PDA

View Full Version : shawsaville line rms tamaroa

lennon
16th June 2011, 11:04 AM
just looking at some of the shaw saville ships i was on the old Tamaroa from 3 7 53 till30 8 54 which was her last trip i believe did one trip waiting in the aft dinning room then i went back to the galley to a bit more sanity not much comfit in the Tamaroa but lots of laughs and smiles spent a week or more in the ships hospital on her three days in a coma because of the heat in the galley 'low deck head oil fires no air con in those days' i the second steward s name was gray the chief cook was a small Liverpool bloke and head waiter & veg cook where Polish blokes the where hard days but we had our share of laughs which is what British merchant seaman got by on cheers lennon

alf corbyn
17th June 2011, 11:15 AM
hi lennon. i was on the mataroa in bluff with the tamaroa tied up by us. the first person i met when i visited her was linda, one of the assistant stewards, who i had known from another ship. i soon left haha. ii was at an antiques fair in london. and just missed buying a painting of the tamaroa someone beat me to it. alf

jenny
17th June 2011, 10:43 PM
Good to see you back on deck Alf, hope it all went well for you. Not too good here EQ's and all that stuff. An epicentre right under my house the other day, felt as if I had been bombed. Some smart alex suggested that 'The earth had finally moved for me ' !Could be true too haaaaa. Done alot of crying I can tell you.

Charlie Hannah
18th June 2011, 01:46 AM
I Joined S.S.Mataroa for the run job to the breakers.27Jan 56 paid off Feb3rd / 56.

happy daze john in oz
18th June 2011, 05:18 AM
Good to see you back on deck Alf, hope it all went well for you. Not too good here EQ's and all that stuff. An epicentre right under my house the other day, felt as if I had been bombed. Some smart alex suggested that 'The earth had finally moved for me ' !Could be true too haaaaa. Done alot of crying I can tell you.

Having only experienced one shock back on Boxing day I have only a small idea of what you and the others have been going through. It must be hell on earth for you not knowing what is coming next, how do you cope with it is my first thought? Just hope you and your survive it all and get your life back.

jenny
18th June 2011, 08:19 AM
Thanks John, it hasnt been easy I can tell you , I thought I had become used to them but when you get 27 biggens in one day your nerves begin to fray. To date we have had 7350 after-shocks since Sept, that must be some sort of record. I lost it yesterday and couldnt stop crying, dont know why as we have been spared the damage that others have incured, maybe it is 'surviver guilt' as there are so many people suffering through lack of action by council and government. I dont think they will ever raise the money to pay people out. Whole districts will have to be moved.Who was it said 'the end is nigh', seems like it to us.

jenny
18th June 2011, 08:34 AM
Make that 7351, just had a huge one under my chair, nearly threw the computer off my desk...wish they would go away

alf corbyn
18th June 2011, 09:37 AM
hi jenny. i am very sorry to hear you are still having all those shocks and tremors. i have only experienced the one in wellington, and i know we have them in the uk but not noticable except on graphs. unfortunatly the powers that be tend to help what they call the third world countries, and assume because we are white or of european descent that we can do without all the aid and help that these countries get. keep your chin up love and i wish you well. alf

Glenn Baker
18th June 2011, 10:19 AM
Hi Jenny I was talking to an old shipmate of mine Joseph Lamb who is living in Christchurch too he was very frightened by that last big tremor. I can quite understand the tears, i realy can the stress factor and not knowing anything would be absolutely fearful. My very best to you. Glenn Baker Australia ex Port Line

alf corbyn
18th June 2011, 06:23 PM
hi charles hannah. nice to have you on site, but did not like the sad news about an old and well loved ship going to its death. couldn't someone have a large cemetary somewhere with small plaques of all the ships we sailed on that are no more. i know its not possible but they all had some great memories for us all. alf

Nic Bryant
4th August 2011, 01:36 PM
My father Keith Bryant was a member of the Merchant Navy working his way up to Chief Engineer and I believe the Tamaroa was his first boat on joining. He never talked much of his navy days to his children. When he built a small dinghy he called it Tamaroa II and told us it was named after his first boat (I also made a model boat as a boy called Tamaroa III).

I know he sailed to New zealand on a number of occasions also I believe Australia, Spain and Portugal; mainly by the presents brought back for our mother.

He left the Merchant Navy in the late 50s, early 60s before I was born and unfortunately died a few years back so there is no one left who knows anything of those times. It would be interesting if anyone does remember him from all those years ago.

Yours,
Nic Bryant

Ian Martyn
23rd December 2018, 06:24 AM
just looking at some of the shaw saville ships i was on the old Tamaroa from 3 7 53 till30 8 54 which was her last trip i believe did one trip waiting in the aft dinning room then i went back to the galley to a bit more sanity not much comfit in the Tamaroa but lots of laughs and smiles spent a week or more in the ships hospital on her three days in a coma because of the heat in the galley 'low deck head oil fires no air con in those days' i the second steward s name was gray the chief cook was a small Liverpool bloke and head waiter & veg cook where Polish blokes the where hard days but we had our share of laughs which is what British merchant seaman got by on cheers lennon

Hi Ian here - I am doing some research into a former Chief Steward out of Liverpool whom I believe was on the Tamaraoa and emigrating to Auckland departed approx 8 July 1954 - this must have been the second to last voyage of Tamaroa? The man's name was Albert STANDRING from Prestayn, Wales - joined as a Cabin Boy in 1947 and paid off c1952. Ever hear or know of him? Appreciate any info - Albert died in Auckland in 1972 at the grand old age of 49 years. Pic attached.

Regards, Ian