garlic. Set aside to keep warm
Next you need a little smoked cod gently seethed in milk, butter and a little cracked pepper.

Add some white fillet of any fish, we use John Dory. add all the fish in a casserole dish and cover with white sauce which is made with cream and a dash of sherry and a squeeze of lemon juice. Cook in a moderate oven for 20 mins. Meanwhile boil and mash some spuds, remove casserole lid add the spuds and return to a hot oven for 20 mins, and voila Sea Pie.

Now that aint Vindi style cos nothing is out of a tin.Bon Appatite guys.

Neil Morton (mort)what did you do with the prawns fried in olive oil?????? brgds kev.

Glenn Baker
5th November 2009, 03:30 AM
I stil have nite mares about te food at the Vindi, I have needed counselling for the past 45 years. Glenn

Joseph Dodds
14th December 2013, 11:59 AM
Vindi Victuals...
We called the Cocoa "Anti-W*nk"...
Here's part of a song we used to sing...
They say that on the Vindi
The food is very fine
But a pea rolled off the table
And killed a mate of mine...
Oh I don't want to be a Vindi Boy...
Gee-Boy I want to go
But they won't let me go...
Oh but I want to go home...