PDA

View Full Version : New to site

Steve Leach
14th July 2011, 01:51 PM
Dont know if anybody can assist me, worked at sea for several years as an AB, left to work shoreside approx 15 yrs ago, now looking to return to sea but obviously Certs are out of date etc, can anybody provide me with ideas/guidance as to getting back to sea etc, many thanks.

Doc Vernon
14th July 2011, 10:02 PM
Hi Steve
Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
Here you will find lots of info,a good Crew here and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
So sit back grab a Tinny,relax and just enjoy the trip!
Hope we will have you here for a long time! Have a happy stay!

Cheers

Vernon (castleman)

Do you still have your Seamans ID and Discharge Book!
If not this would be a staret to get replacements!
Hope this helps!
Cheers
http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/msf4509.pdf

Steve Leach
15th July 2011, 07:33 AM
Many thanks Vernon
Still have my Discharge book and I am in the process of scanning all my certificates etc and sending them to MCA who have been very helpful, they have said they will then let me know what training I need to undergo prior to applying to any companies. I do understand that I have been shoreside for a number of years but Ime sure that you and fellow members will know all too well that its something that gets in your blood and whilst I am still fit and healthy then I want to make the most of it. So if any of the members have any leads or advice then please feel free as I know there is a lot of expertease out there
Many thanks
Steve

Dennis McGuckin
15th July 2011, 08:49 PM
Can't help Steve, but good luck.
Like most on site, whish I could do the same.
Den.

Ivan Cloherty
16th July 2011, 08:16 AM
Hi Steve

Did see in one of the Broadsheets recently that Cunard were looking for crews, may be worth a punt on their website, if you haven't already done so, they could do with some experienced seamen on board

All the best in your endeavours

Ivan

Steve Leach
19th July 2011, 08:59 AM
Ivan
Many thanks for that, I am just in the process of getting some advice regarding from MCA regarding updating quals etc, thanks for the feedback and you can rest assured I will look into it asap

Steve

Steve Leach
6th August 2011, 07:24 PM
Many thanks to all who have offered advice etc, been told by MCA that all quals are still relevant which is good news, just got to now find a company that would offer a berth to someone who hasnt been to sea for several years, all positive stuff tho and made some good contacts through this excelllent forum, if anybody else has any positive input I would be grateful to hear it, once again many thanks