PDA

View Full Version : Ships sailed on 1975 1982

ANDREW MC CARTHY
29th January 2011, 09:01 PM
Joined the tamar as catering boy in 1975 then the poplar loyalty dragoon wye minab, marun .ranger ,esk ,loyalty[again] patience , kennet ,reliance. Ended on the avon as second steward . Happy days wish i could do it all over again

John Howard Wilson
7th February 2011, 08:17 PM
Hi Andrew. Was I the catering/ off when you where on the Dragoon as I did '76 to 78 on her ? Best wishes, John

ANDREW MC CARTHY
8th February 2011, 08:18 PM
Hi john nice to hear from you . You were the catering officer on the dragoon when i was on it. I was a/s at the time harry barkwith was the cook , dow jones was the old man rackingnmy brains to remember who else was on there at the time. Regards andrew

kevjacko
21st March 2011, 09:54 PM
Hi john nice to hear from you . You were the catering officer on the dragoon when i was on it. I was a/s at the time harry barkwith was the cook , dow jones was the old man rackingnmy brains to remember who else was on there at the time. Regards andrew

Hi Andy,

I might have been on the Avon with you. 1982 MOD charter down the Falklands. Les Hawkins was Chief Cook, John Rice 2nd cook, Glen Dalglish A/S I was last trip Galley Boyon her. It was the first of the Redundancies If I remember right.

aspinall
17th July 2011, 07:34 PM
Andrew - when were you on the Minab, i was first trip deck cadet back in 78/79 - in the midst of the Iranian Revolution - weird days for a 16 year old!

nigel aspinall

Jeremy Minter
25th September 2011, 09:12 PM
Hi Andrew, I was an S2 on the Br.Avon with you Sept '82 to Jan '83 on the MOD charter to the Falkland (Joined Gibralter/ Paid off Rosyth). I may aslo have been with you on Br. Reliance Mar '82 - July '82 (joined Khor Fakaan / Paid off Fiinart).

Full M N. history.

I was at Gravesend (sea training school) sept-dec 1980.
My first ship was Br Resolution feb-june '81.
Br.Avon sept '81- jan '82.
Br Reliance mar '82- jul '82.
Br. Avon sept ' 82 - jan '83.
M.V. Vic Bilh feb '83 - june '83.
S.S. Sivand aug '83 - dec '83.
M.V. Vic Bilh feb ' 84 - june '84.
Br. Avon aug '84 - dec '84.

A fantastic experience for a 16 year old and as you say 'happy days'.

I struggle to remember all the names of the people i sailed with but my first 3 trips were with another deck boy called Steven 'shep' Shepherd. The Avon certainly was my ship after 3 trips !!.

Regards Jeremy ( J.R.)

Tommy the T
25th September 2011, 09:34 PM
Hi Jeremy Minter....

I was at Gravesend from November 1980 to January 1981, had a Christmas break in between.

I was on the Uganda for 9 months after the Falklands conflict running as supply ship between Ascension / Port Stanley..

all the best

Tommy the T ( aka Andy )

Jeremy Minter
26th September 2011, 11:11 PM
Hi, There was a guy called John Carr who I travelled with from Norwich to Gravesend whilst we were at training college. He must have been in or around your intake week. Are you still in the M.N ? How long were you at sea for ? And what do you do now ?

I was only in for 4yrs and worked for BP the whole time. Saw some great places in a short time, what a great start to a working life - a bit boring now as i have worked in a bank for 17 yrs !!

Regards Jeremy

John Brooks
29th September 2011, 07:27 PM
Hello Jeremy Minter
was steve(shep)sheperd dad a cpo with BP
regards John Brooks

Jeremy Minter
4th October 2011, 07:06 PM
Hi John,
Not that I know. I sailed with 'shep' 3 times, our first 3 trips at sea. He and I were age 16 in 1981.
Blimey, thats scary !!!

Regards Jeremy

Tommy the T
4th October 2011, 07:33 PM
Hi, There was a guy called John Carr who I travelled with from Norwich to Gravesend whilst we were at training college. He must have been in or around your intake week. Are you still in the M.N ? How long were you at sea for ? And what do you do now ?

I was only in for 4yrs and worked for BP the whole time. Saw some great places in a short time, what a great start to a working life - a bit boring now as i have worked in a bank for 17 yrs !!

Regards Jeremy

My apologies Jeremy, I missed this post:o

The name John Carr doesn,t ring any bells I,m afraid,
I was in "E" Class,Catering, joined date was I think around the Novenber 4th.

Sadly I left the sea in 1987 after being made redundant from P&O cruises, met my first wife on the Canberra whilst we were both Public Room Stewards.

Strangely my working life has been varied since I left the sea.....Owned my own Hotel in Blackpool, onto running Pubs for a few years then almost 20 yrs in the Transport industry & now.......I make chassis,s for the kit car industry, self employed etc.

I truly enjoyed my time at sea, did the Falklands thing, worked on deep sea cargo ships & finally cruise ships & so saw quite a few different sides of life at sea in a relatively short time....happy memories :cool:

all the best
Tommy the T ( aka Andy )

Ivan Cloherty
18th October 2011, 08:09 AM
Good Day all ,

I was just wondering if anyone sailed with my grandfather John Campbell who was a chief officer / Captain for BP during this time.

It would be great to chat to someone that sailed with him and find out the ships he sailed in etc

He was from South Usit but lived in Glasgow & Grangemouth during this time

Cheers

Hi Laurence

You have already asked this question in another post, we appreciate you may be anxious for replies, but if you raise an answer to your question it may be on a post that you somehow miss (it happens), so it is best just to stick to the one post, the one named after your father, otherwise you may miss a reply.

This is just an observation made with the best of intentions, so good luck in your endeavours

Ivan

Steve west
30th October 2011, 06:42 AM

I was on the dragoon as cat/boy 25th oct 78 - 22nd feb 79 left her in Hamburg

Jeremy Minter
4th November 2011, 08:37 PM
Hi Andrew, I was an S2 on the Br.Avon with you Sept '82 to Jan '83 on the MOD charter to the Falkland (Joined Gibralter/ Paid off Rosyth). I may aslo have been with you on Br. Reliance Mar '82 - July '82 (joined Khor Fakaan / Paid off Fiinart).

Full M N. history.

I struggle to remember all the names of the people i sailed with but my first 3 trips were with another deck boy called Steven 'shep' Shepherd. The Avon certainly was my ship after 3 trips !!.

Regards Jeremy ( J.R.)
Share this post on Digg
Del.icio.us
Technorati
Twitter

kevjacko
6th November 2011, 06:26 PM

Full M N. history.

Regards Jeremy ( J.R.)
Share this post on Digg
Del.icio.us
Technorati
Twitter

Hi Jeremy,

I was on the Avon with you and Shep that trip 82 thro 83. I was Galley Boy. I remember the bosun was Archie Biggins, and wasn't there a PO called John, Irish fellow who like to sink 5 fingers of any short at a time.there was another S1 called Phil Young. The cook was big Les Hawkins. The other Bob Shepherd mentioned earlier in the thread was no relation to Shep I sailed with him later on the Gas Enterprise (I think)

Jeremy Minter
24th November 2011, 06:22 PM
Well remembered KevJacko.
I remember Archie and Phil now you have mentioned thier names. Do you have any old 'Fleet News' with crew lists or, like me did you bin them years ago ?
How long did you stay with BP and what do you do now ? I can remember your name but can't picture you.
I have been a Financial Adviser for 27 years for my sins, quite different to 1982. Were you on board when we went to Singapore ? I took my daughters back there last year for a holiday - it's changed needless to say.
Have a good Christmas & New Year, Regards Jeremy

ANDREW MC CARTHY
5th December 2011, 10:17 PM
Andrew - when were you on the Minab, i was first trip deck cadet back in 78/79 - in the midst of the Iranian Revolution - weird days for a 16 year old!

nigel aspinall

hi nigelwe must have been on the minab at the same time on bandar mashar bandar abass shuttle 4 months from one end of the gulf to the other and back again. think bob nener was the skipper if my memory serves me well

kevjacko
30th January 2012, 03:34 PM
Well remembered KevJacko.
I remember Archie and Phil now you have mentioned thier names. Do you have any old 'Fleet News' with crew lists or, like me did you bin them years ago ?
How long did you stay with BP and what do you do now ? I can remember your name but can't picture you.
I have been a Financial Adviser for 27 years for my sins, quite different to 1982. Were you on board when we went to Singapore ? I took my daughters back there last year for a holiday - it's changed needless to say.
Have a good Christmas & New Year, Regards Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Somewhere packed away I have some photo's though not many from that trip. There is definetly one of yourself and Phil on the poop deck. I recently moved house so they could be anywhere I'll try and dig them out though. I stayed with BP nigh on till the end (87) then went North Sea for a few years.

I work as a Technician now installing medical oxygen systems. Been ashore since 94.

Sol Haghi
20th October 2014, 04:23 AM
Hi Jeremy!

You may be able to help, looking for a bit of info on the Sivand and ex crew. Do you recall a Mehdi Jeloos-Haghi think he would have been in training at the time and or just qualified and on his first few journeys on the tanker as a NIOTC employee.

Let me know

cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Jeremy,

I was on the Avon with you and Shep that trip 82 thro 83. I was Galley Boy. I remember the bosun was Archie Biggins, and wasn't there a PO called John, Irish fellow who like to sink 5 fingers of any short at a time.there was another S1 called Phil Young. The cook was big Les Hawkins. The other Bob Shepherd mentioned earlier in the thread was no relation to Shep I sailed with him later on the Gas Enterprise (I think)

Hi Jeremy!

You may be able to help, looking for a bit of info on the Sivand and ex crew. Do you recall a Mehdi Jeloos-Haghi think he would have been in training at the time and or just qualified and on his first few journeys on the tanker as a NIOTC employee.

Let me know

cheers

kevjacko
19th April 2015, 08:49 PM
Hey up Jerry. I think I just remember you from the Br Avon. I was galley boy on her. If I remember right your Bosun was Archie Biggins. I also remember Shep, and another AB called Phil Young. Good Days they were.

andy collins
7th September 2015, 08:37 AM
Hi andrew were you on the avon when it was down the falklands . That was my second trip aged 17 and I think I recognise your name . Stayed with bp for 7 years now a firefighter but loved my days at sea .

John park
23rd October 2015, 06:40 PM
Good evening,

I am hoping someone can help me, I am looking for anyone that may have served with my dad Ian Park.
He left BP as catering officer and was from Aberdeen but lived in South Wales.
Thanks in advance

Evan Lewis
24th October 2015, 01:26 AM
Good to see the replies, and the amount of re- unification engendered.
Went to many of "Those Far Away Places, With the Strange Sounding Names" though the one in the Quote .intrigues'

aslo have been with you on Br. Reliance Mar '82 - July '82 (joined Khor Fakaan / Paid off Fiinart).

Reminded now ,of A.B. from Dartford.used the expression frequently. It started with Cor! F. etc and ended with LL.