PDA

View Full Version : Smoking advice "Help Needed"

Pages : [1] 2

Graham Payne
7th September 2011, 03:51 PM
Ok, I smoke 30 a day bad I know but I ain't a bad person just addicted to Fags. The weather here is bloody awful and "managment" wants a couple of weeks sunshine in Menorca, this means a 2 hr wait at Gatwick Airport plus a 2r 30min flight & 1 hr wait for baggage = 5 & 1/2 hrs without a fag ARGHH. Any advice from other smokers how they would cope with this much appreciated. :o
Without the obvious "Give it up" :mad: TA

Captain Kong
7th September 2011, 04:31 PM
Hi Graham,
I am going to give you advice you dont want.
Please, please Give It Up.
In the last two years I have watched at their homes the misery, pain and suffering that goes with smoking.
Three very close friends have died the most horrible deaths, screaming in a pain from a Cancer that cannot be controlled even with Morphine fed directly into the arteries.
These were big men reduced to tiny skeletons all within 12 months of being seemingly fit and healthy.
I carried the coffins, Pall Bearer.
Their wives and children have still not come to terms with their untimely deaths. The ones you leave behind suffer greatly and never recover. I go to see them and there is a deathly silence in all their homes, an empty space that will never be filled again. If you really loved your family you would think of how they would be if it happened to you.
I used to smoke 60 a day, FEAR MADE ME GIVE IT UP. that is the only way to stop smoking, FEAR.!
Sorry about the hard lesson, Graham, just think about it.
I hope this advice will save your life.
All the best
Brian.

Ivan Cloherty
7th September 2011, 04:40 PM
Ok, I smoke 30 a day bad I know but I ain't a bad person just addicted to Fags. The weather here is bloody awful and "managment" wants a couple of weeks sunshine in Menorca, this means a 2 hr wait at Gatwick Airport plus a 2r 30min flight & 1 hr wait for baggage = 5 & 1/2 hrs without a fag ARGHH. Any advice from other smokers how they would cope with this much appreciated. :o

Graham

Can only echo Kong's advice, give it up, I have never smoked, but lost my first wife aged 50 to passive smoke, died from cancer in both lungs and the liver she didn't smoke or drink, but the smokers made sure she didn't survive, so for the sake of your family, suffer the withdrawal symptons for some time, we know its not going to be easy, but do it for your family. Only other solution is to get too drunk to fly then enjoy your cigarettes later, but you of course might be on your own for a very long time! or in hospital from severe fractures from an ash tray!

Louis the Amigo
7th September 2011, 05:30 PM
hi shipmate, I gave it up!!! as we were all heavy smokers at sea up to 70 a day the proper stuff from tins sometimes i can still smell them wonderful !!! The stuff they smoke today is factory sweeping s and if you buy them cheap from china they could be anything? So as Captain Kong and Ivan said the best thing to do give up the weed or it will get you in the end, I have a few horror tales to tell, but I hope you will heed our warnings and dont let yourself become one? You can beat the addition to nicotine, with help from the stop smoking programs every where and support from your family and all your friends you will beat it.{ Good Luck shipmate}:D

Bill Cameron
7th September 2011, 06:08 PM
good advice "Give it up" I used to smoke 100grms of Old Holburn a week & used 4 packets of ciggy papers, I had to go to my doc for pains in my legs. his advice "Stop smoking and you will keep walking". I went on the patches, and said to my Mrs, I am going to buy myself a Computer to help me, she said ok......but start smoking again and you can pick a window,( I live in a second floor maisonette flat) and your Computer will go out that window and you after it. Been stopped 11 years now

Chris Allman
7th September 2011, 06:21 PM
Give it up Graham, I smoked for 46 years and I gave it up. You owe it to your family, you really do. You will feel great once you give up plus you will have more money in your pocket to enjoy your new life.

Chris.

Pete Leonard (Bruno)
7th September 2011, 06:39 PM
I have every sympathy for anyone trying to give up smoking. I smoked 20-30 a day for around 50 years and gave up whilst on holiday at the age of 65. I had developed a lung infection on the plane out and was plagued with a hacking cough. I would sit on my balcony smoking and coughing and all my friends (all non smokers) would walk past and ask how I was today. Then it suddenly occured to me that they must think I am a right prat sitting there coughing my lungs up and still smoking. I gave up there and then even though the fags were cheap. Fast forward nine years and I developed another lung infection on holiday. This time my GP could not cure it with antibiotics so she sent me for an xray which showed a tumour the size of a tennis ball. It was removed by surgery followed by chemotherapy. Fast forward another 3 years and after a routine x ray I was informed that I had cancer in my other lung. This was small cell cancer which is much more aggresive. Anyway as it was in its early stages they reckoned that they could get rid of it with chemo and radiotherapy. I am in the middle of the radiotherapy treatment right now.
I am not looking for sympathy, because I consider that my illness was self inflicted. I just wish that I had seen the light earlier, I may have had a better chance of avoiding it. I know that a great many members of this site have got to the age when advice is shrugged off, but I just hope there are a few of the younger ones who might take heed. I was lucky because I was diagnosed early. Mind you I still don't know if I am out of the woods yet.
Pete

Ivan Cloherty
7th September 2011, 06:52 PM
Mind you I still don't know if I am out of the woods yet.[/B]
Pete

Well Pete you know your friends on this site would willingly lead you out of the wood and we are all rooting (pardon the pun) for you.

Capt Bill Davies
7th September 2011, 07:33 PM
Graham,

I cannot add anything to the good advice given by all above. I will say that I too have lost many friends to Lung Cancer and it is not a nice sight to see them go that way. Give it up!!

Brgds

Uncle Bill

John Albert Evans
7th September 2011, 08:08 PM
Graham,

There is only ONE thing for you to do and that is STOP.

I was a heavy smoker 20/40 a day and in 1970 my wife (also a smoker) and I had a talk and worked out how much it cost us and it was really too much.

We both went to accupunture which cost £8.00 each and from that day to this neither of us has smoked a cigarette.

Try it, try anything Graham to stop. It really is bad for your health.

John Albert Evans.

PS I know its not the advice you want to hear sorry.

John Callon
7th September 2011, 08:41 PM
I can only repeat what everyone else has said Graham. I packed up almost 3 years ago now. I was also told by the Doctor that if I did not pack the cigarettes in I would lose my leg. That was enough for me stopped smoking there and then. My Doctor prescribed a course of tablets called, I think, Champers or something like that. Your GP will know the correct name. They really are good - stops a lot of the craving for nicotine etc. much better than the patches. Give it some thought.
Regards,
John

Captain Kong
7th September 2011, 10:28 PM
The amputation of legs in smokers is very common. Smoking causes hardening of the arteries and then gangarene sets in so the legs have to be cut off to save the life of the victim.

Also the cancer spreads from the lungs to the brain with inoperable tumours.
A company doctor said to me once at a medical, After asking if I smoked I said yes, He said, do you know , you are one of the bravest men I know, You live a life of Danger, you risk your life every day, what a brave man you are..... and Stupid.
Then the cruel death.
Think about it. there is no escape.

Doc Vernon
7th September 2011, 10:51 PM
Hi Graham
As with all the answers given,i too agree wholeheartedly with them all!
Its a hard task i know but with will power and determination it can be done , i was lucky to give it up in my early Twenties!
When in the Merc as you know it was too easy and cheap to get those Coffin Nails! Ten Bob for 200 Gees! No wonder so many took it up!

The Wife too gave it up after finding out that she had the start of the dreded Emphesemia (is that correct spelling) and after also seeing some good Friends go that way,it was a Godsend to see her stop!
So to at least to try and answer you,why not just try and Chew some Gum on your wait,it may just help take that craving away! There is i think a Gum that has a sort of Anti Smoke Craving in it!??
Another is to buy some Smoke pathes for you trip,put them on and with a little will power i am sure you can overcome all this!
Sincerly hope that you will find a way to STOP completely!
Good Luck and enjoy your trip!
Cheers

John Callon
7th September 2011, 11:08 PM
Thats what the Doctor told me Brian re hardening of the arteries. He had a hellof a job trying to find a pulse in my leg, when he did it was very weak. He then slapped my leg and said in 12 months time this would come off followed shortly by the other one. To say I was scared shitlless is an understatement!! Now I can't stand the smell of the things nor the smell of tobacco on peoples breath. And to be honest it was'nt all that difficult to pack in. Loads of willpower and the will to succeed.
Regards
John

Keith at Tregenna
7th September 2011, 11:51 PM
Last time I was in hospital, ASAP popped out for a smoke, not knowing the best place ended up in the EMERGENCY ROOM: Smoking area. New rules see non smoking on Hospital Grounds.

My ex's: Gran nearing 90 was asked how many she smoked, her reply was 10 a day at specific times during the day. She enquired to the Doc: Should I attempt to give the up. e told her, Ma'm. Whatever you are doing, do not change a thing. Then both patient and Doc went for a ciggie.

We all are aware, more now than before, that smoking is not the best option 0n the block.

In reply to the original post, listen seriously to all said.

Smoking is not all that was promised then.

I will heed all said.

But, warn all of the far larger dangers of Barbecued food, Cling Film / wrap: Air travel, one flight must equal a thousand ciggie's, no one seems to want address the real dangers. Smokers should be aware, but should also consider the other major contributors, traffic, fuel oil. Aviation etc.

K.

tsell
8th September 2011, 12:28 AM
When I was 12 years old I helped on a milk round. The milkman paid me with a pack of five Woodbines - remember them? I was hooked!
At sea, played poker, table tennis, darts etc., for smokes. In my prime I could easily puff 40 a day.
Last year, 63 years later, I wondered what the hell was I doing to myself??
I the middle of April 2010 I promised myself that I would not have one smoke on May !st. By that day, I had completely convinced myself that I would not weaken.
I then said no smokes tomorrow and so on, one day at a time. Cold turkey - I have never smoked since and now wonder what the hell I saw in polluting myself.
I wasn't easy. In the first week I thought it would be less painful if I cut my toes off than suffer these withdrawals.
Then surprise, after about 8 or 9 days I would forget to think about a smoke! Gradually I felt better and the addiction faded.
Furtunately, in spite of myself I have never had a day's illness in my life - possibly good genes? However having had x-rays last month showing clear lungs and airways( how the hell was that?), my Doctor has told me that there is still the likelihood that I could get lung cancer in the next few years.
I could kill Ronnie Bristow (the milkman), but he probably died years ago - of lung cancer!!

John Pruden
8th September 2011, 05:39 AM
i must admit i do like a smoke i don't drink during my working days if i never stopped for a smoke i would have worked myself to death. my quack asked me{how many do you smoke john} 10 a day and 20 of a night i said:rolleyes:

happy daze john in oz
8th September 2011, 06:11 AM
Graham mate GIVE IT UP BEFORE IT GIVES YOU UP.
Like the rest of us I was avery heavy smoker in my youngerdays, 100 Chesterfields a day at one point. When I swallowed the hook I had to cut down, the price if not the smokes, was killing me. Then in about 1972 I got the flu, only time ever, felt so bad I did not want a smoke for about a week. Decided then that if I could go a week I could give it up, never looked back.
Use the time at the ariport and the flight as a time to adjust to NOT SMOKING, but you will have to go cold turkey if you realy want to give it up.

Des Taff Jenkins
8th September 2011, 07:11 AM
Hi Graham.
Mate NO ONE and I mean NO ONE can get you to pack up smoking. why? because the drug nicotine is so powerfull, only YOU can do it, the more we nag our daughter to stop the more stubborn she gets, I have seen blokes in hospital wheeled out into the open to have a smoke after having their leg off. My wife worked in a big hospital and saw them all dying day in day out, one Welsh bloke came in smiling told her he was in for Xrays, next thing he is being wheeled out in a wheelchair white as a sheet after being told he had cancer of both lungs and unable to walk because of the shock.
Graham, tell yourself mentaly that you will pack up, not tommorow or next week, but now today only you can do it mate.
Best of luck
Cheers Des

Captain Kong
8th September 2011, 07:14 AM
Packing up smoking was always easy. I stopped smoking a million times, nothing to it.
But the following day I was back on it after climbing up the wall.
My Doctor son who is an Oncologist had an open day at his Hospital so he took me to the disecting room where thay had the lungs of dead patients preserved in fluid. They were all black gunge etc.
He said my lungs would be just like that. I was out of breath, he said only a quarter of my lungs were working the rest was all clogged up with tar. He said if you wore your lungs on the outside, and could see them, you would never ever smoke. Get wise to yourself and pack it in.
I had a new pack of cigs in my pocket and binned them there and then. I got the FEAR, a ball of FEAR in my gut, I got scared. I never ever touched another ciggy, I had No withdrawal symptons, I never craved for a giggy again, The FEAR cured me instantly. That was 22 years ago. I feel good. But for that day at the Hospital and my sons advice I am sure I would be long dead now. A legless corpse.
Enjoy your day Graham. and join the ranks of the living.
Think , do I want to inflict the pain of bereavement on my wife and children? Do I hate them so much that I will carry on smoking and do that to them ??. THINK do I really love my family???
STOP NOW TODAY.
Cheers
Brian.

John Cassels
8th September 2011, 08:21 AM
Hate to be the one to throw a spanner in the works but I still smoke roll ups and enjoy them ( I think).

No one can deny that smoking is not the healthiest pastime on earth but should be put into
perspective re the health issue.
I know many people who have never smoked but have contracted cancer. I also know folk who
have smoked heavily all their lives and who have lived to a ripe old age.
Also - and this may seem strange - I know folks who have stopped smoking and within a couple of
years have passed away from a non smoking related illness.

I'm not trying to defend smoking here ! , only that there is perhaps another side.
Must admit though that the thought of loosing a leg is a bit scary. The main artery on my left upper
leg has already stopped working.

Maybe someday I'll try to give up but am afraid I don't have the will power !.

Pete Leonard (Bruno)
8th September 2011, 08:54 AM
I was not attempting to be evangelical by posting my story, just hoping that it might save a life somewhere. The stories of exceptions to the rule are legend, and I was guilty of perpetuating them when I wanted an excuse for not giving up. Like the jazz pianist Eubie Blake who died at 96 being a lifelong smoker. He is the one reputed to have said at the age of 90 "if I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken more care of myself". My own father died at the age of 88 having been a smoker all his life( Special Nosegay)But still with no connection to the habit. So I can see both sides of the argument, but I think the exceptions to the rule seem to get the most air-time. It's like listening to a gambler talking about his wins and avoiding his losses.
Pete

Captain Kong
8th September 2011, 09:42 AM
Hi Graham,
Sorry to put you through a hard time, bet you wished you had said nothing.
But Have you got a verdict on what has been said???
Cheers
Brian.

Graham Payne
8th September 2011, 09:44 AM
I can't beat you lot, thanks for all the advice:) I have just made an appointment with my G.P. I'll have to see how it goes, i'll give it a try.:o:(

Captain Kong
8th September 2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks for that Graham, wise move, here ends the lesson.
Good luck.
Cheers
Brian.

Ivan Cloherty
8th September 2011, 09:50 AM
I can't beat you lot, thanks for all the advice:) I have just made an appointment with my G.P. I'll have to see how it goes, i'll give it a try.:o:(

Good luck Graham, you have taken a few brickbats in these posts, but we only have your best interests at heart, those of us who have been directly affected by this disease know only too well the distress it has brought to our family, so we have done it with the best of intentions for you and your family.

May you cannot beat us lot, but we bet you can beat the addiction, we all sincerely hope so

paragon9
8th September 2011, 12:58 PM
Like with any addiction you need to wean yourself from it.

Try reducing your daily tally by 1 a week. You will soon get there, and the pain in packing up will be much less.

Once you have packed up, and you get the urge to smoke try a small cigar without inhaling the smoke.

You CAN do it!

Your only problem will be what to do with all that spare cash you save:eek:

captain gordon whittaker
8th September 2011, 01:06 PM
Myself and "She who must be obeyed", have both given up the noxious weed, after a lifelong 60 a day habit. We now put £70 per week each in a cash box, and have just booked yet another holiday in the sun for Winter! The ciggy money is taking us around the world. If I can do it, anyone can, but you must WANT to stop. Missus got Zaiban from GP and sailed through her giving up period. I just simply quit and no longer hear bagpipes in my lungs at night! Can't stand the smell of smokers now, which upsets some of my mates, but it really is obnoxious! Good luck and try to give it a go. Will you let a bit of dried weed beat you?

Colin Hawken
8th September 2011, 01:38 PM
Can't add anything different,can only agree with all the others. A heart attack made me stop and think. This and my Wife dying of lung cancer convinced me to stop. Let us know how you get on if you do decide to try to quit please.

Chris Allman
8th September 2011, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=John Cassels;66331

Maybe someday I'll try to give up but am afraid I don't have the will power !.[/QUOTE]

Yes you do, you don't know until you try. But and its a big BUT, you have to WANT to give up too, maybe that artery in your leg is a warning from your body.

Chris.

Chris Allman
8th September 2011, 02:03 PM
Good luck Graham, you can do it if you really want to.

Chris.

Louis the Amigo
8th September 2011, 03:26 PM
Hi shipmates ,Hi Pete, its not just self inflicted many good people who are non smokers' are taken by cancer, I was at a hospital a few days ago and I saw for my self that dept is very busy, So dont blame yourself !!!! any illness can get anyone at any time? just take it one day at a time, and hopefully you will make it.

Keith at Tregenna
8th September 2011, 08:31 PM

Although I will heed all the good advice, to answer the original question, check in at the airport, once you have got rid of the bags, pop outside and have a tab or two. Once you enter departure there is no going back.

Allow enough time to not miss the flight.

Once you have passed security, duty free, the bar etc, time flies.

As soon as seated, belt up and sleep.

A two and a half hour flight for the rest will seem like five minutes to you.

Did this on route to the Dominican Republic, it is a little like time travel.

Sleep the journey out and on return.

Not very sociable, but quick.

K.

John Cassels
9th September 2011, 08:23 AM
Yes you do, you don't know until you try. But and its a big BUT, you have to WANT to give up too, maybe that artery in your leg is a warning from your body.

Chris.

Of course you are correct Chris. Have tried before ( twice). And , yes , it is indeed a warning.

Pete Leonard (Bruno)
9th September 2011, 08:31 AM
I was once stuck in Singapore airport for about 3 hours waiting for a transfer flight. There was a smoking ban for the main concourse, but there was a smoking room designated. So off I went to this area for a drag, it was the most depressing sight I have ever seen. By the looks on the faces, nobody was really enjoying the experience. I could not get out of there fast enough. I could have kicked the habit there and then, but I had 400 df's in my bag. Pathetic isn't it ?
Pete

Neville Roberts
9th September 2011, 01:03 PM
My old Lady and I smoked for 54 years ,and gave it up 4 years ago with no help from anything but ourselves , but realy miss it a lot . I know its not healthy but I cant stand all the hype about second hand smoke many of you will remember the doctors offices with alarge ash tray on his desk, many years ago , and I know of some who never smoked who got lung cancer , and heart problems , think about all the diesel fumes that you suck up while on the highway or the polution in airports from the planes taking off,and diesel residue never gets out of your lungs. I worked in smoky barooms and restaurants all my life , so I think its just a toss up , bloody hell after all the ranting I wish I could have a ciggy.:eek::eek:

Graham Payne
9th September 2011, 01:43 PM
Not a lot I can say, apart from Thank You All :)
I will let you all know how I get on a bit later after the trying begins. :o :)

Les Woodard
9th September 2011, 11:05 PM
As the old saying goes? There is nothing worse than a reformed smoker. I have found that those that talk of giving it up only a small amount do. Those that quitely try it are more successful. Myself I was the worse at trying to give it up and tried many times only to be a dismal failure every time. Tried cold turkey, Hypnotism and patches along with other styles but alas went back to the hit of nicotine again and again. Got into an argument with the Wife (who smokes) while we where out in the car. She asked me I wanted a fag and because I had the shi8ts with her told her no. Decided to have one later on. After about an hour thought I would try for another hour and hence it has been well over a decade since that row with the wife and still I have not given them up but still waiting until that next fag. Side story is the Wife gave them up years ago as well. What I found is the need for a hit of nicotine is there but what happened is the needs for it got shorter over time and the time between lengthened to the extent that after about five years I would get the urge to have a fag for about one to two seconds twice a year and now not even that. Good luck to those that want to do it and for those who do not well enjoy it mate's there are many that do it until they kark it at the young age of around 90+. Lets face it for most of us now if we have not given it away, it is to late to kick the habit and put yourselves through agony only to find that you are not around long enough to reap the benefit of it.

Chris Allman
10th September 2011, 09:15 AM
If you read it up, all the nicotine has left your body completely after just 3 days. its the habit that you then have to kick.

The habit of having one with a drink, one after meals, one when under stress,one before you go to bed, one after s-x ( after what ) :D.

If you can beat the urge on those occasions you have cracked it. I smoked for 46 years and I have now been given up for eleven years. OK I am a reformed smoker but I only go on about it because I feel so much better. Plus, I am not a pariah of society, don't have to stand outside in the rain and wind and have so much more money in my pocket to spend on other things such as booze :)

Good luck to all who try to give up , if you succeed you will be much better off in loads of ways, believe me.

Chris.

David Williams
10th September 2011, 10:59 AM

hi Graham.

Way back in the late seventies,I was smoking 80/100 cigs a day,
Capstan Medium,Senior Service and John Players and in those
times they were around 49p for twenty,Ive no idea what they
cost today.I was in buisness,so never actualy paid for them,just
took them from stock.Locked up one night,went home,had a meal
smoked the last couple of fags,and I have never smoked since,it
was as easy as falling off the pavement.People who give up and
see pink elephants climbing up the wall,have screaming "abdabs" etc,
fought and conquered something which I admire.For me it was so
simple,I often wonder if I broke a craving or just a bad habit.

Dave Williams(R583900)
Llanelli.

PS Im only sorry that I didnt put all that money to oneside.

Captain Kong
10th September 2011, 12:33 PM
To have that Ball of Fear in the gut is the best way to finish, no hang ups. that is what cured me,
Today I would hate to have to go in the yard of a pub in the cold and wet just to have a fag.
I see them all the time and wonder....

Captain Kong
10th September 2011, 12:37 PM
Here is a song from 1947........................
.Country-western songwriter and entertainer Sollie "Tex" Williams, a heavy smoker best known for his tune, "Smoke, Smoke, Smoke That Cigarette," died after a year-long battle with cancer, his daughter said. . . . her father, who was diagnosed a year ago as having cancer, smoked two packs of cigarettes a day, dropping to about a pack a day before he died. "He tried to quit, but he couldn't," she said.

Smoke! Smoke! Smoke!(That Cigarette)

Now I'm a fellow with a heart of gold
And the ways of a gentleman I've been told
Kind-of-a-guy that wouldn't even harm a flea

But if me and a certain character met
The guy that invented that cigarette
I'd murder that son-of-a gun in the first degree

It ain't cuz I don't smoke 'em myself
and i don't reckon that it'll hinder your health
I smoked 'em all my life and I ain't dead yet

But nicotine slaves are all the same
at a pettin' party or a poker game
Everything gotta stop while they have a cigarette

CHORUS

Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette
Puff, puff, puff until you smoke yourself to death.

Tell St. Peter at the Golden Gate
That you hate to make him wait,
But you just gotta have another cigarette.

In a game of chance the other night
Old dame fortune was good and right
The kings and queens they kept on comin' around

Aw, I was hittin' em good and bettin' 'em high
But my bluff didn't work on a certain guy
He kept callin' and layin' his money down

See, he'd raise me then I'd raise him
and I'd say to him buddy ya gotta sink or swim
Finally called me but didn't raise the bet!

--Hmmph! I said Aces Full Pal -- I got you!
He said, "I'll pay up in a minute or two
But right now, i just gotta have another cigarette."

CHORUS

Now the other night I had a date
with the cutest little gal in any state
A high-bred, uptown, fancy little dame

She said she loved me and it seemd to me
That things were sorta like they oughtta be
So hand in hand we strolled down lovers lane

She was a long way from a chunk of ice
And our pettin' party was goin' real nice
And I got an idea I might have been there yet

So I give her a kiss and a little squeeze
Then she said, "Travis, Excuse me Please
But I just gotta have a cigarette."

CHORUS

Gulliver
10th September 2011, 03:46 PM
To have that Ball of Fear in the gut is the best way to finish, no hang ups. that is what cured me,
Today I would hate to have to go in the yard of a pub in the cold and wet just to have a fag.
I see them all the time and wonder....

Brian,that’s very true.Seeing as how we’re all baring our souls,I had a mini-stroke (TIA) twenty years ago when I was 38. Although smoking is just one of the factors that can contribute to strokes,I was thoroughly checked out of course and they discovered my arteries were narrower than usual.. I had smoked for thirty years (most of us did)and thought nothing of it. I had to stop or become an invalid in my 40’s.
When I recovered,I chose my day to stop,and just did it,cold turkey.It was only the first 5 days in my case that were the hardest..After that it just got easier and easier.Now I’ve never felt better,and would almost certainly say,that stopping smoking was the most single most positive thing I ever did to control my life.,and although some damage has already been done,it’s almost certainly prolonged my life.
And at £6.12p for 20 (£8.50 in my pub’s cigarette machine!) I ‘ve had many a good holiday jaunt out of the thousands of pounds I’ve saved !

Jim Brady
10th September 2011, 08:12 PM
I have'nt smoked since March after having smoked for over 55 years.I have listened to people complaining about the smell of tobacco smoke when they are entering public buildings like hostpitals etc where people are congregated smoking.I always thought that these people were exagerating and were over egging it.For the past 55 years I have obviously not been able to smell tobacco smoke,now the longer I am away from the weed the more acute my smell has become.I have just come back from a week at Llandudno,on using the lift when we got out I would say to my wife "someone has been smoking in that lift"no my wife would reply"it was that man/woman that you could smell".When I think that I must've stank like that it is more incentive not to go back on them.Now I can realy smell the smoke when passing people on the street who are smoking and quite honestly its not very pleasant.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Ivan Cloherty
11th September 2011, 08:31 AM
I have'nt smoked since March after having smoked for over 55 years.I have listened to people complaining about the smell of tobacco smoke when they are entering public buildings like hostpitals etc where people are congregated smoking.I always thought that these people were exagerating and were over egging it.For the past 55 years I have obviously not been able to smell tobacco smoke,now the longer I am away from the weed the more acute my smell has become.I have just come back from a week at Llandudno,on using the lift when we got out I would say to my wife "someone has been smoking in that lift"no my wife would reply"it was that man/woman that you could smell".When I think that I must've stank like that it is more incentive not to go back on them.Now I can realy smell the smoke when passing people on the street who are smoking and quite honestly its not very pleasant.
Regards.
Jim.B.

My wife and I being non smokers but having smoking friends used to go dancing (still do) when smoking was allowed in public places, on returning home from our dancing and entering the house it was only then we realised how much our clothes stank of smoke. We always (had to) get undressed downstairs so as not to carry the smell upstairs. Since the advent of not smoking in public places has been enacted our routine has changed, no need to get undressed in the hall. Also no more burnt dance dresses on the dance floor, as you always got those people who couldn't let go of their ciggy even to go have a dance. So apart from the health benefits there are other benefits from not smoking apart from the the health and financial ones. I think that smokers just do not realise just how much they and their clothes smell, sorry if that sounds rude, but unfortunately it's a fact.

Pete Leonard (Bruno)
11th September 2011, 09:44 AM
My next door neighbour used to smoke like one of Harrisons until he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. His wife did not smoke but, after she had visited us on her own, my wife would go round with the air freshener to take the smell away. Her clothes were impregnated with the smell. My wife said that I smelled like that when I smoked.

Keith at Tregenna
23rd September 2011, 04:56 PM
News: Satellite could hit earth tonight:

Best not go out for a ciggie just in case:

SMOKING COULD REALLY KILL YOU.

There is a satellite that may hit the Earth around September 23rd. NASA says there is a 1 in 3,200 chance of a piece being big enough to hit the ground intact instead of breaking into bits. The piece would be around 350 lbs if it hits. Again 1 in 3,200 chance.

It could land on your house. then best your out for a smoke ?

I believe most of the 'bus sized' satellite will disintegrate once hitting Earth's atmosphere. Wouldn't mind having a rough time guide though?

Will not attempt to catch a bus tonight:

Apparently safest is North, Scotland or Quebec etc.

Gone north till tomorrow.

But like the free beer tomorrow, tomorrow apparently never comes.

Mean while seems the sky is the limit.

LOOK UP, LOOK OUT, ANYTHING OUT OF THE NORM, RUN. WE MAY MEET?

K.

alf corbyn
24th September 2011, 04:35 PM
you get up in the morning look in your tin. you have enough for three roll-ups. walk over to the gash bucket, throw the tin in followed by your lighter. thats it!! you have stopped. i don't think that patches help thou they might help some. cold turkey is the best way. unfortunatly i had a few pains in the following weeks from eating so many polo mints. alf
PS i used to smoke at least fifty a day. started when i was seven, packed up at sixty two.

Captain Kong
24th September 2011, 05:45 PM
Good Lad, Alf.

John Cassels
24th September 2011, 10:14 PM
Wish I could do that alf , oops just dropped some ash on tkse keesvbotrd..

Capt Bill Davies
27th September 2011, 02:05 PM
A recent unfortunate event has brought this thread to mind.

Giving up smoking is never easy and I would say a lot of the advice given in this thread shows the passion many of us who have smoked subsequently regard the habit.

I gave up smoking in early 69. I was first trip Master on the SS Phoenix and early one morning whilst at anchor off Come by Chance (NFLD) I received an unexpected visitor in the form of the Shipowner, Daniel K. Ludwig.
His demeanor on entering my office/dayroom/bedroom (combined…..this is NBC) signaled that the visitor did not approve of the smell of smoke. Attired in his usual khaki I received a very passionate delivery on the ‘evils of tobacco’. I mention this in that it was the only time he ever spoke to me on a personal level. Did the trick for which I was always grateful.

There was never a need to discuss ‘drink’. They were VERY DRY ships.

Graham Payne
18th November 2011, 02:04 PM
18th November 2011 :o
Today Mr & Mrs Payne have finally stopped smoking after 50 years, both of us smoke 30 cigs a day :o
Hopefully this will save us £1 per hour at approx £7.20 a pack of 20. :)
Today is only day 1, many many more to go, we will try to "Rock & Roll"

David Williams
18th November 2011, 02:13 PM
Hi Graham.
Stick with it kid,the first six months
are the hardest!!!!!

Dave Williams(Ex Smoker)

Neville Roberts
18th November 2011, 02:15 PM
Good for you two My missus and I gave them up 4 years ago after 54 of smoking ,it was amazing too see my wife do it as she was a deep lung smoker ,and was going through a rough time with her sister dying and traveling back too scotland twice in a month,she actualy took cartons of fags with her and gave them away . within a month of quiting the price of them here tripled. I still would like a smoke now and then .keep it up gordon and missus .:):)

Capt Bill Davies
18th November 2011, 02:53 PM
Well done. You will experience what I would describe as 'decoking' over the next few months which is coughing up a blackish phlegm. That should give some satisfaction and shows what you have been doing to your lungs over the years.

Brgds

Bill

Tony Morcom
18th November 2011, 04:37 PM
Good for you Graham. Wish I had the will power but at the moment I don't and I think you've got to be in the right frame of mind to make the actual decision. However it is on my list to do.

Good luck to you both.

Regards Tony

Chris Allman
18th November 2011, 04:59 PM
Well done Graham and Mrs Graham, you will not regret it believe me, just keep saying to yourselves, " Yipee I am a happy non smoker, I have escaped the dreaded weed " . For information, after day three all the nicotine has left your body, fact, so a large part of the craving has gone and then all you have to do is kick the habit of having one at certain times, have a cuppa or a sweet instead.

Good luck to you both,

Chris

Captain Kong
18th November 2011, 05:27 PM
Congratulations Mr and Mrs Payne. Your new life starts from now. You are going to be healthier and live longer.
and you will have £735 a year towards your next vacation.
DO NOT START AGAIN.
Think of the Fear, the Fear will keep you off it, think of all the lung cancers, I have lost several friends who have died horrible long and painful deaths, screaming when the morphine isnt strong enough for the pain.and think of the despair your family has watching you die in those circumstances.
Sorry to be blunt but that should help you to stop.
Cheers
Brian.

David Williams
18th November 2011, 05:31 PM
Hi Graham.

How are things going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Wiliams

Louis the Amigo
18th November 2011, 05:55 PM
Hi Shipmates, Very well done Mr and MRS Payne welcome to the Non Smokers lounge there are no ashtrays or burns on the carpet and the walls and ceillings are not yellow with nicotine, every thing is shipshape and bristol fashion we have room for many more non smokers:D:D:D

Jim Brady
18th November 2011, 07:46 PM
Graham I am made up for you and your wife for at last giving it a go.What I will say is there is never a good time or a bad time to pack the bloody things in.I will say that you have picked an awkward time with the festive season coming up, obviously more socialising and drinking and as you know cigarettes go with drink.I dont wish to put the mockers on it but if you dont get past the Xmas period definitely it must be a first from New Years day.I quit in March,I'm not saying it's been easy I have'nt had a smoke but todate I have not got rid of the craving,I spent a quarter of the money that you and your good lady spend I have seen my bank balance go up by £1.500 that's what keeps me off them.Imagine what money you would have,THINK ABOUT A NICE WORLD CRUISE.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Doc Vernon
18th November 2011, 08:11 PM
Congrats Graham to you both,and besides saving a load of cash,your Health i am sure will improve!
My dear Lady gave it up about a Year ago now,and what a change i have seen!
Myself well i used to smoke quite heavily too,but gave it awy many Years ago!
Never looked back!
Keep the good work up!
Cheers

Neil Morton
19th November 2011, 05:31 AM
Extremely well done. My wife was as described above "a deep lung smoker". After a very close encounter with with death she has at last seen the light. Within three months her appetite, her skin, and her attitude are in marked relief to that which went before. Stick with it and reap benefits both monetary and health wise.

Gulliver
19th November 2011, 09:43 AM
Best decision you both will possibly ever make Graham,especially health benefit -wise.

And the horrendous amount of money you waste will fund a nice little cruise or two in the future for you and your good lady,I know.

It was only the first week of going 'cold turkey' which was very trying for me...after that it just got easier and easier. After a month I was already feeling better healthwise..and had spare money to save.

Some of my ex-smoker friends say the NO-SMOKING WALL (http://smokefree.nhs.uk/advice-and-information/message-wall/)blog helped them-and I must admit it looks good. There's no excuse these days really not to try and stop smoking,as there is so much different kinds of help available.

Well Done in your attempts.

Gulliver

John Cassels
19th November 2011, 10:47 AM
Must add to the congratulations , you both have more will power than us two , we still puff away !.

Graham Payne
19th November 2011, 01:50 PM
Hi Dave, 42 hrs and counting all well at present, thanks mate. :)
Jim, you hit the nail on the head there mate, Sue has decided savings WILL go on paying for a cruise. :o
Mostly .Thank You All For Your Encouragement. :)

Roger Dyer
19th November 2011, 01:58 PM
To Graham and Mrs.Payne,

Apart from all the other benefits to be gained by quitting (health and monetary), very soon you will also discover an increased sense of smell which will give you the ability to fully appreciate the aroma of roses, fresh mint, lavender, freshly roast coffee, fresh baked bread and so many other things that will have a depth of aroma you've not experienced for years. When kissed by friends or family they will no longer endure the sensation of kissing an ashtray. Probably, your taste for food will also become more acute...so be warned:) After 53 years of serious smoking I quit about three years ago. As someone has already mentioned I too found the first week or so the hardest but by taking it one day at a time I found that it became increasingly easier to make it through the day. I still get the occasional urge when I'm having a beer (which is often) , a cuppa' or after finishing a meal, but the urge is fleeting and easy to shrug off. Every time you get the urge, just remember that by giving into it you are throwing away the chance to enjoy a better way of living for the rest of your life. Good luck and best wishes to you both.

..............Roger

Graham Payne
19th November 2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks Roger.:)

Colin Hawken
19th November 2011, 04:21 PM
Well done Graham and your Wife. Like you I smoked for 50 years+. A heart attack(not too severe) happened.It was a case of the balloon and stents(4) being inserted. When I was discharged I was told "If you are back in 6 Months with those stents furred up, we will know you have carried on smoking.You will most certainly get absolutely no sympathy from us." I thought about this and the fact that time and money had been spent on putting me right. I decided it would be very wrong of me to wreck all they had done for me. I was a pipe smoker,I threw my pipes and tobacco in the bin,which was taken away by the Binmen the next day. If I wanted to start smoking again it would cost about £80=90 for a decent pipe,I only smoked Meerschaums,without the cost of tobacco. I really don't think about tobacco now. Stick with it,the time will come when you won't think about it either.

Colin Hawken
19th November 2011, 04:23 PM
I still drink though.

Syd Young
19th November 2011, 05:38 PM
A good decision Graham I stopped about 45years ago and never looked back ,a good friend of mine a cunard man died a few years ago with cancer he chain smoked and he ended up with the right side of his face eaten away,a horrible way to end your life for a smoke.

John Callon
19th November 2011, 09:57 PM
Keep it up Graham. I stopped just over 3 years ago, once the first week was over it just got easier by the day. As many others have said you start to get an acute taste of food and drink back. For me it was the taste of a cup of tea - could not stand the taste of it which I found hard to believe after drinking thousands and thousands of cups over the years. Thankfully it only lasted a couple of days and now drink gallons of the stuff. On a more serious note nothing would induce me to have a cigarette again, and besides the extra money means I can buy a bottle of Bacardi whenever I wish (which is often). Good luck.
Regards,
John

happy daze john in oz
20th November 2011, 06:04 AM
Congratulations mate, well done. When I gave up I began eating bags of peanuts, but after a while gave that away as well as the weight began to rise. Just hang in there and never ever give up.

tsell
21st November 2011, 12:47 AM
Put a sign on the fridge: "I will not smoke today!!"
When you go to bed, change the sign for: "Great, I did not smoke today and feel better for it!!"
The next day, repeat the process.
After 7 days, you should be able to stop putting silly bloody signs on the fridge!
You probably won't feel like a smoke either.
It's a one day at a time process.

captain gordon whittaker
21st November 2011, 09:04 AM
Our "No smoking" cash box paid for our cruise and we are off to Sharm-el Sheik in two weeks for some winter sun. £70 per week in cash, soon mounts up and yet we used to set fire to it, in the form of ciggies! Stick to it and smell the coffee!

alf corbyn
21st November 2011, 10:01 AM
good work graham keep it up/ i stopped at once, cold turkey. got bad tummy ache from lots of polo mints though. haha. the worse thing is all the jealous idiots who can't give up and keep offering you ciggies hoping to get you to start again. WILL POWER WORKS. alf

David Williams
4th December 2011, 04:33 PM
Hi Graham.
How are things going with your abstinance,still
holding out I hope.

Dave Williams

Jim Brady
4th December 2011, 06:50 PM
Graham,no pressure to you and your good wife just nosey barstewards!!!!!
Regards.
Jim.B.

John Cassels
4th December 2011, 06:56 PM
Graham,no pressure to you and your good wife just nosey barstewards!!!!!
Regards.
Jim.B.

Borrocks , you guys are just dying to know if he has sucumbed or not !.

Jim Brady
4th December 2011, 07:36 PM
John Cassels, John you never seem to get things right,I think you got your last two postings wrong before this one.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Lou Barron
5th December 2011, 01:50 AM
Good on you Grahamand to your good wife for packing in smoking it was one of the hardest things i did but it can be done and to you jim as you say it is the hardest part when you are having a few bevys keep it it up they say it improves you sex life but that i would not know

Graham Payne
5th December 2011, 03:36 PM
Honestly not a single puff from a cigarette has occured from either of us, ( it is bloody hard though,)
Many many thanks to all of you for your encouragment it really helps.:)
To others who are thinking of giving up the "Champix" tabs are working for me big time,
I'm a very weak willed person and they really help me. If I can do it anybody can.:o

Glan Phillips
5th December 2011, 06:07 PM
Congratulations.....keep it up, my late wife and I stopped 30 years ago, I know that if I had not quit I would not be around to-day at 81.

Cheers,
Glan

Jim Brady
17th December 2011, 09:10 PM
hi Graham,hope your doing OK on the no smoking regime.I have'nt had a smoke since March but I must say I still have'nt got rid of the craving.I love to play music and have a drink and a smoke but since packing the smoking in I have'nt played any music or had a drink in the house.My wife is having a get together tonight so I got out of the way and had a few beers.anyway I was having a pint and somebody had left a cigarette packet with about six in it,I'l have that and I'l give it a go later.I went outside and smoked half of the ciggie the next thing I was staggering around dizzy,just like when you had your first smoke.This has cured my curiosity and I will not be taking up the weed again!!!
Regards.
Jim.B.

Captain Kong
17th December 2011, 09:27 PM
Hi Graham,
Just think about a long lingering painful, no escape DEATH.That will keep you off them.
Have a nice day
Brian

Gulliver
18th December 2011, 11:55 AM
...and there's certainly NO SMOKING on this Boat !

Graham Payne
18th December 2011, 03:06 PM
Hi Jim, Well done.
still no puff to date, :cool:
I stopped the "Champix Tablets they seemed to make me feel unhappy, how sad is that ?
With giving up smoking and them, one had to go, I will say they helped me through the first 4 weeks no real cravings that I could'nt handle :rolleyes:
I just feel that something is missing in my life, its really weird , suppose a bit like going into a pub and having a
" Gin & Tonic " with no "Gin" :eek:, as I said, really bloody weird.
We will persevere. :) Hopefully .
Thanks to all of you for all your support. It's much appreciated by both of us.

Neville Roberts
18th December 2011, 03:15 PM
Hi Graham, its been 4 years for me and the missus now after 54 of smokos ,still have the urge but it gets better with time. and when you see someone else smoking you can say poor bugger look at him.that was me not long ago. I understand that it takes 5 years too get the old lungs back to normal so keep it up and take a nice vacation with the savings next year .

Graham Payne
18th December 2011, 03:31 PM
Hi Neville
My wife has spent her cigarette savings already ( and mine ) :mad:
Something wrong somewhere but where would we be without them :confused:
Agrhh :cool::rolleyes:

Dennis McGuckin
18th December 2011, 04:46 PM
Her indoors has been off them now,after a scare and visit to emerg, for TWO MONTHS.
And I am still alive. Although there has been a few close calls!!!
Den.

Willie Saunders
18th December 2011, 04:49 PM
After quitting the ciggies in April 1969, I used to sometimes dream that I was back on them again, was feeling annoyed with myself, but then on waking up, was pleased again. It was a bad bout of influenza, which helped me quit. nearly said a bad flu, but have to be careful, there are some jokers on here you know !

Gulliver
18th December 2011, 05:04 PM
Actually Neville,it might take 5 years,but even from 1 to 9 months after quitting the celia in the lungs are already starting to regrow,helping to minimise infection.

I think this Timeline of Benefits after Stopping Smoking might help some with their quest.I succeeded several years ago;at times it was difficult,but one of the best self-help things I ever did.

Gulliver

Quit Smoking ..and Within ...

20 minutes
Your blood pressure, pulse rate, and the temperature of your hands and feet will all return to normal.
8 hours
Remaining nicotine in your bloodstream will have fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.25% reduction.
12 hours
Your blood oxygen level will have increased to normal and carbon monoxide levels will have dropped to normal.
24 hours
Anxieties peak and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels.
48 hours
Damaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal. Cessation anger and irritability peaks.
72 hours
Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine. Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes will peak for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and the lungs functional abilities are starting to increase.
5 - 8 days
The "average" ex-smoker will encounter an "average" of three cue induced crave episodes per day. Although we may not be "average" and although serious cessation time distortion can make minutes feel like hours, it is unlikely that any single episode will last longer than 3 minutes. Keep a clock handy and time them.

10 days - The "average ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day, each less than 3 minutes.
10 days to 2 weeks
Recovery has likely progressed to the point where your addiction is no longer doing the talking. Blood circulation in our gums and teeth are now similar to that of a non-user.
2 to 4 weeks
Cessation related anger, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, impatience, insomnia, restlessness and depression have ended. If still experiencing any of these symptoms get seen and evaluated by your physician.
21 days
Brain acetylcholine receptor counts up-regulated in response to nicotine's presence have now down-regulated and receptor binding has returned to levels seen in the brains of non-smokers.
2 weeks to 3 months
Your heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function is beginning to improve.
3 weeks to 3 months
Your circulation has substantially improved. Walking has become easier. Your chronic cough, if any, has likely disappeared.
1 to 9 months
Any smoking related sinus congestion, fatigue or shortness of breath have decreased. Cilia have regrown in your lungs thereby increasing their ability to handle mucus, keep your lungs clean, and reduce infections.
Your body's overall energy has increased.
1 year
Your excess risk of coronary heart disease has dropped to less than half that of a smoker.
5 to 15 years
Your risk of stroke has declined to that of a non-smoker.
10 years
Your risk of death from lung cancer has declined by almost half if you were an average smoker (one pack per day). Your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and esophagus has now decreased.
13 years
Your risk of smoking induced tooth loss has declined to that of a never-smoker.
15 years
Your risk of coronary heart disease is now that of a person who has never smoked.

COST TOO!
1 Pkt per Day = £7.00 (in U.K.)
Per Week = £49
Per Month = £196
Per Year = £2,352

... so long as we stop while there is still time!

John Cassels
18th December 2011, 06:43 PM
After reading all that , need a fag to calm my nerves !.

happy daze john in oz
19th December 2011, 05:35 AM
Hi Graham,
Just think about a long lingering painful, no escape DEATH.That will keep you off them.
Have a nice day
Brian

Brian, why do you always have to bring marriage into the subject????

happy daze john in oz
19th December 2011, 05:42 AM
The Feral gov here in Oz is attempting to have all smokes sold in plain packets. All smokes now must be kept bihind closed shutters and not on view, unless of course they are sold in a regulation registered tobacco shop. Funny thing is the supermarkets pay a higher licence fee to sell them than the tobacco shops but must not have them on show.
But here's the rub, the gov hopes by hiding them and putting them in plain packets people will stop, but there are about3 million smokers here who between them contibute about 7 billion dollars in tax. Somehow I cannot see this or any other gov giving that amount up.

John Cassels
19th December 2011, 09:22 AM
Gentlemen , all joking aside , have been discussing this thread with the wife ( also a heavy smoker) and
we have both decided to try and stop as from the New Year. Neither of us are sure if we will succeed.

I've been rolling my own since I was 15 and that's just coming up for 50 years ago. It's the thought
of maybe loosing a leg or two that is the real worry. Main artery in my upper left leg is already
blocked , so think I've already had a warning.

It's going to be a real struggle I know . We've already tried before with not much success.

Captain Kong
19th December 2011, 09:42 AM
Smoking is not a joke John, I have watched two old friends of many years die at home, Their lung cancers developed into Brain Tumours.
I remember Peter, August 2010, I told him to stop smoking at a party, He said "I would rather die than stop smoking" I said "When you die you stop smoking anyway" 12 months later he went through the most horrible death a man can go through. We had his funeral last August, this is what it is like.............
The pain is uncontrolable With a Drip of Morphine permanently in an artery screaming loud because there is No relief from the pain which is getting worse day by day, the Morphine cannot control the pain, You are constantly soiling yourself as you cannot get out of bed to go to the bathroom, the wife in constant tears of fear and exhaustion, she also is suffering your pain, Mc Millan Nurses live in, 24 hours of help so the wife can try and have a little sleep, every day. The last 12 days even though they were in a coma they were still suffering excrutiating pain, Screaming but no one can help. there is no food or drink, a slow and long Painful death, then one night relief comes, the wife collapses with total exhaustion. and then the sadness and grief kick in. and Funeral arrangements. and it is all over, Every one is gathering around , then they drift away and she then becomes Lonely living in an empty house , not a home anymore.
If you can light a ciggy after this warning then this is Your Future.
I cannot say anymore on this
Have a nice day
Brian

Ivan Cloherty
19th December 2011, 10:45 AM
Gentlemen , all joking aside , have been discussing this thread with the wife ( also a heavy smoker) and
we have both decided to try and stop as from the New Year. Neither of us are sure if we will succeed.

I've been rolling my own since I was 15 and that's just coming up for 50 years ago. It's the thought
of maybe loosing a leg or two that is the real worry. Main artery in my upper left leg is already
blocked , so think I've already had a warning.

It's going to be a real struggle I know . We've already tried before with not much success.

John, we are all behind you and wish you both all success in your endeavours, we know it will be hard work but when has a seaman ever been frightened of hard work, you can do it mate, but why wait until new year, start the weaning off process now

Good luck to you both

alf corbyn
19th December 2011, 11:06 AM
john. yours is a deafeatest attitude, and if you continue to put it off you will find another excuse in the new year. if you really want to stop, do it now!! chuck watever ciggies you have into the rosie and never touch another. you can never taper off, you will be forever sneaking a quick puff. get one of those giant vodka bottles, and every time you feel like na puff put a pound in. by the end of the first week or two you will be trying to fill the bottle. alf

Graham Payne
19th December 2011, 02:25 PM

John & Good Lady
Please DO IT :) you can.
Day one (not nice) 1 day of purgotory,
get through that, :)
then think If you begin smoking again you have suffered needlessly for that day :eek:
Think of each day suffered, add each day then suddenly you don,t smoke. :)
It Works John "go for it" mate.
P.S. Your Dr should be able to offer some help. Also they do say pick a Noteable date (with a meaning for you) to begin, it does help

Captain Kong
19th December 2011, 05:43 PM
I have just been to the Doctors this afternoon for my annual check up. and had a Lung Function test.
The Computer said my lungs are the same as a 60 year old, very good considering I am 76. That is what happens when you stop smoking.
I was on up to 80 cigs a day at sea and stopped instantly, 22years, four months and 15 days ago. 4 August 1989.
So there is a Big improvement in the lungs when you stop. The Lungs really do help to keep you alive.
Cheers
Brian.

John Cassels
19th December 2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks all.
Yes Alf , You may call me defeatist , you may be right. Guess you mean filling the bottle with € 's ( while
we still have them , that is !.

happy daze john in oz
20th December 2011, 05:42 AM
John as a young man I thought nothing of 100 Chesterfields a day. Then one day not feeling the best I stopped. Yes it was rough for a while, ate a mountain of peanuts, but got over it. You can do anything you want to, all you need to do is tell your brain what you intend to do, do it right then and continue. Do not wait until the new year, it may not come, so STOP NOW, do not put off until tommorow what you can do today.

Captain Kong
20th December 2011, 09:11 AM
HI jOHN, DID YOU READ MY LAST MAIL?? THINK ABOUT IT, I AM TRYING TO SAVE YOUR LIFE.

Gulliver
20th December 2011, 10:09 AM
HI jOHN, DID YOU READ MY LAST MAIL?? THINK ABOUT IT, I AM TRYING TO SAVE YOUR LIFE.

Brian,as you know even an imminent DEATH SENTENCE can not make some smokers quit.

I nearly cried recently with frustration and pity(mainly pity) when I saw huddled in the cold a group of patients in dressing gowns-some attached to drips- puffing away outside the hospital entrance on the main road-because all smoking is banned anywhere within the hospital grounds.
I would not doubt that those patients were suffering from one of the many smoking-related illnesses...

I wish John C.and his wfe all the best in trying to give up this frequently debilitating and usually fatal form of self harm.

Captain Kong
20th December 2011, 12:48 PM
hI Dave, I have just arrived home from the Hospital and whilst there saw many patients in pyjamas some with drips on a stand all shivering with the freezing cold and spitting rain, having ciggies. out side the gate.
These people should be thrown out of the hospital because they do not want to be made better, the waiting list could be shorter because of these idiots.
I DESPAIR.
Brian

Dennis McGuckin
20th December 2011, 03:28 PM
In B.C.there is no smoking at hospitals, even in the parking lot.
New law in Vancouver will not allow smoking ANYWHERE outside.
Den.

Graham Payne
20th December 2011, 03:31 PM
I have just been to the Doctors this afternoon for my annual check up. and had a Lung Function test.
The Computer said my lungs are the same as a 60 year old, very good considering I am 76. That is what happens when you stop smoking.
I was on up to 80 cigs a day at sea and stopped instantly, 22years, four months and 15 days ago. 4 August 1989.
So there is a Big improvement in the lungs when you stop. The Lungs really do help to keep you alive.
Cheers
Brian.

Bloody hell Brian your still counting after 22 years, :(
If so that means I'm going to be counting til I'm dead and gone :mad:
will it ever end ? :rolleyes:

Captain Kong
20th December 2011, 04:00 PM
Not counting Graham, I am Celebrating. I am Alive.

Tony Morcom
20th December 2011, 05:16 PM
Please read fully before you jump down my throat.

For all those members who have successfully given up the evil weed may I congratulate each and every one of you.I would however respectfully remind you that it was your choice when you did, for what ever reason, decide to give up. Equally it is the right of each and every existing smoker on this site, of which i am one, to decide when and how we choose to give up. Personally I doubt that there is one of us that would not delight in waking up tomorrow as a non smoker. However as you all well know, and if you are honest will agree, it is not always that simple. Different people continue to smoke for different reasons in just the same way that drinkers drink. It is an addition and we are not all strong enough to just quit as and when someone says we ought to. It has to be our decision to be taken when we are ready in just the same way our friend Graham and his wife chose to a few weeks ago.

Yes, I agree with the sentiments expressed that someone who is in hospital because of a smoking related illness is stupid to carry on when they have already had their card marked. However as is well known there are many who live to a ripe old age having smoked all their lives. In just the same way there are many who have given up and yet die at an early age for a non smoking related reason. Whether we like it or not we live in a world where just about anything you do could be construed as being bad for you and dangerous. It is therefore up to the individual to decide how they chose to live their life.

I am NOT advocating a pro smoking forum, merely just reminding members that there are two sides to every coin and many of us are not fortunate enough to have yet been able to quit.As intelligent ladies and gents please respect the fact that it is not as simple for everyone as some on here would like to make out. Thank you.

Captain Kong
20th December 2011, 05:32 PM
Point taken Tony,
If I had one cigarette now I would be back on it tomorrow even after all this time.
It is just that I was so shocked at the suffering of two friends this year that I would not like anyone to go through that.
And I appreciate the fact that there is no one worse than a smoker who has packed it in.
All the best
Brian.

John Cassels
20th December 2011, 06:20 PM
Thank you for your post Tony , very refreshing to to read an understanding point of view.

And Brian , I must in all honesty say that I live in a civilised country where the suffering you describe
is deemed not to be necessary - and you can take that any way you like !.

Captain Kong
20th December 2011, 09:30 PM
Hi John, I was only saying that is what it was like for my two friends this year in Manchester, very sad thats all. It was a shock to watch them and be so helpless, I am taking Peter`s widow to Australia with us in January to help her to come to terms with her loss.
I do understand what it is like to be a smoker, it has helped me several times in hours of need and can be of a great help to steady the nerves and be a great comfort in times of stress.
Each to his own, I was just trying to help.
Cheers
Brian.

happy daze john in oz
21st December 2011, 05:21 AM
Many of our local councils have now banned smoking at outdoor cafes. They claim that patrons sitting at tables on the sidewalk pufing away polute the air that other non smokes breathe.
I agree with the sentiment, but what about all the polution from car exhausts as they roar by, or the diesel trucks pumping out black smoke? As an ex smoker I have no problem with those who continue to smoke,or take it up, it is their choice, freedom of choice a fundemental corner stone of our democracy.

John Cassels
21st December 2011, 08:58 AM
Hi John,Each to his own, I was just trying to help.Cheers Brian.

Brian , I realise you were trying to be helpful and believe me I appreciate it. I'm only afraid I may
not have the will power you have. Any thinking human being must know that smoking can't be good
for you . Putting this knowlege into practice is where I've failed in the past.

Graham Payne
21st December 2011, 01:58 PM
Brian , Putting this knowlege into practice is where I've failed in the past.

John,
Pick your time & your place,
all you can do is "try your best" nobody can do any more than that, if you give it a try you might well surprise yourself and others. :)
I'm not sure about Doctors in the Netherlands but they maybe able to help ? Doctors here in the UK did for me to date. :cool:
Go for it John. you have nothing to loose by trying, have you ?

David Williams
21st December 2011, 03:25 PM
Hi Graham.
How is the "Stopped Smoking" campaign going?,
you should now be in a financial position to buy
your wife something realy nice for Xmas!!!!!!!!!,

Dave Williams

Graham Payne
21st December 2011, 04:27 PM
Hi David
Stopping Smoking Still going OK, just :)
The wifes X-mas pressie,:rolleyes:
She has spent her savings plus mine :mad: but I am still expected to produce something for her X-mas present ???
At my age, I ask you !!!
Women, you just can't win :cool:

Dennis McGuckin
21st December 2011, 04:59 PM
I always say to the wife when she talks about a gift for herself.
Love, you have me, what more could you want.
Her reply is unprintable!
Den.

Keith Tindell
21st December 2011, 05:02 PM
Hi, I always say to my wife she is lucky, she`s got me, i`ve only got her !!!

Dennis McGuckin
21st December 2011, 05:02 PM
Some time back the wife decided to quit the evil weed.
One morning, a few days in to the quest for clear lunges and clean air.
I said 'good morning dear'
She replied 'are you looking for an argument'?
Says I to myself, on the way to the store to buy her a pack of fags.
Self,this is not good for her health, but it may prolong mine!!
Selfish attitude I know, but hey one also has to look after ones self.
Den.
As mentioned previously. She is now a none smoker for over two months. Good for both of us, so far.

happy daze john in oz
22nd December 2011, 05:32 AM
I always say to the wife when she talks about a gift for herself.
Love, you have me, what more could you want.
Her reply is unprintable!
Den.

In my humble opinion such a reply is encapsulated in all females genes.

happy daze john in oz
22nd December 2011, 05:33 AM
Hi, I always say to my wife she is lucky, she`s got me, i`ve only got her !!!

So when did you recover????????

happy daze john in oz
22nd December 2011, 05:35 AM
Somtimes Den it is greater to give than to recieve, so going to buy another packet shows your inner feelings!!!!!!!!

Graham Payne
22nd December 2011, 03:10 PM
Somtimes Den it is greater to give than to recieve, so going to buy another packet shows your inner feelings!!!!!!!!

Yeah right :rolleyes:
your a bloody coward like me :( :Seeya:

Graham Payne
22nd December 2011, 03:17 PM
But her, "Managment Indoors" :hearts: is still not smoking :)

David Williams
30th December 2011, 02:32 PM
18th November 2011 :o
Today Mr & Mrs Payne have finally stopped smoking after 50 years

Hi Graham.

How did the hiliday go without your fags,
I hope that you all had a great timeTell
me,now that you have given up the fags,
what did you have from Father Christmas
in place of these fags ?.

Dave Williams

Jim Brady
30th December 2011, 07:08 PM
Hi Graham,my son from your (is it town ) Greenwich has just been here for 4 days.I was quite happy to let him smoke outside in the rain and the wind ( it has been bad) my wife told him it was OK to smoke indoors.I can tell you the smell is unbelievable,it is putrid and I'm glad I got it out of my home.I must admit some times after I got used to it (to a fashion) I did feel like a wiff but I did not succumb.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Duke Drennan
30th December 2011, 08:09 PM
Good on you, Jimmy !!

Jim Brady
30th December 2011, 08:21 PM
Hi Duke,where have you been LONG TIME NO SPEAK. A genuine Good Luck for 2012 I must send you a PM.
Regards.
Jim.B.

robpage
30th December 2011, 08:21 PM
Hi Graham,my son from your (is it town ) Greenwich has just been here for 4 days.I was quite happy to let him smoke outside in the rain and the wind ( it has been bad) my wife told him it was OK to smoke indoors.I can tell you the smell is unbelievable,it is putrid and I'm glad I got it out of my home.I must admit some times after I got used to it (to a fashion) I did feel like a wiff but I did not succumb.
Regards.
Jim.B.

I found the first 22 years 11 months 2 days and 9 hours the worse to get over it

Jim Brady
30th December 2011, 08:38 PM
Hi Rob,That reminds me of the Irish guy that got a job in a museum as a guide..A visitor asked him how old the dinosaur was,well he said it's 200 million years 3 months and 6 days old.Good god said the visitor how can they date it so precise.Well said Paddy when I started here I was told it was 200 million years old and I've been here 3 months and 6 days so thats it.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Willie Saunders
30th December 2011, 09:10 PM
Dont mess with us Paddies !!

Jim Brady
30th December 2011, 09:13 PM
Willie,I'm a Lurgan man myself.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Willie Saunders
30th December 2011, 10:16 PM
Good man,Jim, we need to close ranks against those Limeys having a laugh at our expense, surely there must be some " English" jokes ? lol !

Jim Brady
30th December 2011, 10:48 PM
Hi Willie,good man yourself (Willie was my dads name)It's the Irish that tell the best jokes all about themselves,the Irish know it's a joke the English believe that it realy happened.No honestly jokes about Pat and Mick and the Irish are quite believable at times and funny but some jokes put out by English guys are so stupid that they are beyond comprehension.We have all this race discrimination at the moment and people being upset about remarks made by fellow workers against their race or creed.I read somewhere the other day about an Irish person complaining about two fellow workers telling Irish jokes,they have been suspended and will most probably loose their jobs.The best of Irish comedians that made the big time on British T.V. was because they told Irish jokes.What is going on how thin skinned are people becoming.!!!
Regards.
Jim.B.

Willie Saunders
30th December 2011, 11:12 PM
Jim, I cannot press the Like button, cos there isnt a like-it -a- lot one, ha! ha!

Ivan Cloherty
31st December 2011, 08:57 AM
Hi Willie,good man yourself Jim.B.

Ah Jim Lad, what has this got to do with smoking, and do I suspect an hint of English discrimination in there. No axe to grind just look at my family name. Personally I find that the English can laugh at themselves and have a great sense of humour

Happy new year :D

robpage
31st December 2011, 09:04 AM
That can be my new year resolution , Not to offend the fellows of the United Kingdom regional countries and our neighbours in the Irish Republic "

So there were two Poles , Patrik and Michaela ........

Gulliver
31st December 2011, 09:39 AM
Personally I find that the English can laugh at themselves and have a great sense of humour

Happy new year :D

Most of us Ivan,but for God's Sake don't tell any Scouse jokes !

Gulliver
:Lines_Port_holes_pr

Ivan Cloherty
31st December 2011, 09:55 AM
Good man,Jim, we need to close ranks against those Limeys having a laugh at our expense, surely there must be some " English" jokes ? lol !

OK Willie reverse Irish joke for you

Two Englishmen in a bar in Dublin the worse for wear (the men, not the bar, well maybe both)

1st English to barman "I say Paddy did you know that St Patrick was an Englishman"

No response from barman

1st English again to barman "I say Paddy did you know that St Patrick was an Englishman"

Bartender continues to polish his glasses, no response

2nd Englishman to barman "I say Paddy did you know St Patrick was an idiot"

Barman's response "Yes sir your friend just told me!"

Oh by the way, when did Irishmen start calling Englishmen "Limeys" has Ireland become the 53rd State

Duke Drennan
31st December 2011, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=Jim Brady;77481]Hi Duke,where have you been

Good morning to you Jim, (Loved the Irish bit. by the way,) further down the thread.
I'm enjoying a rare 10 day break from work and, right now, sittin' out on the poop hivin a fag and laughing at the "Forum Leaders" thread, brilliant !!!
I'm already on my second bottle of Woodchuck hard cider and getting ready for the Man U/Blackburn game on the telly. No bad for a Saturday morning.
My apologies to the others for the intrusion of your thread.

Graham Payne
31st December 2011, 02:49 PM
Hi Graham.How did the hiliday go without your fags

Hi Dave and thanks for asking,
both of us got through the festivities, but it does seem to get bloody harder & harder,
I never thought it would be so difficult, seems to me like you have lost a friend ? :mad:
However we are still married :hearts: and won,t give in, :)
Pressies ? she has gone mad , shirts, boxer shorts etc etc, other presents only I shall know about :rolleyes:
Happy New Year to you, and all the nice people on this site.

Jim Brady
31st December 2011, 07:46 PM
Ivan,87# born in Liverpool never seen the sun over Northern Ireland (my father was from Lurgan) my post was just for the craic.How could I discriminate against the English when me and my family are English.
(Deep Down I do suppose I'm Irish to which I have no shame!!!!)
Regards.
Jim.B.

Ivan Cloherty
1st January 2012, 09:58 AM
Eh Jim lad, I was throwing a bit of craic back at you, no offense intended, I'm from the same mould, Irish father, English mother, me born in London and also proud to be English, but as my ole mother used to say, your also Irish by injection! wonder what she meant!

All the best Jim, keep up the craic

Ivan

Neville Roberts
1st January 2012, 04:33 PM
I was :eek:born in kensington liverpool so that makes me scouse , but Dad side was from wales and Mums side is from scotland and Ireland. Byrne &Ca mpbell. so that makesus mongrels to. I read somewhere at the uk and Ireland is still 99% celtic.

John Cassels
9th January 2012, 06:37 PM
50 hours and counting ( since last fag) for both of us.

Captain Kong
9th January 2012, 06:47 PM
Good on you. John, Keep it up.
Wish I could ,
getting a slack half an inch from somewhere...

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

My Mother was from Walney Island, I dont know what that makes me,
Just another Woolyback I suppose.

happy daze john in oz
10th January 2012, 04:46 AM
My mother was English, but I am part Irish through a good friend of hers.

John Cassels
10th January 2012, 09:38 AM
[QUOTE=Captain Kong;78316]Good on you. John.
QUOTE]

Wish I could ?, what do you mean Brian , thought you had stopped ?.

Captain Kong
10th January 2012, 01:08 PM
Hi John
I dont think I was refering to smoking when I said that,
Good on you. John, Keep it up.
Wish I could ,
getting a slack half an inch from somewhere...

John Cassels
10th January 2012, 06:05 PM
Ah , get it now . My mind is not advanced as yours !.

John Cassels
12th January 2012, 08:54 AM
Now on the 6th.day without a fag.
I know it's very early days , but observations so far are ;

Do not feel better in any way , healthwise or otherwise.
Appetite no better or worse than before , food tastes exactly the same.
Age related daily aches and pains more pronounced now than when I was smoking.
Have had no great cravings or wall climbing feelings - only a small voice in my head telling me
how daft I am to give up something I enjoyed.

We'll keep going in any case.

Captain Kong
12th January 2012, 09:02 AM
Think of the money you are not burning, Think of the CANCERS AND TUMOURS YOU ARE NOT DEVELOPING.
Think of the pain and sufferering you will not be having. Think of the grief you will not be giving to your family on your early horrible painful death.
Think of the extra years of Life you will be getting.
After all that, Have a nice Day.
As Chairman Mao once said , "The Journey of a thousand miles starts with just one step".
He was right you know. "Keep right on to the end of the road," as Rabbi Burns once said.
Cheers
Brian.

Graham Payne
12th January 2012, 02:34 PM
John
Please keep going,
you have just suffered 6 days without a fag, just think that if you start again those 6 days would have been for nothing.
:):):)

David Williams
16th January 2012, 06:27 PM
Hi Graham.
How are things going with your "Non Smoking Campaign",
I havent read anything for a while,and I was wondering
how your will power was holding out???

Dave Williams

Jim Brady
28th February 2012, 09:21 AM
How about an update from our quiters.Heres hoping that they are still smoke free and a lot richer.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Tony Wilding
28th February 2012, 05:07 PM
good luck, think i will be next, fuel going up in budget, tobacco allways does, so nice to be able to reply to posts again, best wishes, Tony W.:th_thth5952deef:

Tony Robinson
29th February 2012, 06:20 AM
whats all the fuss about packing in smoking, its easy,idid it hundreds of times.

Graham Payne
29th February 2012, 01:58 PM
Hi David & Jim
thank you both for asking, we are still off the Fags 15 weeks so far,
but got to admit it is still bloody hard,
When will it End ? ARGHH :paranoia:

Neville Roberts
29th February 2012, 02:11 PM
Hi Graham, I dont know about all the others that stopped but My wife and I are coming up to our fourth year off them ,after 54 of smoking and I still would like a smoke . and I dont feel any better for stopping . but I often think of the $$$ we are saving ,at least it leaves a bit more for booze ,Ha, Ha, keep it up .Nev.

Jim Brady
29th February 2012, 02:25 PM
Hi Graham,I'm glad to hear that you and your good lady are still off the fags.I am off them 12 months and as Neville said I still feel like a smoke. the funny thing is it does'nt bother me when I am out having a pint which I expected to be the worst time.I think the idea of having to go and stand outside in the wind and the rain helps.I think the biggest incentive not to smoke is not having to go and pay the ridiculous price for them and instead to have that money in your pocket or the bank even. Keep up the good work.
Regards.
Jim.B.

David Williams
2nd March 2012, 09:56 PM
Hi Graham.
How are things going with the "ciggie diet".

Dave Williams

David Williams
9th March 2012, 03:32 PM
Hi Graham.
As the cough got any better ?.
Dave Williams(R583900)

Rodney Mills
9th March 2012, 09:22 PM
As Chairman Mao once said , "The Journey of a thousand miles starts with just one step".

Oh Captain!

"The journey...." written by the Chinese philosopher Laozi c. 604 bc - c531 bc. Some attribute the saying to Confucius c 551- c 479 bc.

You were close though...Moe was Chinese too.

Enjoy your trip and congratulations to all who quit.

Regards Rodney.

Captain Kong
16th May 2012, 07:29 AM
Hi all.
I just wondered how the lads who said they were going to stop smoking are getting on.
Have you succeded? or have you gone back to the habit?
Cheers
Brian

Doc Vernon
16th May 2012, 07:36 AM
A very good question Capt!
I sincerly hope that all will have succeeded in quitting,adter watching some of the really graphic adds here on TV ,that alone would have detered me from the habit!
But for some i know its very diffucult!
One blessing is that my wife Irene stopped ,it was hard but she got there and hasnt touched a Fag now for almost 2 Years! I am so gratefull.
And She is feeling and looking so much better too!
Cheers

Stick with the quit program Lads!

Jim Brady
16th May 2012, 11:30 AM
My situation is this.I packed in 12 months march gone,I dont have a problem when I am out having a pint the last thing I want is a smoke,I'm delighted about that.The problem has been the last few weeks I have been craving for a smoke when I'm at home, whilst I have no intention of going back on them and smoke as I did before I did need that cigarette to satisfy my craving. I bought half ounce and I may have one smoke per day and that satisfies me,I think that i
I needed to do that and I think this will stop me going on them as before.My family dont know I have the odd drag so when I went out today for my paper I had a roll up.My wife is in all day today so I will not be having another smoke today.I f I went back on them I know that I would be letting my family down as the were highly delighted when I packed them in.If I can stick to the odd one now and again which I realy enjoy I will be quite happy with that,going back to paying over £20 pw no chance.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Neville Roberts
16th May 2012, 12:56 PM
thats good Jim but watch out one may lead to another , Im off them now for 4 years after 54 of smoking .I found an old ciggie stump in my garage and tried it wow almost coughed my head off .I still have the urge now and then but as you say I think of the $$$$$ .:th_thth5952deef:

Captain Kong
16th May 2012, 01:16 PM
Jim,
The only way that I found was to pack in Completely, and it worked for me, I guess it works differently on others.
Eventually try missing a day and so on
Good luck with it
Brian

Tony Wilding
16th May 2012, 03:12 PM
I want to pack up smoking, any tips ? dont fancy using patches, i hear some bad reports of side effects, anyone who has stopped smoking , whats the difference healthwise now, ? a friend of mine stopped by having his first smoke 1 hour later each day,:th_thth5952deef:

Les Woodard
16th May 2012, 03:14 PM
I tried many times to give up smoking and was a dismal failure each time. The longest I went for was 18 months and ended up back on about 50 a day. Both of us smoked about the same amount. We where out in the car for most of the day and I spat the dummy over something trivial (of course) and when the wife asked if I wanted a smoke I acted like a kid and said NO. Thought to myself I will see how long I can do this for intending all the time to have one because I was really gagging for a hit of tar. Well one hour led to two and so forth. That was about twenty years ago now and in my mind I still have only given them away for a while and not given up smoking at all. It took the wife another twelve years before she gave them away. I tried to explain to her that I found that the craving for a fag did not go away but the length of the craving got shorter each time and the time between them got longer to the extent that I would get a real urge for a fag for about two seconds twice a year and now I do not even get that and she now admits that I was right as she still gets the odd craving about once a year. So maybe it is all in the mind and if you can convince yourself that you will have one later on but try to see how long before you do could end up that you never have it.

Hands up all those ex smokers that now know what a smoker smells like and can now see why others used to move away from you when you entered a room.

Jim Brady
16th May 2012, 03:19 PM
I want to pack up smoking, smoke 1 hour :th_thth5952deef:

Tony,Rule number one YOU HAVE GOT TO WANT TO PACK THEM IN it no use going at it half cock.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Tony Wilding
16th May 2012, 03:32 PM
am fed up with coughing and all the muck u bring up, plus the expense, but most of all i just want to pack in, maybe wont cough so much, i realise its bad for you, dont really want to be addicted to nicotine.:th_thth5952deef:

John Pruden
16th May 2012, 03:35 PM
MY QUACK asked me how many do you smoke!!! 10 a day and 20 of a night!!!!!JP

Captain Kong
16th May 2012, 03:44 PM
Quiting smoking was always easy, I stopped smoking a million times. easy.
A day or so later screaming up the wall and then starting again.
My son a Cancer Consultant, one open day at the Hospital, a few years ago, took me into the discection room.
He showed me the lungs of dead people who had died as a result of smoking, they were a horrible mess.
He said your lungs will be like that if you dont stop. If you wore your lungs on the outside you would never smoke.
I got so scared, I quit instantly, a new unopened pack of cigs was crushed and thrown in the bin.
Then my friends started with Lung Cancer and died horrible screaming deaths at home, no escape from pain even when pumped full of morphine. Death was a welcome relief for them and their families. If I hadnt stopped I am sure I would not be here now.
I had a lung funtion test at my doctors recently, I am 77, the machine computer recorded my lung capacity that of a 60 year old. So I have improved.
Think about it, FEAR is the best deterent,
Good luck to you all.
Brian

Graham Payne
16th May 2012, 04:32 PM
Hi All
Its now 5 months, 26 Days since I stopped, I honestly don't crave for a fag But I would very much like one, it is so hard to explain the difference to anyone. (I had one fag in that period)

Good bits 1. Breathing seems better
2. A lot More cash in my pocket, that is until "Managment" spends it. :mad:
3. I eat a lot more, for me that is a good point as I was a skinny sod in the first place
4. Sleep better, ie not waking every hour for a quick puff
5. The house seems cleaner "Management" again
6. No Cough ?

Bad Bits Sorry for this, but
1. Excess Saliva, ie When I go to the Pub I need to take a carrier bag and a box of tissues (SORRY)
2. Mucas seeps into my mouth all day (SORRY)
3. My taste has not come back at all
4. Still no sense of smell ( sometimes not a bad thing )

The saliva thing is really embarrasing, 100 mls in a 2 hour period, indoors I have a plastic pot but going to a resteraunt is a no no.
The G.P. has given me something but 3 days on and its not worked so far, will give it another 7 days and see what happens.
It may seem weak I know but I have had these symptoms for 5 months now and I really don't want them for the rest of my short time left on this planet. We shall see.
Good luck to all the others who have stopped. :)

Chris Allman
16th May 2012, 04:39 PM
Hands up all those ex smokers that now know what a smoker smells like and can now see why others used to move away from you when you entered a room.

My hand is up Les. I gave up on 13th March 2000 and have not regretted it for a second. No cough, more money and no horrible smell of smoke around me and in my clothes etc. I can smell a smoker at 100 yards now I find the smell revolting. I must be lucky because I have never craved a smoke since giving up. I credit my success to a book written by an Alan Carr who has since died of lung cancer but who gave me the will power to give up. Anybody trying to give up, get his book and read it, it teaches you how to give up. Good luck to all trying.

Chris.

Graham Payne
16th May 2012, 04:50 PM
am fed up with coughing and all the muck u bring up, plus the expense, but most of all i just want to pack in, maybe wont cough so much, i realise its bad for you, dont really want to be addicted to nicotine.:th_thth5952deef:

Hi Tony
Go to your G.P. ask for a tablet called "Champix" it's on prescription and It Does Work.
You have to want to stop or nothing will work, (apart from the thing we are trying to avoid for as long as possible)
Go for it you have nothing to lose by trying, have you ?
Best of Luck.:D

Gulliver
16th May 2012, 05:23 PM
Useful Tools

TIMELINE (http://smokefree.nhs.uk/why-quit/timeline/)
(http://smokefree.nhs.uk/why-quit/timeline/)

COST CALCULATOR (http://smokefree.nhs.uk/quit-tools/calculate-the-cost/)

John Callon
16th May 2012, 07:32 PM
Stopped smoking four years ago this coming October. My doctor also gave me Champix tablets which after 3 days I washed them down the toilet. The side effects were horrendous - nausea, unable to eat, dizzyness and God knows what else. Went cold turkey and have never smoked again, and I hasten to add,never will. As Chris has pointed out the smell coming off somebody that smokes is pretty horrible. I can't believe that I smelt that way.
Regards,
John

Chris Allman
16th May 2012, 10:16 PM
I have just used Gulliver's calculator - I gave up smoking on 13th March 2000, so I have been given up, give or take a couple of weeks, 145 months in total. I smoked 20 a day which cost me then £4.50p a day, so its £136.88p a month for 145 months. That adds up to £19,847.60p I have saved at year 2000 prices. That does not take into account price rises since year 2000, if I add them, I must have saved well over £20,000.00p.

So there is the incentive money wise, the health incentive is even bigger, am I glad I gave up, give up and you too could be that much better off, go on have a go. :thumbsup:

Chris.

Tony Wilding
16th May 2012, 10:43 PM
well i definately want to stop, shortly i am flying to Cebu In Philippines, that day i cant smoke in the Taxi going to Railway Station, cant smoke on the Train or Coach to Airport, cant smoke at the Airport or on the Plane, 2 hours wait at Hong Kong then plane to Cebu, still cant smoke, approx 16 hours flying time in all 4 or 5 hours at Airports and allow 4 hours from home to airport, could take 30 hours without a smoke, take some boiled sweets to suck on, so thats my start day, first 24 hours is the worst i was told. but i wont have a choice that day.:th_thth5952deef:

Lou Barron
16th May 2012, 10:49 PM
After reading some of the very interesting about stopping smoking .I gave up twenty years ago Jim my good friend DO NOT THINK OF ANOTHER FAG just .I knowit is bloody hard even now sometimes i feel like a drag but no .The things that make a big difference about not smoking is is amazing .Now it as got that way its just about a crime to smoke in NZ .There is not one of my family smoke even though they like to drink and have partys

Les Woodard
16th May 2012, 11:10 PM
Tony got one more good point that I found once I had quit. I found that I did not panic anymore if I did not have enough money in my pocket for a packet of fags. In fact the importance of having money diminished a lot. The bad point came years later when it seemed that the sh8t on my lungs started to break free and I started coughing it up.

Lots of people who give it away say that their sense of smell and taste does not improve but I beg to differ as I think it is such a slow process that you do not realise that it has. Who amongst us have either purchased a used car or gone in someone else's car and the air conditioning has been turned on only to find that a smoker has either owned it before or the owner is a smoker and the stench that comes out of the AC is unbelievable and yet they can not smell it. Also happens if you visit someones house and they have smoked while the AC has been on. That might be why there are so many laws now banning smoking in shopping centres as the patronage would decline. Often wonder how our cabins must have smelt as most of us used to smoke a lot in those days.

Tony Wilding
16th May 2012, 11:32 PM
I DO REALISE OTHER PEOPLE SMELL IT, AND IT MAKES THE WHOLE HOUSE SMELL, AND THE CAR, I KNOW ITS NOT GOOD FOR ME, WILL DEFINATELY TRY , THANKS FOR ALL ADVICE. :th_thth5952deef:

Doc Vernon
16th May 2012, 11:49 PM
A difficult thing i know Tony but with perserverance you will win!
Cheers

PS Need another test Post for you know what Tony!
Cheers

happy daze john in oz
17th May 2012, 01:31 AM
I got to the stage of about 90 per day. Gave it away back in the easrly 70's and have not looked back.

Tony Wilding
17th May 2012, 01:37 AM
I ACTUALLY GAVE IT UP OVER 20 YEARS AGO, ONE DAY DECIDED TO STOP, NEVER SMOKED FOR 2 YEARS, THEN HAD A BAD PATCH OF WORRY, MY HOUSE WAS RE POSESSED, MADE ME START AGAIN, BUT ITS TRUE WHAT IS SAID, THE CRAVING DOES GET LESS , :th_thth5952deef:

Charlie Hannah
17th May 2012, 02:04 AM
Jim one a day is one too many!Dont do it.I have been off them about twenty five years now,used to smoke 80 a day,quit cold turkey.But the reason behind me telling you not to do it Jim I still think of it even now.This happened before i quit for good,i had been off them for 8 months.I was on a ship in Dry dock in Singapore we were berthed ashore in the Tanglin Inn just had dinner and standing at the bar having a few Irish coffees when my offsider walked in he handed me a long Panatella cigar with the words here Charlie you will enjoy this after your meal,I did and ended up smoking 40 a day .sent me back to were i was.Only took that first one!

Jim Brady
17th May 2012, 07:35 AM
Thanks for that advice Charlie,by the way did you used to drink with Pat Brady (no relation) and Eddie Dean?
Regards.
Jim.B.

alf corbyn
17th May 2012, 09:00 AM
its entirely up to you whether you pack up;. don't light up when you get up and throw away all your fags and lighter etc. find a substitute like polo mints or something to suck. only you can stop the urge. keep clear of other smokers if you can.

Syd Young
17th May 2012, 09:50 AM
I went cold turkey 40 years ago,will power is the only way to stop.I saw a friend of mine an ex Cunard man slowly die from smoking in the end half of his face was eaten away with cancer from smoking he died 10 years ago aged only 60.I will never get the image of that out of my mind.

Captain Kong
17th May 2012, 09:53 AM
FEAR is the best deterant.
Cheers
Brian.

Keith Tindell
17th May 2012, 10:32 AM
I stopped 45 years ago, and still on the odd occasion i dream that i have started again, and wake up in a sweat, and a great sense of relief that it was just a dream, as brian says, the fear keeps it all away, KT

English Margaret
17th May 2012, 01:37 PM
I bought an electronic cigarette and filters to help me give up, unfortunately I convenently forgot to buy the charger, so after reading some of these posts I am going to send away for it now! none of my kids smoke and they are not happy that I do, so I am going to be strong for them. Gave up once for 8 years and started again due to stress. What a fool. :(

Tony Wilding
17th May 2012, 02:11 PM
hi Margaret, thats what happened to me, almost 2 years stopped, then had severe problems, so i smoked a cigarette, said i would only smoke 5 a day, no chance, within a week was as befor, just takes one puff and you are hooked again, i occasionally got the craving during that two years, but found it did not last long, was easy to put out of your mind the longer time went by, it was if i had a beer i wanted a cigarette, well i dont drink now, so that wont arise, my lady in the Philippines does not drink or smoke so thats better also, i do mostly out of boredom and being alone, cant stand being alone, am just re newing my passport next week, then i get a Philippine bank account, visa, and flight, sell a few things here, my car, and i go,am hoping within 6 or 7 weeks time, lots of things to arrange, all takes time, but money is the hardest to save when on a fixed income, so bit by bit its happening. so the day i leave here is my last smoke, cant give up befor then , not all the time i am alone. good luck if you can also.

Captain Kong
17th May 2012, 02:49 PM
regarding your health as a smoker, it not only affects your Lung Cancer but all your arteries, you develop arterioschlerrosis*,
Hardening of the arteries, which apart from giving you HiGH BLOOD PRESSURE, which makes you a swift candidate for heart attack and or stroke, it also gives you gangrene in the toes, feet and legs, and then you lose your legs through amputation.
and dont forget your wallet.
Not a bright future is it.?
Sorry to be a misery but this does happen and I have seen my friends suffer horribly. Three years ago in the pub I sald to my mate Peter, when he came back from outside having a ciggy, "Why dont you pack it in" he said "I would rather die than pack it in". two years later, last August he died screaming in uncontrolable pain from his lung Cancer.
He had then packed it in.
My ex wife is in a wheelchair, with an Oxygen tank on the back , gasping and wheezing, sucking oxygen through tubes, she has Emphysemia caused by smoking, gone from an active woman to just a shell gasping for air, even tho` she is my ex I feel sorry for her. Her life is now a misery.
.If you start again because of Stress, just think how much Stress does your family have, watching helplessly, as you scream your last in uncontrolable pain, So do not be selfish, think of the Misery and distress you will cause your loved ones.
If all that is not an incentive.
then I wish the best of luck for your future.
Cheers
Brian.

Dennis McGuckin
17th May 2012, 03:40 PM
Same as me. After years of not smoking, still have the odd dream. Thank God it's only dreaming.
Yes Capt Kong, it's fear that works best.
That's what happened to my wife last October. She is now suffering from the effects of nearly 50 years of smoking.
Den.

Charlie Hannah
18th May 2012, 12:53 AM
Thanks for that advice Charlie,by the way did you used to drink with Pat Brady (no relation) and Eddie Dean?
Regards.
Jim.B.

I know both of them very well Jim matter of fact just got back in touch with Pat and talk to him often on Skype,he got my email address off a good mate of mine Charlie Hobson,before that i hadn't seen him for about forty years,I am now in touch with around a dozen or more of my Old ship mates.all through buying the computer.

Red Lead Ted
18th May 2012, 01:03 AM
I bought Eddie Dean, ANOTHER Pint last Saturday before the Cunard yank dissapeared on me. Are you from the Seafoth area Regards Terry. {Seaforth}.:th_thth5952deef:

Charlie Hannah
18th May 2012, 01:08 AM
I bought Eddie Dean, ANOTHER Pint last Saturday before the Cunard yank dissapeared on me. Are you from the Seafoth area Regards Terry. {Seaforth}.:th_thth5952deef:

No Terry i was born and bred in Bootle,last place i lived back home was Clifton Walk off Marsh Lane,Before that Bedford Rd. That,s were i knew Eddie from!

Red Lead Ted
18th May 2012, 01:10 AM

My misses has never smoked in her life, If she never saw a drink it would never have worried her. 2 points.
1, Her cancer specialist who had her through 2 yrs of chemo warned her never to eat red meat ?
2, If you choose the patches and as is common you put it on of a night and find it stuck to your misses the next morning, Stick them over your eyes you may fall down the stair,s a few times but you wont find your ciggy,s. Never beat yourself up m8 its the worse thing you can do in any addiction Regards Terry.:p:p p.s. I have a problem with the booze ??? I cant afford it every night ?

John Pruden
18th May 2012, 05:34 AM
CHARLIE i live next door to eddie{30 years} he still goes into town for mad monday!!! all the cunard yanks get together. i think thats what keeps him going?.JP

happy daze john in oz
18th May 2012, 05:37 AM
I ACTUALLY GAVE IT UP OVER 20 YEARS AGO, ONE DAY DECIDED TO STOP, NEVER SMOKED FOR 2 YEARS, THEN HAD A BAD PATCH OF WORRY, MY HOUSE WAS RE POSESSED, MADE ME START AGAIN, BUT ITS TRUE WHAT IS SAID, THE CRAVING DOES GET LESS , :th_thth5952deef:

All depends on what you crave I guess!

Louis the Amigo
18th May 2012, 09:36 AM
Hi shipmates any vice with willpower and support of friends and family can be beaten but its not easy? With the very high price of fags £7 a pack and booze £2.50 a pint you must be very rich to afford it? if you can drink and smoke today, the government could send you a thank you note for all the extra tax you pay? but with the price of stamps ???? If everyone gives up where will the extra tax money come from? The private car owner fuel duty or food

Syd Young
18th May 2012, 10:22 AM
If everyone gave up smoking and booze the NHS would save Millions,especially A&E on a weekend.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

The foolproof way to stop smoking..buy patches and stick one over you mouth problem solved ;)

Les Woodard
18th May 2012, 11:04 PM

Bloody hell RLT you better take it easy mate buying more than one pint for your mate in a lifetime LOL.

Charlie Hannah
19th May 2012, 04:37 AM
CHARLIE i live next door to eddie{30 years} he still goes into town for mad monday!!! all the cunard yanks get together. i think thats what keeps him going?.JP

Give him my regards next time you see him John,Its years since i last saw him.Cheers

happy daze john in oz
19th May 2012, 05:47 AM
As there have been over 5,000 hits on this thread I assume there are a lot of ex MN smokers out there looking for tips on how to stop.

Colin Pook
19th May 2012, 02:55 PM
Hi Graham. There ain't no easy way to stop. I smoked for 50 years and succeeded in knackering my leg arteries, even to the point of not being able to have stent(s) put in. It took a heart complaint and a chin-wag with a cardiologist who asked me if I had ever had a stroke or a heart atack. I replied NO. He then said--FINE, CARRY ON THE WAY YOU ARE AND YOUR'E A DEFINITE CANDIDATE FOR A WOODEN BOX!!
That night , me and er' indoors talked it over and decided that we had better heed the gypsies warning (er' had been smoking longer than me). WE both agreed that this would be our last fag, and that tomorrow would be fag-less.
We have now been stopped for 7 years and feel so much better for it. I must add that there are ocasions whenI have been doing something, sat down and wished I could have a roll-up, but the yearning only lasts for a few minutes. So, we have both kicked the habit. I don't know how old you are Graham mate, but, as sure as little eggs are eggs you can do it. Don't drive yourself mental by saying I must give up , I mustn't smoke, every 5 minutes, just relax and now and again tell yourself what a Prat youv'e been and now youv'e taken the step to stop while youv'e got some life left. Believe me, once you accept what you are doing, it will become easy.
My very best wishes.
Colin.

Lou Barron
20th May 2012, 02:15 AM
Its easy to give up smoking just read these posts

Tony Morcom
20th May 2012, 04:56 PM
I had actually decided to give up the dreaded weed at the start of May. My challenge is that I have been feeling so bloody ill through stress of late I don't know whether it will make me feel better or worse. Pitiful excuse I know but after 40 years I don't expect another few weeks will make much difference! I am finally starting Stress Counseling on Tuesday afternoon after a referral from my GP. Its taken three months to get to the top of the list but I am hoping that it will help and if it does then my next challenge is to quit smoking. I do want to do it but like many others find so many excuses not to. Bottom line I suppose is that its easier to smoke than not to smoke, if that makes any sense at all.

Captain Kong
20th May 2012, 06:42 PM
As I have said before Tony, how much stress do you put on your family and your self when you are screaming in uncontrollable pain. Counseling could not have helped my friends. The advice I gave them all a few years before would have helped them and their loved ones.
Never say,`It Cant happen to me, I feel OK at the moment.`
Sorry to be a pain in the ass but I am so sad that people still smoke, it is a drug.
I was with a Rhodesian Tobacco Farmer a few years ago, 2001,on my way back from a trip to South Africa,
He smoked very Big Cigars, on the ship they cost £30 each, he offered me one, I declined as that would have kicked me off again.
He told me that the tobacco Companies add chemicals to cigarettes to make them addictive, so you are hooked, and will have to buy them again and again. His expensive cigars had only pure tobacco leaf, nothing added
Ciggies can have as many as 3,000 carcinogens in them.
The choice is yours.
Imagine you are back at sea, and a Life and Death situation arises, Do you grit your teeth and get stuck in and solve the situation or do you back down and hope it solves itself knowing full well it wont and end up in a Disaster.?
Sorry cant help anymore. it is a personal choice I know, I am just doing my best trying my best to save a lot of future suffering.
Have a nice day.
Brian.

Chris Allman
20th May 2012, 09:59 PM
Tony,

It is difficult at first but gets easier as you go on. In my last years prior to retirement, I worked in a very stressful job and I used cigarettes as what I thought were stress breakers. I suddenly realised, that I was stressed up, had a fag and that I was still stressed up, it did not do anything for my stress. In fact it upped it by constantly having to make sure I had enough to keep me going. Also it was costing me money I could do without spending and the most important of all, it was making me feel ill, coughing etc. I gave up and have never looked back.

Good luck in giving them up and good luck with your treatment. Perhaps you could look at giving them up as part of your treatment which you have to complete, just another little incentive.

Chris.

John Callon
20th May 2012, 10:27 PM
Tony, as I mentioned earlier on this thread I gave up 4 years ago this coming October. I have to say that if knew how easy it was to do I would have packed the dreaded things in years ago. Don't get me wrong packing up affects different people in different ways. My sister in law actually lost her job when she stopped smoking as she was off work with chronic withdrawel reactions. Her GP reckoned it was the worst case he had ever seen. It did'nt do her much good as 5 years later she died of lung cancer. However I found that once I decided to quit I classed myself as a non smoker. Sure the urge was there but you have to decide who is the stronger, you or a piece of paper with some leaf in it. After the first day I was in the shower thinking hell this is my second day smoke free and so it went on. To be perfectly honest I could not afford to pay £7 for a packet now, and even if i could I would not buy them on principal. Think positive my friend and read some of Capt Kongs postings on the subject. There is enough content there to frighten the living .... out of any committed smoker. Good luck.
Regards
John

Les Woodard
20th May 2012, 10:48 PM
All that are posting advice on the subject are so correct that it is bad for your health but like everything else there are exceptions to the rule. There are those that seem to be able to smoke all their lives and live a long and healthy one but unfortunatly I am one of the many that it ended up making me sick from smoking but my brother who is twelve years my senior still smokes and I think it would kill him if he gave it up. My other brother never smoked in his life and karked it before he turned 60 so go figure that one out. Smoking does all that they say it does in fast tracking most to the grave but for some giving up would kill them from stress. Human beings are individuals and as such have different needs so be careful in advising the minority into doing something that could not only shorten their lives but also make them miserable for the remaining days on terra firma. Nothing bloody worse than an ex smoker (I know I am one).

As an aside to this topic why are we becoming used to peer pressure to make us all so bloody uniformingly and boring human beings without a trace of the old diversity and adventurous nature that we started out in this life with. No wonder those in power treat us like sheep.

Lou Barron
20th May 2012, 11:08 PM
During the war and even after i think the biggest majority of seamen smoked either a pipe or cigarettes and the down below crowd chewed tobaco as for stress thats a word we never heard of but my mother was a very heavy smoker always had a packet of woodbines in her apron pocket it killed her lung cancer i never thought i would give up smoking but i did

Red Lead Ted
20th May 2012, 11:56 PM
Hi shipmates any vice with willpower and support of friends and family can be beaten but its not easy........

Its not just the ciggs@booze m8 every £1 you put on the lottery saves this government millions as they say for good causes? And people are queing up to get to the lottery machines :cool: Regards Terry.

Charlie Hannah
21st May 2012, 01:43 AM
WARNING: While most of the listed health risk reversal entires are common to all quitting methods, the below chart is intended for cold turkey quitters only, not those using quitting products which may produce their own symptoms, delay withdrawal or otherwise inhibit restoration of natural brain neuron function or sensitivities.

The chart reflects averages and norms. Do not rely upon this chart as it relates to any behavioral change or symptom if you are using any quit smoking product. If using a product and you or a family member are at all concerned about any change in behavior, depression, aggression or any ongoing symptom contact your physician and pharmacist IMMEDIATELY! If you experience any suicidal thinking, thoughts of wanting to harm or kill others, loss of consciousness, seizure or other serious behavioral change or symptom seek IMMEDIATE EMERGENCY MEDICAL ATTENTION.

Our body's ability to mend is beauty to behold ...

Within ...

20 minutes
Your blood pressure, pulse rate, and the temperature of your hands and feet will all return to normal.
8 hours
Remaining nicotine in your bloodstream will have fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.25% reduction.
12 hours
Your blood oxygen level will have increased to normal and carbon monoxide levels will have dropped to normal.
24 hours
Anxieties peak in intensity and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels.
48 hours
Damaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal. Cessation anger and irritability peaks.
72 hours
Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine. Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day will peak for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and the lungs functional abilities are starting to increase.
5 - 8 days
The "average" ex-smoker will encounter an "average" of three cue induced crave episodes per day. Although we may not be "average" and although serious cessation time distortion can make minutes feel like hours, it is unlikely that any single episode will last longer than 3 minutes. Keep a clock handy and time them.
10 days
10 days - The "average ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day, each less than 3 minutes.
10 days to 2 weeks
Recovery has likely progressed to the point where your addiction is no longer doing the talking. Blood circulation in our gums and teeth are now similar to that of a non-user.
2 to 4 weeks
Cessation related anger, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, impatience, insomnia, restlessness and depression have ended. If still experiencing any of these symptoms get seen and evaluated by your physician.
21 days
Brain acetylcholine receptor counts up-regulated in response to nicotine's presence have now down-regulated and receptor binding has returned to levels seen in the brains of non-smokers.
2 weeks to 3 months
Your heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function is beginning to improve.
3 weeks to 3 months
Your circulation has substantially improved. Walking has become easier. Your chronic cough, if any, has likely disappeared.
1 to 9 months
Any smoking related sinus congestion, fatigue or shortness of breath have decreased. Cilia have regrown in your lungs thereby increasing their ability to handle mucus, keep your lungs clean, and reduce infections. Your body's overall energy has increased.
1 year
Your excess risk of coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke has dropped to less than half that of a smoker.
5 to 15 years
Your risk of stroke has declined to that of a non-smoker.
10 years
Your risk of being diagnosed with lung cancer is between 30% and 50% of that for a continuing smoker (2005 study). Risk of death from lung cancer has declined by almost half if you were an average smoker (one pack per day). Your risk of pancreatic cancer has declined to that of a never-smoker (2011 study), while risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and esophagus has also declined. Your risk of developing diabetes is now similar to that of a never-smoker (2012 study).
13 years
Your risk of smoking induced tooth loss has declined to that of a never-smoker (2006 study).
15 years
Your risk of coronary heart disease is now that of a person who has never smoked.
20 years
Female excess risk of death from all smoking related causes, including lung disease and cancer, has now reduced to that of a never-smoker (2008 study). Risk of pancreatic cancer reduced to that of a never-smoker (2011 study).

... so long as we stop while still time!

Les Woodard
21st May 2012, 07:02 AM
Not to mention putting on the pounds because you enjoy the tucker more. Then you have to put up with all the fitness freaks telling you to exercise more to loose the fat LOL. Yes I gave up long ago and more or less in the same catergory as a none smoker and now have the fitness freaks on my back now that the ex smokers have p1ssed of. Now I am being bombarded to take out funeral insurance for when I kark it. Is there no end to all this stress in our lives. Personally when I kark it I do not want to leave behind one working part of my body I want to go knowing I used it all up by living life. As for funeral well never heard of anyone not having one so why the fecking hell the guilt trips. Give up Smoking, drinking, eating foods that you like, exercising and now prepaying your own bloody funeral. Makes a person want to turn to drink. Short answer to it all is. If you like your life then someone will point out that you are not living it right.

John Cassels
21st May 2012, 07:56 AM
Now stopped since middle of February and don't feel the slightest bit better for it.

In fact , normal daily aches and pains are far more pronounced.

Stopping with smoking ? - overrated .

Capt Bill Davies
21st May 2012, 10:27 AM
John,

You know very well that is not true.

The truth is, and to quote ' Heineken' which I am sure you will be familiar with.

The blood is now getter to places where it has not been for years. Give it time!!

Surely, you must have started coughing up the black tinged phlegm by now.

That's the de-coking process.

Brgds

Bill

Glenn Baker
21st May 2012, 11:06 AM
I gave up smoking a few years ago, but on the 17 December 2011 I had a massive heart attack, and was put on the Flying Doctor Plane and flown to Box Hill Hospital near Melbourne.

It was blockages of the Arteries from years of Smoking, I now have stents in my heart , Im very grateful to be alive, and everytime i go through the K Mart thief alarm tester I manage to set it off with the stents in my heart.

Give it away shipmate and live your senior years in better Health, and dont be Dictated too by a packet of Smokes. all the best Glenn Australia

Graham Payne
21st May 2012, 02:02 PM
All that are posting advice on the subject are so correct that it is bad for your health but like everything else there are exceptions to the rule..............

Sorry to reply with a quote,

But what Les say's is quite true about some of us older people (stress) etc, I need to work on the Grandchildren when they reach the grand age of 14+ thats when the benifits will kick in for their later life.

John Pruden
21st May 2012, 02:37 PM
i was looking at some old pathe newsreels on WW2 lads laying on stretchers shot to bits the first thing the medic did PUT A FAG IN HIS MOUTH!!!!!!.JP

Potterer
22nd May 2012, 12:50 AM
Like your other respondents I too was a heavy smoker, probably started as young as 11 or 12 (like many silly youngsters) and gradually progressed to at least 40 cigarettes a day. Over a period of nearly 40 years I tried to quit a couple of times and had minor successes of a few months and one period of 14 months without the evil weed before stupidly thinking "well just one cigarette won't hurt" - how wrong can you get, this led to full time smoking within two days! In truth I liked smoking most of the time (as with any addiction it became totally a routine habit) but I became aware of the occasions when I had not really enjoyed the cigarette and started to recognise the truth that my wife's remarks on smokers cough, the constant stink of my breath/clothes/house due to smoking and the need to re-decorate much more frequently due to my habit needed to be resolved.

I quit not by any big determination that I could actually win, but simply kept my target small - "I won't keep any cigarettes in the house or car and will try not to smoke today". After succeeding one day I tried the next (ably assisted by frequent wine gums or polo mints). This led to a week, then a month etc etc. I'm now nearly 17 years without a cigarette - and in my head I'm still a smoker - but just one who has chosen not to today! Is it easy to do - NO IT'S BLOODY DIFFICULT - but the rewards are many if you decide to give it a go - to become a smoker who doesn't smoke today (just one day at a time). Food and wine become increasingly pleasurable ( but like smoking resist the temptation to over indulge by substituting one addiction with another!), breathing and exercise become easier, you will regain a sense of smell and taste you had forgotten you used to have, you will smell better to others, stained fingers and teeth will disappear to be replaced with clean digits and ivories. And hey you may become attractive to your partner again and your sex life be re-ignited (ok it's a long shot but you never know!). Work out the real financial saving of not smoking. Work out the life you will be saving will be your own.

A final thought - I watched a friend die with lung cancer ( he never lived long enough to get his pension) and the most horrific memory was holding his hand whilst he actually coughed up pieces of his lungs like little pieces of bloody chopped liver. My own brother also died of the same disease aged 57, my father at 72. Despite these events I quit not because anyone told me, nagging probably had little or no effect either - I stopped because my intelligence finally kicked in that I should at least try. I kept my expectations within reason (just one day at a time) and recognised the danger of having just the one cigarette!

I hope you try and even more I hope you succeed.

Best wishes
Neil Bond (potterer)

Red Lead Ted
22nd May 2012, 01:30 AM
My misses is addicted to CORONATION ST/ EASTENDER,S/ HOLYHOKES/EMERDALE FARM/JEREMY KYLE/COME DANCING/ X FACTOR/BRITAINS GOT TALENT/ She would never get the time to run out for a pack of ciggy,s if she smoked so there you go Graham get addicted to that load of crap and you cracked it. This post although light hearted is also a serious one people are addicted to mars bars, jelly babies, and of course tv, which is also bad for your health. {SEX} if you like that sort of thing :p:p............Me i am sticking to my 3 pans of scouse a week and hopefully some nice weather and walks to enjoy not that i will get very far after my 3 pans of scouse ????? i will give you all a tip for a long and healthy life............... NEVER WORRY. what will be will be. There are beutiful young kids that die of cancer every day they wouldn,t know what a ciggy tasted like. Live each day as if it was your last,:thumbsup: one day you will be right Regards all Terry.

---------- Post added at 02:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 AM ----------

The chart reflects averages and norms....

You forgot 21 m8, You could step into the path of a taxi tomorrow instant curtains{ Study anytime} Not knocking your post m8 very interesting i just genuinely think, The more you worry about something the worse it gets Regards Charl.. Terry.

Charlie Hannah
22nd May 2012, 02:20 AM
Terry to step in front of a taxi here were i live you would have to stand still and wait for hours for one.Only one in town.fall asleep waiting.

Glenn Baker
22nd May 2012, 03:26 AM
Does anyone remember those terrible films about some one waiting to executed for some vile crime, whether it was the Electric chair or the Hangmans rope, they always offered that last Cigarette, its a wonder the Ciggie factories didnt advertise the Brand the poor sod smoked just before he left the Planet.

Even the Military fire-ing squads there was the last Ciggy before the Blindfold was pulled over the head, i dot think it ever achieved anything cos the poor so &so was still shot by the hail of Bullets.

Cancer is similar in many ways Ive seen nurses outside the Peter McCallum Cancer Clinic in Melbourne have a smoke before returning to the workplace, its a confusing life, my mate died riddled with it and in terrible pain. He even had to sort his own funeral out before he died a few weeks later. Stop Smoking , quit finish, dont stick one in your mouth. all the best Glenn

John Pruden
22nd May 2012, 06:03 AM
i live close to a gym and see the people jogging along the road now i can't get my head around someone running along a busy main road heart beating at full capacity lungs filling to the max and what are they breathing in CARBON MONOXIDE i have pointed this out to a few of them and they have stopped jogging along the high street? remember the American lad who started the craze of jogging dropped dead at 42????? anything and everything is good and bad for you moderation is the key slow and easy with every thing{you never see a tortoise dieing young}.JP

happy daze john in oz
22nd May 2012, 06:11 AM
Now we have the do good brigade wanting to have smoking in outside cafse made illegal. But you see them sitting there smoking away with all the fumes from the passing traffic getting mixed with the smoke, so what is the point of banning it at outside venues?

Les Woodard
22nd May 2012, 07:09 AM
Potterer that sounds something along the lines that happened to me. Was a dismal failure at giving it until one day I had a brain snap and decided to see how long I could go before the next one. For those that want to do away with them there is only one person that can help you. No matter what others say or what tricks or gadgets you try if you have not got your head around it then it is not going to happen. What about that poor sucker lying in bed gasping for a smoke before he karks it and his relatives telling him that it is no good for him. Of course it will kill you but then so will life it is not rocket science and so bloody obvious that we are getting old and of course things will go wrong so I intend to make the most of it before I to die as we all will. Be it from overindulgance or having a heart attack running away from an irate husband (which would be a good way to go)

happy daze john in oz
23rd May 2012, 07:07 AM
Would the running away be on a V8 powered Zima frame mate??

Les Woodard
23rd May 2012, 05:01 PM
Now that would be great as then I would be rich being able to afford the petrol John

Red Lead Ted
28th May 2012, 11:05 PM
Remember many old war movies were JOE Had took some lead !!!!!!!! in the battle field :eek: Know way back for him...........Last request Joe what can we do for you....................A ciggy lads zippo of course ???????? :eyes: W.T.F. Regards lads Terry.

Les Woodard
28th May 2012, 11:23 PM
Some how I do not think that the cigarettes that we used to smoke are anything like todays ones because of all the genetic modification and chemicals that they have put into them. As has just been mentioned the promotion for them in the old films was huge and I know an old salt that was in the Merch during the war told me that they would sit in the mess smoking one fag after the other to calm their nerves. We often had a chat at work about it all. Can you imagine the stress levels that those poor buggers would have had without them.

Red Lead Ted
28th May 2012, 11:42 PM
On a serious note can you believe stuff like this ever existed my how times and attertudes have changed Regards Terry.:confused:

Les Woodard
29th May 2012, 06:56 AM
If we where to believe all the BS that is thrown at us we would.

Getting up early to jog around the block

Come home and eat a slice of toast with a glass of water.

Spend the day out in the garden looking after the vegie patch.

Have lunch of fresh vegies from the garden.

Go for a long walk and do the shopping but only buying organic ****.

Go for another run around the block.

Settle down to dinner of the smallest piece of meat you can find (no not that one between your legs) with steamed veg and a glass of water.

Go to church and give thanks to some idiot that has just had meat and four veg along with a few glass's of scotch only to be given a sip of wine and a slab of paper.

Go home and have an early night to do it all again the next day.

Not for this little black duck I can tell you. If we where to listen and do what they profess we might as well give up being human and just be robots.

Much prefer waking up in the morning knowing that I am going to feel a lot better once the hangover has subsided. Not waking up knowing that this is the best I am going to feel all bloody day.

Lou Barron
5th June 2012, 01:50 AM
I think that a lot of seamen smoked during the war ciggies was very cheap from the slop chest if my memory serves me right we paid 1 shilling and sixpence for fifty cigs or two shillings for a tin of tobacco I can remember oneof our guys in the pow camp gave is rice away for a smoke he sure gave up smoking

Bob Petty
24th July 2012, 03:08 AM
I gave it up some yr ago Cigs, roll ups, pipe,loved them all, until the day I got a dose of the flue that put me in bed for a week, I felt that bad if the devil had knocked the door I would have gone with him.
When I got over the flue, said to my self, no more smokes, from that day on, food tastes great, the sex life improved,and I could run for the bus.
Give it up brother and all will be well.

happy daze john in oz
24th July 2012, 06:09 AM
Graham, as you began this post some time ago I was wondering how things are going. Pulled all your hair out, bitten finger nails to the quick, put on weight, climbed up walls. Besides all of that hwo is it now?

John Albert Evans
26th July 2012, 03:41 PM

Graham. I was a very heavy smoker started at around 13 years of age all through my Merchant Navy years and when later in the Police Force, I was in the CID for 18 years it was an occupational hazard in that job, (40 a day was not a problem) but around 1972 my wife who also smoked to a grip of me and said we have to stop smoking, I had never tried before. We both went an an accupencturist and each paid £8.00 for the treatment.
I have never smokded since that day (Neither has ny wife) The hardest thing I found was that I missed the fag between my fingers. The downsize was that I put on 2 stone in weight and have never lost it.
It was the best £8.00 each we ever spent.
Why not try it its worth a go and best of luck.

JohnAlbert Evans

Captain Kong
26th July 2012, 04:14 PM
When they gave cigarettes to survivors during WW2 most of them died.

From the records of the SS FANA a Norwegian cargo ship in WW2. she was sold to J. Bruce of Glasgow and renamed ALPERA
" were able to transfer 37 survivors to a patrol boat which had arrived from shore. Some of the survivors had died in the lifeboat after having been given a cigarette, and Fana's rescuers were later told by the doctor, who had previously served in the U.S. Navy during battles in the Pacific, that he had had the same experiences with regard to giving cigarettes to survivors; they simply died. This was thought to be caused by them having inhaled the gasses resulting from the oil covered water while swimming in it, and a cigarette after that caused their heart to stop."
So if you are on a cruise ship that sinks, Do Not HAVE A CIGGY. when you are rescued.

Brian.
"

Jim Brady
26th July 2012, 07:32 PM
Yes I was glad to give Graham advice some months ago and telling him that I had cracked it.Unfortunately I'm having some building work done at the moment and although I'm only having the odd roll I'm back on them.Once this work is finished I'l be back to the clinic!!!
Regards.
Jim.B.

Captain Kong
26th July 2012, 08:13 PM
Naughty Jim, Naughty.

Chris Allman
26th July 2012, 10:20 PM
You are feeding the nicotine devil again and he will soon grow strong and rule your life again if you dont stop.

Chris

Les Woodard
26th July 2012, 11:36 PM
Graham I think you have solved the reason that there is so much anger among passengers on airlines. Okay so there are still smokers out there and why the heck do we still insist that all area's be smoke free surely they can dedicate one area for smokers with the appropriate ventilation. We can drink alcohol and shoot up drugs even have sex (now that would really make a smoker yearn for one) and such but take out one fag and you are the worlds worse because of so many bloody reformed smokers insisting on reforming others. Face up to it there are those that have lived and are living to a ripe old age and have smoked all their lives so just because a some of us do not have the genes in our system to withstand smoking why should we condemn them.

Just want to point out that we are all different so why the feck do we insist on everyone living in a world made up of clones of ourselves. I am bloody glad that there are so many variations of the human being it is what we call living in a diverse life style and not a robotic one.

John Arton
27th July 2012, 07:13 AM
Wifey and me are both heavy smokers. My smoking led to me having a very mild stroke in 08 but I have still been unable to stop. Both of us really enjoy our ciggies and are aware of the dangers.
We have now decided to attempt to stop, not just for health reasons but also because our clothes tend to stink of stale baccy and the house needs constant cleaning. I am unhappy with the PC brigade who have forced the smokers out into the cold here in the U.K. On holiday in Portugal recently despite them supposodly having to obey the same EU rules as we do in the U.K., in restruants so long as you were eating outside (temp 30deg plus) it was o.k. for you to light up, even if there were children around.
Made me think of moving to there!
To assist us we have brought electronic ciggys called VIP where you can get filters with strength tailored to your favourite brand and I must admit first impressions seem good. Tried it last night and after one go did not feel like having a ciggy for ages.
Time will tell, just hope I don't turn into one of those avid anti-smokers who have given up the weed!
rgds
JA

Jim Brady
27th July 2012, 07:55 AM
Good luck to you John on your endeavour.
Regards.
Jim.B.