PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Finn

Louis the Amigo
29th June 2011, 05:29 PM
Hi shipmates, I was talking to an old shipmate a while back he was as a young boy at sea in 1962, he took a trip ashore and was tempted to have a local brew??? in mexico he cant remember the por,t but it drove him crazy he ended up in a strait jacket on the ship, out off his mind got flown home Captains orders anyone know what this evil brew was called? did any one come across it? He is still teetoal after all these years and has flash backs

captain gordon whittaker
30th June 2011, 08:36 AM
Probably Mescal, distilled from Mesquite. Very transcendental, allegedly !

Louis the Amigo
30th June 2011, 05:28 PM
Hi Captain Gordon, Hi Tony, Hi shipmates, The drink my shipmate had could be that one is it made out of catus juice? After what happen to him he only did one trip at sea {Never Again he told me} There were made strange drinks around the world? The one you were drinking Tony could be the stuff with the crystals in the bottle, on straw drink the bottle, and fill with water and you get a free one? after you drink water you get drunk again, I think I must have drunk some strange brews in many places' palm stuff? but cant remember much but had a great time I am sure many on this site have drunk many evil drinks like me?:confused:

rob mcc
30th June 2011, 10:53 PM
is that taff pead at the back of your photo

happy daze john in oz
1st July 2011, 06:07 AM
Hi Captain Gordon, Hi Tony, Hi shipmates, The drink my shipmate had could be that one is it made out of catus juice? After what happen to him he only did one trip at sea {Never Again he told me} There were made strange drinks around the world? The one you were drinking Tony could be the stuff with the crystals in the bottle, on straw drink the bottle, and fill with water and you get a free one? after you drink water you get drunk again, I think I must have drunk some strange brews in many places' palm stuff? but cant remember much but had a great time I am sure many on this site have drunk many evil drinks like me?:confused:

There was a drink, think it may have been part of the Ouzo family, with crystals in the bottle and if you added water you had another bottle next day. Also with some of them you could get as high as a kite next morning just by drinkng some water.

Tony Wilding
1st July 2011, 09:17 PM
Was outward bound on mv riebeeck castle, stopped at las palmas for bunkers, all i can remember is having 1 drink at a bar i think on the quay, close to the ship, next thing i remember is waking up on a ship, a liberty with an african crew, just got down the gangway befor she sailed, somehow managed to get back aboard my ship, flaked out in my bunk for 24 hours apparently they threw buckets of water over me to wake me, but no joy, up to then had a good book, so in the bridge the next day to be logged and flogged, chief engineer wanted to give me bad report, but old man said as i had a good book he did not want to spoil it, on condition i behaved from then on. C/e not happy, but i went teetotal for the rest of that trip, got 2 vg,s;)

Gordon Turnbull
2nd July 2011, 08:28 AM
Drink was probably mescal. Made from one of the cactus family I seem to recall. Lethal, horrible horrible stuff :-) They also get mescaline from the same plant I believe but never tried that.
The number of times I told people about the bottles with the crystals in them that gave you another bottle when filled with water is unbelieveable. I don't think anybody ever believed me.
I was once slipped a Mickey in the Navvies Den in Capetown. Woke up next morning around lunch time with Commodare, surgeon, Chief Steward, the whole bloody lot of them in my cabin. Been pumping drugs into me trying to wake me seemingly. Still got logged next day though. 2 hours overtime, 52p if I remember correctly.

Louis the Amigo
2nd July 2011, 11:41 AM
Hi shipmates any one had a few palm toddies? or any other strange brews'? The ouso like stuff with straw in the bottles came in two colours pink and yellow both were very strong ?{ keep them coming }I was not the only person at sea who like a drink , any one remember so called "Ron Barcadi} in big bottles if you set fire to it bright blue flame? south America and a green drink a spriit in La rochell france cant' recall the name? was it starboard light? or was that one we made up?:confused:

Graham Payne
2nd July 2011, 02:20 PM
Hi All
seem to remember this "Bacardi" drink, I was on the "St Thomas" a South American Saint Line ship
(circa 1965) at a port called Bahai, I think it was a island off of South America :confused: something like that, if you had a 1 note you got 5 bottles, coins only 4 bottles, seem to remember the "Coke a Cola" cost more. LONG TIME AGO THOUGH. :)

Tony Wilding
2nd July 2011, 02:26 PM
when with PSNC On the Peruvian coast so many small ports we went to, almost every other day a new one. we used buy somthing called Jugs Of Joy, ! very cheap, that gave a nasty hangover, i used to drink heavy in port, allways hung over, logged a few times, did not drink when at sea, had more hangovers than i can count, but strange thing is when back in uk i never drank, still dont. lived 2 years in Spain well inebreated every night, strange.?:confused:

Roger Dyer
2nd July 2011, 03:13 PM
Hello John (Happy Daze) and Louis,

John, I wondered if when mentioning another drink similar to Ouzo you were thinking of Anis or Anisette,
both of which used to be quite common in Spain and Portugal, probably still are. Both were sweet tasting, aniseed based, liqueurs and after a 'session' on either a glass of water the following morning would render you intoxicated once more. Wonderful value for money, but not always appreciated by an unsympathetic Bo'sun, Chief Steward or Chief Cook if you were required to 'turn to'. As I remember it, Anis was the thicker concoction of the two and had a string or straw suspended inside the bottle to which large crystals adhered. The Anisette was of a thinner consistency which I found easier to drink, but both could be quite lethal when drunk in large measure.

Louis, your mention of Ron Bacardi reminded me of long ago nights drinking too many Cuba Libra's or Fidel Castro's (both of which were other names for Bacardi Rum and Coca Cola) " go easy on the Coke por favor, Senor". If I'm not mistaken, Ron Bacardi was a product of Cuba. Other drinks I tried in those halcyon days of a misspent youth included Absinthe (which was banned in the U.K. at the time, but readily available in France), Inca Pisco ( a charming little drop from Sth.America guaranteed to render you legless in no time at all) and then there was Aguadente (literally fire-water) which is probably the most foul tasting thing I ever drank. It was also incredibly cheap and as many of us will recall there were times when needs must. During recovery mode the following day you thought you might still be alive, but weren't really sure. Even now I shudder at the memory. Can't recall ever drinking anything that left me ga-ga for longer than 24 hours, although, sometimes, it wasn't for the want of trying:D Silly, happy, young bu--ers weren't we ? Somehow we thought we were bullet-proof and going to live forever, now I'm not so sure!

.....................................cheers, Roger.

Albert Bishop
4th July 2011, 03:02 PM
You are right about Absinth being banned in the uk Roger. It was because it was thought to be an aphrodisiac. I think that is where the saying comes from, "Absinth makes the heart grow fonder." Cheers, Albi

Keith Tindell
4th July 2011, 04:39 PM
Hi guys,
I remember in the early 60`s running from Spain to Finland, we used to buy vast ammounts of Fundadore brandy, like lighter fuel, but was a good source of income from the Finns who could not get enough of it, and paid silly money. that was if you could avoid the customs in Finland, they would try and buy it of you cheaper. Ah those happy days, Keith Tindell

Tony Wilding
4th July 2011, 05:20 PM
you are right about absinth being banned in the uk roger. It was because it was thought to be an aphrodisiac. I think that is where the saying comes from, "absinth makes the heart grow fonder." cheers, albi

hi, if its true i need some !;)

happy daze john in oz
5th July 2011, 06:36 AM
Yes Roger, there are a number of similar drinks around. But as to Bacardi, I recall one of the officesr brining a bottle on board in Las Palmas and he thought it tasted a bit odd. One of the other engineers who was a bit of a chemist of sorts claimed that it was about 50% kerosene. No wonder some of it burned with a blue flame. Could have been Esso Blue????

alf corbyn
5th July 2011, 10:24 AM
hi lads. my first time in wellington(NZ) was during the dock strike. and we used to work down the holds for great wages. parties every night plenty of money. one of the boys had asthma and at that time they had sprays for it in large chrome containers. he discovered that the refills were a green cotton wool soaked in what he said was bensadrine, ( the stuff that keeps you awake) so we were all buying this and chewing it, and sure enough it was great. when we finally left nz i was walking around with my eyelashes tied to my boots. it was like a ship of the walking dead. my cousin had given me a dozen quarts of home brew and we worked out it would be ideal to drink by the time we reached panama. it was the strongest beer i had ever had, and i was semi-drunk for a week. great days and memories. alf