PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Grandfathers History

Maxine Scrivener
8th March 2011, 05:12 AM
Hi All, my name is Maxine Scrivener nee Spackman. I am interested in tracing my Grandfathers history. His name was William G Spackman, born around 1896 in the UK and was accidentally killed at Goomalling Western Australia 21-12-1936.We believe that he did service in the Merchant Navy or some other service. I have attached a photograph of him in uniform in the hope that some might recognize the the service from the badges or uniform. Any information that might give us a starting point in this search will be much appreciated.
Thank you very much regards Maxine. Email willmax08@gmail.com4222

DeepSea
8th March 2011, 11:19 AM
Looks like the uniform of a Royal Marine

Doc Vernon
8th March 2011, 05:56 PM
Indeed its the Roayal Marine Light Infantry Badge!
So thats a start!
Hope it may assist!
Cheers

The following link may asist in narrowing down the search at the National Archives

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/rm-other-ranks.htm

Could it possibly have been that the name was not correctly entered on Enlistment!Or that he may have used another name??
I ask as there is this entry !
Spackman, Frederick George Born 1987 just one year out,and in those days its possible an error was made,or the person changed his name for some reason!

See attachment

PS Thanks to other sources for assistance as well!

Maxine Scrivener
10th March 2011, 03:08 AM
Thanks to everyone that has responded, we know a little more now but still have some way to go . From memory I think that service in China or HongKong was mentioned some years back and also a musical instrument,maybe cornet or bugle which may have indicated that he was a bandsman? All relatives that may be able to help here have since long passed on. once again thanks a lot Regards Maxine