PDA

View Full Version : Sal boats

Wully Farquhar
20th October 2008, 08:13 PM
Hello there,Must be someone out there who had sailed on the Sal boats,no bad jobs they were.:cool:

Doc Vernon
20th October 2008, 08:50 PM
Hello Benloyal,
First up may i welcome you aboard this great site!Here you will i am sure find friends that may have sailed with you,or very close anyway!
Its a very good crew here mate with lots of info and good fun at times too.
Take a seat till we fing a berth for you! Dont know if there are any Tinnies in the Fridge as Taff1i and a few others have raided it haha! We are all a bit mad!:D
Also may i ask what your First name is so as we will know!:confused:
Thank you

Is this the Ship at all?

Geoff Anderson
21st October 2008, 12:25 AM
hi ben loyal.
just to give you a warm welcome to this site. sorry we cant offer you a tinny, but were building a still. and we needed the empty tinnies to make a flue pipe.
best wishes geoff. :D

happy daze john in oz
21st October 2008, 05:32 AM
Welcome ben to the ship of dreams, no grog, Vernon sold it all to a passing mule driver in exchange for some bread, he wanted toast for breky. But pull up a pew the still is almost done.:eek:

Bob Montgomery
24th October 2008, 11:35 PM
I was lucky enough to get on the last Sal boat "SALVINA" we were out for 8 months then she was sold from under us ....... could have stayed on her for ever great crowd ...conditions just an overall great job ...she became the Dawn Grandeur and a few other name changes happy days right enough i sailed on a lot of great ships but she was the best Backsplice

Doc Vernon
25th October 2008, 03:49 AM
Hello Backslice!
Just a wram welcome to this site,hope you have a long and enjoyable stay here with us.
You can look to see if there are ant cold Tinnies left,but i doubt it hah!:)
Cheers

PS Please see your PMessage!
Thanks

Gulliver
25th October 2008, 04:20 AM
Hi! Backsplice and/or Ben Loyal/(Don't say Ben Dover-not on this site!)

I met the SALVADA in the next drydock to us in Osaka,Japan in 70( 2 fantastic weeks there,and Expo 70 was on!. Even then in Japan a beer cost about a quid! Paid off with Zero(again!)
Nice looking Cargo ship,the Salvada,and I remember the lads on her were O.k too.

Let,s hear it for Salvesons then!

Cheers,Davey;)

happy daze john in oz
25th October 2008, 05:01 AM
G'day Backsplice, welcome to the ship of dreams, and some nightmares, grab a cold one, sit back nad enjoy, never know who you may meet.:eek:

Geoff Anderson
25th October 2008, 07:07 AM
Hi Backsplice.
another warm welcome. to our ship of mystery. welcome again.
best wishes Geoff.

alf corbyn
26th October 2008, 11:04 AM
Hi Backsplice I see that you are just down the road from me in the Central Coast and I am just near Newcastle. Are you related to Short, Eye, Long and short splice as they where all on the FIDdle as far as I Know. Anyway just thought that there are starting to become a few of us residing in NSW as Vernon is in Penrith and I always thought that there must be more of us around here than we thought. Les
hi ben/loyal and backsplice. welcome to the site. hi les are they any relation to west country whipping or the west diamond krupper knot?. cheers. alf

Duke Drennan
26th October 2008, 01:29 PM
I sailed on the Salvada in '66/'67, best boat I ever sailed on. After an incident in Immingham, near Hull, with the crew of the Clan McGilevary, we took on a local crew from Hull and went on to have a great trip. Went to New York and Nova Scotia and then on through the canal to Oz and Peru etc etc. Had a load of fun in the 9 months I was on her. Often wonder what direction my life might have taken had I not paid off eventually in Rotterdam. Posted a pic of her in the gallery.
Duke

Gulliver
26th October 2008, 07:32 PM
:)Hi Duke!(I've resisted the John Wayne jokes).Thanks for posting that SALVADA pic.in The Gallery.Pictures of ships don't really turn me on all that much-but seeing as I was next to her in drydock as mentioned I've downloaded/saved her pic,as she is part of my history.She looks even better under way than in the drydock (Not Always the case!).Typical Norwegian-built ship.According to Miramar: www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/243835 she was still around as late as 1999.

Cheers! Davey

Bob Montgomery
29th October 2008, 08:41 AM
hello Gulliver .....the "Salvada " was sold not long after that and several of the crew after flying home from Hong Kong joined the "Salvina" with me we flew to Singapore (Sembawang drydocks ) then returned to the same and handed her over a wee bit sad that day still we have our memories???

terryh
15th December 2008, 01:33 AM
Hi Ben ,I only sailed on Salvesens ships , the first was the Southern Satillite,,did three trips on her twice down to the whaling station Leith Harbour also to the gulf and Japan , then was on the Tronda ,a little coaster that went to and fro to Norway and also the next ship the Glitra which did the same thing , I then joined the Saldura in Sweden on her maiden trip , ( a 15 month trip ) I then joined the Salvada also in Sweden on her maiden trip , ( 13 month ) best regards terry

malk
23rd January 2009, 12:48 AM
Hi,'
my late father John Phillips, worked for Salvesen in the 60's and 70's latterly as Ch. Engineer. He was out on the japanese coast a lot of the time and I recall him mentioning a number of 'Sal' boats such as the Saldana and Saldura. He also left a lot of movie footage taken on these boats. he later went on to work for Canadian pacific before retiring.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who knew him.
many thanks, Malcolm Phillips

Evan Lewis
23rd January 2009, 03:50 AM
Used to see the Salvesens ships at Leith,In particular the Polar Chief and Polar Maid .Many of the Leith Pool signings would have been on them at one time or another.Apparently they used also to take the Shore workers down to South Georgia.For I think .a nine months Stint?
Sad,the only times I see the name now is on a vehicle charging up and down the U.K. Motorways.Sometimes ,close at hand ,a P&O or Blue Star vehicle. Seems the requirement now to work with those outfits is to obtain the H.G. V.: "Trucks that pass in the nigh!."At least the names are continued.Which is something.

alangoodbrand
8th April 2009, 02:33 AM
Hi there benloyal, my first trip to sea was on the salmela in 1965 on the great lakes run. Then was on the saldura, from the continent to east coast of the states & mexican gulf to the middle east via suez.then on the salvina on the lakes run again. Joined the salmela again for a 9 monther,tramping all over the shop. Spain through panama to japan,on charter to mitsui osk lines. On down to hong kong, singapore then east africa. Back then to the far east then down to aussie where i got the sack in sydney after a bender on the doctor penfolds. Happy days. They were great ships, wild bunch of guys. See you were a ben boat man.i was on the `vrackie, the lomond, the `dearg,the `gloe and a couple of others. They were grand ships as well with great crews.
The good old days, eh.

Phil Crawley
8th April 2009, 07:38 AM
I did five months in Salvesons Logna march/july, 1961 it seemed like five minutes, great little ship and crowd loads of little hole in the wall ports in the Fiords, applied to go in the whaling fleet for the experience, but that was the last season.

salvina
19th August 2009, 02:42 PM
Hi to all, I have just rediscovered this site after joining it over a year ago. I sailed as lecky on the Salvina. Joined her new in the builders yard at Oskarsham Sweden, down to Karlskronna naval yard for trials then off for a very happy year on her. We were looking for a 2 year trip but we came back to uk (avonmouth) and paid off there. Great ship, great crowd, all scots except for one welsh AB and 1 scouse J/E. :)

happy daze john in oz
20th August 2009, 06:37 AM
Salvina, welcome back to the best site on the net. Any ships and dates? If you post them you may well get replies from some who knew you. So while you wait sit back with a cold one and enjoy the voyage:eek:

Wilfred Unwin
24th September 2009, 10:24 AM
Hi everyone Iwas with salvevsons My first ship was called THE STRUAN I joind her in newcastle in 1950 she was a hartlepool jeep We sailedto south gergia to lieth hourber we hit bad weather crossing the bay of bisguay it took five days and all together 5 weeks to georgia. We was there for the season. Then I joined the ship SOUTHERN ALANTIC in brolyn dry doc we sailed to south geogia and was running between leith harbour and ARUBA carring oiland I did 2 trips on her I joined her onJULY1951-AUG 1952 I hope one of my ship mates reed this WILFRED UNWIN.

john brownlie
20th November 2009, 12:19 PM
hi wully i was on the salvada in 1967

Duke Drennan
26th November 2009, 04:03 PM
I paid off the Salvada in Antwerp on Apr '67. When did you join her John and where did you go on her?

john ellis
29th January 2010, 05:25 PM
hi I was on Tana 1954 Glitra 1955 and saldanha in 62. Cabin boy on the first and assistant steward on the last hope to here fro m you

happy daze john in oz
30th January 2010, 05:25 AM
G'day John E and welcome to the best site in town. Do you have a list of ships you sail;ed on maybe with some dates? If you do and care to post them you may well get to hear from some who knew you. So sit back with a cold one and enjoy the voyage.:eek:

Ronnie Grant
31st January 2010, 02:05 AM
Hi Wullie,#1 I joined the Salmela in Capetown about 64/65 along with a new chief cook called Harry Brown. Never found out what happened to the two previous cooks. Captain Jim Rendall.Paid off in Bremen eight or nine months later.
Terry#14. When were you on the Satellite mate? I did the 58/59 season on her Captain Spence. John Hanlon and David Barclay stewards. Stan Ross chief cook. Polson from the Shetlands.
Most of the Salmela crew were ex whalers and what wild bunch they were. Ah the memories. Regards Ronnie

Willie MacPhail
10th February 2010, 12:35 AM
Hello all.
Just stumbled on this site. Brilliant!! I was a 1st trip pantry boy on Salvada. Joined her straight from the sea school in Gravesend and flew to Los Angeles to sign on, date was 6th Nov 1970. Ship was on charter to a Mexican Co, MTM. Sailed down the Mexican coast as far as Acapulco then back up to Ensenada calling into every little port in between. From there to Japan, arriving on 23rd Dec so Xmas and New Year in Port. Stayed on her till 28th Dec 1971 when we were paid off in Hong Kong. Salvada was handed over to Chinese owners then. Happy days with a mainly Scots crew. Can remember a few names,
Eric Bridges (Edinburgh) was Asst steward, L.T. Smith (Aberdeen) and Henry Hebson (Edinburgh) on deck . Great memories to keep me going in middle age!! Does any of this ring a bell with anybody out there.

Doc Vernon
10th February 2010, 12:48 AM
Hi John Ellis
Willie
MacPhail

Wilfred
Unwin

Terryh

Malcolm Phillips

alangoodbrand
and

John Brownlie
Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
So sit back,relax and just enjoy the trip!
Hope we will have you here for a long time!
A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!
Cheers

Also"

If you would like to join in and have your Full name R Number and First Ship
Included in the Flag project then please pass it on to Mike Hall who is doing a Main Flag for all
to be displayed some time in one of the UK Museums!
Thank you

Please go to following Link and follow instructions there
When page opens Click on Contact info on Right and on dropdown list select
Send a message via Email to Mike Hall

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/member.php?u=8

Alternatively you can send your details to me as well and i will pass them on to Mike for you
Thanks

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/member.php?u=18

If any new Members (or old) would like more info on the Flag Projects please click on the following Link!
Thank you

http://www.merchant-navy.net/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=558

mikecm
10th September 2010, 05:07 PM
Hi Wully, I was 3rd Mate on Salvina from Feb to Oct 1968 when most of the crowd were from Shetland.Skipper was Magnus Scott.Not a bad ship but the cook should have stayed in the army.
Best from Mike Mackay

Duke Drennan
17th September 2010, 05:17 PM
Hello all.
Just stumbled on this site. Brilliant!! I was a 1st trip pantry boy on Salvada. Joined her straight from the sea school in Gravesend and flew to Los Angeles to sign on, date was 6th Nov 1970. Ship was on charter to a Mexican Co, MTM. Sailed down the Mexican coast as far as Acapulco then back up to Ensenada calling into every little port in between. From there to Japan, arriving on 23rd Dec so Xmas and New Year in Port. Stayed on her till 28th Dec 1971 when we were paid off in Hong Kong. Salvada was handed over to Chinese owners then. Happy days with a mainly Scots crew. Can remember a few names,
Eric Bridges (Edinburgh) was Asst steward, L.T. Smith (Aberdeen) and Henry Hebson (Edinburgh) on deck . Great memories to keep me going in middle age!! Does any of this ring a bell with anybody out there.

Hi Willie,
I sailed on her in '65-'66, best I was ever on and a great crowd, mainly Scots and Humberside lads. I posted a few pics of her in the gallery.

Robert Kerr
25th February 2011, 04:14 PM
salmela i was on that trip chartered to mitsui the old man lived in eyemouth orginally shetland
i was a bad boy V.N.C.

Ronnie Grant
6th September 2011, 05:20 AM
hi hoping to find someone who was on the Salmela 1964. We took a famine cargo of rice from Lake Charles to India among other places. Captain Jim Rendall. Ronnie (Roy) Sommerford was my go ashore mate but he was killed a few years later in NZ,(I think he jumped here). He left behind a baby girl and recently I found her, now a grown woman. She did not even know Roy had been in the MN. I would love to hear from anyone on that trip that maybe able to tell a story about him and a photograph would be priceless. Thank you .Ronnie

Robert Kerr
11th October 2011, 12:58 PM
hi there me old fart mad rab here from prestonpans nice to here from you

Ronnie Grant
12th October 2011, 12:31 AM
HI Rob from springtime NZ.Were you on Salmela same time as me mate? What did you do and do you remember Ronnie (Roy) Sommerford. We paid off in Bremen and flew in a ramshackle twin engined thing to Turnhouse.Ronnie lived up the Milton road but he stayed at my place in Edinburgh road because his folks were TT and we were all legless.. As an aside, I here the Woodside is boarded up and my favourite boozer, Marshalls at the town hall has gone. Any idea how to send private emails on this site? Regards Ronnie.

Bill Law
25th November 2011, 01:30 AM
Hi all, I need your help. I am trying to track down some old shipmates / photos for my Dad as a surprise for him. I have very limited information, so I am really hoping someone out there can help; this is what I have;
My Dads name: William (Bill) Law
Ship: M.V. SALVINA
When: Joined after his navy training on 24th Feb 1964 until he got leave in Hamburg Germany on 3rd June 1965
Ship Captain: The Captain of Salvina was D.Archibauld (a stonch Hearts football supporter I believe)

PLEASE let me know if you can help me by e-mail

mackay
5th April 2012, 12:55 PM
Hello there,Must be someone out there who had sailed on the Sal boats,no bad jobs they were.:cool:

DAVE MACKAY ; E.D.H.
sailed on the salmela with leith crew . Joined her in KARLSKRONA SWEDEN.
22/3/61/--21/3/1963 About 10 off us did the full trip

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

Dave mackay e.d.h
joined her in karlskrona sweden . With george jack ;bertie tate; allan kennedy (cook)
bob watson (now deceased) mackay the electrician. The taffys joined in liverpool
george macpherson .mixed crew leith and shetlands

mackay
13th April 2012, 08:25 PM
dave mackay here signed on the salmela 22/3/61---21/march/1963 joined her in sweden on maiden voyage with leith and sheltie crew
had great time and only ten of us did full two years george jack george macpherson bertie tate alan kenndy chiefcook weegordon the chippy
electrician mackay and the two taffys who joined in liverpool
after that the whole world

edward bain
10th September 2012, 03:38 PM
.I was on the salmela 1964 joined the ship in the bahamas with bryce henderson.
iwas also on the salvada,saldura,saldanha,{went on fire in chicago}then went to rottedam for repair and rejoined ship after the repair.

Duke Drennan
11th September 2012, 01:10 AM
Was on the Salvada '66-'67. There's a couple of pics of her in the gallery.

edward bain
27th May 2013, 12:29 PM
Hi Ronnie I was on the salmela in 64 we joined in the Bahamas myself and Bryce Henderson.(chief cook)then as you know sailed to Bombay,then new year in goa.we paid of in Emden Germany 1965.

Ronnie Grant
28th May 2013, 04:02 AM
Hi Eddy, I was on that trip. We were coming from Lake charles Louisiana with a cargo of rice for India. I remember Bryce Henderson got on well with him, I was second cook. The only Eddy I recall on that ship was on deck, JOS, EDH, was that you ? Any pictures mate? Ronnie.

Ronnie Grant
8th August 2013, 10:03 AM
Come on Eddie Ronnies daughter needs to know something however minor.

Dennis Scott
14th May 2014, 09:37 PM
They were great ships Bill good feeders as well.:cool:

Dennis Scott
15th May 2014, 08:08 PM
I sailed on the Salvada in '66/'67,. Posted a pic of her in the gallery.
Duke

Hi Duke, were you on deck on the Salvada I was one of the unfortunate ones that landed in jail after that fight, I was inside for 8 months managed to get back to sea October 1968 with the new Zealand shipping company, hope fully I will hear back from you Ta.

robpage
15th May 2014, 08:11 PM
It seems odd that it was the Clan Mcgillivray , I was sure they were Bangladeshis and normally very docile

Michael Massarelli
1st December 2014, 10:04 PM
hi I was on the salmela maiden voyage joined her in Liverpool as first trip deckboy at 15yrs old and we were out for a long 2 years typical sal boats I heard later, I do remember some of the crew and have photos all scotts great crowd. I alwys think of the bosun when I first met in in the mess HUGH MURRY from Shetland he had big hands like shovels I could go on for a long time abt that voyage but I haven't heard from any of the crowd since , we paid off in hull march 1963 wee taff they called me

Michael Massarelli
3rd December 2014, 09:54 PM
hi dave mackay I joined the salmela in l/pool ,I was wee taff,(deck boy ) big taff was from Anglesey,jos I have a couple of photos of you and others of the crew we were the two taffs who did the full 2 yrs, I remember all you name and will dig out photos, do you remember three or four of us shaving our heads in japan, good crowd ,

Michael Massarelli
3rd December 2014, 10:14 PM
dave mackay here
after that the whole worldhi dave im wee taff deckboy first trip on salmela one of the taffs who did the full voyage joined in Liverpool I have some photos I must dig them out , nice to see the names of shipmates on that trip.

Duke Drennan
28th May 2016, 02:07 AM
Hi Dennis,
I was surprised to read your post, I haven't been on the site for a few years. Reading your post, I remember your name and the incident very well. Pity you missed the trip on the Salvada, she was a really good ship. I was on deck on her, O.S. I was recently thinking about her and the short voyage we did before going to Immingham. I remember we joined her in Antwerp, went to Hamburg and through the Kiel Canal, to where I can't remember, maybe Bremen. Can you recall that part of the trip?
Duke.

Anyway, hope you are doing OK these days.

Doc Vernon
29th May 2016, 05:47 AM
A very Hearty welcome back here Duke!
Nice to see you on form again mate!
Take Care
Cheers

Duke Drennan
29th May 2016, 10:54 AM
Thanks Vern. Lots of new names and a growing membership, good to see.
Take care mate.

Alex Hood
28th August 2017, 03:33 PM
Hi Edward,

Sorry I haven't picked up your post before this but I have come to this site quite late and still learning to navigate it. I was on Salmela in '64 and remember being in The Bahamas. I also remember Bryce Henderson. I was Galley Boy at the time and was there during the infamous Battle of The Galley when the then Chief Cook Jake Burgess took on the Bosun and then had to jump ship with the 2nd cook. I don't remember too many of the crew names so if you pick this up after all this time let me know what you did on board. My two mates on that trip were Wullie Sharp in the Officers Pantry and Dennis Deans as Engine Boy. Hope this reaches you ok. Alex Hood