PDA

View Full Version : Young Jim

jenny
22nd December 2011, 07:56 PM
It is with heavy heart and a great sence of loss that I have to inform those of you who knew our Jim that sadly he has passed away. After a bad fall on black ice and a hit on the head....Those of us who loved him and welcomed his great banter are going to miss him dearly...rest in peace you wonderful friend we love you xxxxxxx

Keith at Tregenna
22nd December 2011, 08:04 PM
"Crossing the Bar"

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

Crossing the Bar by Alfred Lord Tennyson:

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcTyIaYLQqo

Respects:

Keith.

Doc Vernon
22nd December 2011, 08:35 PM
Hello Jenny
Well this is indeed a great shock to us all i am sure,and may i convey my sincere Condolences to his Family and Friends on his passing!
I wont go too much into this,but as a few here knew Young Jim and i had a few differences over the past Year,but thankfully in just the past Month or so,he and i had made things right between us,and for this i am truly thankfull,as he said to me in his one Email,life is too short,how true that is!
So Young Jim,i raise my Hat to you and wish you happy sailing to places that you once so loved,may your final journey be one of happiness and complete peace!
With all Sincerity

Farewell old mate!
Doc Vernon

This is an Email i received from Young Jim only about two Weeks ago!

----- Original Message -----

To: undisclosed recipients: (undisclosed%20recipients:)
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2011 2:49 AM
Subject: Re: Merry Xmas to you and yours!

Hi Vernon
Please excuse delay in replying as you can imagine busy time of the year plus atrocious weather and I am back at school brushing up on language.

Thank you for your good wishes may I hope that you and yours ,plus the addition of a your new grandson, have a good old traditional family Christmas and a peaceful New Year
With best wishes
Jim

Glan Phillips
22nd December 2011, 08:53 PM
It is always sad when we lose one of our shipmates, my sincere sympathy and condolences to Jim's family and friends, may he R.I.P.........fair winds and calm seas from now on.

Glan

Chris Allman
22nd December 2011, 08:58 PM
I echo Glan's words, my sincere condolences to Jim's family.

Chris

Jim Brady
22nd December 2011, 09:10 PM
Young Jim one of lifes character's may he REST IN PEACE.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Captain Kong
22nd December 2011, 09:59 PM
So Sad, I never knew `Young Jim` but the loss of a good Seaman is a loss to the world.
My condolances to Jenny and her family at this sad time and so near to Christmas too.
Brian

jenny
22nd December 2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks Brian but he wasnt family of mine but I did regard him as such. He brightened my life with his wonderful letters to me, his humour for a man of his age was wonderful. It was a privilage to be classed as one of his friends.

Tiger1
22nd December 2011, 11:12 PM
Jenny, I too feel the same as You about Young Jim as he was known, really 81 years old, but young on his outlook on life, his favourite saying was 'Enjoy life as you only get one Chance and that is so True.
His banter gave us many happy moments. Like you Jenny, I felt very privileged to have him as a Friend.
Jim you can now sail those seas you loved so much, R.I.P. you will be really missed.
Much Love and God Bless You xxxxxx
Jean

happy daze john in oz
23rd December 2011, 05:31 AM
It is sad to see any member of the family of the sea cross the bar. I know he and Doc had their differences, but that is life, he was at the end of the day still one of us.
My condolences to his family, may he forever now sail on calm waters.

George
23rd December 2011, 08:22 AM
I am very sad to read that young Jim has Crossed the Bar, and my thoughts and Prayers go out to his family RIP Young Jim
George

Tiger1
23rd December 2011, 09:46 AM
Good Morning Lads and Lasses,

Thank you for all your lovely posts on here to Young Jim's Family.
When I am talking to his Son Keith; who used to go to Towe Hill each year with him;
I will pass on your condolences to Jim's wife Marlene and the rest of the Family.

I wonder if he will visit Pitcairn Island on his travels? We had some good banter of him hiding from Me under a Big rock there, Happy Days!
Thank you again .
I hope you all enjoy a Merry Christmas and A Guid New Year.
Fondest Love and God Bless You All.
Jeanxx

Roger Dyer
23rd December 2011, 10:52 AM
Dear Jenny and Jean,

Please be aware that I am saddened and shocked to learn of Young Jim's passing and would ask you both to accept my sincere condolences for your loss of a good and dear friend. Apart from one or two amicable exchanges I had little direct contact with Jim and never really got to know him. I did, of course, read many of his posts on this site and although I sometimes found I held a different view to him and as a result of that, posted accordingly, I sensed that, when not upset, he was a decent and kindly man. No matter what, as John (Happy Daze) reminds us, Young Jim was one of us, a brother, whose passing is surely regarded with sadness and respect by us all.

Jean, if you are able to, please extend my deepest sympathy to Jim's wife and family at this sad time.

...............Roger

Albert Bishop
23rd December 2011, 11:05 AM
Very, very sorry to hear that Jenny. He will be missed. Sincere condolences to the family. Albi.

alf corbyn
23rd December 2011, 11:50 AM
hi jenny. its very sad to hear of yet another old sailor crossing the bar, and what an unfortunate way to go. i join the others on site in sending my condolances to his family, and i'm sure he will be remembered by all. alf

Tony Morcom
23rd December 2011, 12:03 PM
Always sad when one of our own departs to join that great crew sailing on the other side. Especially poignant considering the time of year and circumstances. RIP Young Jim and sincere condolences to all who knew him.

Gulliver
23rd December 2011, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE=Roger DYER;76851]Dear Jenny and Jean,

My Exact Sentiments in every line, Roger.

Farewell Young Jim, safely now in harbour.

Gulliver

Tiger1
27th December 2011, 05:51 PM
Hi Lads and Jenny,

I spoke to Keith Ji m's son on Friday during my train jouney to My Sons.
I passed on all your condolences on hearing the sad news; to himself, his Mother and All the Family.
I told him our thoughts and prayers were with them all at this sad time.
Keith sends his 'Thanks' to you all.
I am sure Young Jim wherever he has harboured; sends his 'Good Wishes and Thanks to You All'

His Banter and Information on so many Items. gave me an interest in
things I had forgotten but now have picked up on once again, for which I am grateful.

Take care all of you and be good to one another as we only get one chance,

May I take this oportunity to wish you all A Healthy and Happy 2012.
Will raise a 'wee dram' to all of You and your families.
Love and God Bless
Jean xxxxxxxxxx

jenny
28th December 2011, 03:55 AM
I am so pleased that you have made contact with Jim's family Jean, thanks so much for the information.
I am still coming to grips with it and have been drowning my sorrows over the last few days. I raised my glass of Appletons (cant get 4 bells ) to him and am feeling so sorry for myself. It is quite some time since I had a 'tipple' and it doesnt sit well I can tell you.There was so much I wanted to write at the time, to tell him things I had forgotten to say while he was here...never leave it till it is too late.
I was waiting to win the lotto and the joke was , we were going to do some 'grass flattening'...in our dreams Jim lad.There is just one thing I want to say and then be barred for life...********..HAAAAA, there my darling....got it in

Roger Dyer
28th December 2011, 08:05 AM
Dear Jenny,

Having recently lost an old and true friend, your expression of loss and sadness in post #19 resonates with me and I think I know a little of the 'emptiness' you are feeling at the present time.

Unless I have badly misjudged the character of Brian ( site Administrator) I think it unlikely that the sentiment and humour contained in the last sentence of your post could possibly result in your expulsion from this site. Young Jim would have certainly appreciated the poignant wit in your choice of words and 'asterisks'..........I know I did, as, I'm sure, will others. Cheer up, lass.

.............Roger.

jenny
28th December 2011, 08:35 AM
Many thanks for your kind words Roger and to know that you understand how I am feeling. By the way, the asteriks werent mine....the censor got to my letter.I had mentioned the 'un-mentionable' word.haaaaaa

Roger Dyer
28th December 2011, 11:52 AM
Hello again Jenny,

Oh! dear me, and there was I thinking that the asterisks were yours and that you were simply making subtle, witty, comment supportive of Jim's views on political correctness.:) Still, no real harm done, Jenny.
Grief and sadness can express itself in many ways. Sometimes we become withdrawn, whilst at other times we might feel angry or seek to apportion blame for our loss. You wanted to show your support for the views that Jim held, which I think is understandable. Although the censor has done what he feels he must, I imagine that, like me, he recognises that your use of that word, blatant though it may seem, was simply an action born of sadness for the loss of a dear friend and not an attempt to regenerate debate on a subject best left in the past.

................best wishes for 2012, Roger

Scully
29th December 2011, 07:19 PM
Just received a text letting me know the sad news about Jim.
Jim it was a pleasure & an experience meeting you in Liverpool & getting to hear all your tales of your time at sea & smiling at your flirting. I'm sorry we didn't get the chance to meet again but so glad we kept in touch. I will miss your flirting, your sense of humour & your tales of your time at sea. I'll bet you will be flirting with the Angels:)

Sincere condolences to Jim's wife, sons & grandchildren & his many friends.

Lots of love,

Tracey.R59268HSODxxxx

Tiger1
5th January 2012, 10:23 AM
Good Morning Lads and Lasses,

First may I wish you all a Very Healthy and Happy New Year from here in Stormy Yorkshire.

I passed all your good wishes to Jim's Son Keith and the family.

Keith sent me a text telling Me that Jim's Funeral is on Monday, 9th January at 11-15a.m.
in Manchester.
It is lovely Young Jim is going back to the City where he was born.
My thoughts and prayers will be be with you Young Jim my lovely friend.
May you sail the seas you loved so much when you were just starting out on Life. Happy Days.:thumb_ship2:

Have a Good Year Lads and enjoy every minute as we only get once chance in this Life.
Love and Hugs
Tiger Jean xxx