PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunate names:

Keith at Tregenna
17th February 2012, 11:51 PM
Feet up earlier, watching TV: Did wonder if some Christian / first names and the surnames etc are actually unlucky ? EG: Why do we always fire at Will, the French always sack Ray Blurr etc ?

Certain you can come up with a few more.

What about one man ? One man is knocked down in a traffic related incident three times a day, he must be well P'd off.

K.

?

Keith at Tregenna
18th February 2012, 09:49 AM
'Most unfortunate names' revealed:

Some good ones at this LINK: BBC NEWS | UK | 'Most unfortunate names' revealed (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7909561.stm)

INCLUDING:

Justin Case

Barb Dwyer

Stan Still

Jo King

ETC.

"I got my first name from my father, and my middle name from somebody who obviously didn't think I'd ever run for President." — Barack Hussein Obama, 2008 Al Smith Foundation dinner.

K.

Chris Allman
18th February 2012, 11:18 AM
How about ' Ivor Wright ' now there is a good ' sea lawyer's ' name :)

Chris

alf corbyn
18th February 2012, 12:31 PM
nosmo king ben dover alf

Keith at Tregenna
18th February 2012, 12:42 PM
Possibly not the best name for a shoe shop!

PLEASE SEE ATTACHED.

:rolleyes:

K.

Trebor
18th February 2012, 02:17 PM
We used to have a crane operator on our platform called Richard Blowers, people took great delight in putting out PA announcements for him, e.g. "Can Dick Blowers please contact the Control Room", etc.!

robpage
19th February 2012, 02:15 PM
There was an Electronics manufacturere in Bognor Regis which is now known as WK Electronics after being known for many years as Wayne Kerr , you cannot make these things up , here is their website

Wayne Kerr Electronics - home page (http://www.wayne-kerr.co.uk/)

Keith at Tregenna
19th February 2012, 04:41 PM
I WORKED YEARS AGO: With a real pretty girl, the chap she eventually married was a Morris Cronk, Morris then was a Motor car and a Cronk would have been a real old crap car.

Morris Cronk combined in the times was funny, worst was this beaut became Mrs. Cronk.

K.

David Williams
19th February 2012, 08:36 PM
Hi Keith.
I new a chap in Tenby with the surname of Bowler.
He had a son who he called Thomas,but was nicknamed
Tom.......TOMBOWLER....sounds like a game of bingo.

Dave Williams

Keith at Tregenna
19th February 2012, 11:38 PM
Now David you have turned the thread a bit, though your post fits the bill. the mention of Tenby brings back memories, could write for hours of my relationship with the town. Tenby Rocks and has done so for an age. Although have visited since, was there in both 76 and 77. Although, from Industrial South Wales. personally love pretty Wales.

In our South look at the Gower and the coast onward's, Pendine, Saundersfoot and more, Tenby herself and all of Pembroke, Cerredigion and on. Llan fair pg always worth a look see and not till real North around Rhyl and Prestatyn that the language takes a real turn towards Liverpudlian.

A Tenby name to note were the Fecci's, family still keep the best chippy and ice cream and have a hold with the Rugby, think Francessca is treasurer or similar with Tenby RFC, Sidoli, Forte etc are all closely associated with both business and resorts etc.

Was not Llanelli the origin of the little saucepans ? Sospan Fach and all that.

Do recall one year, a tale from the stadium that a wallet had been handed in, it held 50 quid etc and would Mr. Jones go to admin after the match, apparently hundreds or more Mr. Jones's turn up at the office.

Gosh, I turn my own post from unfortunate to the bread of heaven and add “Laugharne" to this: Please see LINK: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/showbiz-and-lifestyle/arts-in-wales/2011/03/11/no-regrets-says-men-behaving-badly-star-91466-28315452/

K.

happy daze john in oz
20th February 2012, 04:10 AM
We have aroad here in Melbourne Ernst Wanke drive, but the most crowded house must be the one the courts hear of, 'no fixed address'.

Louis the Amigo
20th February 2012, 09:34 AM
Hi shipmates A real korean diplomats name my sons friend is a teacher { of english over there} Bum Suck !!!!

Jim Brady
20th February 2012, 02:33 PM
years ago one of us would go to the phone box outside the pub,phone the pub and ask the barmaid if Mike Hunt was in,when you hear a barmaid shouting is Mike Hunt in here around the pub it caused much amusement.How about the two Scots guys.Ben Doon and Phil McCrackin.
Regards.

Jim. B.

Tony Morcom
20th February 2012, 05:20 PM
The oldies are always the best Jim :laughing:

Jacyn Wade
21st February 2012, 10:58 PM
There was an unfortunate lad in one of my schools in the 1970s who was always dressed in grey flannel trousers, white shirt, carried a briefcase and whose name was Tony Dinkoff. Teased unmercifully.

I try to stay away from 'unfortunate name' discussions... you have no idea how hard it is to be a female named Jacyn. Cheers!

Ron Kendall
21st February 2012, 11:07 PM
Nobody has mentioned those two well known characters, Patrick Fitzwilliam, and William Fitzpatrick.

Jim Brady
22nd February 2012, 04:17 AM
When I worked in Southport I had a customer Fanny Airey.As the surname always preceded the christian name in our paperwork you can imagine the laughs this name caused.As it happens Airey is a well known name in the Formby area which is a few miles outside Southport.
Regards.
Jim.B.

David Williams
22nd February 2012, 03:20 PM
Hi Keith.
All the names you mentioned almost brought a
lump to my throat,but brought back special
memories.For twenty two years,we went on holiday
to Tenby.I was (still am) a keen sea angler,and the
EUROPEAN TOPE ANGLING CHAMPIUONSHIPS were
held there,attracting teams from all over Europe and
on a couple of years,even from South Africa.Spent
a few happy hours in the Buccaneer,Hope & Anchor
and the rugby club in Upper Frog Street.Feccies must
have the best fish and chips in Wales,but they had to
be eaten out from a paper bag in the open air,hell I can
taste them now that I have mentioned them

Dave

john sutton
22nd February 2012, 08:16 PM
how about Richard Head.(think about it)
john sutton

Keith Tindell
22nd February 2012, 10:25 PM
One of the guys i worked with was Les Carr, nickname Wang, regards Keith

Keith at Tregenna
22nd February 2012, 10:41 PM
Hi Keith.
All the names you mentioned almost brought a
lump to my throat,but brought back special
memories:

Dave

When we were kids, dad was still MN, then ill health and a family saw him home and working locally. He had seen enough of the world in reality and little of home, money then was tighter also I imagine. Our hols like many were day tripos originally and we went everywhere. Tenby always a fave, but could end up at all places of historic interest etc also, so London occurred often and as kids we saw all from the Cutty Sark and Maritime Museum etc to all the sites from York and more to Plymouth. Southamton a nd again even more. Later a week in Tenby was usual plus.

Love the place to bits, worked for two summer seasons later and knew most that mattered. Must add some info soon to keep the thread going, but will add more on the Welsh Riviera and on.

K.

Clive Williams
23rd February 2012, 08:24 AM
There was a secretary at my last job,by the name of Susan Hager. She had a brass plate on her door that read "SHAGER"

robpage
23rd February 2012, 11:06 AM
how about Richard Head.(think about it)
john sutton

An Engineering manager at a nearby factory was blessed with that name , nobody ever shortened his first name to Dick , I always wondered why

Keith at Tregenna
23rd February 2012, 09:41 PM
Met a couple years ago, her name was Theresa Green, she could not fathom the humour that we did and had lived with it all her life ? Guess her mates may have been: Robyn Banks, Nora Bone, Dee Zaster, Rosie Peach, Ima Kettle, Hazel Nutt, Daisy Chain, Pearl E. Whites, Penny Wise, Annette Kirton etc,

Cannot remember his name for the life of me, think it was something fairly normal, but for humour sake guess at:

Justin Case. Dan Druff, Seymour Legg, Tim Burr, Ash Hull, Phil Hole. Owen Money, Norman Knight. Doug Graves, Justin Tune amongst others ?

Any more Terri Bull names ?

K.

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Humour usually follows a pattern. Based on initial impression we think that something is true, however, when we see additional evidence, which shows that we were wrong, we laugh at the absurdity. Sometimes we smile as a defence mechanism to hide being caught out.

APPARENTLY:

Barbers shop named: 'Herr Kutz'.

Driving school in Merseyside, England: called 'L Passo'

Restaurant in Belfast called: 'Thai Tanic'.

Teddy bear shop in Penge, England called: 'Bearly Trading'.

Humorous Names of Pubs:

Nobody Inn - Doddiscombsleigh, Devon

The Quiet Woman - York [The sign being a woman carrying her own severed head]

The Fawcett Inn - Portsmouth, Hampshire

A Real Life Surname Dilemma

I got married 2 weeks ago and I can't decide on a surname. My surname is Pegg and my husband's surname is Legg.

We have 4 children between us (two Pegg's and two Legg's) and because we dont want to change their names, we were thinking about hyphenating ours to Pegg-Legg. Only problem is that we can't say it with a straight face.

K.

Keith at Tregenna
24th March 2012, 05:36 PM
Cycle paths: Attached

k.

Red Lead Ted
11th September 2012, 04:07 PM
This actually went out on air i still get a buzz of it today :rollinglaugh::rollinglaugh::rollinglaugh:

the chase itv1 bradley walsh cant stop laughing during the Fanny Chmelar question (17/10/11) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmwGFX5pgXw)

Trebor
11th September 2012, 06:58 PM
Here is a shop we saw when in Kuala Lumpur a few years ago:

Tony Morcom
11th September 2012, 09:20 PM
This is really strange but I might have been in your class...unless there were two guys in Canada at the same time with the same name and description... Was this by any chance in Toronto?

Welcome to the site Juliana :grouphug: Now wouldn't that be a coincidence if you and Jacyn were actually in the same class at school. In case she misses your post why don't you send her an email. You can do so via our site link HERE (http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=3702)

Ivan Cloherty
11th September 2012, 10:02 PM
Be proud........ Jacyn ...........is a lovely name. I know a lovely woman called Charlie, better to be looked at because of your name, rather than overlooked. The lads on here think its a great name.

Jacyn Wade
12th September 2012, 02:47 PM
Bless you, Ivan. My mother found the name in an old book. Apparently it is the name of an old French princess. When I was born, she tells me, the registrar appeared within a few days requesting a name. I suppose as she was hoping for a boy (can't imagine why, ha ha), she hadn't thought of any girl's names but liked the name from the book, so Jacyn I became. Alas, not even a middle name to compensate - but I use Elizabeth as it was my grandmother's middle name as well as the name of our beloved monarch.

John Albert Evans
12th September 2012, 03:16 PM
When I was at school our German teacher was called Mr.Cutts.....Herr Cutts.

John

Tony Morcom
12th September 2012, 05:12 PM
I use Elizabeth as it was my grandmother's middle name My daughter's middle name is also Elizabeth. We couldn't decide what to call her so we opted for her two Great Grandmother's names ~ Amelia and Elizabeth.

(Did you see post #26 by Julianna?)

Jacyn Wade
12th September 2012, 05:49 PM
Lovely, lovely names Tony. To my way of thinking, you can never go wrong with Elizabeth. Having said that, my daughter's name is Sheelagh Gabrielle but that's only because I decided not to name her after anyone in the family. Turns out I have two distant cousins named Sheila - who knew?

Yes, thanks, I did see Juliana's post and she has emailed me. Very strange - what a small world it is after all.

john sutton
12th September 2012, 07:47 PM
Haka Farewell

Flashback Video:

Norwegian Military

Keith at Tregenna
12th September 2012, 07:48 PM
Quick look in, have not double checked if I mentioned Theresa Green ?

K.

Steve Williams
12th December 2016, 02:59 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I well remember from my company's regular "slave sheets" a chief officer prone to sea-sickness called S.P. Ewing, and a cadet with the most embarrassing name ever, M. Barrass!

David Williams
12th December 2016, 08:07 PM
I knew a chap in Tenby by the surname of Bowler.
He had a son who was named Thomas.This was
shortened to Tom, who then became known as
Tom Bowler and was then nicknamed as BINGO.
Dave Williams

Keith at Tregenna
13th December 2016, 12:06 AM

j.sabourn
13th December 2016, 12:13 AM
A person I see frequently is called Davey Jones and that is his real name, went to sea as an electrician many moons ago. Looks like him as well with a long white beard. JS

Keith at Tregenna
13th December 2016, 12:29 AM
Titles to make you titter

Funniest rude place names in the UK: Austria may have the village of Fucking, but we have Bell End, Felch Square, Crotch Crescent and more - Mirror Online (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/funniest-rude-place-names-in-the-uk-799573)

Red Lead Ted
13th December 2016, 11:25 PM
This one brought a tear to my eye in laughter. :LolLolLolLol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b28_wgzR34Y