PDA

View Full Version : Google maps,

Captain Kong
11th November 2011, 09:27 AM
Last night I was on google maps, I had an old Aunt, who died 11 months ago today in Manchester, aged 102
I decided to look on google satelite to see if the house was for sale yet.
I got the address and zoomed in at street level. and could see her through the window with great clarity.
Now I wondered how far these google map things can go, can they monitor who is doing what in a house?
I could have been going into the young divorcees house in the next avenue when the google man is passing and then the long haired one would see it and then I am in the doo da.
Has anyone else found someone they know on satelite?
Here she is,
. When she was 100, she got a card off the Queen and then when she was 101 she got another card off the Queen, she was not impressed, she said `The Queen has the same frock on, you would think she would have changed it.`

Roger Dyer
11th November 2011, 11:34 AM
Hi Brian(Kong),

You raise an interesting point. I confess that living far away here in Oz I get much pleasure from googling (street level) in old familiar places in the U.K., just to see how things have changed over the years - sometimes they're unrecognisable at other times it's as if time has stood still. Recently whilst googling the home of a friend I was very surprised that I was able to read the No.plate of his vehicle quite clearly. Every other time I google at street level the No.plates of all vehicles have been erased. I wonder if this is a one-off or whether other shipmates have come across faults such as this....as you say, it could be embarrassing.

........................regards, Roger.

Captain Kong
11th November 2011, 12:25 PM
Yes it could be if it is parked outside the wrong house and She happens to see it.
Cheers
Brian.

Mike Hall
11th November 2011, 03:07 PM
on a serious note.i have had a look on google earth like you said brian
most of the car number plates are blanked out.
i did go onto it where my sister lives and there was a car there that
i could see the number plate quite clearly:confused:
mike:cool:

Albert Bishop
11th November 2011, 03:14 PM
Maybe the ones with numberplates showing parked after the camera van came through, (ok, I'll get me coat) Albi

happy daze john in oz
12th November 2011, 05:18 AM
I am not sure what goes on here. I was on the road one day when the Google Maps acr went past, but when I look in on any of the maps in my area there are never any people opn the street and all car numbers balnked out. But I know by my garden that the latest is at least two years old.

Captain Kong
12th November 2011, 09:38 AM
It can be a bad thing.
I live by a small lake, has ducks on it, been here for 48 years. I am insuring my house and contents. The lady on the Insurance Compnay phone, says "Are you within 400 meters of water, " I says "No 1 thinking of flooding rivers and tsunamis, she syas "What is that lake alongside your house?" `That is a duck pond`, I says , She says "That is water so your Premium will go up by 100 " I says `How do you know` She says "I have your house no google so you have to pay up"
These people have you monitiored, there is now no escape from the Eyeballs in the sky.
Cheers
and looking over my shoulder with a hood on.
Brian.

Doc Vernon
12th November 2011, 09:46 AM
Hello Capt
I was looking at some of the old places we have lived in both here in Ausiie,and the UK and South Africa.and although all the addresses cane up,and showed the old House etc,i cannot get it to Zoom in as much as you do!
Is there a trick to getting in really close,as when i try and Zoom in all i get then is a Blank page?
Cheers

But its very interesting all the same,me and the Wife have just loked at the House in SA when we met and got married!

Albert Bishop
12th November 2011, 01:25 PM
Not everywhere is yet covered by the street view Vern No doubt all will eventualy Albi

Keith Tindell
12th November 2011, 02:10 PM
Hi, Another department who use google are the planning departments, so they can zoom in on illegal sheds porches etc, big brother is here, Keith Tindell

Chris Allman
12th November 2011, 02:52 PM
Eyeballs in the sky

Now that brings back memories of the PERISHERS cartoon strip in the Mirror. When they went on holiday to the coast and the dog Boot used to look in the rock pool. The crabs in the rock pool used to refer to him as the eyeballs in the sky absolutely brilliant.

Some of the crabs believe that Boot's eyes peering down at them are a mystical visitation - "The Eyeballs in the Sky" - and this belief is exploited by a preacher crab who used their appearance as an excuse to extort money from his congregation. His efforts werer always opposed by a scientist crab who continually attempts to invent a device to break through the surface and see what the Eyeballs really are, despite the preacher's protests that he will rend the fabric of the pooliverse. The conflict usually ended up in a full-scale crab fight, and Boot is left none the wiser as to crab behaviour. Usually, one of the crabs claims that something is "bad fer y'r 'ealth".

Does anyone else remember them the cartoon ones I mean :D

Chris.

Colin Hawken
12th November 2011, 03:20 PM
Those of you who have read George Orwell's book 1984,will know what is going on. Those of you who haven't,really should read it.The only thing he got wrong was the date. Some of the things thappen today even he couldn't have imagined. I only use google if I have too. There are other search engines.

Willie Saunders
12th November 2011, 05:03 PM
Wish I had known that my house was going to be photographed from the sky, I would have spread a large light blue lorry tarp on the back lawn, then when the council snoops came round looking for the swimming pool,and found only grass, the fun would have been great !!

Albert Bishop
12th November 2011, 06:12 PM
Who can forget the Perishers and Boot , I loved them, Don't know if they are still going Albi.

Tony Morcom
12th November 2011, 11:32 PM
Just found this Chris: The Perishers (http://www.theauthenticperishers.co.uk)

Chris Allman
12th November 2011, 11:37 PM
Brilliant Tony thank you.

Chris

Captain Kong
13th November 2011, 10:13 AM
Fantastic Tony,
EYEBALLS IN THE SKY.
Just had a good laugh, good start to the day.
Cheers
Brian

Red Lead Ted
13th November 2011, 06:59 PM
This replaced the police force helicopter on merseyside {BRILLIANT IDEA} :D:D:D Terry.

BBC News - Police drone crashes into River Mersey (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-15520279)