PDA

View Full Version : Transvaal Castle/ S.A.Vaal

Peter Dougla Japp
22nd January 2011, 02:56 AM
Spent 3 years on this ship, any other crew remember her?

happy daze john in oz
22nd January 2011, 04:56 AM
G'day peter and welcome to the site. Do you have any dates for your time on the Transvaal? Recall seeing her arrive in CapeTown on her maiden voyage, a rather grey morning at that. If you can post the dates you will I am sure hear from some others who sailed on her.
So sit back with a cold one and enjoy the voyage.

Doc Vernon
22nd January 2011, 06:24 AM
Hi Peter
Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good Merchant Navy site!
Here you will find lots of info,a good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
So sit back grab a Tinny,relax and just enjoy the trip!
Hope we will have you here for a long time! Have a happy stay!
A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!
Cheers

I was also with the Union Castle but i think a bit before you?
Hope you will get some replies fromthose who may have served on her with you!

If you would like to join in and have your Full name R Number included then Please join the Crew List and leave full details on the Registration Form.

This form can be found at the following Link for your convience!

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/misc.php?do=form&fid=1

Thank you
Vernon (castleman)

Ian Warren
22nd January 2011, 04:24 PM
Hi Peter,

I used to see SA Vaal in Cape Town when I worked on Pendennis Castle as a 16 year old bell boy, back in 1972.

Although I never worked on her when she was the Vaal, I did actually cruise on her in 1997 when she was sailing under the guise of Island Breeze. By then she was owned by Festivale but charted out to Thomson Cruises. It was my first cruise and it wasn't until I was visiting the bridge and they gave us a 'fact and figures' sheet, that I realised she used to be the Vaal. It was quite a shock I can tell you.

I now sell cruises, so still have that link with the sea, and have just returned from a very enjoyable Nile river cruise.

Ian :)

Peter Dougla Japp
22nd January 2011, 05:08 PM
Was with Union Castle from July 1964 till May 1974

Patrick Collins
27th February 2011, 09:03 PM
HI Peter, Patrick Collins here, I was on the Vaal 69 to 70, met my wife on the ship she was also crew (telephonist) had an accedent whiles on leave and decided not to return to sea got married instead,41 years this time, still happy but cant get rid of the salt in my blood, have my own fishing boat and out on the water as often as I can,hope to hear from you, Regards Patrick.

Tim Atherton
9th March 2011, 10:13 AM
Hi

I joined Union Castle in May of 1974 and after a short time ashore, I joined the Vaal as Junior Purser (Catering). After 4 trips I was promoted to 3rd Purser (Catering) and mnoved to the S.A. Oranje. I was on her when she sailed for Durban on her last voyage and after flying back to the UK with most of the crew rejoined the Vaal until I left the company in June of 1976. Very happy times that I fondly remember. The Vaal was one of the true liners - beautiul lines and grace not like some of the monsters about today.

adrianvare
21st April 2011, 08:03 AM
Was on Transvaal Castle in 1965, and when she went to SA VAAL, left about 1970. On her when the stewardess went over the side. Captain Lloyed was there.Was saloon boy at time, then promoted to Bell boy...happy days

vic mcclymont
21st April 2011, 08:45 PM
Was on Transvaal Castle in 1965, and when she went to SA VAAL, left about 1970. On her when the stewardess went over the side. Captain Lloyed was there.Was saloon boy at time, then promoted to Bell boy...happy days

I sailed on the SA VAAL November 69 until December 70. Started as 4th Leckie, eventually second Leckie.
Wasn't a Stewardess who went over the side, it was a passenger.

GaryP
5th May 2011, 04:44 AM
I don't suppose you would remember a young South African stowaway on board the SA Vaal at the end of 1970?

vic mcclymont
5th May 2011, 11:23 AM
Sorry don't remember a stowaway

vic mcclymont
6th May 2011, 11:20 AM
Sorry don't remember that incident.
On the Ranald we recieved a message from the northbound Mail ship, that they had a stowaway onboard. We were requested to meet with her and transfer the stowaway. We change course and prepared our lifeboat for the pickup only to be informed by the mailship that the weather was to bad for the transfer.

adrianvare
12th July 2011, 09:40 PM
this was 1965 her name was Irean bowen she jumped off port eliz...there was also a passenger that jumped but i was not on her then, or cant remember

adrianvare
12th July 2011, 09:46 PM
I sailed on the SA VAAL November 69 until December 70. Started as 4th Leckie, eventually second Leckie.
Wasn't a Stewardess who went over the side, it was a passenger.I no that a passenger went over the side , but this was a stewardette 1965 her name was Irean Bower or something like that

George
14th July 2011, 07:12 AM
Spent 3 years on this ship, any other crew remember her?

Hi Peter, Done three trips on her as the Transvaal Castle back in 1962 one trip Ass Boots two trips as Bath steward
George
in Southampton

happy daze john in oz
15th July 2011, 06:33 AM
Hi Peter, Done three trips on her as the Transvaal Castle back in 1962 one trip Ass Boots two trips as Bath steward
George
in Southampton

George mate if you were on her them you may have met a winger from the Windsor name of Jimmy Keneally, very nice Irish guy, bit of a lad at times.

adrianvare
15th July 2011, 08:58 PM
Wasn't a Stewardess who went over the side, it was a passenger. it was ...1965 her name was Irean ,,,:mad:

adrianvare
15th July 2011, 09:41 PM
Wasn't a Stewardess who went over the side, it was a passenger.

am trying to find details of an Irene Bowell who died in the mid-sixties from a cruise ship. I've found a marine death entry for someone of the same name on the Transvaal Castle in 1965. Can anyone give me any details of this death, please?
jancestry@tiscali.co.uk

George
16th July 2011, 08:16 AM
George mate if you were on her them you may have met a winger from the Windsor name of Jimmy Keneally, very nice Irish guy, bit of a lad at times.

Hi John, The name sounds familier but I truely can't put a face to it, next time I see my old mucker from my days on the Vaal, I will ask if he can remember him.
George in Southampton

Nigel Smith
16th July 2011, 08:44 AM
The person that went over the wall in 1970 was a male passenger, as I remember it was after the ship left Las Palmas. The person was in the water for something like 12 hours and found alive after the ship went back, the Chief Officer at the time was a little fella by the name of Wilson.

Nigel.

Peter Dougla Japp
13th August 2011, 01:34 AM
The passenger that went over the side was a Bill Honeywill who we found after 11 1/2 hrs in the sea. he was spotted approx 30 yards off the original course and the S.A. Vaal Captain at the time was Alan Freer, W. Deacon was the 1st engineer and I was the engine mechanic on the rescue boat.

Soz for the late reply
PJ

Peter Dougla Japp
13th August 2011, 01:54 AM
The passengers name was William Honeywill, the Captain was Alan Freer, I was the mechanic on the engine of the rescue boat. 1st engineer was W. Deacon, Engine room leading hand was Robert (bob) Cutler

Humphreys Cahrles
17th August 2011, 11:29 AM
spent 3 years on this ship, any other crew remember her?

i was on the sa.vaal early seventies , rating toast boy yea made toast all day sad eh!
Stewardess went overboard on that trip im sure????? girl from liverpool.( DEFO GIRL CREW MEMBER LOST AT SEA DURING THE 70S I REMEMBER READING IT AS WELL WHEN WE GOT TO CAPE TOWN I WAS ON ANOTHER UNION CASTLE BOAT BUT CANT REMEMBER WHICH ONE
Frankie howard done show on that trip then come down into the pig and whistle to do one for the crew .only done the one trip was a boy.
Vaal was known as queen of the seas i beleive.
Thinl we were 8 to a cabin

Gulliver
17th August 2011, 01:36 PM
I was on the sa.vaal early seventies , rating toast boy yea made toast all day sad eh!

Hi Charles.Do you know I’ve learned more about the MN on this site,than I ever did in 20 years, at sea,especially since I was not a passenger ship man,and therefore didn’t really know what all their many ranks or ratings were.
‘Toast Boy’…how demeaning is that?…not an official rating surely !.
Don’t get me wrong,I’m not scorning it ,I’m just amazed and saddened that someone who goes to sea had the job of doing that all day. It just shows you that passenger ships were down by the head with catering/hotel staff,in those days; no-one must have heard of multitasking,let alone practised it.
I wonder if even the Captain knew he had a ‘Toast Boy’ signed on his vessel.?:eek:

It must have been awful for you to be asked what did you do at sea., and give the reply “ I made toast all day “.
Please don’t think I’m snobbish (I’m not),but…. Toast Boy ?
Yes I know you were probably officially signed on as eighth junior galley boy or something ..but to just…….make toast?
No wonder the rot set in for the over staffed catering crews of passenger liners in the sixties..
As you can tell I’m a bit gob-smacked !

(And I bet you just hate the sight of toast now…. don‘t you?...go on,admit it,you do.:D

All the Best ;)
Gulliver
P.S. Just thought I’d attach the following You Tube Video…..it’s taken on a whole new meaning for me now !
VIDEO - TOAST (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJmKStqugMc)

Humphreys Cahrles
17th August 2011, 02:31 PM
Hi Gulliver
video is a classic made me laugh and I remember it now.
Well I actually love toast beleive or not. And the toast boy story actually has done the rounds (no pun intended).
So now you can add to the knowledge youve already gathered from this site.
so heres my day
pre breakfast
1. get all unsliced bread from bakers(it was all made on board) slice on bacon slicer breakfast toast size and tray up.
2. as breakfast started fill up all rotating toasters about six altogether as the toast came off cooked the stewards would slice and put into toast racks to take to dining tables. continiue till breakfast finished mabey three hours or so.
3. clean al equipment ready for the afternoon.
4. liunch rest and recreation.
5. return tea time (dinner) and start all over again no not breakfast toast MELBA TOAST for the evning meal.
6. clean all equipment ready for the next morning.
7.r+r down to the bar for some refreshments
So there you have it ha ha .its so funny when I think about now

Gulliver
17th August 2011, 02:53 PM
Hi Charlie.Thanks for your reply. Reading about others' working day aboard 'is always interesting.At sea sometimes we only have a rough idea of what our shipmates do,so to 'jobshare' like that is always enlightening.

Glad you like the video,yes corny,but hilarious..a bit of a change from the usual records in 1972. Paul Young of course went solo a few years later. The hairstyles are what most of us had !

Have to go for my tea now,Yep ! Beans.....on Toast ! :D

Cheers !
Gulliver

happy daze john in oz
18th August 2011, 03:37 AM
Sounds Charles as if you were an assitant pantry. Did similar on the Pretoria, an older ship but with an automatic bread sliceron board. All our bread came from the bakery ready sliced. Went aboard the Transvaal on her maiden voyage while in Cape Town to see a mate I had sailed with on the Windsor. He was a winger and all their accomodation was either two or four berth, no sing on an eight there.

Red Lead Ted
21st October 2011, 01:08 AM
The person that went over the wall Nigel.

The guy who went over the wall was a fellow deck worker of mine aboard the m.v. Harp a small container boat it happened after we docked in Jeddah after a few weeks at sea this guy who we named trebor he was that bloody minty.Was hurled over the side by 3 of us. He soon took to the showers.....:D:D

andy wright
2nd February 2012, 08:47 PM
i was captain wilsons table steward at this time, he was a really nice man always had nice people on his table.

andy

bobbywest
18th March 2012, 04:16 PM
was on the vaal for a few trips,remember when the guy went overboard,was on the night gang when it happend,worked with little paddy from wexford,anyone remember him?.

Ronnie Morris
2nd March 2013, 11:51 PM
Does anyone remember Joyce Clemo who was Stewardess on Vaal late 60's?

ken geater
12th March 2013, 09:33 PM
hi Pete, i am a new member.also sailed on the vaal in 1967,& again in 1973.the first time i was a j.o.s,four in a cabin.very clean ship.i remember the skipper on cabin inspection,if your bunk was not made by board of trade standard.or loose clothes hanging about,or dust.he would mess the cabin up.he used a trolley with mirror & white gloves.no joke.in 1973 was my last ever trip.not a good one,i was a e.d.h,i was given the job as swimming pool attendant i had a cabin with a lad from hull?he looked after the passenger gang way.a big lad about 6ft2,with long blond hair,that was until he got nabbed with a lot of weed in the cabin in Durban,he got eight years hard labor,we had a passenger from Capetown die.& they berried him at sea.then there was stewardess who jumped off the stern.i was on the bridge that night wot a commotion. all the alarms went off with officers shouting man overboard i spent some time in a life boat looking for her.i think the captain was not pleased because no officer on the bridge had put a marker over the side,when we got back to Southampton he gave all the crew a lecture,he was not a happy bunny.

robpage
12th March 2013, 10:48 PM
The Captain with a taste for the immaculate was Swivel Eyed Lloyd , there are a lot of discussions about him here

Paul Rushworth
19th March 2013, 08:45 PM
I was fortunate to sail the last 5 voyages as 4th Radio Officer. What an experience. Still remember so many names and places. Anyone else out there from 1977???

Jonnie Hawkins
24th March 2013, 08:48 PM
Hi
I Remember Joyce Clemo. She is my wifes Mother!
Sadly she died 30th Jan 2013 in Bournemouth.
If you new her please get in touch as Sally (Stephanie Clemo) would love to know more about the mother she never knew. Anything!!
Thanks
Jonnie

Chris Isaac
31st March 2013, 06:58 AM
I was fortunate to sail the last 5 voyages as 4th Radio Officer. What an experience. Still remember so many names and places. Anyone else out there from 1977???

This posting is trying to route you away from the site to answer a survey.
If you complete it you will be bombarded with SPAM.

adrianvare
18th January 2014, 02:46 PM
on her from 1965/68

adrianvare
18th January 2014, 02:50 PM
Helo Ken..Iwas on the Vaal when that stewardess jumped over the side ....was it off Port Eliz

Chris Isaac
19th January 2014, 09:07 AM
Helo Ken..Iwas on the Vaal when that stewardess jumped over the side ....was it off Port Eliz

Her story is here:
http://www.bandcstaffregister.co.uk/page363.html

JeffreyVetcher
5th January 2015, 06:02 PM
I was Junior third Engineer on the SA Vaal from 1972 to 1973 and remember having just getting stuck into a midday beer whem I had to turn as a stewardess had jumped overboard from the well deck. I was on 12-8 watch at time and did not get out of the engine room until midnight. Jeff Vetcher

Barry Evans
17th September 2017, 01:20 AM
Hi, was ship's photographer on board before and after name change. Gave up being ships photographer and trained as R/O and spent several years with Maersk on Danish Flag ships.

Robbie Kaye
8th July 2018, 04:01 PM
Hia Peter, i was on the Transvaal/Vaal from 25/08/1964 to 02/12/1968. was a very very good ship, i was messman/utility stwd and peak Stwd,.

Euan Davidson
16th July 2018, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the posts guys, I sailed as extra 2nd & 2nd engineer on S.A.Vaal in 1971, she was a lovely ship and they were happy days. Now trying to put together an article comparing the pax vsls of 1960's/70's with the modern monsters, can anybody assist with engine room manning level for the Vaal, I think it was C/E, 1st, 2nd, extra 2nd, junr 2nd, 3rd, extra 3rd, junr 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, Chief Elect, 2 x asst elec, Chief Refrig, 2 x asst refrig, 1 x D/man + 3 x oilers/watch plus daywork squad. Can anyone give me more definite listings. Also interested in any confirmation details for the main machinery specification (Turbines/Boilers/Evaporators/Demin plant/Turbo & diesel alternators) and any performance/consumtpion data. Any input will be gratefully received.

robpage
17th July 2018, 03:13 AM
If you look on the b&c staff register site it has the ships lists
Home (http://www.bandcstaffregister.com) they go back several years so you can check the Manning of any of the ships
I had a funny feeling that there was he for 2nd 3rd and 4th electrician on the SA Vaal , and I thought that it was all scheme alternators as opposed to a choice of Steam and diesel but I'm sure that Vic has a much better memory of it than I have

vic mcclymont
17th July 2018, 08:54 AM
The SA Vaal had four 1500kw alternators and three 250kw Petbow RR emergency diesels.
She carried 4 electricians.
I believe that the boilers (3) were of Foster Wheeler design
Her turbines were two hp,two intermediate and two LP
Vic
Ps voltage was 440v AC.

robpage
17th July 2018, 02:54 PM
Out of all the variety of generators that I sailed with over the years the Rolls-Royce straight eight D-Type 1800 RPM 60 cycle generator which I think was supposed to be swapped over for a complete exchange unit every 25000 hours was the most unreliable troublesome unit that I ever came across

vic mcclymont
17th July 2018, 04:32 PM
If memory serves m coorectly there were two companies using the RR engine, Pelafone (or similar name) and Petbow. Petbow had the more reliable controls.
Vic

robpage
17th July 2018, 05:58 PM
the Woodward governors were very complicated , but because the swap out overhaul hours went from 25.000 to 32,000 the mechanical reliability was the pits

vic mcclymont
17th July 2018, 07:07 PM
Other problems with them were:-

Weight of the alternator rotor was at the maximum distance separation for the bearing support.
The non-drive end of the exciter was unsupported (no bearing) and tend to rub on the exciter stator.
Vic

robpage
17th July 2018, 07:11 PM
I wasn't aware of that problem Vic , the fact they used to throw con rods out of the side was scary enough for me

vic mcclymont
17th July 2018, 07:22 PM
We had a young C.E. by (forget his first name) the name of Hill. He told us a story of one of the Clan R's.

On the R's the four alternators were fitted in line astern, and an removable acoustic baffle separated the Alternator flat from the E.R.
The C.E. was walking along the tops when a generator piston, shot through the baffle, the piston went through the space between his legs as he was walking. One step either way he would have been crippled.
Vic

robpage
17th July 2018, 07:40 PM
I believe there are similar stories from several of the townships with those Rolls Royce straight eight " D " engines but I still believe a lot of the problems mechanically with down to the company, extending the running hours between the engine change

vic mcclymont
17th July 2018, 07:53 PM
They were uprated from 1400RPM continuous duty to 1800rpm continuous duty without any design mods or upgrading.
They were basically designed for tractor use, hence the split sump.
Vic

robpage
17th July 2018, 08:21 PM
I noticed something in the press the other day that the Rolls-Royce marine division which I believe included Rolls-Royce diesels and the Bergen diesels in Norway has been sold off as a loss-making Enterprise I thought very much as you said here that they were engine that have been taken right to its limits . I've always assumed that the introduction of 440 volt 60 cycle was why they were upgraded to the 1800 RPM but I didn't realise that was over there design revs

happy daze john in oz
18th July 2018, 06:36 AM
Four electricians must have been the norm for all the UCL ships.

The Windsor and Pretoria both had four and assume the others were the same.

robpage
18th July 2018, 07:09 AM
the Pendennis had 3 , second electrician devoted to the engine room , 3rd to passenger services

happy daze john in oz
19th July 2018, 05:52 AM
the Pendennis had 3 , second electrician devoted to the engine room , 3rd to passenger services

We had an engineer on the Windsor, from Rhodesia, who was dedicated to servicing the passengers.
He got caught and was charged with interfering with ships cargo.

robpage
19th July 2018, 08:28 AM
A lot went on of passenger liaison duties , it was when it affected how you did your job that attention was drawn to it , and a berth on King Line loomed

Tony Taylor
19th July 2018, 01:00 PM
I noticed something in the press the other day that the Rolls-Royce marine division which I believe included Rolls-Royce diesels and the Bergen diesels in Norway has been sold off as a loss-making Enterprise I thought very much as you said here that they were engine that have been taken right to its limits . I've always assumed that the introduction of 440 volt 60 cycle was why they were upgraded to the 1800 RPM but I didn't realise that was over there design revs

Rolls Royce diesels were acquired by Perkins a long time back. I think Rolls marine was involved in offshore vessel design, they introduced a novel deign for support vessels some years back

robpage
19th July 2018, 03:46 PM
from World Maritime News

Since 2015 the company’s marine business divested non-core businesses and reduced the number of sites from 27 to 15 – an overall reduction in footprint of 40 percent. It reduced its workforce by 30 pct to 4,200, with the majority now based in the Nordic region.

At the same time, the business has been investing in new facilities and new technologies, especially in the fields of ship intelligence and autonomous vessels, culminating in June 2017 with the successful demonstration, in Copenhagen harbour, of the world’s first remotely operated commercial vessel.

Regardless of the outcome of this strategic review, Rolls-Royce will retain the marine operations which supply complex power and propulsion systems to naval customers, including the Royal Navy and US Navy.

During the first quarter of 2018, the naval operations will become part of an enlarged defence business named Rolls-Royce Defence, comprising the current Defence Aerospace business and its nuclear submarines operation. [B]The company added it would retain engine business serving marine customers within Power Systems

[/
B]
I thought Perkins , owned by Caterpillar had acquired the Shrewsbury plant and portfolio whilst the Bergen plant had been retained by Rolls Royce Holdings

John Arton
19th July 2018, 04:05 PM
Rolls Royce Marine are not manufacturers but are design consultants. As said they have produced a novel design for offshore vessels. They were also heavily involved in the design and development of the concept of autonomous vessels and design of diesel electric propulsion systems. If my memory serves me right they were the design consultants for my last company's series of new builds and bleddy ugly looking ships they are!. RR Marine was a Norwegian company, nowt to do with the cars, which are part of BMW
Rgds
J.A.

Euan Davidson
28th July 2018, 09:05 PM
Vic/Rob and all other responses, many thanks for the input, I will check out the B&C staff register site again, I had looked previously but couldn't find any reference to manning levels, maybe I just didn't dig deeply enough.
It's correct there were 3 x Foster Wheeler ESD boilers, operating @ 600psi/900deg.F.
I think 4 electricians on the Transvaal/Vaal was correct as there was a big domestic workload for them from the pax accommodation + hotel services.
440v/60 cycles was correct and 4 x 1500kwTurbo-alternators was also correct, with 3 x 170kw Rolls Royce Petbow emergency diesels.
The Transvaal/Vaal was the only one of the pax vsls not to include some diesel alternator capacity within the engine room.
If I remember correctly the start up sequence from black-out incorporated a timed/phased check sequence to ensure no overloading of the emerency switchboard during starting of boiler FD/ID fans, or Main circulating pumps etc.
As it happens I also sailed as 2nd Engineer on the Clan Robertson, which was fitted with 4 x 1800rpm rolls royce diesel alternators arranged in line fore and aft behind a removable sound screening panel on main engine cylinder head level.
As commented these were prone to throwing exhaust valves into piston crowns, resulting in smashed cylinder heads, and connecting rods out of crankcases etc.
Part of the problem was associated with the sensitivity of the governors, which was resolved by fitting the correct size and number of elastic bands to the governor linkage for damping purposes, and carring out planned maintenance for exchange of the bands after so many running hours ! Elastic bands were also added to the spares list as essential items !
The main problem however was associated with the automatic controls for the S.W. cooling ring main located below the floor plates in the engine room and the location of the diesel alternators at cylinder head level, particularly during manoeuvring. Automatic operation opening/closing of the S.W. ring main regulating valves as the main engine load increased/decreased, resulted in a momentary pressure drop/rise to the auxiliary diesels S.W. cooling supply, and one thing a rolls royce operating at full load and 1800rpm doesn't like is interruption to the cooling supply. !!
If anyone can provide any additional info ref the machinery installation on the Transvaal/Vaal, particularly the refrigeration plant I would be most grateful.

Regards to all, Euan Davidson.

Chris Isaac
29th July 2018, 06:06 AM
If you look on the crew lists on the Staff Register you will see that SA Vaal carried a Chief, 2nd 3rd and a Junior Electrician. I can find instances when Windsor carried two juniors.
The others carried Chief 2nd and 3rd.

robpage
29th July 2018, 06:06 AM
To the best of my memory it was the only one with alternating current certainly the pendennis with DC and I believe the Windsor was as well as were all the older ones

I think the evaporator was also quite memorable if I remember correctly it did something like a 400 ton a day capacity It came with a remineralizing plant to enable the water to actually have some level of taste .

As far as a fridge plant I haven't got a clue but I would suspect that it was J and E Hall

vic mcclymont
29th July 2018, 09:07 AM
Vic/Rob and all other responses, many thanks for the input, I will check out the B&C staff register site again, I had looked previously but couldn't find any reference to manning levels, maybe I just didn't dig deeply enough.
It's correct there were 3 x Foster Wheeler ESD boilers, operating @ 600psi/900deg.F.
I think 4 electricians on the Transvaal/Vaal was correct as there was a big domestic workload for them from the pax accommodation + hotel services.
440v/60 cycles was correct and 4 x 1500kwTurbo-alternators was also correct, with 3 x 170kw Rolls Royce Petbow emergency diesels.
The Transvaal/Vaal was the only one of the pax vsls not to include some diesel alternator capacity within the engine room.
If I remember correctly the start up sequence from black-out incorporated a timed/phased check sequence to ensure no overloading of the emerency switchboard during starting of boiler FD/ID fans, or Main circulating pumps etc.
As it happens I also sailed as 2nd Engineer on the Clan Robertson, which was fitted with 4 x 1800rpm rolls royce diesel alternators arranged in line fore and aft behind a removable sound screening panel on main engine cylinder head level.
As commented these were prone to throwing exhaust valves into piston crowns, resulting in smashed cylinder heads, and connecting rods out of crankcases etc.
Part of the problem was associated with the sensitivity of the governors, which was resolved by fitting the correct size and number of elastic bands to the governor linkage for damping purposes, and carring out planned maintenance for exchange of the bands after so many running hours ! Elastic bands were also added to the spares list as essential items !
The main problem however was associated with the automatic controls for the S.W. cooling ring main located below the floor plates in the engine room and the location of the diesel alternators at cylinder head level, particularly during manoeuvring. Automatic operation opening/closing of the S.W. ring main regulating valves as the main engine load increased/decreased, resulted in a momentary pressure drop/rise to the auxiliary diesels S.W. cooling supply, and one thing a rolls royce operating at full load and 1800rpm doesn't like is interruption to the cooling supply. !!
If anyone can provide any additional info ref the machinery installation on the Transvaal/Vaal, particularly the refrigeration plant I would be most grateful.

Regards to all, Euan Davidson.

Hi Euan, as confirmed by other the VAAL carried four Leckies. I started as Fourth ended up as second.
Normal start up procedure, Wednesday before departure fire up the emergency alternators. supply power to boiler room emergency busbars.
The boiler room switchboard, had two sets of busbars, normal and emergency. There was a no load switch connecting, each item of plant between the two services.

After about six hours, ship would be running on main alternator power, diesels shutdown.

From memory there were either six or eight J & E. Hall Fridge compressors.

After her refit for cruising she had a Westinghouse water cooled chiller installed in the lower deck of number four hold.

Clan R's, don't remember trouble with the water ring main, or diesel governor problems.
Biggest problem was the centrifugal switch, overhung exciters and catching fire and generally stopping without warning.

Towards the end the cold water header tank on the later models was Serc and the entwined RR removed.
During the seventies refit for UMS a Minerva Fire Alarm was installed.
Zone 4 (can remember it to this day) if it and Zone 4 lit up as it often did, you could place your bet that there was gennie either on fire or smoking badly.
Ah the god old days.

Vic

robpage
29th July 2018, 10:19 AM
The governors were too sensitive and had 4 adjusting knobs on the front , handy for fiddlers to show their knowledge by twiddling , very complex to set up , the rubber bands slowed the response , I don't remember anyone going on a Woodward course . set up correctly the voltage was stable throughout load changes .

happy daze john in oz
30th July 2018, 06:16 AM
To the best of my memory it was the only one with alternating current certainly the pendennis with DC and I believe the Windsor was as well as were all the older ones

I think the evaporator was also quite memorable if I remember correctly it did something like a 400 ton a day capacity It came with a remineralizing plant to enable the water to actually have some level of taste .

As far as a fridge plant I haven't got a clue but I would suspect that it was J and E Hall

Windsor was all DC, if you wanted to use the system for a record player or tape recorder it needed a converter.
many of us had one and they were big heavy items to carry on board

Euan Davidson
30th July 2018, 07:35 PM
Chris, many thanks I finallly found the crew list access on the BandC site, yes there were 4 electricians.

Euan Davidson
30th July 2018, 07:46 PM
Rob, Many thanks for your input, I had forgotten Transvaal was the only AC vessel. I also sailed as extra 2nd Engineer on the Edinburgh Castle and she was DC. Yes the evaporator was a 3 stage Maxim Flash unit producing 250 tons/day (Note - proper tons !) and we babied it all the time as it was a lifesaver. There was also a 60 ton/day Permutit Mixed Bed Demineraliser unit for boiler feed water. J&E Hall rings a bell for the reefer plant but I just can't find any detailed info.

Euan Davidson
30th July 2018, 07:52 PM
Vic, many thanks, good memory for some bad memories of what I believe were the Halcyon days !! Thanks for the J&E Hall reefer input.