PDA

View Full Version : Form CRS8

ROSS PHINN
10th August 2011, 07:01 AM
G'day folks

Still researching my father Duncan Clark, Marine Rngineer with Clan Line up to Dec1940.

I have his Continuous Certificate of Discharge which ends on 16/10/1940 when he signs off the Berwickshire and then disappears from the land of printed records !

It has been suggested that he was invalided out, in which case I would have expected to find a Form CRS8 or other record of his movement. I have looked at the documents in the National Archive and Southampton but can find no trace of him or the form CRS8.

Can someone please enlighten me about these forms ?

Regards

Ross

Doc Vernon
10th August 2011, 07:34 AM
Hello Ross
Dont know if the following Link may help at all!
And as far as rge CRS8 is concerned ,well to be honest i havent yet heard of it! But it may well have existed or still may exist!??
CRS10 Yes!
Cheers

Merchant seamen: sea service records 1913-1972 | The National Archives (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/merchant-seamen-sea-service-1913-1972.htm#16890)

After searching a bit,i now see that indeed there is such a form!
Sorry!

CRS 8 "Services No Longer Required"
or (Cessation of Seagoing Service)

Here is a complete list!
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/merchant-seamen-RGSS-register-abbreviations.htm

DeepSea
10th August 2011, 10:53 AM
Have you checked to see if his Seaman's Pouch still exists at Kew as this would probably hold the CRS-8 Card. If not what is his date and place of birth and Discharge Book No. and we can check online. The CRS-8 Card itself would not particularly hold a lot of information, just a brief mention of the reason he was discharged.

ROSS PHINN
11th August 2011, 12:41 AM
Many thanks for that. His Seamans' pouch does not exist at Kew. I think I have exhausted the information at both Kew and the Southampton Archives, but I'm not sure of all the documents that they possess.

His name was Duncan Clark, born Millport 16/09/11 Discharge No. R178567.

All I'm trying to find is the reason for discharge and any assistance will be gratefully received

Regards

Ross

Hugh
13th March 2015, 06:27 PM
Hello Ross,

CRS8 details will be entered into his CRS 10 if it has survived. Do you have his CRS 10 from the National Archives, if not I will give you the file reference later when I have more time?

Regards
Hugh