PDA

View Full Version : Kenilworth Castle information

Paula Hocking
25th August 2011, 05:57 PM
Hello.

I'm trying to research part of my family tree and my Great Grandfather (Charles William Martin). . We know he worked on the Kenilworth Castle, but we have no information on when, or whether he sereved elsewhere.

I would be grateful if anyone knows of where would be a good place to start looking as I've drawn a blank so far.

Thanks.

Keith at Tregenna
25th August 2011, 06:47 PM
We would need much more info for best results: DOB / DEATH would help much.

Any official numbers from his service / discharge book would also be of advantage.

Please offer any snippet of further info that we can work with.

Regards K.

Paula Hocking
26th August 2011, 07:22 PM
Hi Keith.

I've been asking family members for any information they have and unfortunatley all I can obtain it the following;

Born - 1868 (approx)
His occupation stated on his wedding certificate was " Cheif Merchantile Marine".
Died - 10th July 1934

We have no records of his service number or discharge papers, hence why we are having problems finding anything.

Sorry I don't have any more but I hope this small amount of infomation is something to go on.

Many Thanks.

Keith at Tregenna
27th August 2011, 12:24 AM
Would you have any idea where Charles was born?

EG:

Family History: WW1 Merchant Seamen Medal Cards

Medal Card of Martin, Charles William
Place of Birth: Devon
1868 BT 351/1

LINK: The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Search Results (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?searchtype=browserefine&query=first_name%3dcharles|last_name%3dmartin&catid=45&pagenumber=1&querytype=1&mediaarray=*)

K.

Paula Hocking
11th September 2011, 05:47 PM
Thank you Keith for your help, but as i don't know the exact date of Charles's birth, or place of birth, I cannot say if this is him, I feel that I may never find any more with such limited information. I may have to visit the national archives to do some more research in order to gain a couple more snippets of information.

I am very grateful for your interest.

Kindest regards

Paula

Keith at Tregenna
11th September 2011, 06:06 PM
Thank you Keith for your help, but as i don't know the exact date of Charles's birth, or place of birth, I cannot say if this is him, I feel that I may never find any more with such limited information. I may have to visit the national archives to do some more research in order to gain a couple more snippets of information.

I am very grateful for your interest.

Kindest regards

Paula

KEEP LOOKING IN:

In all honesty many on board will do all pos, just we get tied all over, to be honest with so much going on, may have forgot. Do back track and hopefully, remind all of your quest.

Will certainly add to the top of my list, can never promise a result, but do try.

A reminder to others, if you do not receive the expected reply, please remind us, do not nag, but recognise that you are integral in us finding info on your loved one / relative. We are mere mortals, but try hard.

Please also update with anything new that you may discover also, all helps.

K.

DeepSea
11th September 2011, 07:18 PM
The time period you are referring to, it would be better if you contact Southampton Archives who hold all the original surviving service records from 1919-1940 (all records from 1857-1918 have been destroyed) The National Archives at Kew do hold the same records, but they are held on microfiche

The records are known as the Fourth Register of Seaman's Service.

Central index of Merchant Seamen - Southampton City Council (http://www.southampton.gov.uk/s-leisure/artsheritage/history/maritimehistory/centralindex.aspx)