Booker Venture February 1962

Northumbrian Prince June 1962

Mystic October 1962

Got married and left the Service

G.P.Telephones 1962 - 1973

Electrolux Ltd 1973 - 2005

Sandy Kelman
6th August 2014, 08:13 AM
Hi, Geoff. I joined the Baron Ogilvy ( Baron Ugly to us) in Greenock, Glasgow a bit later than your trip, as a junior engineer. The Chief Steward was a ginger-haired guy from Helensburgh on the Clyde. All the engineers were from Partick, including myself. Charlie Brennan from Whyte Street, another junior. The crew were all from Greenock, a wild bunch too. 5 or 6 of them paid off injured (war wounds on the way to) Capetown. We had a boilermaker called Ray, who mixed orange juice with McEwans in the can. He was English. Had an element in a bucket of dhobi permanently bubbling away in his cabin. Stinking, it was. What a motley crew! Perhaps some of that lot were on board when you sailed on there later? The Chief, Second and Third engineers were all ancient (to my way of thinking in my young days). There was a young peggy nicknamed Speedie whom I then met again when I joined my next ship, the William M. Curry, lying at the National Gypsum Company's dock in Halifax, Nova Scotia. When I hailed him as Speedie, he quickly hushed me up as he was known by his own name then.

Doc Vernon
6th August 2014, 09:42 PM
Hello Geoff
Thanks for listing your Ships and other info,all adds to the ever growing list here!
Hope you will have an ejoyable stay here with us all!
Relax and peruse the site!
Cheers