PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Cap Badge

John Downs
9th May 2011, 03:32 PM
Wonder if anyone can help in identifying the attached cap badge photo. There appears to be a red penant on the rt hand side with a letter "F" and in a gold circle a symbol that seems to identify it as a "Furness Withy" motif. On the left hand side is a blue penant containing what looks like a wheatsheaf or similar.
As far as I can ascertain there was a Sheaf Steam Shipping Co. of Newcastle Their house flag was a wheat sheaf on a pale blue background. The Sheaf Steam Shipping Co.or part of it was sold to Ben Line in around 1976. It had no connection with the Furness Group
John Downs

Ray Buck
9th May 2011, 04:55 PM
Could it be Furness Houlder Argentine Line see
British shipping companies (F) (http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/gb~hff.html#falk)
Ray

John Downs
14th May 2011, 11:32 AM
Ray,
Thanks for your reply, it looks as if the badge was made as a replica of Furness Prince line but they didn't get it right! I have been sent a copy of a proper Furness Prince Line badge which shows a blue pennant on the right hand side, with a black circle and two red bands and a red pennant on the left had side which has a gold fleur de lis on it. please see attached picture.

John

Mary Marrow
25th July 2012, 09:43 PM
I'm a very new member with a query!
My Great Uncle George Roberts born in Cheshire June 1858 was an engineer. I have just been given this photo and cannot find anything about the cap badge.10300 It has a flag with a cross on it, bottom right, a ship next to that and an anchor above.