PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Oil Shipping Co.

John Albert Evans
1st June 2011, 04:18 PM
Hello,
Wondering if any ex Eagle Oil Shipping Co. tankermen out there reading this.
I sailed with them from 1957 to 1962 in the catering department, Galley Boy,Assistant Steward,2.Steward, 2nd. Cook and Baker.

Cheers

Ian Esson
3rd June 2011, 11:57 PM
I did a 3 mth. trip as a deckhand on the San Ambrosio Feb-Apr 1957. Not the best of ships,just enough to warn me off any others. I'm sure they weren"t all that way. But once bitten twice shy.....Ian

len mazza
4th June 2011, 11:14 PM
Hi'
Iwas on the San Felipe 59/60 and San Edmundo 61/62,apart from the OM. on the Edmundo two good ships and crews,stayed with Shell until '67.I was A/S. on the EO.jobs.

Len Mazza R621945.

Tony Whatmore
5th June 2011, 07:43 PM
Hi John
I did a couple of trips on the San Venancio Early 1956. EDH at the time.
Good crew, food could have been better if I remember right.
Maracibo Lakes, Curacoe. Aruba and up to New York and Boston
Tony Whatmore R608686

Ian Esson
7th June 2011, 06:19 PM
Hello,
Wondering if any ex Eagle Oil Shipping Co. tankermen out there reading this.
I sailed with them from 1957 to 1962 in the catering department, Galley Boy,Assistant Steward,2.Steward, 2nd. Cook and Baker.

Cheers

If you're interested in seeing more of Eagle Oil ships check out Shell tankers by Kees Helder | Helderline.nl (http://www.helderline.nl) Lots of good photos and news of Eagle Oil and Shell
Ian

Stewart Martin
10th June 2011, 06:41 PM
i sailed on the San LEONARDO from 59 to late 60 when we laid up in Lough Swilley in Ireland, iwas cheif cook and she was a good ship, we sailed the Gulf, Cuacao ,Argentina, New York al over the place so i was glad to pay off in Londinderry but ihad a good time on her. If there is any crew members around or any one who sailed on the Leonardo please get in touchon this site All the Best Stewart MARTIN

John Albert Evans
11th June 2011, 09:55 AM
Hello Stewart
I was assistant steward on the San Leonardo 22/12/58 to 3/6/59.
I worked by on her at Wallsend (Swan HUnters) before we sailed.
I know she was an old T2 Tanker but it was a really good ship, good crew and food.
I was a company man with Eagle Oil until 1963 which was after Shell took them over.

David Howden
22nd July 2011, 04:55 AM
Hello all,

I was first trip apprentice on the San Wenceslao (went so slow she nearly stopped) from late 1958 to early 1959, then San Fabian, San Edmundo, then Joe Shell took over and changed all the names, oh happy, oily, hungry days.

R699215

donacarney
30th August 2011, 04:59 AM
sailed on San Fabian from Tilbury on 08 October 1963 to 21 st February 1964. Curacao and Cardon to USA , Canada then to Ellesmere port and Pay-off. We got lots of time in port so with a ship full of pissheads we had quite a good time. We also dry docked in Curacao for some weeks so you can imagine Happy-valley was hoppin.

Glenn Baker
30th August 2011, 11:02 AM
I was on the Vermetus which before that was an Eagle oil Tanker, pretty good job we did Cracao the U.S.A. coast Maracaiba Aruba . Vermetus had a San name before. Glenn Baker

John Albert Evans
30th August 2011, 11:34 AM
Hello Glen,

Thanks for that, the 'Vermetus' originally was the San Calisto, an Eagle Oil 33,000. ton tanker built in 1959.

John Albert Evans

Graham Payne
30th August 2011, 02:58 PM
Hi all
Via the pool at Tilbury I signed on ( what I was told ) was the "San Fernando" joined it in Dry Dock in Hamburg, on going up the gangway one of the other lads said "OH NO" they have changed the name to "Hemicardium" a bloody "Joe Shell" tanker. ARGHH " shanghied " big time and this on my 18th birthday March '65 :mad: .
Lucky enough we only went to Cureaceo then back to Thameshaven, all paid off toot sweet.:)
Apologies to others but to me "Shell Tankers" a big no no.:o

ROBERT PALFREMAN
11th November 2011, 07:32 PM
hi was wondering if anyone remembers my dad robert (bob) palfreman he sailed with eagle oil from about 1955 to 61? jackie palfreman

Ray Buck
11th November 2011, 08:39 PM
Jackie
Can’t help a lot but this may jog someones memory

there was a Robert J Palfreman signed on the “ San Leonardo” in Rotterdam as 2nd Steward which arrived New London 2nd October 1958 from Venezuela his dis A No R608492 DoB circa 1937

Robert John Palfreman age 16 signed on in London 8th May 1954 the “Levenpool” as Catering Boy (his first trip) the ship arrived New York 15th June 1954 having sailed from Baie comaeu he was also aboard when the ship arrived again in New York 1st July 1954

Robert John Palfreman arrived back in London 1st November 1956 on the “Highland Princess” having embarked as a passenger in La Plata as a DBS travelling on Dis A R608492 gave an address 8 Hynton Road Dagenham

Ray

Terence watts
28th December 2011, 02:48 PM
My dad was on that ship Terry Watts in catering did you know him.

John Albert Evans
28th December 2011, 03:11 PM
hi was wondering if anyone remembers my dad robert (bob) palfreman he sailed with eagle oil from about 1955 to 61? jackie palfreman

Dear Jackie,

I sailed on the San Leonardo with Bob Palfreman who was second steward, I was assisant steward.
If this is the Bob I sailed with he was from I think Dagenham and he had a Black and Pink two toned Ford Zepher or Zodiac. We were very good friends and I stayed at his house for 2 weeks after we paid off and before I returned home to Wales. We kept in touch for a while by letter but we never met again, I do often think about him and we had some good times together.

All the best

John

ROBERT PALFREMAN
8th September 2016, 12:53 AM
Jackie
Can’t help a lot but this may jog someones memory

there was a Robert J Palfreman signed on the “ San Leonardo” in Rotterdam as 2nd Steward which arrived New London 2nd October 1958 from Venezuela his dis A No R608492 DoB circa 1937

Robert John Palfreman age 16 signed on in London 8th May 1954 the “Levenpool” as Catering Boy (his first trip) the ship arrived New York 15th June 1954 having sailed from Baie comaeu he was also aboard when the ship arrived again in New York 1st July 1954

Robert John Palfreman arrived back in London 1st November 1956 on the “Highland Princess” having embarked as a passenger in La Plata as a DBS travelling on Dis A R608492 gave an address 8 Hynton Road Dagenham

Ray

hi ray , im so sorry but for some reason i have just seen the replies , thankyou so much my dad will be thrilled when i show him , i really appriciated your help . jackie

- - - Updated - - -

hi john, i have just seen these replies ! im so sorry that i didnt see them earlier , i will tell dad and he will be so excited , thanks so much javckie

Andrew Broderick
19th September 2017, 08:32 PM
Hi,

Does anyone remember my dad, Richard George Broderick? I don't know what years he sailed or what ships he sailed on for EOSC, but he was born in 1934 so would have been 20 in 1954. I think he made the rank of First Mate at one point. He was from Surrey.

Thanks very much.