PDA

View Full Version : Masters FG Certificate of Competency

David Howden
21st December 2011, 11:46 PM
Having fallen on hard times I will shortly be posting my Masters FG Ticket, my Discharge Book and Seaman's Identity Card on Ebay with a view to raising some much needed cash.

If any readers would be interested in purchasing these items before hand please email me at:

davehowden123@gmail.com

Des Taff Jenkins
22nd December 2011, 03:20 AM
Hi David.
That's a sad thing to hear at anytime but at Xmas even sadder, as we get older and our rescourses get lower we try many things to lessen the hardship. Like you we are struggling to keep up; even the cost of buying time on the net becomes tougher.
I wish you luck in your endevours to get some recompense for all those years at sea.:thumb_ship2:
Cheers Des.

Doc Vernon
22nd December 2011, 04:17 AM
Hi David
Yes as said it is very sad to hear of your plight ,and i to hope that you will get something good for the Years at Sea,it certainly is not an easy thing to part with such memoribilia,and only wish that there may be something else of Value that you could perhaps put up for sale!
Just take a minute to think of what you are about to part with (no doubt you allready have) but take another wee bit of time out first!
I wish you well.
And also hope that you may have a Merry Xmas and a good New Year in 2012
Cheers and take care!

happy daze john in oz
22nd December 2011, 05:13 AM
It has often been said that the quality of a country can be determined by the manner in which they treat their senior citizens. From some of the commenst it would appear that there is a number of countries who do not give a dam about their senior citizens.

corrientes
22nd December 2011, 05:59 AM
As the others said - very sad. I hope what you get for them on ebay is worth their loss to you. Have you looked at the possibility of raising cash on them through a pawnbroker. You may get as much there if the broker understands what these things mean to a seafarer, and then you could later possibly retrieve them later as and when your situation improves. Which I sincerely trust it will. All the best to you and, if I may, wish you all good wishes and all you hope for in the new year.

Capt Bill Davies
22nd December 2011, 08:27 AM
David,

Under no circumstances should you part with your certificate as I feel you will regret it in the long term. You have a piece of history so valuable to you few outside the industry will understand.

I have several younger friends who parted with their certificate when STCW/renewal raised its head. The real Master's (FG) had one of the corners clipped off and this thing STCW Class 1 was issued to them. They were mortified and rightly so. Hold on at all costs it will be a talking point with the the Grandchildren. I only held my British Masters (FG) for a very short period but it was copied and a Liberian Masters issued on the strength of it. A very proud moment all the same.

Brgds

Bill

Gulliver
22nd December 2011, 08:51 AM
Very Sad to hear that David.
Sorry that your idyllic retirement in Thailand is turning sour.
I feel sure your extended family over there will really appreciate what you are doing for them.........

I wish You All the Very Best for Christmas and the New Year !

Gulliver

Captain Kong
22nd December 2011, 09:29 AM
Is there not a possibility that someone could buy them, clone them and then they would be sold many times over on the black market and then all kinds of people could have a MFG CERT. and go away to sea with it.
Just a thought.
OR you could could come back to the UK and get all kinds of benefits, a State Pension, MNOPFF pension and a house etc. and be better off?

captain gordon whittaker
22nd December 2011, 09:32 AM
Under no circumstances should anyone part with these irreplaceable documents. They are so easy to copy and doctor with a new identity which would mean some unqualified person let loose on a Ship's Bridge with the inevitable dire consequences. I am tempted to call for a "Tarpaulin Muster" to avoid this drastic action. I am donating my documents to the local Time & Tide Museum for future generations to see what we strove to earn in the glory years of British shipping.

Gulliver
22nd December 2011, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE=Captain Kong;76757]Is there not a possibility that someone could buy them,

Too right Brian.As I have hinted at in my last post, and I don't want to offend David,but I hope they haven't already fallen into grasping hands in Thailand?.....

Gulliver

John Pruden
22nd December 2011, 04:27 PM
[QUOTE=Capt Bill Davies;76753]David,Under no circumstances should you part with your certificate as I feel you will regret it in the long term.

David we all fall on hard times but don't sell your life's work you will regret it and i don't think you would get very much for them on the likes of e.bay don't do it lad.john

Ivan Cloherty
22nd December 2011, 05:29 PM
David

We all sympathise with your plight, but the consensus of opinion is that come hell or high water you should retain your ticket. Try and impress upon your children/grandchildren what esteem this certificate was (and is) held in. What privitations and hard work went into gaining this certificate, they did not give them away and neither should you. We of course are not privy to your current circumstances and nor should we be. We all think that once you've parted with it, it may be the biggest regret of your life.

As mentioned we are not aware of your current circumstances but this certifcate shows that you had reached the pinnacle of your chosen profession which is something you can always be proud of, rather than sell it, frame it. Let them know that it let you take command of any ship at any time at any place in the world and not many people can say that.

We all wish you luck whichever path you may choose, only you can set the course

Graham Payne
22nd December 2011, 05:51 PM
My sincere apologies if I am wrong, but in my humble opinion this post STINKS
I refer to a post on 29th July 2011 on the forum ( For sale wanted or exchange ) by this person :confused:
It seems he wanted to Purchase such certificates that he now wants to sell :rolleyes:

Chris Isaac
22nd December 2011, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=Graham Payne;76783]My sincere apologies if I am wrong, but in my humble opini

on this post STINKS

Well, well, well, I have read that post.
Don't know if we should sympathise or have you flogged!

It will at least make for an interesting post and heaven knows this site needs some lively activity!

I have got my Master FG Certificate and you can't have it.......... much too valuable.
I don't want someone elses.

Ivan Cloherty
22nd December 2011, 09:00 PM
Graham

Thank you for drawing this to our attention, like a lot I do not trawl through past posts, but I'm glad someone does. Something must have struck a chord with you to investigate further.

Perhaps David could could give us the TRUE facts of the situation, as we on this site tend to trust each other, because in the past our lives depended upon trust.

Over to you David

Captain Kong
22nd December 2011, 09:21 PM
David Howden
Member Join Date: Jul 2011

Discharge Books & Certificates of Competancy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am interested in purchasing MN memorabilia, specifically Discharge Books and Certificates of Competancy for my collection.

If you any such items for sale please contact me at
dave-howden@live.co.uk
Thanks
Dave R699215

I was feeling sorry for this guy, Is he for real ????
First he wants to collect other MASTERS FG Certs, now he wants to sell his own.
What is he , some kinda Nut? or does he think we are Nuts.
Come Clean Dave.
Whats it all about.
He wasnt short of money when he wanted to buy.
I wonder if that discharge book number, R699215 is his or is it from someone elses Discharge book that he has bought.
Cheers
Brian.

Doc Vernon
22nd December 2011, 09:36 PM
Well this is rather a bit of a Kick in the Teeth if what is said on here is correct!
I will however hold back any other remarks for a while to see what explanation comes about from David H.
He may have a good reason for this,well lets hope so,but if not then i for one will be removing my Post regarding feeling sorry for him etc!
As said we here are a bunch of Lads who have trust in one another,and something like this is definately not the way we act!
So David i hope that you will come to your own rescue on this.
Just Yesterday i read the post by David and all the replies to my Wife,and She had suggested that we all get together as a band of Brothers to assist him in some way!??
It is a good thing that i didnt post that suggestion! But
Time will tell!???

Cheers

PS Seems it is his Discharge Book Capt !!

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=7&CATID=-3631008&SearchInit=4&SearchType=6&CATREF=R699215

Chris Allman
22nd December 2011, 09:46 PM
A complete betrayal of trust if any misleading intentions are meant. Its disgraceful playing on people who have a great regard for their fellow seamen, especially when in trouble. I await with interest the result.

Chris

John Pruden
22nd December 2011, 10:32 PM
lets hope we get an honest answer to a honest question all my life no matter what my situation i have always had two things that have never failed me my honesty and my integrity i hope they are not a thing of the past lets hope we get an understandable answer until then gentlemen i would reserve judgements? just my view. john

Captain Kong
22nd December 2011, 10:34 PM
If I am wrong, which I hope I am, then I will apologise.
Cheers
Brian.

Doc Vernon
23rd December 2011, 01:11 AM
I too will follow suit and Apologise if incorrect,but as yet i really havent made any judgement on this!
Cheers

happy daze john in oz
23rd December 2011, 05:27 AM
This is indeed an odd situation, which makes me wonder if this person is into making up new identities for others? Thankfully Grahme has a good memeory and recalls the aerlier post. It goes to show just how easily we can all be drawn in when the time comes.

robpage
23rd December 2011, 09:35 AM
I remembered the July post , because of the reference to Chaing MAi which I had assumed to be a Thai Jail , but because it is Christmas I applied the benefit of doubt , and sympathised . should I order a tee shirt that says Gullible ? because having re read the July thread , something stinks here .

We are all getting soft hearted ,

Graham Payne
23rd December 2011, 10:13 AM
I echo Captain Kongs last statement and will do likewise unreservedly.

Tony Morcom
23rd December 2011, 12:13 PM
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb:Wassit-About:

captain gordon whittaker
23rd December 2011, 01:46 PM
Belay the "Tatpaulin Muster", get ready the "Rope's End"!

Chris Allman
23rd December 2011, 04:38 PM
The silence is deafening :eyes:

Chris

John Cassels
23rd December 2011, 06:48 PM
Master's FG circa 1973 ; very nice as an old memory but means nothing these days.

Ivan Cloherty
23rd December 2011, 07:22 PM
John, you can be assured that it means a lot to those on this site, irrespective of department, as we all realise what hard work that went into achieving it.

happy daze john in oz
24th December 2011, 06:32 AM
Just so long as we do not get soft headed.

John Pruden
24th December 2011, 08:17 AM
does anybody want to buy a marriage certificate{licence} the only thing it comes with a wife:eek:.john

Chris Isaac
24th December 2011, 08:44 AM
John
I have got three of those:
1. A British one in 1972 from marrying my first wife (from Rhodesia, she was a passenger on Pendennis Castle)
2. A Rhodesian one in 1979 from marrying my second wife (also from Rhodesia)
3. A Kenyan one in 1989 from marrying my third wife (British and still valid).

John Pruden
24th December 2011, 09:55 AM
CHRIS its that time for change then?????:D

Chris Isaac
24th December 2011, 10:20 AM
Something about either buying a book or joining a library springs to mind.
I kept buying the book!

John Pruden
24th December 2011, 11:07 AM
you should have DASHED INSTEAD OF DOTTED chris:eek:

j.sabourn
25th December 2011, 01:08 AM
I would like to know what sort of value these would have to anyone. I know that forgeries were quite easy to get in H.K. and other places in the world a few years ago. The only way to to prove authentic was by the number on the certificate and the person it was issued to traced via the then B.O.T. There is more than likely a few of these forgeries still floating around. I fail to see what attraction this certificate would have to anyone it was not issued to. Regards John Sabourn.

happy daze john in oz
26th December 2011, 01:46 AM
does anybody want to buy a marriage certificate{licence} the only thing it comes with a wife:eek:.john

John mate I doubt you could even get a bid in E bay!

John Pruden
26th December 2011, 10:31 AM
john she's not to bad its all those years frightening police dogs it's took its toll on her:D

Tony Wilding
26th December 2011, 08:47 PM
hi, i have 2 marriage certificates, first one uk, engagement cancelled, second trinidad indian, jumped ship on that one, one pending, strictly BOT this time filipina, should have met her first. a real honey.:th_thth5952deef: