PDA

View Full Version : Mine sweepers - WW2

Daniel Beale
20th July 2011, 01:11 PM
Hi all, my grandad was a stoker on a mine sweeper in the MN during WW2. All I have is his name (Edwin Jolly) and a B&W photo of him. I have no idea where to start. Can any body help please????:)

E.Martin
20th July 2011, 06:31 PM
Hi all, my grandad was a stoker on a mine sweeper in the MN during WW2. All I have is his name (Edwin Jolly) and a B&W photo of him. I have no idea where to start. Can any body help please????:)

If your grandad was on a Minesweeper he was not Merchant Navy.
He would most likely to have been in the Royal Naval Patrol Service.
Get in touch with RNPS they might be able to help you.
Have you any ship names?.

Ivan Cloherty
20th July 2011, 07:58 PM
If your grandad was on a Minesweeper he was not Merchant Navy.
He would most likely to have been in the Royal Naval Patrol Service.
Get in touch with RNPS they might be able to help you.
Have you any ship names?.

I think you will find that many trawlers in WW1 and WWII were requisitioned by the War Department to act as minesweepers, these were manned by a mixture of trawlermen, Merchant Seamen and Royal Navy personnel.

I sailed (after the war) on the trawler. "Swanland" which served her country in both World Wars as a mine sweeper. nearly 50% of the Hull fishing fleet were requisitioned as either armed patrol boats or minesweepers manned by a mixture of personnel.

Ivan

Keith at Tregenna
20th July 2011, 09:00 PM
The paddle steamer Barry and many more operated as Mine Sweepers and troop carriers etc in both major conflicts. The Barry was renamed HMS Barryfield in WW1 and lost as the HMS Snaefell in WW2. I still search for full info and crew lists from then.

K.