PDA

View Full Version : Ships Bells

George Edwards
10th August 2011, 07:57 PM
Hello everyone.
At our local golf course, we have a ships bell on the 4th hole, and nobody seems to know where it came from.
The bell is inscribed "Gladiola"
Is there a way to track where it came from?
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks folks.

Keith at Tregenna
10th August 2011, 10:43 PM
Interested to know the location of the Golf Club, speculation could involve the Saxonia (4) 1971

ex - Gladiola, 1976 purchased from Adelaide Shipping, Glasgow renamed Saxonia, 1986 sold to Tondo Shipping Corp, renamed Carina.

K.

j.sabourn
11th August 2011, 12:20 AM
Was thinking recently of Bells. When one thinks that one lived by bells on a ship as a timekeeper. That they were rung from the bridge 54 times a day, also in the engine room, lookouts if on forecastle used to answer the bridge bells to prove they were awake, and also to report on lights etc. It makes one wonder how one ever slept, I cant remember when this practice was discontinued, but have no recollection of bells being rung after the 60's on British ships. Can anyone remember when it was discontinued. Regards J.Sabourn.

j.sabourn
11th August 2011, 12:26 AM
Ref. above not referring to Bells whiskey. Cheers. J.Sabourn.

Gulliver
11th August 2011, 06:22 AM
Hello George,
Only one vessel is listed in Miramar Ship Index, and I would think this would be the correct ship.
As ship’s bells go,yours is still a comparative youngster !
As my colleague Keith at Tregenna has correctly replied, I will just fill in a few extra details.

(refrigerated cargo vessel). M.v.GLADIOLA completed Feb.2/1972 as Yard No.1004 by Aalborg Vaerft,Denmark for British owners Adelaide Shipping Co,Glasgow~ (part of the Swedish giant Salen consortium operating refrigerated ships)
Official No/Lloyds Registry 7113155
Gross Registered Tons 12,029
Length 175.3 m
Beam 22.9m
Propulsion Single screw Diesel,speed 23.5 knots
HISTORY 1976 Renamed SAXONIA under Cunard Group name.
1986 Renamed CARINA under Tondo Shipping Co. name

FATE collision off Ostend 7.7.95 . Broken up at Aliaga ,Turkey,shipbreakers.12.3.96
I can only find a picture of her as the SAXONIA.

Regards

robpage
11th August 2011, 06:58 AM
Was thinking recently of :oBells. When one thinks that one lived by bells on a ship as a timekeeper. That they were rung from the bridge 54 times a day, also in the engine room, lookouts if on forecastle used to answer the bridge bells to prove they were awake, and also to report on lights etc. It makes one wonder how one ever slept, I cant remember when this practice was discontinued, but have no recollection of bells being rung after the 60's on British ships. Can anyone remember when it was discontinued. Regards J.Sabourn.

Clan line ships often had a lump of iron , the Clan McTavish had a railway buffer , hanging by a wire , and the outgoing tailwalla ( greaser ) used to ring once at quarter to the watch end and eight times at the watch end

I bought a Schatz "Ships " chiming clock on my office wall and it rings all the bells as its chimes , eight at , 4 , 8 & 12 , then one at the half past adding one bell every half hour , nice clock "

john sutton
11th August 2011, 07:44 AM
did anyone ever "rescue" a ships clock from a liberty ship or victory ship.
The one i was on rang the bells al la ships bell
always wanted one especially when I had a yatch
john sutton

Ivan Cloherty
11th August 2011, 09:13 AM
did anyone ever "rescue" a ships clock from a liberty ship or victory ship.
The one i was on rang the bells al la ships bell
always wanted one especially when I had a yatch
john sutton

No clock, but I did rescue the Foc'le head Bell from a ship I took to the breakers at Gadani Beach in Pakistan in 1978, nobody else wanted it, not even the owners whom I was supt for, I was told its yours but why would you want it. Only those of us who actually served at sea and on a particular vessel would understand.

Bell with the inscription "Virginia 1942"

Launched 6th November1941 Lindholmens, Gothenberg
Completed 4th June 1942

Its very heavy and has pride of place in my hall, she wasn't a big ship but she had so many artefacts that we were not allowed to remove, beautiful Swedish fittings and wooden panelling that were probably burnt in the end, as I had seen other ships artefacts being burnt at this breakers, as in those days they didn't realise the value of them to antique and other markets. When I lived in Pakistan (for my sins) for a few years you could get antiques made to order so real artefacts etc had no real value. A lovely Chippendale "original" could be yours for about 30 but you had to wait 6 weeks for it to be carved!

Captain Kong
11th August 2011, 09:47 AM
My old friend Quazy Modo said " Bells made me deaf you know."
I said to him, "You should have gone on the Glenfidich then";)

robpage
11th August 2011, 12:15 PM
The engine room clock , mechanical variety always got wound at the end of the 8 - 12 on a Sunday , cost you a case of Beer if you forgot and the clock stopped .

George Edwards
11th August 2011, 02:37 PM
Hello again folks.
Thank you so very much for all your replies.
The golf course in question, where the bell is situated, is Kirriemuir Golf Course, in Angus, which is approx 15 miles north of Dundee, and 6 miles west of Forfar.
An old seafarer asked me if I could find out where the bell came from, and with all your brilliant help, I can now tell him.
I was in the merchant navy for 3 years, serving on the QE1, Qeen Mary1, and the NZ Company.
Now that I have found this site, I will visit more often.
Thank you all again.

Pete Leonard (Bruno)
11th August 2011, 03:46 PM
Ships Bells JSabourn

I was a little saddened to know that the sounding of the bells had been discontinued. The most amusing story I heard about this practice concerned the foc'sle head lookout. The bridge would sound their bell and the lookout would answer with his bell on the foremast. He would then walk from one side to the other to check on the navigation lights and hail the bridge with "lights are bright" and the officer of the watch would reply "thank you". But if the weather was a bit rough and windy the lads would call out anything that sounded like "lights are bright" The favourite one was "up you pipe" "thank you"

Keith at Tregenna
11th August 2011, 05:14 PM
Gladiola; 46 tons; Registred at Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada. Registration no. 100478.

On the 9th January 1950, Gladiola ran aground, off Cape Auguet, Isle Madame.

K.

j.sabourn
13th August 2011, 03:05 AM
Bruno, know what you mean. I suppose it may have been discontinued when there was no helmsman there to strike. It was always with great relish when 1 bell was struck, the next 15 minutes used to be anxiously hoping your relief had not slept in. Never saw lookouts on forecastle also after the 60"s. In the earlier days Radar was considered unreliable and most Masters would not let it be used. However nowadays nearly all the modern day watchkeepers put their total reliance on, goes against all the rules and regulations we were brought up with. Same as the present day GPS systems, anyone could find their way around the world now, always makes me wonder what all the fuss is about when you read about such and such circumnavigating the globe. Doesnt take any skills as such. Only the endurance of probably being alone in a small craft, a lot of people would not consider this any hardship as such, as may prefer their own company. Cheers J.Sabourn

Bev Summerill
13th August 2011, 08:29 PM
The best bells at sea was 4 bells rum which I was always testing the quality

Bev summerill

Keith at Tregenna
13th August 2011, 08:59 PM
Hello everyone.
At our local golf course, we have a ships bell on the 4th hole, and nobody seems to know where it came from.
The bell is inscribed "Gladiola"
Is there a way to track where it came from?
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks folks.

Any chance you could take a couple of pics and attach out of interest.

Thanks K.

j.sabourn
14th August 2011, 04:16 AM
George, Hope they got an old time seaman to put a decent Bell Rope on. Cant be many left now. regards J. Sabourn

Capt Bill Davies
14th August 2011, 09:44 PM
The BF men amongst the membership will recall an anomaly with the foc'sle lookout reporting ships.
One to Port, Two to Stbd and Three dead ahead.

Trader
14th August 2011, 11:30 PM
The BF men amongst the membership will recall an anomaly with the foc'sle lookout reporting ships.
One to Port, Two to Stbd and Three dead ahead.

Remember it well Bill. Why did they have to be different ?.

Alec.

Capt Bill Davies
15th August 2011, 05:02 PM
Remember it well Bill. Why did they have to be different ?.

Alec.

Alec,

I don't really know. Everywhere else in the British Merchant Navy a Samson post was a Samson post but in the BF it was a column. There were many BF peculiarities.

Brgds

Bill

Trader
15th August 2011, 05:23 PM
And cabins were always called "rooms"

Alec.

Capt Bill Davies
15th August 2011, 07:16 PM

Alec.

And old habits die hard Alec, It is 50 years ago last March I left the BF but still refer to cabins as rooms. This is a coincidence as just prior to my previous post on this thread I replied to John Sabourne on the Capt Leslie Wild thread and I referred to a cabin as a room therein and thought that some might comment only to find your reference to this very BF peculiarity.

Brgds

Bill

George Edwards
17th August 2011, 08:21 PM
Will do Keith, Give me a week, and I will post it up

John Callon
17th August 2011, 08:50 PM

Alec.

Same thing in Bibbys Alec and Bill - cabins always referred to as rooms.
John

George Edwards
10th September 2011, 07:30 PM
Gentlemen, Thank you for all your replies, even though some of them were under the influence when written. lol.
I now have the information of said bell "Gladiola" and the Golf club secretary is going to mount the information and picture in the clubhouse.
Sorry I could not get back to you all before this, as I have been a little under the weather of late. Am going for an operation this week, so
until I return, fair wind and weather to you all.
George

Keith at Tregenna
10th September 2011, 08:21 PM
THANKS FOR TELLING US:

Pleased with the update and await all news and pic's.

Cheers. K.

E.Martin
11th September 2011, 10:25 AM
Point of interest regarding Ships Bells,I read some where that when a Royal Navy ship go to the scrap yard
the bell always go to the first CO.